Goodbye Jesus

Ghost Pictures.

Guest JP

I do sometimes forget that not all ex-c's are atheists. Which brings up an interesting question: If I am a 'strong' atheist and believe that there are no deities, does that mean I'm close-minded? :shrug:

Only if you act like a fundy about it, as in, everyone who doesn't believe what you believe must be stupid or somehow a bad person or both. There's a difference between being a member of a group and a fundy member of a group.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trashy

• euphgeek

• LadyFeline

• Ouroboros

OK, you will have to trust me when I tell you that I am chanting "remain calm, remain calm" under my breath while I type this (LOL). Some in this thread have thrown out accusations that Randi is somehow repressing applicants unfairly. This is patently false. Hundreds have applied. However it is true that very few actually get to the testing stage. This is primarily because they won't agree to double-blind and verifiable criteria. JREF requires that they sign off on the testing procedures, but they don't actually do any testing themselves. If you just go look at their web site you'll see dozens of actual correspondence with applicants. Is it really surprising that dowsers and spoon-benders complain when they can't rig the testing? Ok, sorry, had to get that off my chest.....

Okay, I understand your side of it. But I also don't think it's fair to say that people are somehow equivalent to a Christian fundy just because they're not an atheist and believe in possibilities. That's like saying Buddhists are equivalent to Christian fundies, or Pagans, or whatever, just because they have some kind of god belief. A fundy isn't a fundy because of a god belief, they're a fundy because of how they treat other people.

Okay, I understand your side of it. But I also don't think it's fair to say that people are somehow equivalent to a Christian fundy just because they're not an atheist and believe in possibilities. That's like saying Buddhists are equivalent to Christian fundies, or Pagans, or whatever, just because they have some kind of god belief. A fundy isn't a fundy because of a god belief, they're a fundy because of how they treat other people.

I agree, that term has been much abused in this thread...