Goodbye Jesus

A Subversive Way To Undermine Christianity

Yalta

Yep. Tomorrow's Sunday, so I'm planning to stick verses in the church library books as bookmarks. Maybe leave one in the bathroom or a pew.

Awesome. Even better, have the verses be bookmarked at the fucked up part so they can read it right away. Christians tend not to actually read their bible, as many former Christians can certainly attest to!

Oops. I thought you were referring to Bibles at the time. Well, bookmark the Bibles and show just how messed up it really is.

I did it! I spent this morning's service writing Deut. 22:28-29, 1 Cor. 11:7-9, etc., on little pieces of paper, and stuck them in the library books. Think I'm gonna start leaving them around in public, hoping Xians will find them. I know a few hard-core Xians at school; I could slip the gems into people's lockers.

• Like 1

I did it! I spent this morning's service writing Deut. 22:28-29, 1 Cor. 11:7-9, etc., on little pieces of paper, and stuck them in the library books. Think I'm gonna start leaving them around in public, hoping Xians will find them. I know a few hard-core Xians at school; I could slip the gems into people's lockers.

• Like 2

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Psalms 137:9

Anyone up for a little infant baby tossing?!!! Wahoo!!!

Awesome. Maybe you could use them as bookmarks for Bibles at church, even leaving them inside the Bible at the appropriate page!

And that's another fucked up verse, LifeCycle. Love it! Spread that one around as well!

Here are some more:

1 Samuel 15

3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Exodus 21

20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Ezekiel 21 (NIV)

20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

I'd omit Ezekiel 21:20, and focus more on the immoral stuff. The stuff where God does or tells people to do something fucked up. That'd be more likely to get them thinking "What?"

Also, we could have Christians saying that Jay-bus voided the Old Testament with the "new covenant."

What's up with that?

Not to get off topic here but I've quoted negative things in the old T but was always met with, "Well, that was before Jesus and we have anew covenant". I've heard that a lot. To me though it's like well why didn't this perfect omniscient god do the new testament shit first? So it changed its mind?

WTF?

but I've quoted negative things in the old T but was always met with, "Well, that was before Jesus and we have anew covenant". I've heard that a lot. To me though it's like well why didn't this perfect omniscient god do the new testament shit first? So it changed its mind?

Another one you can hit them with, is humankind is 200,000 years old, but took 197,000 years before Yahweh shows up... and this is to one tribe of goat herders in Palestine.

Some people are going to pull the "Well God's children were so awful and disobedient back then, that he had to deal with them harshly..." or "Yeah, but that's all Old Testament stuff. The New Testament completely changes everything..." or "You're not interpreting the scriptures right..." etc.

Some people are going to pull the "Well God's children were so awful and disobedient back then, that he had to deal with them harshly..." or "Yeah, but that's all Old Testament stuff. The New Testament completely changes everything..." or "You're not interpreting the scriptures right..." etc.

I heard the same reasons used in sermons when I was in the cult. They always have excuses to justify the horror of the bible.

Still, this is not for confronting people face to face. This is for getting people to think about this shit at some point. Just leave the verses somewhere, write them on things, hide them in places where Christians will see them, etc. Don't talk to them about it, just leave it there for them to deal with on their own. If you confront them, they get defensive. If you leave it for them to find, their brain might not enter defense mode immediately and it could sink in.

This is a fave!

1 Timothy 2:12. 12 pI do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

Think that would work on many Christian women? Fundies too?

Think that would work on many Christian women? Fundies too?

I thought about that, but I strongly doubt it. As far as verses outlining women's secondary status, that is one of the more well-known bits. It's hard to get fundies concerned about women's rights unless physical or emotional abuse is involved. Try Deut. 22:28-29, the one where God says a rapist can marry his victim if he pays the girl's father.

I agree. I figured the Deuteronomy one about rape would work much better. Plaster that everywhere to let Christians get a small glimpse into how fucked up the Bible is.

See if you can put the 1 Tim. one where the Xian kids--especially the girls--will find it. They might not know about it yet and are probably not as taken yet with the fundy-housewife idea.

I'd omit Ezekiel 21:20, and focus more on the immoral stuff. The stuff where God does or tells people to do something fucked up. That'd be more likely to get them thinking "What?"

The irony with that is that many fundies consider it immoral to talk about stuff like being hung like a donkey. I do agree, though, that the kill 'em, rape 'em & enslave 'em stuff is far worse.

Not to get off topic here but I've quoted negative things in the old T but was always met with, "Well, that was before Jesus and we have anew covenant". I've heard that a lot. To me though it's like well why didn't this perfect omniscient god do the new testament shit first? So it changed its mind?

WTF?

I heard the same reasons used in sermons when I was in the cult. They always have excuses to justify the horror of the bible.

Indeed, the excuses are just ridiculous rationalizations. The OT is clearly based on an ancient tribalistic mentality. It was simply pillaging being justified by claiming that "God" was on their side. Not really any different from the 9/11 hijackers' rationalizations for their actions.

good idea!!

I like getting those verses, not to ask, "Why do you listen to that verse and not the other?"... or "Why do you cherry pick the good scriptures and ignore these?"

I like to ask this question:

did the GOD of YOUR FAITH EVER command or condone these things?

then when they think, "hmm dashing babies head on rocks, ripping open pregnant women, stoning people to death... all these countless abhorrent and hideous atrocities usually get catergorised into the little box in my head labeled, "That's how they rolled back then"... but when I think about it, no, I don't believe that the God of my faith did ever command or condone such things"...

Then the thread has been pulled... and the more you pull, the more things fall apart.

"things falling apart" isn't what I want... but when it's the person them self doing the pulling of the thread, they will do that at their own pace in their own journey.

Then again.. I don't really know what I'm talking about lol.. just throwing out thoughts and ideas! :-)

• Like 1

good idea!!

I like getting those verses, not to ask, "Why do you listen to that verse and not the other?"... or "Why do you cherry pick the good scriptures and ignore these?"

I like to ask this question:

did the GOD of YOUR FAITH EVER command or condone these things?

then when they think, "hmm dashing babies head on rocks, ripping open pregnant women, stoning people to death... all these countless abhorrent and hideous atrocities usually get catergorised into the little box in my head labeled, "That's how they rolled back then"... but when I think about it, no, I don't believe that the God of my faith did ever command or condone such things"...

Then the thread has been pulled... and the more you pull, the more things fall apart.

"things falling apart" isn't what I want... but when it's the person them self doing the pulling of the thread, they will do that at their own pace in their own journey.

Then again.. I don't really know what I'm talking about lol.. just throwing out thoughts and ideas! :-)

I like that very much. I'm going to try it. Thank you.

I don't know if this helps, but I was one of the bots who was into digging into the Hebrew/Greek 'original texts' and all that crap. I could 'explain away' most inconsistencies. Or at least I would try lie to myself that I could and did not understand until much later the overall irritation I was feeling was called 'cognitive dissonance'.

Persistance is helpful. I studied incessantly. A person is brainwashed in that way - through repetition, so unwash them in a similar manner. Keep a variety of the uncomfortable, inexplicable verses in the forefront of their minds. They will dismiss it using a regurgitated explanation and shove it in the back of their heads if you don't. They will initially do this anyhow. At least I did. I used to drive myself nuts trying to 'biblically' prove why something that wasn't okay, was okay. I came up with explanations for why it was okay for the she-bear to tare forty-and-two children. It was all in the translation. *rolls eyes*. I could not however, come up with a goddamn explanation for not boiling a kid (goat) in it's mothers milk. I didn't know why the hell you would want to even do that to need to be told not to. I ignored that one, unable to craft an allegory: "Well, you see the kid represents the children of god and wait, then the milk would be the word of god and...oh fuck, that doesn't work. Forget it!"

What got me finally was the absurd atrocities, specifically in the OT. Some jackass 'running through' with a sword an Israelite man who was with a woman from another nation. The commands to kill 'em all. Yahweh offing scads of people because David heinously counted them (gasp!). Highlight these types of assortments, also leaving a reference to a NT or other verse stating the direct opposite and going on about all this supposed love! Bring forth the dissonance, smack them with it full frontal using nothing more than their own book; make their heads uncomfortable. Lather, rinse, repeat. It finally got through. I studied it so much, the bible undid itself for me.

Those that are receptive to questioning the cult will do so eventually, I think.

Paul's misynogistic assholery finally got through to me as well but it took longer. It depends a lot on the type of person that would find the highlights, bookmarks and such.

Oh - a few more good ones to be highlighted or bookmarked. Here is a happy family story about Yahweh and Moses. Even with all my 'studying' I couldn't figure out what the point of this cheery Exodus anecdote actually was (maybe it can also irritate someone else into thinking):

Exodus 4:

24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him (Moses), and sought to kill him.

25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

So. Yahweh in an apparent fit of PMS decides to just...kill Moses today. (Very random because in the immediately preceding verses 'god' was just telling Moses what he should say to Pharaoh. Then all of a sudden...this little belch of unrelatedness.) So Moses' wife hacks on the genital area of her own son, happily and lovingly throws the bloodied wiener bit at Moses' feet and says he's a bloody husband. Then Yahweh changes his mind. Yes! Makes perfect sense, which it actually does *if* you see Yahweh for what he/it is ;) (Not real, a dick, an abusive psycho, certainly not a 'god', etc., take your pick) Oddly enough, this was never one of the stories they talked about in Sunday school.

Anything that plants the seed of doubt and helps them realize it's all shit.

I really want this idea to be spread by the major atheist players on YouTube. Imagine if TheAmazingAtheist and others on YouTube spread the idea of highlighting evil Bible verses, putting bookmarks that emphasize them in Bibles (Gideon's and otherwise), buying billboard space to show fucked up Bible verses (just the verse name and number, not the actual quote, so the billboard won't be vandalized, and maybe Christians would look up the verse out of curiosity and be shocked), and so on.