Goodbye Jesus

What Would Make You Become A Christian Again?

Antlerman

I asked this question as an aside in a topic started by TexasFreethinker to Christians, What would make you a non-believer?. It seems a question that should be its own topic to stand in stark contrast to the apparent lack of willingness to look at that question from the believer's position. I had responded saying,

"For me it would be simple, God would come and totally expose all the preachers and priests as frauds and tell all the free thinkers we were on track to reject all of that crap, and that [he] respects humans with intellectual integrity. Finally, a god with reason! (that'd be a start)
:grin:

Other's responded with open and interesting responses of their own to the question. I did not wish to hijack that thread with this question, and I'm thinking these existing as two separate threads running simultaneously might be very telling as to the believer's versus the non-believer's comfort level to look at questions of being convinced to change their minds about their beliefs.

So what would persuade you to become a Christian again?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Robbobrob

• RecoveXM

• chefranden

Braindeath. :fdevil:

Seriously, my gray matter would need to be totally deactivated or destroyed for me to forget about all the stinking shit that them jebus cultists call "truth".

Well.. so there is. I seemed to have missed that.

My initial thought was "nothing." Then I read your op AM and though, yeah, that's a pretty good start. But the truth is, after being burned so badly in the past, I'm just really not a joiner anymore. So I think I would even stiffen at the suggestion of joining even if the charter was tempting.

Nothing, my brain simply would not/will not allow it. However, I do like your quote in the OP, but that would be more of a god belief again...not necessarily bringing one back to the Christianity.

If God treated us with the respect he has been demanding from us. And that the Love he has is not conditional on anything, and that once we are done playing here on Earth, we all will be welcomed home (from whence we came before we were born).

And that anytime anyone claimed that God smited or told people to smite others, it was just delusional looneys hearing voices in their head.

That would be a start.

I asked this question as an aside in a topic started by

If jesuschrist appeared to me and said "come my child" here is reason to follow me and my priests. Like that's fuckin going to happen!

nothing would make me a christian again. That theology no longer makes sense to me and no longer seems moral or ethical either.

However, real evidence of a conscious energy behind the universe might cause me to become a theist again.

Pay me a million fuckin dollars and I'll become one again.

:wacko:

Me too. There's nothing that says you'd have to remain one. :wicked:

Take me to the intelligent minds please!

And I'm so glad to find yours here again! Or maybe you've been posting lately and I've missed it. In any event, I'm pleased to see that stylish av once more. :grin:

I don't think there is anything that would make me a christian again.

Even god turning up and saying it's for my own good would make me say to him "Fuck off".

Spatz

Dunno?

Cross embossed on the cheap plastic urn my ashes are in?

kFL

Besides a frontal lobe lobotomy....

maybe complete amnesia and immediate indoctrination afterwards.

or god could come down in an event of biblical proportions and convince me.

Seriously, I would be more likely to pick up a theistic belief outside of christianity than to actually join that particular religion back up. Even if I could be convinced that there is a diety or creator or whatever, I am not sure that I would attribute that diety to christianity. With the exception of Islam which is still the most oppressive major religion currently; Christianity seems bent on un-enlightening the world. I recently read that in the 1980's, 40% of the average citizenship in the USA believed in a literal creation as described in the Bible. Over less than 20 years that number rose to 55%. On the other hand, only 5% of scientists and engineers believe in a literal creation. Thanks to the ressurgance of fundy christianity as packaged on TBN and in mega purpose driven churches; the US population is dumbing down more and more. How could I align myself with stupidity and willful ignorance. Take me to the intelligent minds please!

Sister M! What you said! It's glorious to see you around here again! Glory! :woohoo:

Dunno?

Cross embossed on the cheap plastic urn my ashes are in?

kFL

:lmao:

Honestly, nothing would.

From my understanding anything supernatural is not of nature and can not be explained by empirical, testable means. This is a schism that can not be bridged or reconciled. Once you do, you've only described a phenomenon of nature and not the supernatural. Christians claim that their knowledge of God is grounded in their understanding that God, at its base, can not be explained or understood. This gives me ample reason to call in doubt the credibility of the experiences of Paul or whoever in the Bible testifying about God. Even if I had a likewise personal revelation like Paul or anyone of my contemporaries about God today, I would not immediately posit a supernatural explanation - even if, I had exhausted all available naturalistic explanations.

Christianity is anchored in ignorance. They boast that this ignorance is a value and call it faith.

I will have none of that.

• 5 months later...

Me too. There's nothing that says you'd have to remain one. :wicked:

With all that dough, we'll be bound to back slide back to non-belief anyway right? Actually not back slide, forward slide. Becoming a Christian is backsliding towards ignorance.

First, Yahweh would have to prove his existence to me. Second, Yahweh would have to prove to me that prayer actually works and give me a logical explanation as to why some people's prayers are never answered, even if they're good believers. Third, Yahweh would have to prove to me that the doctrine of hell and all the evil immoral acts that he committed throughout the bible were all lies that were added in by control-freak humans and that he actually is all-loving, after all. Fourth, God would have to be tolerant and accepting of people who are just being true to themselves to prove that he is actually all-loving. Six, God would have to beat iron chariots with his powers. Seven, he'd have to explain to me why he didn't just do this from the fucking start.

All I'd require is that God take 5 minutes out of his busy schedule to appear before me. Prove that he's real, and that I've been wrong all these years... and explain to me WHY I ought to follow him. Just his omnipotent existence wouldn't be enough. I won't follow him if he's gonna act like a dick and send people to hell for no good reason. But maybe he could explain to me exactly where I'm mistaken on this whole hell doctrine.

Oh, and he'd need to convince me that quite a few things written in the bible about him just ain't true. I just wouldn't worship a god who kills babies. Among other things.

Doesn't seem like much to ask of an all-powerful, infinite being.

That's what I get for not reading the last post. Looks like NG and I have pretty similar requirements for Gawd.

Get rid of the religion and everything connected to it, all religion. When I see god personally tell us the way it is, then I'll believe in god again but no way would I ever rejoin the church.

"What Would Make You Become A Christian Again?"

Nothing. I may become a theist again, but never a Christian, at least not with any resemblance to orthodoxy. If Jesus appeared to me and said all of Christendom and the bible were wrong about him, then I'd be willing t talk.

If I wake up tomorrow in my 20yearold body, but still have my 58 year old mind I'll go back to preaching.

Edit: Did ya read that God? You can do it. You do want me to be saved, right? Shit, God probably only reads Hebrew.

Guest TheTruthHurts

If all the xtians who've supported Bush and his war were to burst into flames or be struck by lightning.