Goodbye Jesus

One Meme At A Time - Debunking The Bible

FreeThinkerNZ

Reminder to posters:  please describe your images and the text in them because we have members who cannot access this information due to visual impairment.  They read posts with the help of scanning software that can read out text but not anything within an image file.  Thanks.

While I don't share the same visual impairments as Leo (I can generally get by with magnification as opposed to a screen reader), as a visually impaired person, I'd like to thank the people in this topic who made an effort to describe these pictures to those of us who are hard of seeing. :)

Hilarious!

Reminder to posters:  please describe your images and the text in them because we have members who cannot access this information due to visual impairment.  They read posts with the help of scanning software that can read out text but not anything within an image file.  Thanks.

It might be a good idea to edit your first post to include that reminder so any newcomers should see it right away before posting. By the way, cool thread idea.

I'm actually surprised no one can see these pics. On the computer i use, the pics are big. hmmm

One of our readers is blind, the other one has a visual impairment.

I'm a member of a secular Facebook group that shares memes from time to time, and I want to share some of them on ex-c but they never seem to fit into an existing thread. So I'm starting this thread, for posting and discussing clever/handy memes that point out the many factual and logical problems with the bible. Please share any good memes or textual tidbits you come across too.

EDIT: Reminder to posters: please describe your images and the text in them because we have members who cannot access this information due to visual impairment. They read posts with the help of scanning software that can read out text but not anything within an image file. Thanks.

Image below includes photo of a smiling woman holding a bible, with the following text:

• "The Bible is the word of God.
  • But the Old Testament doesn't apply anymore, except for some parts; we determine what or when those parts apply.
  • Only the New Testament applies, except for the parts we ignore; we determine what and when those parts are ignored.
  • Some words are interpreted literally, and some as a metaphor; we decide.
  • When parts contradict science, each other, are now immoral or illegal, they are definitely a metaphor for something.
  • The entire bible is divinely inspired by God, though. [smiley face]
Confusing? It helps if you don't think about it!

Just keep smiling."

10376279_10152353901876447_8183785366101

Some claim that there are varying levels of "truth" to scripture, that the best application and interpretation changes with the times, that god intended it that way. Well that's all well and good except I can utilize any religious text that way, ignoring the irrelevant stuff or reinterpriting it into a metaphorcally applicable object lesson. Any story or text can be used in that way. That doesn't make the bible special or the word of some divine being. It just means that human beings are clever are deriving meaning.
  • Like 2

Meetings of the Trinity are confusing. Jesus is his own father, the Holy Farter is Jesus's father, and the Holy Spook is as well. Glory!

mettingtrinity.jpg

Meetings of the Trinity are confusing. Jesus is his own father, the Holy Farter is Jesus's father, and the Holy Spook is as well. Glory!

attachicon.gifmettingtrinity.jpg

Image shows a cartoon of a cloud (god), a ghost (holy spirit) and jesus.  A voice from the cloud says "Jesus! I  am your father".  The ghost says "So am I" and Jesus says "Me too!".  Caption on the image says "Meetings of the holy trinity were always a bit confusing".

That's very considerate of you to think of others.

I feel strongly that people with disabilities should be assisted to be as independent as possible.  Helping out means they don't have to ask someone to read it out for them, they can access the information on their own just like sighted people do.

Bible_98e2f1_814657.jpg

This is a hand-drawn image of two parents and a child wearing bland, brown robes; the parents have Bibles clamped shut over their heads, with only their eyes and a few strands of hair coming out and the mother is about to clamp a Bible shut over the child's head.

I've seen this image before and I'd say that it's one of my personal favorites, since it accurately depicts indoctrination into Christianity.

• Like 1

096-Huhquestionmark.jpg

Picture has the following statement:  In the beginning there was nothing, and God said, "Let there be light."  And there was still nothing, but you could see it.

• Like 2

Can we not tag pictures with a text description in the reply options? If not this might be a good thing to have set up. I know how it's done on my web building software, but not on a forum like this. Any tech-savvy members here?

J-witnessing to a guy on the toilet

Photo of two men crouched beside a man sitting on the toliet, with the caption "Jehovah's witnesses - doing whatever it takes"

pic describing difference between child abuse and gods abuse

Two identical photos of a woman chastising a little girl:

Caption 1:  "If you disobey me again I will take you underground and burn and torture you" - Considered child abuse

Caption 2:  "If you disobey me again God will take you underground and burn and torture you" - Not considered child abuse

Jesus talking about stoning a chick

Painting of Jesus sitting, surrounded by disciples - caption "So they were all 'We are going to stone this chick'; and I was like pssh, like you never".

Jesus mocks twitter, wants actual follower

Picture of Jesus and a guy sitting on a park bench - caption "LOL, no I'm not talking about Twitter, I literally want you to follow me"

Modern day samson (photo mocking samson)

Photo of large body builder holding barbell.

• 1 month later...

10262218_10152064154576863_4117637178671

Tweet that reads:  "Homophobic Christians are hilarious.  If you believe in talking snakes and virgin births, you don't get to tell me what's unnatural."

• Like 2