Goodbye Jesus

Annoying Christian Thought

antix

About 5 yrs ago I arrived at the airport a little too early. There was one guy waiting at the gate ( he was in his mid 70s) with me and we started talking. He mentioned he was a christian and I said I was also. We continued talking and he started talking how the the lord george bush saved the US by launching the iraq war. I said that kids are dying and the war is a joke. He became rather upset and said since I question the sincerity of bush, I must not be a real christian.

A friend (christian, thinks like me though) was reprimanded by his minister because his minister found out my friend likes a couple beers a week. Where do these people get the idea it is a sin to have a few drinks?

I was with a friend (this was in 1988 when I started grad school) at a grocery store (she was jewish and had a small star of david necklace) and there was a table with a chritian and some literature/tracts. I said hello and mentioned I was a christian and he looked at my friend and said to me: You are unequally yoked.

It is very annoying, isn't it? Reminds me of that little saying, "Jesus, save me from your followers!" lol

• Like 1

Liberal/moderate christians can be okay or not, and mostly (in my experience) they are okay. They may not have very logical worldviews but what the heck, mine ain't either.

Morontheists (that's fanatics) on the other hand aren't really in it for any kind of belief, thought on their sides, or anything else that involves any activity in their own skulls. They are in it because in the end that's what they have been told to do. It's not about truth or logic or reason or honesty or whathaveyou for them... it's about obedience. Only obedience.

And a person with that mindset can be made to support/condemn literally everything if the right führer tells her to.

It's sickening.

• Like 1

Liberal/moderate christians can be okay or not, and mostly (in my experience) they are okay. They may not have very logical worldviews but what the heck, mine ain't either.

Morontheists (that's fanatics) on the other hand aren't really in it for any kind of belief, thought on their sides, or anything else that involves any activity in their own skulls. They are in it because in the end that's what they have been told to do. It's not about truth or logic or reason or honesty or whathaveyou for them... it's about obedience. Only obedience.

And a person with that mindset can be made to support/condemn literally everything if the right führer tells her to.

It's sickening.

That is the truth. They listen to these wackjob ministers with fucked up theologies and will not question anything. Look at Jim Jones in 1979

Yea, and Jesus said "Vote for the GOP and support costly wars for corporate profit! Do this in my holy white republican name!"

That's from the bible, right? :P

• Like 1

Yea, and Jesus said "Vote for the GOP and support costly wars for corporate profit! Do this in my holy white republican name!"

That's from the bible, right? tongue.png

What is scary is they follow these pastors / leaders without any question. Again, the most annoying ones are the happy go lucky ones with those stupid smiles on their faces.

"how the lord George Bush saved the US by launching the iraq war"

I guess Jeezus forgot to mention to George that smiting your enemy is Old Testamenty and out of style and now we're supposed to LOVE our enemies.

I'd have been a lot more impressed with Bush's faith if he'd led the nation to turn the other cheek, forgive Al Queda, and reach out to the Muslim world with compassion and friendship. I never cease to be amazed at the unbelievable hypocrisy of these people who babble about christianity and morality, but obviously don't have a problem supporting a war that's cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

• Like 4

I guess Jeezus forgot to mention to George that smiting your enemy is Old Testamenty and out of style and now we're supposed to LOVE our enemies.

I'd have been a lot more impressed with Bush's faith if he'd led the nation to turn the other cheek, forgive Al Queda, and reach out to the Muslim world with compassion and friendship. I never cease to be amazed at the unbelievable hypocrisy of these people who babble about christianity and morality, but obviously don't have a problem supporting a war that's cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

Can't +1 you, mhai bag of tricks iz empty :(

I do enjoy your posts.

YUP! Look at the extreme anti abortion ones. Pro life, until the fetus becomes a soldier 18 yrs later and gets blown up by an IED in Iraq. That is ok to them. Had a neighbor at an apt complex when I was in my 20's He was like 40 and was saying he was a hard core baptist until he found out his wife and the minister were pounding pelvises

I just read a post on another sub board about the lady whose dad is becoming a pastor: That is what I am talking about. making his daughter move out because her beliefs are not the same as his. Maybe that guy needs to read about God's unconditional love. When your beliefs supercede family and friends, you need to seriously step back and take a look at yourself.

• Like 1

I just read a post on another sub board about the lady whose dad is becoming a pastor: That is what I am talking about. making his daughter move out because her beliefs are not the same as his. Maybe that guy needs to read about God's unconditional love. When your beliefs supercede family and friends, you need to seriously step back and take a look at yourself.

Bullshit.

"God's" love isn't unconditional at all. Hell, if he followed the bible to the letter he'd have to stone her.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

When your beliefs supercede family and friends, you need to seriously step back and take a look at yourself.

+1000

Unfortunately though, that's not gonna happen in the majority of those who call themselves True ChristiansTM.

• Like 1

God's unconditional love? Huh?

For God to show you his love, you must:

• Have no other gods or idols
  • Accept his "son" Jesus as your savior and as "God" (according to the Jesus guy)
  • Love Jesus more than anyone in your family (according to the Jesus guy)
  • Not "sin" anymore (according to the Jesus guy)

If you don't do these things, then you get thrown into Hell (according to the Jesus guy). Those are some mighty big conditions there.

And, even if you somehow manage to do all of those things, God will probably still show you his "love" by hitting you with cancer or letting you get laid off from your job so that you can no longer provide for your family. What a swell guy that God is.

My problems with Christianity aren't just with the Christians. My problems stem from the belief itself.

• Like 3

My problems with Christianity aren't just with the Christians. My problems stem from the belief itself.

Antixianxian, this is what I am trying to figure out with you. You seem to think the Bible and the Christian faith have nothing to do with the way Christians act. I say that they are an intricately woven fabric and it all starts with the Bible. So to say you have nothing against the Bible/Christianity but don't like the way Christians act seems to me to be a misunderstanding on your part as they are very much related.

I agree that you have mentioned some instances where people have gone over the top, but most are not completely out of line with the directives in the Bible.

• Super Moderator

When your beliefs supercede family and friends, you need to seriously step back and take a look at yourself.

+1000

Unfortunately though, that's not gonna happen in the majority of those who call themselves True ChristiansTM.

Just to clarify, the sentence above is the only part of the comment I give +1000.

As someone married to a fundy xtian, the worst part of the marriage is that I ALWAYS am second (or tenth) fiddle to his make-believe sky-daddy and his other churchy obligations.

Years ago, I said to him, "When an imaginary friend takes precedence over any real-live-human -- especially your spouse -- it is definitely time to take a look at yourself and your beliefs."

Yeah, I was talking to a brick wall.

God's unconditional love is as non-existent as biblegod itself.

Christianity is rotten to the core.

• Like 2

"When an imaginary friend takes precedence over any real-live-human -- especially your spouse -- it is definitely time to take a look at yourself and your beliefs."

I totally agree! Our family basically lost my one brother to his church. My dad would go to visit (drive 100 miles to see him which he did not do very often because my brother was "so busy") and my brother would leave and go to a bible class. So wrong! But that's what the Christian faith expects of it's followers according to Jesus.

• Like 1

But these are the kind of followers Jesus wants according to the Bible.

• Super Moderator

"When an imaginary friend takes precedence over any real-live-human -- especially your spouse -- it is definitely time to take a look at yourself and your beliefs."

I totally agree! Our family basically lost my one brother to his church. My dad would go to visit (drive 100 miles to see him which he did not do very often because my brother was "so busy") and my brother would leave and go to a bible class. So wrong!

Yes, very wrong and very sad.

But of course that all plays into their martyr complex and they think believe they are fulfilling the words of Jesus when he said he didn't come to bring peace, but rather a sword, and to divide families.

Oh yes, that's the not-so-nice-yet-unconditionally-loving Jesus. WendyDoh.gif

• Like 1

Its part and parcel of the same cloth. These proselytizing and judging Christians are just doing what they think they are commanded by God to do. They have Biblical justification for it in spades. "Unconditional love" is not a true depiction of Biblegod. If it were, everyone would be "saved".

• Like 2

what about Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple."

Seems like Jesus demands that you do just that. the God in the bible I read demands you put him and his religion over everything else in your life even if you and your family suffer dearly for it. (because what you want doesn't matter only total obedience like a slave matters and is the only basis for rewards or punishments)

I like the liberal christians much better because some of them ignore this. but I would be very dishonest to say that the radical fundamentalists are not following the bible correctly.

• Like 2

About 5 yrs ago I arrived at the airport a little too early. There was one guy waiting at the gate ( he was in his mid 70s) with me and we started talking. He mentioned he was a christian and I said I was also. We continued talking and he started talking how the the lord george bush saved the US by launching the iraq war. I said that kids are dying and the war is a joke. He became rather upset and said since I question the sincerity of bush, I must not be a real christian.

Similarity: "About 5 yrs ago I arrived at the town square a little too early. There was one guy waiting at the gate ( he was in his mid 30s) with me and we started talking. He mentioned he was a christian and I said I was also. We continued talking and he started talking how the the lord Jesus Christ saved the Western World by launching the Crusades. I said that kids are dying and the crusade is a joke. He became rather upset and said since I question the sincerity of Pope Urban II, I must not be a real christian."

Similarity: "About 5 yrs ago I arrived at the town square a little too early. There was one guy waiting at the gate ( he was in his mid 30s) with me and we started talking. He mentioned he was a christian and I said I was also. We continued talking and he started talking how the the lord Jesus Christ saved the Western World by launching the Crusades. I said that kids are dying and the crusade is a joke. He became rather upset and said since I question the sincerity of Pope Urban II, I must not be a real christian."

What are you saying here TrailbBazer? Is this some religious "urban legend"?

He's saying there's nothing new under the sun.

The crusades: Just as bad as the conquistadors who started bringing priests saying they were in latin america to bring salvation to the natives. The simple fact is, if it were not for smallpox, the conquistadors would have been wiped out. The indians were highly civilized and thought the europeans were dirty. they thought they were Gods for a couple days and that was it.

I totally agree! Our family basically lost my one brother to his church. My dad would go to visit (drive 100 miles to see him which he did not do very often because my brother was "so busy") and my brother would leave and go to a bible class. So wrong! But that's what the Christian faith expects of it's followers according to Jesus.

My aunt and uncle are like that, always some church related thing going on to care about anyone else. Some churches are even cult like in their control over people, There is a church prevalent in alabama, georgia and mississipi called Church of Christ and they make so many demands on their congragations and you are not allowed to question any of the theology at all.