Goodbye Jesus

Leaving the Faith

Guest SerenityNow

For me it was a combination of #1, #8 and #9.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brother Jeff

• scitsofreaky

• Lycorth

• R. S. Martin

For me it was a combination of 2, 3, 4,5, 7, 8, 9 my 5 is that Christianity is a foriegn religion.

It was a little bit of a lot of things for me.

It was having the grotesque sexism in the OT pointed out to me that really jumpstarted the snowballing, though. A friend of mine laid out a logically perfect case for how the god of the OT was created in the image of man, not the other way around. The sexual slavery and genocides make a lot more sense that way. Bye-bye cognative dissonance. Over the next year or 2 everything else came into focus. And then one day on the way to work I had the thought "Maybe the whole thing is basically a big myth? Jesus and god and the holy spirit and all of it? Just a big mass delusion?"

And WHAM. I deconverted that morning.

I voted other.

Nobody could or would explain how salvation worked--how Jesus' death and resurrection made a literal change in the universe that allowed souls to get to heaven. I could just forgive without people even saying sorry. Why couldn't an almighty god do the same? That was the outstanding and biggest question of my life but had I found an answer to that one I still had so many others. I guess today there are ways to be Christian without believing in literla salvation through the death of Jesus but I'm exhausted from trying to relate to an invisible imperceptible entity. Humanist teachings bring about the same thing so why bother. When I faced up to the reality that I don't believe in salvation through Jesus' death and resurrection, and that there is no logical or philosophical answer, I concluded that I am not a Christian. And that was that.