Goodbye Jesus

A Subversive Way To Undermine Christianity

Yalta

Since Christianity, when looked at critically, is its own worst enemy, how about this. Take the worst Bible verses you can think of, like Numbers 5:11-22, or Deuteronomy 22:28-29, and write them on walls, or spraypaint them somewhere (well, maybe not that one), or maybe find a Gideon's Bible and take a highlighter and bookmark and highlight the fucked up verses.

Non-Christians will ignore it, while Christians may feel compelled to check out what the verse says, and then they'll be (hopefully, unless they can explain it away easily) shocked at what the "Good" Book actually says!

The thing is, Christians wouldn't exactly object to and instantly try to destroy a Bible verse billboard or Bible verse written somewhere the way they would anything that promotes atheism. They vandalize atheist billboards or threaten atheist billboard owners all the damn time, but would they vandalize something that says "Numbers 5:11-22", which appears to be a harmless verse from their own holy book?

So, point out the fucked up verses in the most innocuous manner, and let the Christians do the searching. Have fun!

• Like 3

I could do that in church. When people ask me about my favorite verse, I'll say it's Jeremiah 19:9. I could make a list of all my favorite, most inspiring bible verses and post it on the holy bulletin board. Or give it to the SS teachers. Or the pastor.

Excellent idea! I hadn't even thought of it that way. To be honest, I was never a church person, and I'm kinda far removed from the fundyism that many of you guys live with.

If you give the verses to the Sunday School teachers, they may figure out what you're up to. I say try to get through to as many of the regular people first as you can.

That sounds so deliciously evilyellow.gif I'll have to remember that.

Love it Yalta!!! zDuivel7.gifzDuivel7.giffiredevil.gif If the "true believers" would actually READ their bible they might realize it is certainly not any good book as you said.

Reading the bible & trying to take is seriously is what caused my faith to completely crumble.

Reading the bible DID convert me...out of Christianity!! Ha ha!! How ironic!GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Bumper stickers set up like this would be a good idea, too. Even T-shirts.

Yeah. The easiest thing a regular person can do is the "highlight verses and stick a bookmark" kind of thing, maybe on Bibles in a church, but if this idea spread and became a movement somehow... anyone want to e-mail/PM all the major YouTube atheists in the hopes that they'll make videos about this idea? (I don't know who they all are)

3pfgd0.jpg

Backfires -------"You're just cherry picking" follow by them doing that exact thing.

Drawback ------ Public vandalism is illegal. However suggestions for passages for the Pastor and such are acceptable. However, that route would open you up to questions.

Complications ----- Family could pull a Christian Intervention on you. You also could be drawn into arguments and such about how to read the bible. Ya know in the orginal Greek and Hebrew. Which is ironic because that part of the world was mismash of languages and dialects.

If you wanna be stealth about it, you'll probably have no issue.

I have an idea. Wait 30 years for the 'older' generation of xians to die. Did England (or Europe in general) start a negative campaign to eradicate xianity or did it just naturally disintegrate over time?

Though, I did my part recently and threw away two bibles. :-)

I have an idea. Wait 30 years for the 'older' generation of xians to die.

Hasn't worked for 2000 years, but we should be ok in another 30?

3pfgd0.jpg

Backfires -------"You're just cherry picking" follow by them doing that exact thing.

Drawback ------ Public vandalism is illegal. However suggestions for passages for the Pastor and such are acceptable. However, that route would open you up to questions.

Complications ----- Family could pull a Christian Intervention on you. You also could be drawn into arguments and such about how to read the bible. Ya know in the orginal Greek and Hebrew. Which is ironic because that part of the world was mismash of languages and dialects.

If you wanna be stealth about it, you'll probably have no issue.

I believe a group of atheists recently rented a billboard and put up a Bible verse that supports slavery. They assumed that people would see this and conclude that the Bible is an immoral book made by humans. Instead Christians thought the atheist group was trying to bring back slavery. Major backfire. Do not underestimate the willful ignorance of the indoctrinated sheep.

• Like 2

yeah I forgot about that one.

I have an idea. Wait 30 years for the 'older' generation of xians to die.

Hasn't worked for 2000 years, but we should be ok in another 30?

I guess the negative scripture campaign is doomed as well then. Xians been carrying around those bibles for hundreds of years, never read them yet still believe in Jebus. They ignore what they don't want to hear...even if it's their own holy book.

• Like 2

I believe a group of atheists recently rented a billboard and put up a Bible verse that supports slavery. They assumed that people would see this and conclude that the Bible is an immoral book made by humans. Instead Christians thought the atheist group was trying to bring back slavery. Major backfire. Do not underestimate the willful ignorance of the indoctrinated sheep.

I know a few of the people who were involved in that billboard, and they definitely didn't expect the public to misconstrue the meaning the way they did. If an atheist points out something bad in the Bible, then to the religious public it must be that the atheist is bad, not the Bible. In retrospect, though, I know that at least one of the guys responsible for the billboard thinks that they shouldn't have used the image that they did; the picture may have had the biggest effect on people's emotions.

http://www.pennlive....lboard_was.html

Since Christianity, when looked at critically, is its own worst enemy, how about this. Take the worst Bible verses you can think of, like Numbers 5:11-22, or Deuteronomy 22:28-29, and write them on walls, or spraypaint them somewhere (well, maybe not that one), or maybe find a Gideon's Bible and take a highlighter and bookmark and highlight the fucked up verses.

Non-Christians will ignore it, while Christians may feel compelled to check out what the verse says, and then they'll be (hopefully, unless they can explain it away easily) shocked at what the "Good" Book actually says!

The thing is, Christians wouldn't exactly object to and instantly try to destroy a Bible verse billboard or Bible verse written somewhere the way they would anything that promotes atheism. They vandalize atheist billboards or threaten atheist billboard owners all the damn time, but would they vandalize something that says "Numbers 5:11-22", which appears to be a harmless verse from their own holy book?

So, point out the fucked up verses in the most innocuous manner, and let the Christians do the searching. Have fun!

I could do that in CHURCH! Might be a whole new reason to start going back.

I know a few of the people who were involved in that billboard, and they definitely didn't expect the public to misconstrue the meaning the way they did. If an atheist points out something bad in the Bible, then to the religious public it must be that the atheist is bad, not the Bible. In retrospect, though, I know that at least one of the guys responsible for the billboard thinks that they shouldn't have used the image that they did; the picture may have had the biggest effect on people's emotions.

http://www.pennlive....lboard_was.html

As soon as I saw the imagery, and the "Slaves, obey your masters" thing, I thought "people are totally going to take this the wrong way." I mean, how could they not upon instantly seeing it? Instead, it should have just shown the actual bible verse, and said "According to the bible, slaves should obey their masters" and not had an offensive picture to go with it.

I couldn't imagine how anyone WOULDN'T expect people to take it the wrong way.

• Like 1

I couldn't imagine how anyone WOULDN'T expect people to take it the wrong way.

I agree. I find it difficult to believe that an Atheist group lacked the foresight to conclude how this message would be received.

I guess the negative scripture campaign is doomed as well then. Xians been carrying around those bibles for hundreds of years, never read them yet still believe in Jebus. They ignore what they don't want to hear...even if it's their own holy book.

Ah yes BUT...for the vast majority of that time most christians were unable to read their own holy book. Illiteracy aside, the catholic church wouldn't translate it from Latin. In modern society mainstream christianity accomplishes the same end with "study bibles" and the like, encouraging people to "read the word" then steering them toward certain parts.

Ah yes BUT...for the vast majority of that time most christians were unable to read their own holy book. Illiteracy aside, the catholic church wouldn't translate it from Latin. In modern society mainstream christianity accomplishes the same end with "study bibles" and the like, encouraging people to "read the word" then steering them toward certain parts.

Yes, don't dwell on the nasty parts. I remember being steered to the good parts. It is hilarious that 'they' tell you to study your bible....just dont question it. One thing that helps keep christians in the fold is the fact that the bible is so boring to begin with, fellow parishioners know that you will never get around to reading it, even if you are admonished to read it everyday! :-)

Spray-painting might not be the best idea; most likely Christians would just make the connection that all atheists are vandals. Once I printed a list of the most fucked-up bible verses I could find and left them around campus at a Christian college, though! A little critical-thinking homework for em.

That's awesome. I bet you never heard people talking about it out loud though. Still, that's something people could easily do, take fucked up bible verses, print them out or write them on paper, leave them around places where Christians meet in large numbers. We should all do that. And spread the idea to major atheist websites and YouTube celebrities.

Without the image Christians would forget that slavery was cruel. The atheist groups need to realize that billboards are a no-win waste of money. Put that same billboard up without the image and a Christian thinks "Well God has the right to tell us that because God made us". They do this all the time when they read about the genocide in the Old Testament. "Well God had to kill those people. I'm sure God had a good reason. Now let's sing a hymn."

I still think you can kickstart some thinking in them by reminding them of crappy Bible verses. Some testimonials on this site are by people who stopped believing in Christianity as a result of realizing how messed up the Bible was.

• Like 1

I'd hate to see this topic disappear. Anyone planning to actually do some of these things? I want this to be a movement. It would be more successful than some of the dumb things that American Atheists has done.