Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Camp

TheRedneckProfessor

Creeeeepy. I literally just watched Jesus Camp last night, and then come on here and the first thing I see is a post about it.

Going to read all of your replies now. I was absolutely disgusted, appalled, and sickened  by the film.

Must be that our North Carolina spirits are intertwined. 

Seriously, the coincidence is freaking me out. smile.png

Relax and get yourself an ice cold Cheerwine. 

Man that'd be nice right now! :)

• Super Moderator

Creeeeepy. I literally just watched Jesus Camp last night, and then come on here and the first thing I see is a post about it.

Going to read all of your replies now. I was absolutely disgusted, appalled, and sickened  by the film.

Must be that our North Carolina spirits are intertwined. 

Seriously, the coincidence is freaking me out. smile.png

Relax and get yourself an ice cold Cheerwine. 

Man that'd be nice right now! smile.png

Don't I know it!

• Super Moderator

How do you sleep at night as a parent knowing that you are literally lying to your child every single day? The homeschooling just blew my mind. I couldn't believe that was legal.

What was it the woman told her kid?  Something like, "Isn't it interesting how science doesn't really prove anything?"  I didn't know whether to shit or go blind when that part came on.

• Like 1

i saw it for the first time last year.Its horrendous but very familiar.I remember so much of that shit at bible school.hate that evil fat bitch brainwashing those kids in the film.

what makes me laugh it is the bit where she leads the kids in aprayer saying, 'I'll go where you want me to go,do what you want me to do,say what you want me to say'... poor kids won't get it for a few yrs yet that there wil never be an answer to that prayer coz he never speaks .poor wee things.

How do you sleep at night as a parent knowing that you are literally lying to your child every single day? The homeschooling just blew my mind. I couldn't believe that was legal.

What was it the woman told her kid?  Something like, "Isn't it interesting how science doesn't really prove anything?"  I didn't know whether to shit or go blind when that part came on.

Something like that. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

i saw it for the first time last year.Its horrendous but very familiar.I remember so much of that shit at bible school.hate that evil fat bitch brainwashing those kids in the film.

what makes me laugh it is the bit where she leads the kids in aprayer saying, 'I'll go where you want me to go,do what you want me to do,say what you want me to say'... poor kids won't get it for a few yrs yet that there wil never be an answer to that prayer coz he never speaks .poor wee things.

LOL. My favorite part was when she said something about "Fat and lazy Christians". I wanted to be like, seen a scale lately?

She revolted me.

As did the part where the little girl talked about "dead churches". What a demeaning, holier than thou thing to say. The sad part is she thinks she's right. I feel like the people who sit in those dead churches are more devout and serious about their religion that most people could even imagine, but they do it in a private way that doesn't make everyone else feel like shit.

I'm thinking of my grandmother specifically. She sat in the back row of the church every Sunday for who knows how many years. She was very quiet but the kindest most generous person I've ever known. She didn't have to interrupt people who were trying to enjoy a night out to "witness" bull shit to them. She didn't alienate people because of her beliefs.

• Like 2

I'm debating whether or not I should watch this. I get emotional easily and from the sounds of it I may break something if I do. On the other hand, I'm still in the deconversion process so anything to confirm how ridonk it all is may be good for me. But mostly I think I might break something.

Something like that. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

I had to hit pause and primal scream into a pillow at that point. I JUST DON'T EVEN! And the smugness when she said it, too!

The Jesus Camp film, I actually bought the film on iTunes right after I saw Bill Maher's bit about it on his show, Real Time.  I had to find out for myself if my suspicions were correct.

They were:  that film was my childhood.  Different flavor of Christianity, same intense indoctrination.  I wasn't homeschooled, but did grades 3-8 in a little church school with about 15 some kids total. 

I have to say that the staff (teachers, pastor, teacher aid) were sincere at what they're doing, but it was indoctrination from the get go. 

I don't really want to watch that movie, but would it help i If  could convince my wife and adult child to see it? If so, I would watch it.

We have freedom of religion to protect us from the abuses in European history. Now we need something to protect us against the abuses of free speech and religion. But what? We are indeed our own worst enemies.  bill

• Super Moderator

I don't really want to watch that movie, but would it help i If  could convince my wife and adult child to see it? If so, I would watch it.

We have freedom of religion to protect us from the abuses in European history. Now we need something to protect us against the abuses of free speech and religion. But what? We are indeed our own worst enemies.  bill

I can't really say if it would help your situation or not, Bill.  I think it helped my wife understand me a little bit better; but our situation is different from yours.  My wife only nominally believes in some sort of higher power.  It might help them to see the extremes of evangelical fundamentalism, and comparisons with Islam could be suggested.

I don't know what your wife and child's experience is like, but Jesus Camp was pretty much my childhood, so I probably wouldn't have seen what was wrong with it had I still been in that environment when I watched it. 

• Super Moderator

I don't know what your wife and child's experience is like, but Jesus Camp was pretty much my childhood, so I probably wouldn't have seen what was wrong with it had I still been in that environment when I watched it. 

I can't imagine what people who weren't raised in that environment would think if they saw me in my heyday.

Think that's bad, watch Deliver Us From Evil, that'll get you sputtering.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814075/

That one's truly appalling. I saw it a few years ago, and in hindsight, it was part of what killed off my faith. To think they kept that asshole in ministry for as long as they did! Seriously, I'd like to know what the hell the rector of the seminary he came from was smoking in order to allow him to darken their doors. I read in a book somewhere that said by the time he got to the seminary, he'd already had one rejection from one of the religious orders.

This one's just as much of a horror movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mea_Maxima_Culpa:_Silence_in_the_House_of_God

If I decide to see it, how do I get it?       If I see it I'll know better what my wife's reaction is apt to be.  bill

I got in on iTunes, Bill, there might be an option there to rent it, so you have 24hrs to view it for yourself then watch it with the wife the next night.

• Super Moderator

If I decide to see it, how do I get it?       If I see it I'll know better what my wife's reaction is apt to be.  bill

I watched it on Netflix via my Roku box.  It may be available online.

I didn't get mad at the main lady of "Jesus Camp," because I knew that she must have been indoctrinated the exact same way as a child and adolescent. When that happens, it's often an epic struggle to escape as an adult, as many here testify daily. Most don't see any reason to. 

I have no doubt that this film accurately documents what is happening in the home schooling movement in America on a grand scale. Young earth creationism, anti-science, apocalypticism, Satan is real, the whole works. 

• Like 1

I didn't get mad at the main lady of "Jesus Camp," because I knew that she must have been indoctrinated the exact same way as a child and adolescent. When that happens, it's often an epic struggle to escape as an adult, as many here testify daily. Most don't see any reason to. 

I have no doubt that this film accurately documents what is happening in the home schooling movement in America on a grand scale. Young earth creationism, anti-science, apocalypticism, Satan is real, the whole works. 

As someone who was homeschooled for the entirety of their childhood education, I can confirm this.  We were taught that science can't "prove" anything, that evolution was just a hypothesis and creationism was far more rational.  I had friends, fellow homeschooled victims, who literally believed dragons existed along with the dinosaurs.  Ken Ham was our Bill Nye.  

For an idea of the ridiculous indoctrination shoved down our throats, this exact textbook linked elsewhere on this forum was something I was actually taught from.

Every English lesson was a sermon.  Every science lesson turned into Sunday School.  We studied Bible history, not world history.  This should be illegal.

I found it online. It almost made me cry when I saw those children so scared that they were crying. How utterly cruel can you be to subject that terrifying hogwash to those young ones. I can't stand the thought of my grandchildren being subjected to something like that. It is poison for the mind, pure and simple. They are brainwashing those kids to believe everybody in the world is their enemy if they are not Xtian. And not only Xtian, but their putrid brand of Xtianity.

It's not so hard to understand why Xtian history is so cruel and violent.            bill

• Like 2

It's a pain to quote on my phone, but bluelobster I just read that blog post about the textbook. Awful.

I watched this movie soon after I deconverted. I also had a very similar experience when I was at church. I had to go to VBS every single year and then when I was too old I was forced to volunteer, and I went to almost all the church camps from middle school through high school. It was really upsetting and strange for me to watch Jesus Camp as an outsider to Christianity, with that being my past. I think I cried for myself a bit. For that little girl who was made to feel like she was a disgusting sinner, who needed to take on the burdens of the world. I think watching this movie was a good way for me to take a fresh look at my past, realize that it was insanity-- that other people think it's insanity too-- and then be able to let it go. It is heartbreaking to look back on your life after watching this and see how damaging it was, but it's also a great reminder for me that it was my past, and not my future. We survived this child abuse, and now we are free! So yes, it was hard to watch and I was disturbed by how much of it resembled my childhood, but I feel like for me, it was affirmation of what I went through and I can heal from it. 

• Like 2

Here ya go Bill:

Looks like it has Polish subtitles, but it's free.

I just stayed up and watched the whole thing. I need to collect my thoughts on it. But first, some sleep. What have y'all done to me?