Goodbye Jesus

Jon, I believe (without evidence) that you have toothache.

bornagainathiest

Now Jon, you still haven't answered my question... so here it is again.

Please be so good as to answer it.

Thank you.

If it is silly for me to believe (without evidence) that you have toothache...

...why is it not also silly for you to believe (without evidence) that Jesus rose from the dead?

Now Jon, you still haven't answered my question... so here it is again.

Please be so good as to answer it.

Thank you.

...why is it not also silly for you to believe (without evidence) that Jesus rose from the dead?

Are you saying, jesus never exsisted?

Becauce i'm telling you I have no teeth.

There is evidence for jesus exsistence, you cannot deny the fact he walked planet earth?

As far as my teeth go, again i'll say I have no teeth.Now come on, no teeth on ache, lets swing this around IF jesus then maybee just maybee he was who he said he was.You see no one else but you claims i have tooth ache, no testimony, no test of time, no gospel accounts, no churches,and on and on I go.

I know your question was on belief, but you have no platform, no basis or foundation, Someone said it was not a question about me, fair enough, but i'm the one who is supposed to have the tooth ache, so speaking on my teeth's behalf again I say and behold declare: I dont have teeth.

How can you as a thinking person just dismiss jesus, look at his impact through the ages, you say there is no evidence, look again, look at nature, look at the darkness within.

Please provide a better argument about belief, always remembering its really about faith, which you and me exercise each and every day. Thanks

There is evidence for jesus exsistence, you cannot deny the fact he walked planet earth?

As far as my teeth go, again i'll say I have no teeth.Now come on, no teeth on ache, lets swing this around IF jesus then maybee just maybee he was who he said he was.You see no one else but you claims i have tooth ache, no testimony, no test of time, no gospel accounts, no churches,and on and on I go.

I know your question was on belief, but you have no platform, no basis or foundation, Someone said it was not a question about me, fair enough, but i'm the one who is supposed to have the tooth ache, so speaking on my teeth's behalf again I say and behold declare: I dont have teeth.

How can you as a thinking person just dismiss jesus, look at his impact through the ages, you say there is no evidence, look again, look at nature, look at the darkness within.

Please provide a better argument about belief, always remembering its really about faith, which you and me exercise each and every day. Thanks

Jon,

You are asking me new questions and adding many new things to this thread.

But you still haven't answered the one question I put to you.  You were the one who said it was silly of me to believe (without evidence) that you had toothache.  Now, I'm returning that and asking you why it isn't silly for you to believe (without evidence) that Jesus rose from the dead.  Please answer my question.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Stop lying, Jon.  BAA has already borne witness to your toothache.  Admit that it's true.

I suspect you're just angry at teeth and want to gum your food.

• Like 2

The evidence for a historical Jesus is rather weak.  No one wrote contemporaneously about him, so if he did exist he was just a mundane preacher with a very small following.  It took 40 years for anyone to suggest that such a person existed.

Furthermore, the claim that he came back from the dead is utterly absurd.  Pure nonsense.  Pure mythology.  When people die, they stay dead.

However, the claim of someone having a toothache, and your counter-claim of having no teeth, are both plausible as both occur fairly regularly in the real world.

So why should we favour an extraordinary, patently absurd and almost certainly mythological claim over a much more simple and realistic claim?

• Like 4

The evidence for a historical Jesus is rather weak.  No one wrote contemporaneously about him, so if he did exist he was just a mundane preacher with a very small following.  It took 40 years for anyone to suggest that such a person existed.

Furthermore, the claim that he came back from the dead is utterly absurd.  Pure nonsense.  Pure mythology.  When people die, they stay dead.

However, the claim of someone having a toothache, and your counter-claim of having no teeth, are both plausible as both occur fairly regularly in the real world.

So why should we favour an extraordinary, patently absurd and almost certainly mythological claim over a much more simple and realistic claim?

Good points here Astreja.

That a character at least like Jesus walked around is highly possible - there are preachers prophesying end times today, and in fact one of these preachers 40 years ago was thought by followers to be Jesus reincarnate.

Saying there was a man (Who we call Jesus) walking around staying stuff 2,000 years ago is an acceptable claim. I'll grant that there were actually many like such characters. These types of people have occurred all through history.

However @Jon your claim is not just that Jesus existed, but that he was the son of God and rose from the dead. Those are extraordinary claims for which the only 'evidence' is stories written decades after his death by writers unknown, and we know we don't have the originals.

@Jon Besides all the obvious stuff, BAA is not asking for evidence Jesus existed which you tried to turn the question into, he is asking is it not also silly to believe without evidence that Jesus ROSE FROM THE DEAD.

You are saying we shouldn't believe BAA when he says you have a toothache, that we should verify this. Therefore why should we believe altered stories that are unverifiable from 2,000 years ago?

• Like 1

@Geezer could point you in the right direction to prove Jesus wasn't real @Jon

DB

Lots of people have testimony. We all had testimony. Now our testimony is that as Christians we were deluded. Jesus never did appear in person for coffee, that's for sure. As far as gospel accounts, well all those supposed witnesses are dead (if they existed at all). Basically someone wrote a fictional tale (the bible) and passed it off as non-fiction, and gullible people bought into it. Voila! Religion is born.

Islam, has withstood the test of time (established around 610 CE). Therefore, it must be true.

Judaism has withstood the test of time. Much older than Christianity.

Hinduism, 1200 BC and still kickin'.

Buddhism, 500 BC.

These are all old, still with us and because of that, necessarily true. Right?

Faith is incredibly easy. Step 1: Turn off brain. Step 2: Believe what someone tells you. Step 3: Don't question it.

I've heard the "awe of mother nature equals Jesus" angle before. Sorry, this is an excuse for Jesus being absent. So if I look around and I see a bum pushing a shopping cart through a beautiful park, must be "Jesus!" I'm much more inclined to consider the Nature angle in a non-duality Zen type format, except in that case everything is God, including you and me and there would be no reason to worship myself. :) Besides, Christian culture says we live in a fallen world. Are you trying to tell me that when I look around at this fallen world I am seeing Jesus? Oh noes! :)

A thinking person can dismiss that which does not assert its existence. Is Jesus all powerful and alive and want to have a relationship with us? If yes, then why do we have to do all the work? Why do we have to guess what he's saying to us? Why does our discernment about prayer tend to be in line with what we ourselves wanted anyway? Why doesn't the almighty just appear and spell things out for us?  Because he ain't real. He's just in your imagination.

"The darkness within?" Oh, the drama.

Yes, you and I exercise faith each and every day. But you're using equivocation with the word 'faith' . Also, I tend not to concern myself with the future while Christians are obsessed with it. I assume tomorrow will come but if it doesnt, it's no big deal. 

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/81/Equivocation

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

"What convinced you about God?"

Here's the thing, Jon. It's important to understand this:

Belief in a particular god or religion is NOT an exercise in logic or cognitive ability. Belief in such things, particularly noting the tactics of Christianity, is a purely emotional response that bypasses intellect. Nobody has ever made a logical decision to believe in Jesus because incontrovertible was presented in a cogent argument. After the emotional hook is set and the new believer is reeled in, the intellect scrambles, unsuccessfully, to justify such a factually unfounded belief. After all, we're too smart to believe dumb shit! Well, clearly we're not.

Hello again Jon. :)

Please resist the temptation to respond to Citsonga, Fweethawt, Jeff, the RedNeckProfessor, Astreja,  LogicalFallacy, the DarkBishop, the midniterider and Florduh before you answer my question.

I am patiently waiting for your reply.

Thank you,

BAA.

• Super Moderator

I'm not looking for any response. Not sure why anyone is?!?!?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, I believe that an invisible pink unicorn floating around Saturn has a toothache. Prove me wrong!

I believe you don't believe this.