Goodbye Jesus

Original Sin

LogicalFallacy

A common topic that pops up when discussing the garden of Eden.

Here's W L Craigs take on Original Sin. Note that not all Christians share the same opinion on the subject of original sin, so if you are debating its important to find out hat they think or else you could be straw manning their position without knowing it.

My comments to WLC: Seriously, yo believe you'd act in exactly the same way as Adam? And your basis for determining this that does not include apriori beliefs?

Yeah, I don't find that compelling. The whole point of a proxy vote is that I would "appoint" the proxy. He acknowledges this and tries to brush it off, but that is absolutely true. It's not a proxy if I had no say in it. You cannot use the example of a proxy if you're going to leave out the "appointed" part. Plus, as you mentioned, one cannot assume that we all would have acted the same way. That's a bit ridiculous. There are SO many assumptions in this argument for it to be even remotely true.

• Like 1

The original sin was to choose symbolically the pursuit of knowledge over blind obedience to god. Obviously Adam and Eve didn't represent the choice most of mankind would have made or else religion would have disappeared a long time ago.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Without knowing the difference between good an evil, how could Adam and Eve know whether or not it was "good" to trust and obey god?

• Like 3

Without knowing the difference between good an evil, how could Adam and Eve know whether or not it was "good" to trust and obey god?

Clearly both Stranger and WLC have never thought of that issue.

They want to proclaim that they disobeyed god and that was reason for punishment, but fail to explain how Adam and eve could have possibly known that disobedience was bad. Furthermore they fail to account for Gods grand plan which dictated this would happen, meaning Adam and eve didn't have a choice - leading us to the free will question.

• Like 1

They didn't have a concept of what is good to begin with, therefore for them this question would have been completely out of the picture. For all it matters, they wouldn't have known if it was evil either. They only knew (were programmed to) that obeying God was right, and disobeying wrong respectively.

• Super Moderator

They didn't have a concept of what is good to begin with, therefore for them this question would have been completely out of the picture. For all it matters, they wouldn't have known if it was evil either. They only knew (were programmed to) that obeying God was right, and disobeying wrong respectively.

I suspect your answer is a lie.

• Like 2

Why is the troll still being allowed to falsly post as a believer?

• Like 1

Clearly both Stranger and WLC have never thought of that issue.

I pointed that out to Stranger a few times and he responded with the twisted nonsense that "good and evil" is not exactly the same as "right and wrong," and therefore they could know that it was wrong to disobey without understanding good and evil. The amout of hoops that religious people will jump through in order to try to prop up their preconceived notions is mind-boggling. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose god told Adam not to eat the fruit but without reason or threat.

Perhaps god just expected Adam to obey unquestioningly.

I think Fervent Xian men like to highlight Eve as the temptress which is not mentioned at all in this.

In fact Adam was punished for choosing Eve over god.

I have read ancient manuscripts, or translations thereof, which were omitted from the bible which go into much more detail on Adam and Eve and the banishment.

In the end it's all a crock of shite.

I suppose god told Adam not to eat the fruit but without reason or threat.

Perhaps god just expected Adam to obey unquestioningly.

I think Fervent Xian men like to highlight Eve as the temptress which is not mentioned at all in this.

In fact Adam was punished for choosing Eve over god.

I have read ancient manuscripts, or translations thereof, which were omitted from the bible which go into much more detail on Adam and Eve and the banishment.

In the end it's all a crock of shite.

That is correct.  God expected Adam to obey for no reason than He said so.

Well, Eve did give Adam the fruit to eat.  

There is truth in your statement that Adam was punished in choosing Eve.  

Stranger

Stranger

And there is far more truth to Ablemate's statement that "In the end its all a crock of shite"

• Like 2

And there is far more truth to Ablemate's statement that "In the end its all a crock of shite"

No, there is not.  

Stranger

• Super Moderator

No, there is not.  

Stranger

Well, I'm convinced.

• Like 1

No, there is not.  

Stranger

Yes there is.

Hmm, I could get to like this "arguing by assertion".  It's so much simpler than reason and logic.

• Like 1

Yes there is.

Hmm, I could get to like this "arguing by assertion".  It's so much simpler than reason and logic.

I know,  its easy.

Stranger

That is correct.  God expected Adam to obey for no reason than He said so.

Well, Eve did give Adam the fruit to eat.  

Stranger

Just curious about something here, Stranger.

If it is true that God was justified in punishing Adam and Eve to the extent he did... would he also have been justified in punishing them more?

I seem to recall you saying that you believe that their lives were his to do with as he pleased. (Please correct me if I recall wrong.)

Thanks,

BAA.

Just curious about something here, Stranger.

If it is true that God was justified in punishing Adam and Eve to the extent he did... would he also have been justified in punishing them more?

I seem to recall you saying that you believe that their lives were his to do with as he pleased. (Please correct me if I recall wrong.)

Thanks,

BAA.

Well, first I would say God is just in what He does.   His judgement will always be just.   When I say His judgement is always just, that implies there is no 'punishing them more'.

I don't recall saying it but I may well have said it, or something akin to it.   I don't want to go back and try and find it.  I will say God can do with their lives as He pleases, but what he pleases is always just and right. 

Stranger

Well, first I would say God is just in what He does.   His judgement will always be just.   When I say His judgement is always just, that implies there is no 'punishing them more'.

I don't recall saying it but I may well have said it, or something akin to it.   I don't want to go back and try and find it.  I will say God can do with their lives as He pleases, but what he pleases is always just and right. 

Stranger

Thanks Stranger.

Yes, I thought I'd grasped the gist of what you said.

Whatever God pleases to do by way of judgement and punishment is always just and right.  

So, if it had pleased God to have Adam and Eve punished... in any way He wanted ...that would, presumably, also be just and right?

Because whatever God chooses to do, defines what is just and right?

No matter what?

• Like 1

Thanks Stranger.

Yes, I thought I'd grasped the gist of what you said.

Whatever God pleases to do by way of judgement and punishment is always just and right.  

So, if it had pleased God to have Adam and Eve punished... in any way He wanted ...that would, presumably, also be just and right?

Because whatever God chooses to do, defines what is just and right?

No matter what?

You're quite welcome.

I would say, "in any way He wanted" is always governed by His righteous nature.   God never 'wants' outside what is just and right.  

God chooses to do, based on His righteous nature, and what He does is just and right.  

If God has done it, based on what I have said, then yes, no matter what.     

Stranger

• Super Moderator

As an aside, and not to interfere with BAA's line of questioning, can god act against his righteous nature?

As an aside, and not to interfere with BAA's line of questioning, can god act against his righteous nature?

Then you won't mind if I don't answer.

Stranger

No, there is not.  

Stranger

I think we should adopt Strangers method of argument - its far more efficient. Look at the volumes we type in comparison to him. Thusly:

Yes there is!

PS: BAA and TRP - it sounds like Stranger may be a proponent of divine command theory.... possibly without knowing it.

• Like 1

You're quite welcome.

I would say, "in any way He wanted" is always governed by His righteous nature.   God never 'wants' outside what is just and right.  

God chooses to do, based on His righteous nature, and what He does is just and right.  

If God has done it, based on what I have said, then yes, no matter what.     

Stranger

Thank you.

So, if God does something, no matter what it is, whatever he does is righteous, just and right?

And if he had chosen to punish Adam and Eve in other ways, any of these would have been equally righteous, just and right as the way scripture tells us that he did punish them?

No matter what these other ways are?

• Super Moderator

Then you won't mind if I don't answer.

Stranger

No.  I didn't expect you'd be able to.

• Like 1