Goodbye Jesus

Question For The Prairie Muffins

roknrolr

For those of you that don't know what a Prairie Muffin is, read this...http://buriedtreasurebooks.com/PrairieMuffinManifesto.php

What should a proper Prairie Muffin do, if God should see fit to take her Prairie Dawg to heaven, leaving no life insurance for her and her Mini Muffins (should God have seen fit to bless her with many of them) to live off of? A proper Prairie Muffin could not go out and get a job because it would interefere with her homekeeping duties, so does she go find herself a new Prairie Dawg? But what self-respecting Prairie Dawg would take in a Prairie Muffin with so many Mini Muffins that are not his? Maybe you pray for God to fill the refrigerator as He sees fit, in all His merciful glory? Please help me answer this question, as it has eluded me. Thank you.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joythruChrist

• Open_Minded

• white_raven23

• NotBlinded

:blink::unsure:

Um...huh??? :shrug:

If this is supposed to be a joke, I don't get it.

Judging from the few little house on the prarie shows I'v watched they either find a man, make stuff to sell on their porch, or get a job. Or if one of their ten kids is old enough they get jobs.

There probally are very few prairie muffins here I find it funny you'd post the topic that way.

When I first seen it I thought it was a new word for ex-christians, I thought damn first were piranas, then lions, now prairie muffins :lmao:

If you want to ask "prairie muffins" something, go to a "prairie muffin" forum. We are not prairie muffins. Most of the women here are so far removed from that kind of mentality, we really cannot answer that question. And attempting, even briefly to put ourselves in prairie muffin shoes would likely be highly hazardous to anyone Real Life in the vicinity of an Ex-C woman making the attempt for the sake of answering your post.

:clap: Well said, White Raven.

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a joke post, but if it isn't, the OP should note that they aren't going to find very many mild-mannered and meek women here. We do what we want to, we don't have to ask anyone for permission.

Yeah. No Prairie Muffins here... the women on Ex-C have spines.

And weaponry! (hefts freshly-whetted shortsword and smiles enigmatically) :wicked:

I don't think that the question was intended to make you all out to be 'meek women.' I think it was intended for the Christians (a.k.a. 'Prairie Muffins.')

As a side note, considering the OP is my best friend IRL, I would appreciate it if you were not so hostile towards her from now on. Thanks.

I understood the topic to be in jest against those types of women. But I can also see how, at first glance, it could come across as a fundy poke at ExC'ers.

As a side note, considering the OP is my best friend IRL, I would appreciate it if you were not so hostile towards her from now on. Thanks.

JP, which post was hostile? Nothing in this thread meets what I consider to be the definition of hostility.

I re-read every single response. I see no hostility at all, just matter-of-fact honesty...plus a little humor.

And if your best friend felt we were being hostile, then she has both ability and right to call us on it and we can work it out. It's cool.

It's nice of you to want to protect your friend, but I have to ask JP.....would you have felt the same need to protect your friend if she were another guy? Would what WE said have still come across as "hostile" to you? If so...awesome. More power to you.

I've seen that website before; I think it was referenced on the "Fundies say the darndest things" website (fstdt.com). Anyway, I remain flummoxed by why anyone would willingly apply such a silly and offensive label to themselves. To me, "prairie muffin" sounds to be the exact same substance as "cow pie," -- i.e., something you want to avoid stepping in while crossing the meadow -- only less substantial.

This topic's making me hungry. Think I'll go eat a muffin.

-Seth

Um. Wow.

Man, reading this made me angry. What a pathetic and deluded way to view yourself. I swear, women are some of their own worst oppressors. What a great way to set yourself up for hell like you can't even imagine. As the OP pointed out, what if your *shudder* "Prarie Dawg" is killed or turns into a Hound Dawg running off with a hottie who's not afraid to wear makeup, short skirts, and challenge his authority with a good spanking while leaving you and your "Mini Muffins" to go stale?

I guess the OP's answer is that they never see it coming until they realize the light at the end of the tunnel is the frieght train of reality. Then Prarie Muffin has to hang up her pretty ideals along with her apron and and go get a minimum wage job as a waitress to feed her kids while living in vain hope for another guy looking at the discount baked goods rack.

Dammit, now I'm hungry and craving muffins!

Blueberry.

Fresh out of the oven.

Smell filling the whole house....

Time to go buy a Jiffy box!! :woohoo:

Hi. I am not a prairie muffin, but I agree with much of what is stated on their manifesto. I do differ a bit on at least one point however.

For instance, point #3 on the manifesto would seem to indicate that they do not use birth control. I personally see nothing Biblically wrong with a non-abortifacient birth control method used in a marriage relationship. And I'm pretty sure that not all prairie muffins, or Christian women for that matter, have oodles of children.

Point #33 would explain to you how a prairie muffin would handle it if her prairie dog were taken away. There is no cut-and-dried answer for anyone who loses someone. None of us know the future, so none of us know exactly what we'd do. This is why we hold on to our Saviour's hand and let Him lead us.

Point #42 is probably why you'll not likely ever hear from a prairie muffin here. And I also realize my comments here are possibly fruitless, but I just thought it might be interesting to respond.

Most of the "manifesto" seems to be quite Biblically based and I would tend to agree. And I don't know about prairie muffins specifically, but many Christian women work outside the home.

I'm not here to cause any problems, but I do think it is in error to assume that Christian women do not have spines. If this was true, I probably wouldn't be here would I? :scratch: It seems to me that it takes a lot more backbone to exercise self-control in any given situation than to stand up and brandish your weapon in someone's face. And the "manifesto" seems to be written under the implied idea that the prairie dog is also following scripture as well and is submitting to his wife and loving her as Christ loved the church. Which means seeing to her needs above his own and is in fact a huge responsibility for a man.

I understand that there are people out there who profess to be Christians that are in fact hostile toward those who would say we are all flakes. I personally have no such need. I know that perhaps many of you will say I'm full of something, and you may even make fun of me. If you feel the need, that's ok. It doesn't bother me, and I'm sure that any prairie muffin probably feels the same way. As it states in their manifesto: "The letter "P" at the beginning of their names should be the only similarity between Prairie Mufffins and Pharisees. Never should the Prairie Muffin haughtily pray, "Thank God I am not like that...(fill in the blank)." Rather, she should always say, "There, but for the grace of God, go I.""

None of us are perfect; all of us are sinners saved by His grace alone. And we pray for you.

It seems to me that it takes a lot more backbone to exercise self-control in any given situation than to stand up and brandish your weapon in someone's face.

Too bad YHWH didn't feel that way.

It seems to me that it takes a lot more backbone to exercise self-control in any given situation than to stand up and brandish your weapon in someone's face.

Too bad YHWH didn't feel that way.

Excellent point. The asshole bible god just loves to murder people or order his lackies to do it for him. Self restraint...not the bible god or very damn little of it.

I'm not here to cause any problems... <snip>

Why exactly are you here?

<snip> ...but I do think it is in error to assume that Christian women do not have spines.

I suppose it does take a certain sort of courage to believe wholeheartedly in a religion that's spent the last few millenia oppressing one's own gender.

If this was true, I probably wouldn't be here would I? ...<snip>

Poking a stick into a hornet's nest isn't a sign of a lack of spine. It's a sign of a lack of brains.

<snip> Which means seeing to her needs above his own and is in fact a huge responsibility for a man. <snip>

I get awfully weary of seeing Xians attempt to explain away the sexism in the Bible, or pretend it's anything other than what it is.

Putting one gender in charge of the other isn't an equal relationship no matter how you cut it. It's sexist, in favor of men. No amount of convoluted apologetics will change that.

And we pray for you.

Why did you mention this in particular?

None of us are perfect; all of us are sinners saved by His grace alone. And we pray for you.

:Hmm:

Uh-Huh. Yeah right.

How long have you known about this website? How long have you known that people who once totally embraced religion, would after years of research, willfully and knowingly leave it? Or are you mentally tossing us in with those who have "never known god" because you believe that ther is no way anyone could truly experience god and turn away....so we must not have been "true christians" the first time around? I see you joined our band yesterday. I guess that's one way to make Thanksgiving memorable. :twitch:

And don't lie about praying for us, you don't think we know better? Many of us USED TO BE CHRISTIANS!!! Don't you think we would find it just a bit insulting when you tell us one of the lies we used to tell other people because we all knew it sounded "nice" and "christian"? Oh please. You actually think generically making wishes for the lives of a bunch of people you don't even know, much less think of the same way you do the people in your real life counts as prayer?

Get real.

I've been flipping a coin for you. :mellow:

Point #33 would explain to you how a prairie muffin would handle it if her prairie dog were taken away. There is no cut-and-dried answer for anyone who loses someone. None of us know the future, so none of us know exactly what we'd do. This is why we hold on to our Saviour's hand and let Him lead us.

See, that's the thing that ends up getting a lot of Muffins hamstringed. They put all their faith in others instead of themselves. I've seen a lot of Muffin types end up with Dawgs who bite and chew on them, or lose them simply because the Dawg got bored of "living through the Saviour" and decided to take off. The divorce rate these days is astronomical because nobody HAS to stick with a spouse or a marriage they don't want. You might find one or two out there who do have husbands that are kind and fully willing to care for them and their brood, but not many.

I'm not saying every Christian woman out there is spineless or stupid or a clueless SAHM, because I know that's not true. But women who place all their eggs in the muffin basket are bound to get them all broken. This isn't a world that supports Prairie Muffins. Trusting in a god to give you everything you need to be a Prarie Muffin is a great way to end up on the wrong side of the "Saviours" backhand across the face. The abused, broken, and stale muffins are left with nothing. No life skills, no job skills, no emotional support, no money, and have to work doubly hard to stand on their own two feet.

We are not sinners. We're saved by the grace of humanity alone, which is far more real than trying to satisfy a god who really has no life skills either.

I didn't really mean to get everyone riled up :eek: I posted this in the Lion's Den intending to get an answer from the Christians. I honestly wanted to know how, by the strict laws of the Bible that they follow, one of these women that truly believe that they are supposed to do nothing more with their lives than cook, clean and raise children are supposed to react if their only source of income is taken away. According to the manifesto, the woman is not supposed to work outside of the home because it will take away from her homekeeping duties, so that means that even if their husbands leave them or die, they are not supposed to go get a job, lest their housework suffer, right? I do not personally believe in this crap, and I don't think that any of the Ex-C women fall under that category either, so I apologize if I offended anyone, I didn't do it intentionally.

P.S. Thanks for sticking up for me JP, but I can handle myself, and I don't think anyone was being particularly rude, especially given what they must have been really thinking when they actually posted! :HaHa:

I didn't really mean to get everyone riled up :eek:

Heh... things just get... um, riley in the Lion's Den. It's the nature of the beast, so to speak. I certainly wasn't offended by your questions. :)

Welcome to the forum, btw. Always good to see some new blood here. :woohoo:

Welcome to the forum, btw. Always good to see some new blood here. :woohoo:

Thanks, Gwenmead.

For the person who asked why I was here...

I didn't really mean to get everyone riled up :eek: I posted this in the Lion's Den intending to get an answer from the Christians.

...that's why. And I didn't come in to stir up trouble. Really. I've read a few boards in this forum and it seems like trouble was here way before I showed up. :shrug:

I happened on this site while researching people leaving Christianity. I recently met someone online who emailed me and told me she had left. This was a new concept to me, so I started reading your boards. Simple as that.

I'm not here to convert any of you. I'm not stupid enough to think I could. I am not at all like the stereotypes I've been reading about in here. I wear makeup and my standard clothing is blue jeans. Though occasionally I do wear a long denim skirt. I do not wear my hair up in a bun, and :eek: I even color it!! I do try to dress modestly though, so I guess that makes me a freak. And my husband cooks as well as I do, and he often serves me my coffee and does many things for me. He acts in no way superior to me because he believes the scripture that I am his partner, not his subordinate. He treats me with honor. And I love and respect him.

What I can't understand is why I've been roasted already, and I just got here. Did I do something to any of you, or is it just that I believe in God? I'm not sure why my belief should bother all of you so. I'm not pushing it on you; I was just answering roknrolr to the best of my ability, which probably wasn't sufficient since I'm not actually a prairie muffin.

I don't agree that my "religion" (and I don't call it religion) is suppressive to females. Jesus came at a time that culture was very suppressive to females and He lifted them up to an equal level with men. He treated them with honor; even the women who were societal outcasts.

Like I said, I'm not here to convert anyone, and if you'd like me to leave that's ok. I'm sure many if not most of you have had it with legalistic Pharisees; so have I. That's not what I'm about.

Jen

And don't lie about praying for us, you don't think we know better? Many of us USED TO BE CHRISTIANS!!! Don't you think we would find it just a bit insulting when you tell us one of the lies we used to tell other people because we all knew it sounded "nice" and "christian"? Oh please. You actually think generically making wishes for the lives of a bunch of people you don't even know, much less think of the same way you do the people in your real life counts as prayer?

Get real.

I've been flipping a coin for you. :mellow:

I really did mean it when I said I would pray for you. I absolutely didn't say it because I thought it sounded "nice" and "Christian". I've been thinking about this forum and praying for all of you since I found it yesterday... I really do mean that. Don't you think after reading some of the boards in here that I knew there would be responses like this? Why would I say it, knowing that, if I didn't mean it?

And I continue to do so, but I won't tell you that again, because I know it offends you and that is not my intention.