Goodbye Jesus

I'll Play The Fundie

duderonomy

diggin,

An Omnipotent and Perfect all knowing God wrote a so-so book?

What else do you have?

If you can't get past that, then you have nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• duderonomy

• diggin

• RHEMtron

• Ouroboros

diggin,

An Omnipotent and Perfect all knowing God wrote a so-so book?

What else do you have?

If you can't get past that, then you have nothing.

Hey, duder, you ought to be able to do better than put your words in my mouth.

I said the Bible was "pure as the driven snow" compared to anything else in this world. It's an awesome book, it's the Word of God. But it was written down by people, and copied by people, and so far we haven't found the original manuscripts that were written down. And apparently no gold plates were used. What we have are remarkably consistent, and amazingly complete, and certifiably accurate to those willing to listen objectively to "the preponderance of evidence".

So what we have is a scene where guys who don't necessarily believe it all, but who are therefore pretty objective or even biased against it, are transmitting it to us through comparison of the various old manuscripts. That's an amazingly good methodology, because it gives the advantage of multiple sources, and therefore multiple verifications of the veracity of 99% of the wording. The few questions that remain are quite small and don't really impact the fabric of the testimony. If you want to call that "so-so", fine, but don't tell me I'm calling that so-so.

My whole point, though, is that God was not trying to give his last, best testimony to the human race. This is not the end of the line for you or anyone else. If you're not impressed by the Bible, fine. That's the reason God did it that way. It's like a magnet moving through the box of sawdust, attracting only the iron filings. It's like seed scattered on all kinds of soil, which only grows strong in one kind of soil.

The future age according to the Bible will be completely different. All the facts will be stated clearly, all the questions will be answered fully, all the tears will be wiped away, all the injustices will be righted, all the corrupt institutions (especially Christian ones, which have done the most damage throughout history) will be exposed and destroyed, and their adherents presented with the challenge of what their mistakes and hypocrisies were.

So go ahead and put your energy into other things ... I'm not worried about the duder at all!

I said the Bible was "pure as the driven snow" compared to anything else in this world. It's an awesome book, it's the Word of God. But it was written down by people, and copied by people, and so far we haven't found the original manuscripts that were written down. And apparently no gold plates were used. What we have are remarkably consistent, and amazingly complete, and certifiably accurate to those willing to listen objectively to "the preponderance of evidence".

Hi diggn.

The words can stay the same from now until eternity and people will never understand what they mean. Sometimes you have to read between the bias, misunderstanding and interjections to see what the words are pointing to. Are you sure you understand what was meant when Jesus said that he was the way and the light? There are more than one way to look at what the words mean.

Diggin, you say;

"I said the Bible was "pure as the driven snow" compared to anything else in this world. It's an awesome book, it's the Word of God. But it was written down by people, and copied by people, and so far we haven't found the original manuscripts that were written down. And apparently no gold plates were used. What we have are remarkably consistent, and amazingly complete, and certifiably accurate to those willing to listen objectively to "the preponderance of evidence". "

First, the Earth is cursed. The people in it are cursed. You can compare the Bible to 'anything else in this world', and you may be right that it's more pure by comparison. But that's like saying your turd is the highest, best formed, and sweetest smelling compared to anything else in the outhouse. Maybe true, but that doesn't make it anything other than a turd. Get it?

Second, If the Bible is 'awesome' or 'the Word of God'; whether it's 'remarkable' or 'amazing' is up for debate. You are only being subjective here with your own opinions. For example, who, pray tell me, "Certified" that any of it is accurate? How do you even know that the 66 books you claim as The Word of God is complete? If we had the 'originals', how would we know that they were from God, other than that they might say so about themselves (as many others do also)?

and Third, as I believe I've pointed out to you before, even we fallen humans, at least in the USA, only accept a 'preponderance of evidence' in civil cases. In LIFE OR DEATH cases, it's all or nothing. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999% don't cut it. And God, according to you, can't manage that, so He hasn't proven His case. Can't He do better than 'almost'?

Remember, according to you, He chose the humans who wrote it all down. Any mistakes made then, ultimately are God's fault, not theirs. If they couldn't do it 100% , then He should have chosen someone else, or maybe He should have done it Himself.

And you won't accept what the 'church' says (and I don't blame you!). So what do you have? A perfect God writing a so-so book?

I wrote all of that from one of your paragraphs. You aren't like the heathen, are you, who think they will be heard because of there many words?

:wicked::scratch: