Goodbye Jesus

V For Vendetta

AtheistMommy

Back to the movie--c'mon folks, it was just a movie. Some of us found it inspiring, others boring.

Can't you be inspired by "just a movie", or just a book or any art?

I liked it, but I understand Zoe's points about it being heavy-handed.

Heavy-handed, sort of, but he had to choose. She said herself that she was afraid all the time and she wished she didn't have to be afraid any more. It could be argued that she had asked to be deprogrammed and in the end, she was glad he did. His only alternative was to throw her back to the wolves with no resources to sustain herself.

The internet is the medium of change in today's world.

You're probably right, but it is vulnerable.

I'd never follow in the footsteps of V and commit acts of violence.

Never...under any circumstances, V or not?

It's not hyperbole to say that I don't fear for my own (slowly shrinking) freedom, I fear for its loss by our grandchildren.

Two or our founders (Franklin and Paine) predicted our eventual demise and loss of freedom to despotism because of the corruption of the people. They didn't specify the form that corruption would take, but if they had known how materially successful we'd become, I suspect they would have deduced it would be apathy and indifference. The only possible saviors I see on the horizon could well be the Muslim fanatics when they finally hit us hard enough to wake us out of our catatonic funk.

Lay it to rest

Ironic you should say that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AtheistMommy

• Fweethawt

• woodsmoke

• The Paineful Truth

Just watched V again last night. I'd have to say that if there's any message there, it's that you have to be a monster if you want to fight monsters. V was little better morally than the people he sought to kill.

But again, it wasn't a message that I watched it for. If I want a message, I can always go scrounge up a pamphlet from somewhere. Or better yet, find a book about it that puts the arguments forward in depth, so I can evaluate the message properly.

I liked angel too and firefly...did you see firefly? it rocked too.

Yeah right now i'm having a bit of a buffy fest...i'm gearing up for school to start and i kindof have the end of summer doldrums so i'm watching it hardcore...season 4 (with adam and the initiative...also the season when they first start trying to integrate spike into the scooby gang...*drool*)

oh and the quote was faith. (but i could see buffy, cordy or anya saying those lines, or even spike.)

who was your favorite character (s)? which character did you most identify with?

oh and on angel...my god wesley got tough and badass by the end. YUMMY. i liked him with the darker edges.

I did see Firefly. I own Serenity, and as soon as I'm once again gainfully (Ha!) employed I'm going to pick up the series.

I haven't really watched enough to say with any amount of accuracy which of the characters I liked most, but I can say that even when I do see them all I don't see any practical chance of Willow and Zander declining any in awesometude. :P Spike, of course, is nothing but Pure Awesome on a Big Freakin' Stick. Given the chance, I might do him, and I'm about as hetero as they come. What little I've seen of Faith has left a rather good impression, too. (it also helps that she's played by Eliza Dushku. Yum. :wicked: )

You call be everything from a right winger looking for the second coming to a left-wingnut and accuse me of conspiracy theory and kitchen sinkism. All I hear is disdain while screaming over and over that you don't give a shit.

You call us selfish and morally bankrupt, we call you judgmental and egotistical. Tit for tat.

(And to defeat my own argument: "And that way, the whole world will be blind and toothless!")

What's really irrational is that I'm the one you see as a threat. Like I could reach through the computer and make you do something against your will, even if I wanted to.

What's really funny is that this works both ways. We're no more a danger to your way of life than you are to ours.

As it turns out, I do understand you.

"Like a fish needs a bicycle!" (the actual context of that quote couldn't be further removed from the current discussion, but it's still applicable)

If you really understood it, you'd realize you're wasting your time trying to change her mind.

I haven't said my 2cents yet, so here goes.

I didn't hate V, but I didn't completely loved it either. It's a so-and-so movie IMO.

The movie Equilibrium had a similar message, but I liked it much more. It has a slightly better plot and twist ending. Kind of silly with its Gun Kata, but other than that, pretty interesting.

Btw, I like Buffy. :)

And Firefly was really cool, both series and movie.

av_vendetta05.jpg The people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of the people.

Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici—By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

(Damn sumbich is just way too serious.)