Goodbye Jesus

Questions For Christians?

Shinzon

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

~ Philippians 4:13

I have seen and heard that verse being used, by some, to teach believers they can do anything or get anything they desire. I was watching a local religious program the other night and they were having a “Healing Service” and this was one of the verses they quoted. “If only you have enough faith! All things are possible. You will be healed!”

That was not what Paul was saying.

“I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”

~ ~ Philippians 4:19-13 (NIV)

Where did I go wrong in this post?

That one verse cannot be used as some magic chant to promise believers all power.

Whether you believe it or not is not my main concern. You might view the whole Bible as crock but can we at least be honest about what Paul is actually saying here?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.