Goodbye Jesus

Is The Call Real?

Guest Ask21771

Guest Ask21771

I used to have experiences in which I felt God's presence.  I eventually realized that it was all in my head.  I haven't felt anything like that in years.

how did you realize it

I spent a couple of years studying obsessively, wanting to understand the truth about natural history and the history of Christianity and other religions.  Once I understood the evolution of the Jesus narrative and the evolution of humanity those thoughts went away.

Please answer I'm really frightened I may have just encountered God has this happened to anyone else here

Is God supposed to be frightening? Or loving? Would God do a flyby and just leave you hanging?

Have you Googled 'dopamine release' ?

Please answer I'm really frightened I may have just encountered God has this happened to anyone else here

I get altered states of consciousness.  It use to happen mostly during worship service at church.  However now I have learned to control it through meditation.  I use it as a tool to fight off bad emotions.

It isn't God.  Rather it is something strange the human brain does.

• Super Moderator

If there really were a god and you encountered it, you would probably know it and not have to ask.

Are you by any chance bipolar?

Guest CutiePie

I always thought when I was a Christian, that a calling was Jesus calling you to come over to his side, then he has this calling for you, that your calling is to be a doctor, teacher, coach, counselor or whatever. I was very obsessed with having a calling because on TV the pastors always made it seem that if you don't have a calling, you're not important, now that I'm an ex-christian, I believe that a "calling" is simply your passion, if someone is a chef, they are passionate about cooking, if someone is a teacher, they are passionate about educating and helping others, etc...so no, there is no such thing as a calling. 

+ if Jesus really cared about people he would have called EVERYONE and not a selected few. He would have made sure that people are on his side and not the evil side, let me find you a contradiction in the bible....

Matthew 22:14 - For many are called, but few are chosen

Something like this happened today I was watching a Christian video to laugh at but suddenly I felt like I was in some great presence in my mind that changed me for a few moments

Recall how feeling something doesn't make it real. And why are you frightened? Your description of the presence of the great mind for a few moments doesn't sound scary.

A suggestion: leave religious materials alone for a while. At least a few months. I think it will take at least that long to de-program yourself enough to be in a position of strength so you can look back on things and laugh about them.

Guest Furball

I used to have experiences in which I felt God's presence.  I eventually realized that it was all in my head.  I haven't felt anything like that in years.

I can't say it any better. Same goes for me-peace

Guest Ask21771

If there really were a god and you encountered it, you would probably know it and not have to ask.

Yes

• Super Moderator

Yes

There are a few others in the same boat. I suggest you start reading some of Brother Jeff's posts regarding bipolar and religious fixation.

Once you realize your religious feelings are a product of your bipolar condition, you can make great strides toward peace.

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/66530-to-anyone-with-bipolar-schizophrenia-or-disability-that-leads-to-psychosis/#.VMF46EfF_s8

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/64496-bipolar-mania-issues/?hl=%2Bbrother+%2Bjeff+%2Bbipolar#entry990652

I'm a little late to the party, but...

After over 20 years as a Christian and having spent more than a handful of those years working in ministry (radio, specifically), I have now been god-free completely for two years. My journey started in 2003, when I left my church and really questioned my faith after being diagnosed with something that was supposed to have killed me 10.5 years ago. 

I did all the same things... Doubted myself, feared hell--- shit! I feared hell for years. But after a while I realized more and more just how crazy all that fear is. I went from fundamentalist Christian, to liberal Christian, to deist, to pagan, to agnostic with theistic tendencies and now, atheist for the last two years. It was a long road, but I can't imagine ever going back. No, I do not fear hell any longer, despite the fact that fear of hell probably motivated me to do most everything I did in my life until seven or eight years ago.

• Like 1

I went the fundamentalist -> agnostic -> atheist -> pagan route. I tried pure atheism for a while after I deconverted but it didn't fit me any better than christianity did. I still have a spiritual side and I couldn't let go of it and become a pure materialist (Ironically, I was more of a materialist back in my fundie days). I may be pagan but I may (technically) be an agnostic of sorts though i doubt they would still count me among their ranks. I don't believe in a literal God and Goddess but I do treat them as being symbolic of things in the human experience and nature (and are thus important to honor).  Plus, I think it's it's fun to celebrate the 8 sabbats as the seasons change.

I went the fundamentalist -> agnostic -> atheist -> pagan route. I tried pure atheism for a while after I deconverted but it didn't fit me any better than christianity did. I still have a spiritual side and I couldn't let go of it and become a pure materialist (Ironically, I was more of a materialist back in my fundie days). I may be pagan but I may (technically) be an agnostic of sorts though i doubt they would still count me among their ranks. I don't believe in a literal God and Goddess but I do treat them as being symbolic of things in the human experience and nature (and are thus important to honor).  Plus, I think it's it's fun to celebrate the 8 sabbats as the seasons change.

I still think the solstices and such are cool. And I also have experienced some things that can't readily be explained by science -- yet. But I have no reason to believe there is any creator god. The "unexplainable" will eventually be explained by science. 

I still think the solstices and such are cool. And I also have experienced some things that can't readily be explained by science -- yet. But I have no reason to believe there is any creator god. The "unexplainable" will eventually be explained by science. 

I've had paranormal experiences too, and that's part of the reason why I couldn't reconcile pure atheism with my own life experiences. At least you're honest about it. I've seen too many people outright dismiss stuff they deem to be impossible (i.e. paranormal, spiritual, etc.)  right out of hand unless i bring them irrefutable proof on a silver platter at a moment's notice.

I've had paranormal experiences too, and that's part of the reason why I couldn't reconcile pure atheism with my own life experiences. At least you're honest about it. I've seen too many people outright dismiss stuff they deem to be impossible (i.e. paranormal, spiritual, etc.)  right out of hand unless i bring them irrefutable proof on a silver platter at a moment's notice.

I told a few stories in the chat room a couple weeks ago. Yes, I've had experiences. Weird as fuck experiences. I will not deny that and yes I've been ridiculed for it. I do think there is a scientific explanation for it. There is a shit-ton we don't know about the universe we live in. 150 years ago we didn't know what radio waves were. We still don't understand things like particle-wave duality, for example. There are new discoveries all the time, and I think it's only a matter of time before we discover what makes paranormal things happen. Yes, they do happen. Some atheists will tell you you're batshit crazy and deluded to think so, but I know that the physical things I witnessed (as did others with me) did happen, and with no "natural" explanation. I hope we do figure out what makes these things happen, in my lifetime. Unfortunately, there are a ton of assholes out there making shit up and making everything out that goes bump in the night to be a ghost. That sort of nonsense will ensure that science keeps its distance from trying to unravel true "paranormal" occurrences for a long, long time, unfortunately. 

I was thinking about it and I went through a phase when I was about 11 or 12 where I was obsessed with ghosts and the paranormal. A classmate of mine was killed in a car accident and my friends and I used an ouija board (by Milton Bradley) and dowsing rods (which were actually pencils) to communicate with him. And then we started communicating with a local collage student who was found murdered nearby. We were FULLY CONVINCED that it was 100% true. We talked to them everyday like they were our buddies. We'd play our own version of Bloody Mary in the mirror and swore we saw them. There was no doubt in my mind at all that it was completely real. Looking back of course, it was all in our heads. And it feels so silly to think about now. But that's because I'm looking back with a clear mind and an objective view.

Basically, if we want it bad enough, we can convince ourselves anything is real.

I was thinking about it and I went through a phase when I was about 11 or 12 where I was obsessed with ghosts and the paranormal. A classmate of mine was killed in a car accident and my friends and I used an ouija board (by Milton Bradley) and dowsing rods (which were actually pencils) to communicate with him. And then we started communicating with a local collage student who was found murdered nearby. We were FULLY CONVINCED that it was 100% true. We talked to them everyday like they were our buddies. We'd play our own version of Bloody Mary in the mirror and swore we saw them. There was no doubt in my mind at all that it was completely real. Looking back of course, it was all in our heads. And it feels so silly to think about now. But that's because I'm looking back with a clear mind and an objective view.

Basically, if we want it bad enough, we can convince ourselves anything is real.

Ouija boards, dowsing rods, etc... Kid stuff. What I'm talking about isn't like that. I'm talking straight out of a Stephen King novel crazy shit. As in, physical things happening, like light switches physically flipping themselves on and off, radios tuning themselves to a different station across the dial (older, analog knob and string type radios, not a newer digital type), coathangers that flung themselves across a room, light fixtures that would swing violently when no one was near them. That type of stuff. 

There was no need to convince myself of anything when most of these things happened. There were others present and we all saw the same thing. No trickery involved either. It just is what it is. Not saying it's ghosts, but these things happened and I cannot explain why. These things also didn't happen because we were trying to "talk to the dead" or some silly shit. We were just there, doing our jobs. 

Again let me be clear though, I do think there is a scientific explanation. I have no reason to think these things involve gods, ghosts, demons or any such thing. As I said before, I think there are lots of interesting things that science has yet to figure out, and someday it will.

i don't want to be Christian and the only reason I even bothered to research it was out of fear of going to hell, but the thing is lately I've started to feel like part of me is attracted to it, I know the Christians say that Jesus "calls" to you and tries to change your desires but frankly I'm not convinced, I still have problems with the Christian religion. It I'm worried that I am being called and if I ignore it (if I have the ability to do so) I'll go to hell

For what reason do you think this call is coming in? What event(s) led you to believe this.

There is no one on the othe end calling. If you hear that in your mind that is just your doubt fooling with you. Chances are no matter what any of us do if there really is the god of christianity we are all fucked including the so called believers. So have some fun in this life and make it all you can. there is not now nor has there ever been proof of anything after. make this one all that you can. make now the most important time it will never return to you in your life.

Guest Ask21771

I've had som paranormal experiences too an am not an atheist, the reason I'm worried about being called is a lot of times when I hear Christian gospel I get this feeling inside like I'm hearing the truth even though I don't agree with it. I just want to know why

I've had som paranormal experiences too an am not an atheist, the reason I'm worried about being called is a lot of times when I hear Christian gospel I get this feeling inside like I'm hearing the truth even though I don't agree with it. I just want to know why

What things specifically are you getting "feelings" on? There is a reason a lot of people get sucked into the xian cult. On its surface, it is very appealing in some ways when not examined objectively. This is why many people "get saved" (sucked in) at a moment of weakness, because when you're going through shit it's hard not to focus on hard facts and much easier to just grab on to anything that appears to be a lifeline. Xianity has that "lifeline" appeal, and many grab it. But when examined deeper, you realize the lifeline is actually a noose. 

This is why many people have "salvation" experiences when going through things like battling drug addiction, financial difficulties, life-threatening illness, etc. They grab onto it because it appears to be the only thing they have left. It's a glimmer of hope. In reality, if they make it through, chances are they would have anyway, without the religion. This is also why many who grab onto it then go through multiple periods of "backsliding" and numerous times answering an "altar call" to get saved, over and over again. Christians try to make it appear as if god is doing the work for you, but in reality, the only way to really get through your problems is to work through them yourself. 

Guest Ask21771

What things specifically are you getting "feelings" on? There is a reason a lot of people get sucked into the xian cult. On its surface, it is very appealing in some ways when not examined objectively. This is why many people "get saved" (sucked in) at a moment of weakness, because when you're going through shit it's hard not to focus on hard facts and much easier to just grab on to anything that appears to be a lifeline. Xianity has that "lifeline" appeal, and many grab it. But when examined deeper, you realize the lifeline is actually a noose. 

This is why many people have "salvation" experiences when going through things like battling drug addiction, financial difficulties, life-threatening illness, etc. They grab onto it because it appears to be the only thing they have left. It's a glimmer of hope. In reality, if they make it through, chances are they would have anyway, without the religion. This is also why many who grab onto it then go through multiple periods of "backsliding" and numerous times answering an "altar call" to get saved, over and over again. Christians try to make it appear as if god is doing the work for you, but in reality, the only way to really get through your problems is to work through them yourself.

Anything Christian related it's like suddenly I feel this light that causes something inside of me to switch sides

Anything Christian related it's like suddenly I feel this light that causes something inside of me to switch sides

>shrug< OK then, give xianity a whirl. Let us know how it works out for you. 

Where are you when you hear the gospel, and how is it being presented? Church architecture, music, delivery of sermons, use of stories, hugging, holding hands--all these things are there to cause an emotional reaction in the participants. I still think you should leave religious materials alone for a few months. But when you're ready, I challenge you to read the Brother Jeff Version of the gospels (which actually stays pretty close to the King James Version) in your home with no music on and see if you feel the same thing.

• Like 1

Guest Ask21771

>shrug< OK then, give xianity a whirl. Let us know how it works out for you.

I still don't want Christianity to be true this is why I need an explanation of why this is happening PLEASE!!!

Guest Ask21771

Where are you when you hear the gospel, and how is it being presented? Church architecture, music, delivery of sermons, use of stories, hugging, holding hands--all these things are there to cause an emotional reaction in the participants. I still think you should leave religious materials alone for a few months. But when you're ready, I challenge you to read the Brother Jeff Version of the gospels (which actually stays pretty close to the King James Version) in your home with no music on and see if you feel the same thing.

Videos and stuff on the Internet