Goodbye Jesus

Christian Booklets and the Atheist Symbol

MOHO

Mrs. MOHO is reading two xtian study booklets designed to reinforce the fear of Satan. Yes, I've read them. The cover of the book, the Strategy of Satan by Warren Wiersbe, is dominated by the word SATAN with the second A an obvious copy of the generally recognized atheist symbol. There is an effort in the xtian community to link atheists with Satan and potentially cause them to fear atheists like they are to fear a mythical monster from generations ago.

This could bode very badly for the aforementioned innocent party. 

Just bringing attention to this.

• Sad 2

I don’t suppose Mrs.MOHO would want to watch this video about how Satan evolved through the Old and New Testament...

I guess Weirsbe has recognized the increased visibility of atheists as a serious threat to Christianity.  If we are seen to be happy, healthy people who have simply rejected belief in gods, who knows where that might lead.  The faithful must be kept from seeing us as anything other than possessed by evil.  We must be literally demonized.   The more of us there are, the harder that’s going to be. 

• Thanks 2

@TABA,

I will make an effort to get her to watch this but, as with anything I present of the theological nature, her first response is "Where did you get this? Who is the author? I'm not reading any of your Atheist books!" "I'm not watching any of your Atheist videos!"

The effects of fear tactics at their finest.

• Sad 1

The video is clearly from an atheist source so maybe she’d be more open to reading the Satan entry from Wikipedia.  It conveys much of the same stuff but from a less scary source. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of humorous to me, even when I was a believer how there is such fear surrounding the Satan character.

Spoiler Alert!...according to their own story...he loses! I mean seriously, it clearly is a fear tactic to keep people in line. However, if they read their own book, they should know that the believer has the Holy Ghost within them once born-again, so they literally have the presence of God in them, so why the fuss over some loser with an inferiority complex? 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, MOHO said:

Mrs. MOHO is reading two xtian study booklets designed to reinforce the fear of Satan. Yes, I've read them. The cover of the book, the Strategy of Satan by Warren Wiersbe, is dominated by the word SATAN with the second A an obvious copy of the generally recognized atheist symbol. There is an effort in the xtian community to link atheists with Satan and potentially cause them to fear atheists like they are to fear a mythical monster from generations ago.

I took a peek at this and the symbol is not the atheist symbol but the anarchy symbol.

The-Strategy-of-Satan-Front.jpgAnarchy grungy sign on black background. Vector image

I think the atheist "A" you're thinking of is the more stylized one here:

Atheist-Symbol.jpg

Looks like this book dates back to the late 70's.  I know the anarchy symbol was big with the punks around that time so if this is the original cover I would think this makes sense to play on people's fears just the same as trying to play on the fears of atheists (not that anyone reading a book about Satan, in a serious way, would take the time to know or care about the difference between an atheist "A" or an anarachist "A"...an "A" is an "A" and a fear is a fear...they're all the same with the same root cause).

mwc

Could it be ...

2000px-SA-Logo.svg.png

The German SA symbol. SA = Sturmabteilung, the original Nazi Stormtroopers. They lost. Two times. Three times, if you count the Night of the Long Knives (1934). Not at all bad graphics though, for the 1930s.

Casey

20 hours ago, Casey said:

Could it be ...

2000px-SA-Logo.svg.png

I think that thing just gave me a seizure.

6 hours ago, 1989 said:

I think that thing just gave me a seizure. 

They dished out a lot worse than a seizure to many unfortunates. Still, that's rather a nice Devil's tail on the end of the stylized S wouldn't you say? I suppose a modern day Satanist could even claim there you have the initial letters of Satan and Abaddon, eh?

Casey

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 11:45 PM, mwc said:

I took a peek at this and the symbol is not the atheist symbol but the anarchy symbol.

The-Strategy-of-Satan-Front.jpgAnarchy grungy sign on black background. Vector image

I think the atheist "A" you're thinking of is the more stylized one here:

Atheist-Symbol.jpg

Looks like this book dates back to the late 70's.  I know the anarchy symbol was big with the punks around that time so if this is the original cover I would think this makes sense to play on people's fears just the same as trying to play on the fears of atheists (not that anyone reading a book about Satan, in a serious way, would take the time to know or care about the difference between an atheist "A" or an anarachist "A"...an "A" is an "A" and a fear is a fear...they're all the same with the same root cause).

mwc

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I thought I had double-checked by looking up "Atheist Symbol" on the Interwebs but I did that again just now and I think you are correct, @mwc.

Sorry to mislead everyone. 

On 2/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, MOHO said:

One of the busybodies in my old church was one of those people who liked to whip up the fear of Satan with the church members. One day during the sermon the pastor reminded us all that Satan was just a fallen angel and not all powerful like Jesus. Jesus and Satan were not equals locked in a mighty battle for the fate of the world.

Now I see the same bullshit by noob Christian friends on facebook talking about fighting against the Enemy...

Of course it turns out that neither Jesus nor Satan do any speaking on the matter. Only people.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, midniterider said:

One of the busybodies in my old church was one of those people who liked to whip up the fear of Satan with the church members. One day during the sermon the pastor reminded us all that Satan was just a fallen angel and not all powerful like Jesus. Jesus and Satan were not equals locked in a mighty battle for the fate of the world.

Now I see the same bullshit by noob Christian friends on facebook talking about fighting against the Enemy...

Of course it turns out that neither Jesus nor Satan do any speaking on the matter. Only people.

Quite true, @midniterider.

Mrs. MOHO is engrossed in those books and attending a special Bible study on Thursdays dedicated to the topic of Satan and how the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. This has resulted in paranoia on her part to the point where she now wants a handgun and a taser. :twitch:

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, MOHO said:

Quite true, @midniterider.

Mrs. MOHO is engrossed in those books and attending a special Bible study on Thursdays dedicated to the topic of Satan and how the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. This has resulted in paranoia on her part to the point where she now wants a handgun and a taser. :twitch:

"I'm sorry, Mrs MOHO....Satan cant be stopped with bullets."

:) Sorry you have to deal with that kinda crazy, Sir. Might ask her if she really believes in Jesus why she needs a gun. Or if she believes in Jesus, why is she afraid of Satan?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MOHO said:

This has resulted in paranoia on her part to the point where she now wants a handgun and a taser. :twitch:

You probably cannot ask Mrs MOHO this, but if this was a conversation with a random Christian you could easily make the point that they don't really believe in a God that will look after them because they feel the need to defend themselves. What happened to God's will, and the Lord is my shield?

• Like 1

Yes, dear. I think you're right. We need guns. I'd like a .500 S&W magnum. Maybe a 12 Gauge. And a 9mm for a backup. Who needs to fight Satan off more than an atheist?

You could end up with some nice toys out this. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, midniterider said:

Yes, dear. I think you're right. We need guns. I'd like a .500 S&W magnum. Maybe a 12 Gauge. And a 9mm for a backup. Who needs to fight Satan off more than an atheist?

You could end up with some nice toys out this. :)

You know, @midniterider, having a heater for Jehovah's Witnesses home invaders is not so off-putting. Mrs. MOHO on the other hand...

"OH MY GOOOOOOOD! An atheist! Quick! Where's my street sweeper!

• Haha 1