Goodbye Jesus

The Preacher Talked About Greed This Morning

Guest end3

Justus isn't a Christian; he said so.  He might be part of some other belief, and if he is, apparently the Holy Ghost is God there. Why he uses the Hebrew and Christian scriptures in any argument is beyond me, if only the Holy Ghost is his God.

Yeah, I get the dynamic, I'm just genuinely curious if anyone actually believes necromancy is an actual thing you can do. And if not, why do they believe in a god that is so concerned with something he should know no one can really do..?

Here is a Newsweek article, Talking to the Dead: The Science of Necromancy

What I perceive the message the passage is conveying to the reader is that those

practices are falsehoods, even if it is considered a scienceGONZ9729CustomImage1541245.gif  

[And no, I am not anti-science, but I am pro-humor]

But I digress, IMO the passage not only advises the reader not to be deceived by those

who engage in those practices, but not to engage in the perpetuation of the deception for

either for profit or entertainment since it nothing more than preying on those who might believe.

Yet, there are many who read the Bible who construe the scriptures are representing that

these practices, such as necromancy, are actually possible which is why they are written

in the scriptures.  But hey, what can you do but give them the best advice you can if asked and

if they accept it they accept it, if they don't they don't.

But don't underestimate the ability of reasonable people to become entangled in these practices,

some years back there was one necromancer that had a hour show on National network in which

he would convey to members of the studio audience messges from love ones that they had lost.  

There are some that engage in these practices  who are extremely well versed in the art of deception, and 

they can effect not only their patrons not only financially but emotionally.

<snip for bandwidth>

Well, yeah, con artists are real, and they will use any angle they can to take your money. They hold conventions every Sunday morning, but those ones have typically bought their own con, so they aren't that good...

But I think you are attributing more than you should to their (biblical story authors, and people who lived at the time) understanding of nature. These are, after all, people who believed the earth was flat, the sky was solid, the mad where prophets, and you could cure a plethora of illnesses (Or was it just leprosy? Not that it really matters...) by sprinkling some bird blood on someone during a ridiculous ritual... They believed in curses, and witchcraft, and all sorts of supernatural things. They believed worshiping gods would gain you favor and/or power.

I don't buy that their message was more rationally motivated than it appears, I don't buy that there was some god guiding anything written in the bible. I don't believe necromancy is possible, and I don't buy that the authors of the bible stories thought it was just a scam, or anything less than a legitimate practice. Superstition reigned for a very long time, because there was nothing else to alleviate the fear of the unknown experienced by early humans. Not to say there weren't skeptical people throughout history, they just probably wouldn't have had much, if anything, to do with holy texts... And they probably would have been murdered by those who did.

• Like 2