Goodbye Jesus

"if It Wasn't For All The Fucking Women.."

Stamps1962

I was at a hobby related exposition today. There were displays and also several dealers selling stuff. One dealer is someone I patronize for my hobby supplies and I wanted to stop by and say hello. I then realized he and this other guy who was sitting there were in a political discussion. My dealer friend is into birtherism and is a confirmed Obama hater so hearing him rant is not unexpected. They were talking about the (to them) frightening probability that Obama would be re-elected. All the gloom and doom talk etc.

I heard the guy sitting there say that his wife and daughters are voting for Obama because of 'that stupid abortion thing'. My dealer friend said that Obama would be a goner if 'it wasn't for all the fucking women.' He was lamenting that they don't look at the 'big picture'. I wanted to say that for half the population that IS the big picture. BTW he has a wife and daughter. I'm sure they'd be happy to hear him say this stuff.

I sometimes am embarassed to be an older white guy. Most people assume I am like those two.

• Like 3

Well my friend, welcome to the nation of misogynists., Sounds like we're still back in the 1800s.

I am ever more inclined to believe that the current problems which we are experiencing in the U.S. are not primarily political or economic, rather at root I believe they are cultural (or maybe social if you prefer). I'm not sure how I would go about trying explain why I believe this. I guess I could take a stab at it if anyone cares to hear it.

In any case, I am no longer inclined to wait for a completely accurate diagnosis of the problem before I act. I feel fairly confident that our social fabric is tattered and torn. Even if my future efforts are less than perfectly applied, I would very much like to reweave the community around me. I suppose I'll learn as I go.

• Like 3

Guest Babylonian Dream

I am ever more inclined to believe that the current problems which we are experiencing in the U.S. are not primarily political or economic, rather at root I believe they are cultural (or maybe social if you prefer). I'm not sure how I would go about trying explain why I believe this. I guess I could take a stab at it if anyone cares to hear it.

In any case, I am no longer inclined to wait for a completely accurate diagnosis of the problem before I act. I feel fairly confident that our social fabric is tattered and torn. Even if my future efforts are less than perfectly applied, I would very much like to reweave the community around me. I suppose I'll learn as I go.

This. Definitely a cultural thing.

Yep, it's a cultural thing. Aka identity politics. For most people, policy is pretty much irrelevant- what matters to them is that a given candidate push the proper cultural buttons, speaks in platitudes that they like, and is somebody they can personally identify with.

• Like 1

Yes, us women are swayed by issues that directly affect our health and well being--such as the prospect of being forced to carry a fetus to full term despite it destroying our bodies and possibly killing us. If we just had penis' we would all be in a better place. [/read all with sarcasm]

• Like 7

Guest Babylonian Dream

Yes, us women are swayed by issues that directly affect our health and well being--such as the prospect of being forced to carry a fetus to full term despite it destroying our bodies and possibly killing us. If we just had penis' we would all be in a better place. [/read all with sarcasm]

It could kill you, but you gotta look at the bigger picture! God's greater plan! Where men are keeping the "sanctity of human life".

Exactly, and they clearly don't even see women as being human equal to men.

• Like 1

Arrogance among the religious, especially men, astounds me. They whine and whine if anyone says anything about religion but they believe they have the right to force their idiot ideas on the rest of us. I wish some woman would sue a red state under the taking clause of the US Constitution. The state is forcing her to use her body to deliver a baby she did not want or could not afford. I keep thinking someone will push that, but I haven't seen it yet. I am not an attorney, so I could be completely off base. It just seems like that part of the Constitution should apply when the state takes away or makes it extremely difficult for a woman to get an abortion.

However, I think the religious right shot themselves in the foot this year by going too far. The idiot from Missouri talking about rape probably did more to expose the religious right than anything I have seen. People were correctly offended. But if they walk into many churches, they would have heard the same crap.

Why aren't they offended by the fact that some controlling CHURCHES are hiring people to make up lies?

• Super Moderator

Clearly cultural. The stereotypes are slow in leaving us because they are constantly reinforced by professional manipulators in religion and politics.

• Like 3

Guest Babylonian Dream

Clearly cultural. The stereotypes are slow in leaving us because they are constantly reinforced by professional manipulators in religion and politics.

Exactly. As time has passed, and especially at the end of attending church, I think I've come to pear behind that smokey curtain to see that they're fake. They don't even believe half of what they claim. Though its fun to act like they do, to make them look rediculous, because it can and will hurt a narcissists ego. To make them see what's actually in the mirror.

When in doubt, blame women.

When in doubt, blame women.

Might as well. You'd be right almost half the time.

Yeah sucks how we actually give a shit :) Imagine what it would be like if women ran the world.....

• Super Moderator

Yeah sucks how we actually give a shit smile.png Imagine what it would be like if women ran the world.....

You do.

What I found especially infurating about this whole deal was that they both have wives and daughters. Yet there they were like a couple of naughty little boys being bad- and sexist. I shouldn't be surprised. Nearly all the men I know my age (60's) are like this.

I read somewhere that some polling organizations have a factor they take into account when guessing at voting results; it's that the majority of all white males and the vast majority of white males over 40 ALWAYS vote Republican. It doesn't matter what the issues are, whom the candidates are, what they tell their wives and families or the pollster that's what they do in the voting booth. If that demographic ran the country we'd be a fascist state.

• Like 1

What I found especially infurating about this whole deal was that they both have wives and daughters. Yet there they were like a couple of naughty little boys being bad- and sexist. I shouldn't be surprised. Nearly all the men I know my age (60's) are like this.

I read somewhere that some polling organizations have a factor they take into account when guessing at voting results; it's that the majority of all white males and the vast majority of white males over 40 ALWAYS vote Republican. It doesn't matter what the issues are, whom the candidates are, what they tell their wives and families or the pollster that's what they do in the voting booth. If that demographic ran the country we'd be a fascist state.

They do run the country.

And we are a fascist state.

When I heard old men suggest that giving us the vote is a BAD THING, I don't care where it comes from, I'll fight for the rights to my own goddamn body.

When men vomit blood out of their crotches once a month, THEN they might have half a clue of what the fuck they're talking about. Otherwise, they can stop trying to tell us what we can do with our bodies. Or suffer my wrath.

I'd agree that is is cultural, which is the same as political, in a democracy set up like this. It's happened before, all the time really, in parties like the Know-Nothings of the 1850s. Not to mention the way the Cold War was fought on the home front: leverage religion to enforce party loyalty. That's when the Pledge of Allegiance got changed to include "under God" and the US motto was officially made "in God we trust" rather than the previous, informal (but on the Seal) "E Pluribus Unum."

Yeah sucks how we actually give a shit :) Imagine what it would be like if women ran the world.....

There'd be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other lol :)

• Like 2

LH, did you ever read any William Gibson? You remind me of Zona Rosa out of one of his books, in the best possible way. I heart you. But it's more than bleeding out of one's crotch, isn't it? A lot of women don't bleed out their crotches--like me, skipping more periods than I get nowadays, or transwomen, or, well, any sympathetic man. It's about being held down and FORCED to donate blood and tissue, bone and time to benefit another you may or may not want to benefit; it's about being held down and FORCED to undergo a hugely painful and potentially very risky medical procedure for someone else whether you wish to or not, especially when that "someone else" isn't even a person at all but an ideal that not everybody worships, all so sex becomes so scary and risky that women begin behaving themselves again instead of slutting around in the eyes of a fascist dictatorial elite--an elite that constantly violates its own rules whenever they please.

I remember the shock I felt just a few years ago when a photo of Bill Bailey (the incredibly talented British comedian) surfaced of him wearing a T-shirt that said "This is what a feminist looks like." I wish more men signaled their sympathy for equality.

Can we put down the armaments and accusations? Pretty please?

I was once on a job site doing some work. And I opened a door into a room to pass through it which had many women in it. And they were all women. Well, as I opened the door I apparently stepped into a conversation which was in progress. A woman was saying, "too many men." And her tone seemed disgusted in some manner.

I was also once speaking with a woman with whom I had become friends. And she told me that she has spoken with women who think that "the solution" (whatever that means) is to rid the world of men.

Those are simply facts of my experience. But my point here is... have we not had enough yet of the battle of the sexes?

556399_455438821167332_2041788778_n.jpg
  • Like 2

It may be my bias here, but I think Birthers and other extreme right wingers are the ones that don't look at the big picture. The "Big picture" for them is "what makes the most sense for my own personal pocket book and status as a white religious male"

If it helps, all the white males I'm friends with (which means, none from my wife's church) are voting democrat. This is the 25-35 range.

It may be my bias here, but I think Birthers and other extreme right wingers are the ones that don't look at the big picture. The "Big picture" for them is "what makes the most sense for my own personal pocket book and status as a white religious male"

This may indeed be happening in places. But in my conversations with biologists, the consideration has arisen that perhaps all organisms view themselves as being at the center of the universe.

• Like 1