Goodbye Jesus

Is The Call Real?

Guest Ask21771

It just feels so powerful sometimes and it gets me so scared

I can relate.  For the longest time I was afraid of leaving Jesus.  I hung on no matter how ridiculous it was.  I was afraid and no logical argument could address the fear.

Guest Ask21771

It just feels so powerful sometimes and it gets me so scared

I can relate.  For the longest time I was afraid of leaving Jesus.  I hung on no matter how ridiculous it was.  I was afraid and no logical argument could address the fear.

Yeah what scary is how certain it can feel

What evidence do you have that Jesus is calling you? What makes you think that, outside of fear of going to hell?

Think about this. They have nothing on you besides your fear.

Consider how you would falsify your hypothesis that someone or something is calling you. Meaning, if this were just your imagination, how would you know it?

Something people tend to do with their god is define it in such a way as to make him, her or it unfalsifiable. You can't see the god? Well, it's invisible. Other people can't hear it? It just speaks to your mind (somehow). It doesn't predict things accurately? It's testing you, or says thing cryptically. It gave you a wrong answer? That voice must have been your own, not god's. Get it? An invisible, inaudible, cryptic god that tests people is what people would come up with to avoid admitting their god was imaginary. It also sounds just like the Christian god. 

Don't take my word for it, though--try it yourself. Your hypothesis seems to be that there is a being calling you to do something that you wouldn't otherwise do. What would make you believe it's false? Remember the rule: any explanation you come up with to not falsify it has to be real and not just something created out of thin air to keep the hypothesis alive. Also remember that the simplest explanation for something is usually the most accurate.

• Super Moderator

Like I said sometimes it just feels so certain their God is the right one 

Cultural conditioning/brainwashing. 

Feeling something doesn't make it so. Other people feel the same way about their gods. The way to sort it out is through reason, not feelings.

God is real, Jesus is real, the Bible is the infallible word of God, if you have been programmed to believe that is true then it's true for you. God exists in the minds of billions of people, so for them God is real.

If you believe Jesus is calling you then as far as you're concerned he is calling you. Even as a Christian I often wondered why, if God spoke everything into existence, he needed humans to do stuff for him?

Why did Noah have to collect all those animals? Did God forget where he put the blueprints to simply speak new animals into existence? Once the blinders of indoctrination wear off the bible can be seen for the collection of non-sense that it is.

We've practically been bred to believe in a god. Think about how religious authority would kill non-believers in the past. Anyone who tries to tell everybody else to stop believing in the government approved version of the Holy Woo was burned at the stake. These periods of anti-rationalism and anti-intellectualism have happened all over the world at different time periods. If you want to live, believe in the religion of the day and be quiet about any doubts.

We are social creatures. We tend to believe what the group believes. You see a lot of Christian believers and you think they must know something you don't. It's natural. If you were born in a place with a bunch of devout Muslims or Hindu you will start to think they were right too.

• Like 1

I know the feeling.  Ever notice how easy it is to reject other religions?  Specifically, I mean the religions you were not indoctrinated into.  Whenever I would hear about another religion I would laugh and wonder how could people believe that.  And yet people raised in those other religions reject Christianity just as quickly.

• Like 1

Guest Furball

Take away the fear of hell and the whole thing becomes meaningless. Take away the doctrine of hell and god/jesus are rendered useless/meaningless

Christianity has built-in survivability. It's victim is told to believe X or end up in agony forever. Once you accept the BS, it is difficult to exit. But it can be done. It requires a new way of thinking or feeling.

Work on some ideas that will set you free from  this fear. Maybe ask God everyday to appear and tell you directly that Hell is real and if he doesnt appear then it is safe to assume Hell and Christianity are false. Dont accept vague feelings as an appearance by the almighty. Or adopt the idea that you are more powerful than Jesus and all the other bible characters and they are subject to your will, not the other way around.

Guest Furball

I would just do a study on the actual evidence. That and my own personal experiences made me know for sure that christianity was a total scam. Good luck!

For me, the final nail in the coffin was evolution. If the creation story is false, the the resurrection story was built on a myth. It all falls down like a house of cards.

I, too, felt "the call" and it felt real.  But every time I tried to answer "the call", I ended up getting my teeth kicked in.  That, eventually, became a clue that "the call" is bullshit.

Hang out.  You're among friends.  Decide for yourself.

Professor, what do you mean by having your "teeth kicked in". I just had my "coming back" and another "coming out". How was your experience when you felt the call. If you don't mind sharing.

It''s just sometimes when I think about Christianity I feel this light in me but I want to know if it's real or just my mind

Its funnt but i feel the same way. Well sometimes i feel the light, sometimes heavy when I think about implications of Christinity being true, and then I just say I would not be able to follow that God with all my heart, if He is real.

Sometimes I feel like and happy and endorphins kick in. I SO understand you it's not even funny. I haven't been able to figure it all out 100% which is why i hang on to the idea of there being a God and afterlife, but not a Christian version of it.

Guest Furball

For me, the final nail in the coffin was evolution. If the creation story is false, the the resurrection story was built on a myth. It all falls down like a house of cards.

So true Sheerbliss, in the end the whole thing just fell apart on itself. Did i mention it was all a scam? -LeslieWave.gif

man, i have been back and forth so many times. Basically I am leaning towards there being some afterlife, but definitely not having Christianity as a single way of life. I have had certain experiences that are hard to explain away, but at the same time, when reading the Bible and thinking logically I have no desire for Christianity to be real. It's basically mind over emotions now. So i am just staying in the mid-way. Not a Christian and not atheist, trying to live a moral life just by following my heart and doing what seems right in my heart.

In terms of looking for evidence, i guess we can proove anything we want. We can find evidence to support any claim and point of you. I am kind of tired of examining the evidence now and just thinking about getting through the day feeling happy and good for myself. You know what i mean?

Lol thanks about my avatar. Yeah, classic moment smile.png

You can't really prove anything you want - you can only be satisfied with any proof of your choosing (subtle, but important difference)... This is the great lie of any 'truths' that are impossible to test (i.e. I have had certain experiences that are hard to explain away). Experiences that are "hard to explain" are usually very easy to explain when they are analyzed in the light of scientific inquiry. Even mass experiences of visions (i.e the virgin Mary) are easily explained.

We choose to make things 'mystical' and 'special' all the time, but in reality your brain is quite capable of inventing flying, fiery horses, virgin's floating in the air and all sorts of crazy stuff that isn't real.

We choose to label experiences we don't understand as 'spiritual' but it's curious that only people who believe in the immaterial experience the immaterial. If it were really there, how come we don't ALL experience it?

• Like 1

Guest Furball

It''s just sometimes when I think about Christianity I feel this light in me but I want to know if it's real or just my mind

I felt this light through other means such as meditating. Another reason i knew xtianity to be false, i felt similar feelings that i felt when i was a christian outside of christianity. Your asking questions and thats a good thing. Keep searching. Good luck!

Guest Furball

man, i have been back and forth so many times. Basically I am leaning towards there being some afterlife, but definitely not having Christianity as a single way of life. I have had certain experiences that are hard to explain away, but at the same time, when reading the Bible and thinking logically I have no desire for Christianity to be real. It's basically mind over emotions now. So i am just staying in the mid-way. Not a Christian and not atheist, trying to live a moral life just by following my heart and doing what seems right in my heart.

In terms of looking for evidence, i guess we can proove anything we want. We can find evidence to support any claim and point of you. I am kind of tired of examining the evidence now and just thinking about getting through the day feeling happy and good for myself. You know what i mean?

Lol thanks about my avatar. Yeah, classic moment smile.png

You can't really prove anything you want - you can only be satisfied with any proof of your choosing (subtle, but important difference)... This is the great lie of any 'truths' that are impossible to test (i.e. I have had certain experiences that are hard to explain away). Experiences that are "hard to explain" are usually very easy to explain when they are analyzed in the light of scientific inquiry. Even mass experiences of visions (i.e the virgin Mary) are easily explained.

We choose to make things 'mystical' and 'special' all the time, but in reality your brain is quite capable of inventing flying, fiery horses, virgin's floating in the air and all sorts of crazy stuff that isn't real.

We choose to label experiences we don't understand as 'spiritual' but it's curious that only people who believe in the immaterial experience the immaterial. If it were really there, how come we don't ALL experience it?

Yeah ranger got me on that one, about proving anything i want. I don't believe that to be true at all. if i found christianity to be true, i would be off this site and back in church and reading a bible again.

Guest Furball

That is a really great question burny. I have found that i have had spiritual experiences that other people have never had. This is a great mystery to me, and you got it right that what we don't understand is labeled as spiritual. I don't know why. I wish i could answer your question because it is a good one, and i have been trying to figure this stuff out after my deconversion. I guess the answer is i don't know....sucks to be me

Guest Ask21771

Something like this happened today I was watching a Christian video to laugh at but suddenly I felt like I was in some great presence in my mind that changed me for a few moments

I used to have experiences in which I felt God's presence.  I eventually realized that it was all in my head.  I haven't felt anything like that in years.