Goodbye Jesus

The Penalty For Blaphemy

ricky18

Yes, Zoroastrianism have a lot in common with Christianity. I haven't read your links yet, but will later today.

Anyway, of course Moses will be a compilation of different mythological heroes. But in the particular story of the golden calf, I really like the idea that is a link to the change of the age of Taurus to age of Aries. And most likely there were stories of fightint the old religion of the bull, to prepare for the new religion of Aries, and one (or maybe others) got included into the OT one way or the other.

Taurus, Venus, Morningstar, Lucifer, that's a great chain of connections. Maybe that symbolism is from the change of the ages too? :shrug:

Pisces is fish, that's correct. I thought you knew that connection already. Baptising, Jesus picks fishermen, Jesus doing the miracle of bread and fish, "go be fishers of men", and the symbols that you see on the cars, it all comes from the link to the astrological age of Pisces at the time of Jesus.

And I don't think OT was written that long ago either. And yes, the summerians invented the writing and math too. Pi=3 and much more. The story about Abram (Abraham) leaving Ur is how the semitic tribes came from the old Sumerian/Babylonian culture. The Noah story came from there and the Adam/Eve and Creation story probably came from there, since they've found pictures of man, woman, tree, snake and woman holding a fruit.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amanda

• Ouroboros

• Asimov

• julian

Top Posters In This Topic

The writings of Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (The Secrect Doctrine) also has information regarding astronomy. Pretty interesting...

If someone does something wrong, you don't think they're missing something that would otherwise cause them to act more appropriately?
Possibly, but it is definitely an assumption that everyone must necessarily be missing something in this situation.

Yep... you're right. The anger came much earlier, like when he called them on their hippocracy and turned over tables and such in their temples... because of their arrogant ways.
Mehh... those were two totally unrelated occurences, and it didn't seem like those were the people he forgave, if for no other reason than that he beat their asses, thereby accomplishing the goal of assuaging his own anger. For the most part, it doesn't seem that Jesus ever really got angry about anything, which might have caused his outburst at the temple.

Well, as long as you have let go of animosity and resentment, you've done quite well.
Oh, there's resentment. Receeding, and mostly aimed inward, but it's there, and animosity could still develop under the right circumstances. At some point, something will come to pass that will completely eradicate it (for instance, a chance to experience a similar situation with a different course of action), but in the mean time, I am not bothered by what remains.

:)Asimov, so you work in a gym? I see... you're going to win one way or the other, right? :wink:

Haha...yea. New update, I got a job at a gym. I think it's pretty good getting a job 5 days after moving to a new city, eh?

Asimov, "his daddy" was inside of him, part of himself. The sacrifice is about adhering to principles that are worth standing up for no matter what. This story is just saying that true internal peace can come at a great price. Is it better to stand up and live, or to live life on our knees to self elitist men? :shrug:

And to me, adhering to principles of pacifism and altruism is not worth standing up for. They're irrational ethical ideas.

Asimov, my dear friend, have you read the story... or did you just hear it from the preacher like the other Christians do? At least you were able to see through the preacher. :wink:

What....The Passion isn't the story?? My bad.... ;)

Forgiveness and holding someone accountable and responsible are two different things!

Hmmm, I can agree with that, but I don't think it's necessary in all cases. That's my beef with it.

Me too. However, Nelson Mandela was facing the death penalty, and he chose NOT to fight then. He didn't even push his own life or freedom, but used his visibility for his cause. Some people are like that. Most call them heroes.

He was facing it, but he didn't die for it. I still think there is a huge difference between someone like Nelson and someone like Jesus.

You don't think you can better help someone by knowing what their mindset is? Compassion, NOT enabling, is not a virtue? Please explain both.

I have no real desire to "help someone" from their mindset. Their mindsets are usually wrong anyways, so giving them a NEW mindset is helping them :)

Uhm-hummm... not only are you a likeable guy... but you work out regularly at the gym. :phew:

Of course values and rational self interest are of great importance. What I'm saying is that if you and I disagree on the interpretation of this story, is insignificance and not of importance. This is NOT about an agreement of the most powerful countries in the world and the use of nuclear force. The way you think, the way I think... so what? It's certainly NOT worth getting upset about, just interesting to debate to a certain degree. :wicked:

I guess you haven't seen my pictures, either? :HaHa:

It is interesting to debate, and I rarely ever get upset. I'm passionate about the way I think, Amanda. There's a difference, I think, between religious zealotry and adherence to Reason and Individuality.

Just my 2 cents here...

Well, essentially, as some of you here probably already know, I have been raped when I was 10. I didn't forgive the bastard who did that. And I don't feel the need to forgive him, either. Why should I feel that need? :o

I'm studying to become a psychologist, by the way. Nowhere in my books, not even in the ones specifically talking about rape, it is said that "forgiveness" is the key or even A key for the rehabilitation of the victim. Helping the victim with serious self-esteem issues is key, helping the victim overcoming the shock and guilt trips is another key, but "forgiveness" shows nowhere in the books I'm studying. It is not considered an important part of the rehabilitation process. The point is the relationship that the victim has with herself, the self-image she has consequently to the raping. The relationship between the victim and the rapist, or between the victim and her mental picture of the rapist, isn't considered important at all. Modern psychology does not deny people the freedom to hate and feel anger: only if this anger makes it difficult or impossible to lead a satisfying life, it should be addressed. But there's nothing about forgiving or considering anger as wrong per se.

And Mithraism or Mythra worship was prevalent in Tarsus (Toro = Bull, Mythra fought a bull).

There is only one Mythra. And ahem.. that would be moi.

Mithra was Zoroastrian. Mithras was after the Romans appropriated the dude.

Here is a pretty good article about Mithraism and Christianity.

Oops. I discovered Mythra is just another spelling of Mithra. They're the same.

Here is a pretty good article about Mithraism and Christianity.

Mythra, the article is very interesting! I saw a lot of similarities to the OT too! I'm curious to know why Mythraism was called a Mystery Religion? :thanks:

Mabye because it is a mystery why it is called a mystery religion? :)

Heya Amanda.

The term "mysteries" refers to a tradition in pagan religions, where the teachings could be taken on several different levels. (Much like the difference between a literal interpretation of the bible, and gleaning a deeper meaning from it, like you and Open-Minded do.

So, anyway, there were the Outer Mysteries of the pagan religions. The outer mysteries were known to everyone, and participation was open to all.

Then, within the mystery religions there was also an esoteric, inner mysteries dimension. These teachings were secret, considered sacred, and open only to those who went through special initiation rites. Some were so secret that anyone who divulged the inner mysteries was subject to death.

Much of Mithraism was a mystery religion. That's one reason why we have to rely on iconography to study this religion. There is no written text, like we have with the bible.

Some think that when Paul referred to the "mysteries" of the gospel, he was speaking in such terms.

Heya Amanda.

The term "mysteries" refers to a tradition in pagan religions, where the teachings could be taken on several different levels. (Much like the difference between a literal interpretation of the bible, and gleaning a deeper meaning from it, like you and Open-Minded do.

So, anyway, there were the Outer Mysteries of the pagan religions. The outer mysteries were known to everyone, and participation was open to all.

Then, within the mystery religions there was also an esoteric, inner mysteries dimension. These teachings were secret, considered sacred, and open only to those who went through special initiation rites. Some were so secret that anyone who divulged the inner mysteries was subject to death.

Wow, just like Scientology!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just like Scientology!!!!

:)Skeptic of Bible, I didn't know there were mysteries in Scientology! I have seen many of their videos from my local library... and I'm pretty impressed with their ideology. It seems as if it has nothing to do with the metaphysical! It seemed to me they are quite humanistic. Some of their techniques are very effective, IMO. I know that you are much more detailed than I, so may I ask what you find mysterious? :huh: