Goodbye Jesus

The Preacher Talked About Greed This Morning

Guest end3

I'm not entirely clear on what E3's position is. Does he think it takes a long time to be "saved"?  I'll let him speak for himself but in the meantime, is there a thread or a post of his anyone could direct me to? I'm wondering if somewhere I'm missing the point here.

So , say salvation is a process and it take 25 years....and about 11 years into it, you die. :) You're only 44% saved. Now what happens?

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I'm not entirely clear on what E3's position is. Does he think it takes a long time to be "saved"?  I'll let him speak for himself but in the meantime, is there a thread or a post of his anyone could direct me to? I'm wondering if somewhere I'm missing the point here.

So , say salvation is a process and it take 25 years....and about 11 years into it, you die. smile.png You're only 44% saved. Now what happens?

You get to spend all eternity looking at the "Salvation Loading"  display.

• Like 2

^^^  Rider and MM, that's funny stuff!  ^^^

Mat 19:21

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Perfect = teleios = τέλειος téleios, tel'-i-os; from G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with G3588) completeness:—of full age, man, perfect.

Terrible advise.  It makes pastors and priests rich and turns Christians into victims.

Terrible advise.  It makes pastors and priests rich and turns Christians into victims.

I forgot, only Democrats are capable of just distribution of wealth....

I forgot, only Democrats are capable of just distribution of wealth....

I do not consider Democrats to be good at that.  However the Kingdom of God does have a redistribution

plan for the wealth:

Joseph Prince                 5 million

Chris Okotie                  10 million

Matthew Ashimolowo   10 million

T. B.  Joshua                 15 million

T.D.  Jakes                    18 million

Billy Graham                 25 million

Creflo Dollar                  27 million

Benny Hinn                   42 million

Chris Oyakhilome         50 million

David Oyedepo           150 million

http://www.accra24.com/2015/03/2015-top-10-richest-pastors-in-world.html

God has a plan for your life and it is making some pastor filthy rich!
  • Like 1

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Perfect = teleios = τέλειος téleios, tel'-i-os; from G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with G3588) completeness:—of full age, man, perfect.

In the original Greek, "The Bible" can also mean "Bullshit". 

Hebrews 11 : 40, End.

You are only perfected in heaven, not on Earth.

Until then, follow Jesus in the promise of future perfection.

July 19, # 8, End3 wrote...

"You [bAA] keep intentionally comparing Christians against a finished standard, Christ.  The point is we are not finished in practice.."

# 15, End3 wrote...

"His [bAA's] intent is to use the doctrine to intentionally hurt people by pointing out that they are not equal to that standard."

I'm now going to settle this issue once and for all by clearly and finally proving that I am NOT holding any Christian in this forum to a perfect, Christ-like standard.  I don't expect End3 to either accept or acknowledge that I've proven this, but it will now be on record that I have.  So further accusation by him of my holding him to a perfect, Christ-like standard will be referred back to this post to show that I am NOT doing what he accuses me of.

My position of this matter, when I was a Christian and now haven't changed.

My position is that Christians are perfected by God in heaven and not on earth.  Therefore, I cannot be holding End3 to a perfect standard, because I don't believe that is scriptural.  As I will now demonstrate.

Hebrews, chapter 11 lists the many OT persons who looked forward in faith to being perfected by God in the future - not while they lived on earth.  The key verses are 39 and 40, which read, "These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what was promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect."  When will Noah, Abraham and Jacob be with Paul, Peter and John?   When will believers from OT and NT times be united with all Christian believers from every historical period?  Not in this life, but in heaven.  

Therefore, NO Christian can be considered perfected and finished by God until they enter heaven.

So I... cannot be...comparing End3 to a perfect and finished standard - because he is not yet in heaven.

I must therefore be comparing him to another, different standard, one that isn't perfect and finished.

There are only two named, worked examples from scripture of believers being perfected and finished by God  - Elijah and Moses.

The gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke describe Elijah and Moses appearing with Jesus in their resurrection bodies.  This is exactly the kind of immortal and incorruptible bodies that all Christians will receive when they are finally finished and perfected by God.  Such a change never happens while Christians still inhabit their original, fleshy bodies - they must wait in faith and in patience until they die or until God raises them, clothing their spirits in their new, heavenly flesh.  Physical, spiritual and moral perfection is NOT for this life, but for the next.

We know that Elijah was taken up alive into heaven by a fiery chariot (2 Kings 2 : 11).  Then, to strengthen the faith of the disciples and to show them God's glory, he appeared with Jesus on that high mountain.  "Appeared"...and then... "Disappeared".  Elijah (and Moses) could move instantly from place to place, just as Jesus did when he instantly appeared to his followers in a locked room (John 20 : 26).  This is excellent corroborative evidence that both of these OT prophets had been perfected and finished by God and dwelt in heaven with Him.  A further point of logic is this.  Nobody and nothing sinful can enter God's presence in heaven without being destroyed.  Therefore, to come down from heaven and appear with Jesus and Moses, Elijah must have already been perfected and finished by God.  There is no other possible, scripturally-viable way for Elijah to go up into heaven and to still be in his sinful, imperfect and unfinished body.

Moses' journey to perfection was somewhat different and sheds light on what will eventually happen to all believers.

He died a true physical death and was buried by Joshua in Moab (Deuteronomy 34 : 5 & 6).  Then, after Joshua departed to re-join the Israelites, the archangel Michael came to carry Moses' dead body up to heaven, where God would return him to life in his new, resurrection body, perfected and finished for all eternity.  Satan knew that Moses would later appear with Jesus on the mountain, so he did his best to ruin God's plans.  Unable to prevent Elijah's departure, Satan tried to prevent Moses' body from being taken up to heaven.  This is recorded briefly in Jude 1 : 9.

So, I cannot be comparing End3 to the perfect and finished standard of Elijah and Moses.

I must therefore be comparing him to another, different standard, one that isn't perfect and finished.

Matthew 19 : 21

"Jesus answered, If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, then you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Q.

Where does this say that your treasure will be?    A.  In heaven, not on Earth.

Q.

Does Jesus say that selling your possessions and giving the money to the poor will make you perfect, here and now on Earth?

A.

No.  The act of selling stores up treasure in heaven.  There is no indication that it causes you to be perfect, here and now on Earth. 

Q.

What is Jesus asking Christians to do?

A.

Three things.  To sell, to give to the poor and then to follow him once they've done these things.

Q.

Should Christians expect these three actions to "perfect and finish them", here on Earth.

A.

No.  That's not part of the deal and that expectation also contradicts the rest of scripture.

Q.

When should Christians expect to be perfect and finished by God?

A.

Not until they have run their race (see 2 Tim 4 : 6 - 8) and finished their mortal lives, here on Earth.  The apostle Paul had stored up his treasure in heaven and didn't expect to receive his reward from God until after he died.  That's when he knew he would be perfected and finished by God.

Q.

Did Jesus ever use the word 'treasure' to mean anything Earthly?

A.

No. Matthew 6 : 19 - 21 is a specific instruction to store up treasure in heaven - not on Earth.  This agrees with Matthew 19 : 21, where Christians are instructed not to store up money and possessions on earth, but to sell them and follow Jesus, storing up treasure in heaven, where they will receive their reward and where they will be perfected and finished.

Matthew 5 : 48

"Be perfect, therefore, as your father in heaven is perfect."

Q.  Where is it that God the Father is perfect... on Earth or in heaven?  A. In heaven, not on Earth.

Q.  Since God the Father is perfect in heaven and ONLY Jesus was perfect on Earth, can any Christian ever expect to be like Jesus and be perfect, here on Earth?

A.  No.  That's blasphemy.  That's saying that humans can be perfect, like Jesus. 

This is an un-Christian, un-biblical doctrine that I do not agree with and do not hold to!

So are we clear on this, End?

You're wrong to accuse me of comparing you to a perfect, Christ-like standard.  I do not and have never done that.  This post and it's many examples proves my case.  Instead, I compare you to the imperfect, but obedient standard of the early Christian church, as described in the Gospels, in Acts and in the Epistles.

Can show that the early followers of Jesus were (in any way) perfect and finished?  If so, please do.

Can you justify why I shouldn't compare you to the Christians in the early church?  If so, please do.

Over to you.

BAA.

• 2 weeks later...

But that's not what the Bible says, is it?    

Maybe in your world, however, as Thomas Paine said, the Bible is the most read and least examine book in history.

However, it is written in Deuteronomy 4:39; Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.  

Hence, if one examines the Gospel as written in  Matthew 4:4 then they might better comprehend that which is written in 2 Peter 1:20-21, Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.  

9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

Deut 18:9-13

Considering that it is written:

He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he. Deut 32:4

Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. Ps 31:5

That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truthIsa 65:16

Thus, one might consider that the scripture in which it is written, Matthew 5:48, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." refers unto them who do not make or loveth a lie. 

2 Tim 3:13-17

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

In another post, I suggested that one might consider that the rich young ruler was Gaius Caesar Germanicus.   Gaius, the praenomen [Latin], was a personal name chosen by the parents of a Roman child.  The NT references the name Gaius in several passages, such as Romans 16:23.  

However, in context of the passage, Jesus had finished teaching and had departed the city.  While Jesus had gone forth in the way, the young man ran after Jesus and one might consider that the young man believed the teachings of Jesus he had heard, since he asked Jesus what he could do to inherit eternal life.

And as written in Mark 10:18-19,  "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother."

The passage continues, "And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest:"

That one thing which the young man lackest was he had yet to received the "seed".   Understanding that the 'seed' is the Word of God, if one believes the Word of God is the truth, then Proverbs 23:23 will explain why the Gospel is freely given, and what is required to receive Him as written in Luke 8:11 and Mark 9:37.

Thus, in Matt 19:21 it is written,"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."  But of course as you already know that the commands cited by Jesus are the statues and not the Commandments.  But the young man was lying to Jesus, hence the reference to being 'perfect' , as evident by the young man claiming to know the Commandments.

As written in Revelations 22:14-15, "Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."  

How you write is just as important as what you write, Justus.

You could have written, "I beg to differ" or "In my humble opinion, I disagree", restricting yourself only to scripture and it's interpretation.

But instead you wrote... "Maybe in your world, however...", which is an unnecessary personal attack on me. 

You do that a lot.

You probably don't even know that you're doing it, but you frequently attack the person in your sights, trying to score points over them and talking down to them.  And this is where your bad fruit is displayed for us to see.  

You don't do as you claim and confine yourself only to matters of scripture and scriptural interpretation.

You get personal.

And when you do this, we see what's really inside you. 

Maybe your interpretation of the meaning of "Maybe in your world" is a personal attack on you, as if your condescending responses don't reveal your true nature.  If you are that thin skinned as to imagine your being insulted then maybe you ought not post in the Lions Den, 

Maybe your interpretation of the meaning of "Maybe in your world" is a personal attack on you, as if your condescending responses don't reveal your true nature.  If you are that thin skinned as to imagine your being insulted then maybe you ought not post in the Lions Den, 

But I welcome your personal attacks on me Justus.  smile.png

They reveal your true nature and everyone reading this will take note.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Maybe your interpretation of the meaning of "Maybe in your world" is a personal attack on you, as if your condescending responses don't reveal your true nature.  If you are that thin skinned as to imagine your being insulted then maybe you ought not post in the Lions Den

lmao_99.gif Says Justus who's been around here for less than a year with a couple hundred holy ghosty posts under his belt to BAA who's been here since at least 2009 with over 4500 posts, most of which are in The Lion's Den.   yelrotflmao.gif  WendyDoh.gif yelrotflmao.gif

Know Thy Audience!

Maybe in your world, however, as Thomas Paine said, the Bible is the most read and least examine book in history.

However, it is written in Deuteronomy 4:39; Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.  

Hence, if one examines the Gospel as written in  Matthew 4:4 then they might better comprehend that which is written in 2 Peter 1:20-21, Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.  

9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

<Snip>

Just to be clear, you do know diviners, chronomancers (Or is that supposed to be clock makers? Or calendar makers?... Oh, wait, never mind. No one can see the future either.), enchanters, witches, (witches?), sorceresses/ers, wizards, and necromancers don't actually exist outside of fiction... Right? I mean, I guess some people call themselves as such, sure, but none of them can actually do anything their self proclaimed titles imply...

I have to question why a god that's supposed to exist is so concerned with things it should know absolutely don't exist... Unless he was made up by people that held other superstitious beliefs that are equally ridiculous...

I'd apologize for butting in, buuuuuuuut - I'm not going to.

But I welcome your personal attacks on me Justus.  smile.png

They reveal your true nature and everyone reading this will take note.

It's cuz you're bad Spock that he attacks you. :)

<Snip>

Just to be clear, you do know diviners, chronomancers (Or is that supposed to be clock makers? Or calendar makers?... Oh, wait, never mind. No one can see the future either.), enchanters, witches, (witches?), sorceresses/ers, wizards, and necromancers don't actually exist outside of fiction... Right? I mean, I guess some people call themselves as such, sure, but none of them can actually do anything their self proclaimed titles imply...

I have to question why a god that's supposed to exist is so concerned with things it should know absolutely don't exist... Unless he was made up by people that held other superstitious beliefs that are equally ridiculous...

Arguing the bible is like arguing the Alliance versus the Horde in World of Warcraft. It's all imaginary.

Consider BAA to be arguing on behalf of the Orcs (from Justus' perspective) while Justus fights the good fight, protecting the halls of Stormwind for the Alliance. The difference being BAA realizes he's playing a video game but Justus thinks it's real. :)

For the Horde!

<Snip>

Arguing the bible is like arguing the Alliance versus the Horde in World of Warcraft. It's all imaginary.

Consider BAA to be arguing on behalf of the Orcs (from Justus' perspective) while Justus fights the good fight, protecting the halls of Stormwind for the Alliance. The difference being BAA realizes he's playing a video game but Justus thinks it's real. smile.png

For the Horde!

Yeah, I get the dynamic, I'm just genuinely curious if anyone actually believes necromancy is an actual thing you can do. And if not, why do they believe in a god that is so concerned with something he should know no one can really do..?

• Like 1

Just to be clear, you do know diviners, chronomancers (Or is that supposed to be clock makers? Or calendar makers?... Oh, wait, never mind. No one can see the future either.), enchanters, witches, (witches?), sorceresses/ers, wizards, and necromancers don't actually exist outside of fiction... Right?

Sauron created the One Ring to make you think that.  It's the enchantment talking.

Just to be clear, you do know diviners, chronomancers (Or is that supposed to be clock makers? Or calendar makers?... Oh, wait, never mind. No one can see the future either.), enchanters, witches, (witches?), sorceresses/ers, wizards, and necromancers don't actually exist outside of fiction... Right?

Sauron created the One Ring to make you think that.  It's the enchantment talking.

Are you sure about that? Cause I've been having some strange nightmares lately, and a maddening desire to scour the south pacific ocean for... Something... And I'm pretty sure Mordor is in New Zealand...

• Like 1

Hence, if one examines the Gospel as written in Matthew 4:4 then they might better comprehend that which is written in 2 Peter 1:20-21, Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

<Snip>

Consider BAA to be arguing on behalf of the Orcs (from Justus' perspective) while Justus fights the good fight, protecting the halls of Stormwind for the Alliance. The difference being BAA realizes he's playing a video game but Justus thinks it's real. :)

For the Horde!

LerooooooooooooooooooooooY

Jenkins.

• Like 1

Yeah, I get the dynamic, I'm just genuinely curious if anyone actually believes necromancy is an actual thing you can do. And if not, why do they believe in a god that is so concerned with something he should know no one can really do..?

Here is a Newsweek article, Talking to the Dead: The Science of Necromancy

What I perceive the message the passage is conveying to the reader is that those

practices are falsehoods, even if it is considered a scienceGONZ9729CustomImage1541245.gif  

[And no, I am not anti-science, but I am pro-humor]

But I digress, IMO the passage not only advises the reader not to be deceived by those

who engage in those practices, but not to engage in the perpetuation of the deception for

either for profit or entertainment since it nothing more than preying on those who might believe.

Yet, there are many who read the Bible who construe the scriptures are representing that

these practices, such as necromancy, are actually possible which is why they are written

in the scriptures.  But hey, what can you do but give them the best advice you can if asked and

if they accept it they accept it, if they don't they don't.

But don't underestimate the ability of reasonable people to become entangled in these practices,

some years back there was one necromancer that had a hour show on National network in which

he would convey to members of the studio audience messges from love ones that they had lost.  

There are some that engage in these practices  who are extremely well versed in the art of deception, and 

they can effect not only their patrons not only financially but emotionally.

The difference being BAA realizes he's playing a video game but Justus thinks it's real. smile.png

For the Horde!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxcW20ZJOxE

What I perceive the message the passage is conveying to the reader is that those

practices are falsehoods, even if it is considered a scienceGONZ9729CustomImage1541245.gif  

[And no, I am not anti-science, but I am pro-humor]

But I digress, IMO the passage not only advises the reader not to be deceived by those

who engage in those practices, but not to engage in the perpetuation of the deception for

either for profit or entertainment since it nothing more than preying on those who might believe.

Yet, there are many who read the Bible who construe the scriptures are representing that

these practices, such as necromancy, are actually possible which is why they are written

in the scriptures.  But hey, what can you do but give them the best advice you can if asked and

if they accept it they accept it, if they don't they don't.

But don't underestimate the ability of reasonable people to become entangled in these practices,

some years back there was one necromancer that had a hour show on National network in which

he would convey to members of the studio audience messges from love ones that they had lost.  

There are some that engage in these practices  who are extremely well versed in the art of deception, and 

they can effect not only their patrons not only financially but emotionally.

Too bad the Bible didn't warn us against scam artists who would claim they received revelations from God.  Think of the millions of people who were deceived with that trick.