Goodbye Jesus

Six types of atheists

pantheory

Thought this was interesting since I'm an atheist. What do youall think?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2013/jul/15/six-types-of-atheist

• Like 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Once again humans feel the need to break everything down into labels and categories.

To me there is only one 'type' of atheist - that is someone who doesn't believe in any God or gods. Everything else is based off of who they are as a person, their world views, and interests.

7 hours ago, pantheory said:

Thought this was interesting since I'm an atheist. What do youall think?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2013/jul/15/six-types-of-atheist

The largest group (37%) was what I would call "cultural non-believers", and what they call "academic" or "intellectual atheists": people who are well-educated, interested in religion, informed about it, but not themselves believers. I call them "cultural" because they are at home in a secular culture which takes as axiomatic that exclusive religious truth claims must be false. Essentially, they are how I imagined the majority readership of Comment is free's belief section.

*Drops mic*

@TABA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Once again humans feel the need to break everything down into labels and categories.

To me there is only one 'type' of atheist - that is someone who doesn't believe in any God or gods. Everything else is based off of who they are as a person, their world views, and interests.

Correct, but still interesting, no?

4 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

The largest group (37%) was what I would call "cultural non-believers", and what they call "academic" or "intellectual atheists": people who are well-educated, interested in religion, informed about it, but not themselves believers. I call them "cultural" because they are at home in a secular culture which takes as axiomatic that exclusive religious truth claims must be false. Essentially, they are how I imagined the majority readership of Comment is free's belief section.

*Drops mic*

@TABA

Yeah, that's the plurality group I thing  I fall into  🙃

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Drops mic*

@TABA

Picking up the mic… I’d say yeah, I’m in that first group, of people who are “interested in religion, informed about it, but not themselves believers”.  Intellectual atheists, as the writer and @Joshpanterahas often said, not because we’re necessarily academic types but because we know and can well articulate why we no longer believe.  In spades.  I mean, that’s almost the definition of most members of this community, right?  

We’re interested because we spent - in most cases - years inside Christianity, until we left.  We’re informed because that’s how we reluctantly concluded it was fiction in all the ways that matter most.  You won’t find any “lazy atheists” here: we’ve examined it, painstakingly researched it, and often agonized before joining the distinguished ranks of non-believers.  

As for being an anti-theist, I do consider myself one simply because i believe theism is always potentially harmful.  On the other hand I don’t match the description of the anti-theist in this article.  I’m not hostile to believers, not a zealot, not angry.  

I’ll comment on the other types of atheist described in the column in a bit, but I must make a nod to @LogicalFallacy: it’s true, the only thing you can say for sure about atheists is that we don’t believe in any god.  Everything else is up for grabs.  

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

"A new study in the US..."

I'm already suspicious.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

"A new study in the US..."

I'm already suspicious.

This was an English perspective of  a US study, where they speculated that the percentages of each group studied would likely be different in England and in Europe. This study was based upon the south-eastern US.  But my guess would be that percentages would not be that much different in England and western Europe. But I expect percentages of different types of atheists would be quite different in Russia, China, Japan, India, Moslem countries, etc.

Just go to the site of the study here.

mwc

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, pantheory said:

This was an English perspective of a US study, where they speculated