Goodbye Jesus

The Ghosts We Think We See

Ouroboros

I agree here too. But then, why don't they? Putting aside our professional experience, I have never heard an EVP on my voicemail, or on any episode of Myth Busters I've taped (sorry Gramps, I just had to throw that in there! :) ) And I would also think that if an intelligence is behind EVP's they would have something more profound to say than "Get out of here!" or "Help me". Just like proofs for the existence of a creator, I feel that natural explanations are a much simpler and elegant cause behind these things.

And with that attitude why would they want to leave you any voicemail??? :shrug:

:HaHa:

mwc

Your right! I bet it is because I deny their existance, so they are shunning me! Just like with Yahweh and jeebus! Maybe I should choose to believe in them and then they'll invite me to their recording sessions!

:scratch:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• Grandpa Harley

• Jun

• Kelli

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I should choose to believe in them and then they'll invite me to their recording sessions!

Ha ha ha! :HaHa:

Whatever. I have recorded and witnessed very clear EVP's. They do exist, and thus far no one has been able to prove one way or the other how they are created, though some of the clear responses to questions and situations would suggest that the source of at least some EVP's have intelligence of some sort behind them.

mCAT, is it possible for you to post some clips of EVP's you have recorded? It would be great if you could provide as much detail into the recording chain used too, such as mic/recorder used and sample/bit depths. I know bandwidth is always a problem, but if possible post only .wav's (that is, only if the recording was originaly done to a .wav). If the clips are short file size shouldn't be a problem.

There is a park close to my house that has a memorial detailing how, in 1850 something, an encampment of Native Americans were slaughtered by some calvery division or something. Would you think this would be a good place to try and record my own EVP's? Do they have to be in "haunted" locations? The theatre I work for also had a director die on stage one night, and his body wasn't found till the next morning. This would be another location I would like to try. I do not know of any "officially haunted" places near me to try.

I do not have any way of posting my findings, but if someone will host them, I'll do it. I will detail everything I use and do as well, complete with pictures. I have an assistant that works with me that is all gung ho about trying out this experiment, and I think it would be a great excercise to teach him critical recording and listening. It won't be the uber expensive rig I outlined above, that would only be if I had a research grant. :wicked: My porta rig is not much different than my studio rig though. I'd be capturing full frequency audio at the 24/bit/96kHz.

Bump.

I just want to hear some EVP's, and to find out if there are any flaws in my plan to record my own. I have some time off around the solstice, I was planning to do this around then.

mCAT, in case you feel I may be mocking you, I am not. If you have recorded EVP's, I really would love to hear them. Although I do feel that EVP's are not "supernatural", I really do have a desire to try this myself. I've been thinking the past few days, I will also use the methods recomended by the AAEVP website and compare anything I may find to my super-fidelity recording in order to rule out electronic noise/distortion. If EVP's are real, they should appear on both the low-fi and hi-fi recordings. If they appear on only the low-fi, it would be reasonable to assume it is noise induced.

Bump.

I just want to hear some EVP's, and to find out if there are any flaws in my plan to record my own. I have some time off around the solstice, I was planning to do this around then.

mCAT, in case you feel I may be mocking you, I am not. If you have recorded EVP's, I really would love to hear them. Although I do feel that EVP's are not "supernatural", I really do have a desire to try this myself. I've been thinking the past few days, I will also use the methods recomended by the AAEVP website and compare anything I may find to my super-fidelity recording in order to rule out electronic noise/distortion. If EVP's are real, they should appear on both the low-fi and hi-fi recordings. If they appear on only the low-fi, it would be reasonable to assume it is noise induced.

One person told me that he liked to make his recordings near airports. He took his recorder, which looked like a regular, push button style, cassette recorder. He did not use a microphone but just pushed the record button and waited until the tape finished. What he heard was claimed to be from his mother that had passed away about a year earlier.

Wouldn't the experiment need to be done in a radio wave free room?

Hard thing to do even in a lab in the 21st Century

When I was a kid, I built my own little thingamajing based ona 555 circuit. It was a basic frequency generator that I connected to a speaker. But it didn't work as it was supposed to. I discovered that if I touched or just had my finger close to one of the cables it would work. I expanded my little design with a small antenna, and I got it to be sensitive enough that it would buzz whenever I came withint 5-6 feet from it.

Months or years later I read in one of the BYO magazines for electronics where they built a similar contraption. They explained that it was some effect of your body working as an amplifier of the magentic fields you basically have in every house today. There's so many cables and currents that we are living receivers of a 50-60 Hz (depending on continent) magnetic resonance field.

Could EVP be explained by some similar effects? Maybe the person doing the recording is acting as a antenna/receiver of some kind? (Not suggesting supernatural "receiever" but more ordinary for radio/FM/AM or something)

Could EVP be explained by some similar effects? Maybe the person doing the recording is acting as a antenna/receiver of some kind? (Not suggesting supernatural "receiever" but more ordinary for radio/FM/AM or something)

I have really no idea, but if it is not a noise or electronic encoding problem, that's what I'd suspect. My knowledge of recording technology amounts to how fluctuations in air pressure are encoded/decoded, and not really how it is made, or works "inside". I know a bit of that, but my training is mostly all in recording engineering, not in electrical engineering.

Regardless, I was thinking this weekend about how the EVP website tells you to use crappy consumer gear and "muck it up", and I was saying you must use super duper fidelity gear and not touch it, and neither method is truly "scientific". I should combine both methods. The super fidelity recording would be the control of the experiment, having all balanced, clean wiring, and top notch mic, pre amp, converter, etc. Then the "crappy" recorder (I plan to use a few, digi and microcassette) would be the variables in the experiment.

I, of course, will tell the "spirits" that I am doing this, so they don't actually leave a message on only one recorder! :)

Now, if EVPs are real in the sense that is a ghost or other intelligence, then I should get an EVP on all recorders at the exact same time stamp and they should all be understandable to be the same message. If they appear only on one cheap recorder, than it would be most likely noise/distortion in that recorder. If it hapens to only the Hi-Fi and none of the others, than I would be at a loss to explain it. The Hi-Fi should be clear as what your own ears would hear in the room.

I would expect that if it is any sort of RFI/EMI field, it would happen to all the recorders at the same time. Anything strong enough to alter the Hi-Fi rig and produce a EVP should also interfere with cell phone reception, so I will try and test everything I can before and during the test to try and account for all of that.

Can anyone see a problem with my plan? Any ideas on how to make it just a bit better maybe? Can anyone host my fndings when I'm done?

If you're serious about this, and have some intention to document it properly I can maybe help...

If you're serious about this, and have some intention to document it properly I can maybe help...

Sure! I'm willing to do the experiment, and of course I want to do it properly. I'm open to any suggestions, but like I said, I'm several weeks away from actally having any time to do this. The solstice/New Year weekend is when I have free time...that's when I'm hoping to do it. I also don't have too much $$ to spend on the crappy recorders.

But I've become interested because someone with similar professional experience has claimed to have found them. I really never would have thought another professional would be a proponent of these things, because of the reasons I've already stated. I think it is only fair to try and record these things myself before I completely write it off.

And I, of course, want to make it as air tight as possible!

Can anyone see a problem with my plan? Any ideas on how to make it just a bit better maybe? Can anyone host my fndings when I'm done?

The entity may choose to effect only one recorder.

The entity may be discouraged by your skepticism.

The entity may be busy.

The entity may not like you.

The entity is taking a nap.

No matter what you do, they'll have an excuse to not believe your findings if what you find does not support their beliefs.

I think that is a symptom of 'believers' of all stripes...

I think that is a symptom of 'believers' of all stripes...

I guess so...I'd like to know what happened to mCAT. Seemed to disappear right after I asked to hear the EVP's.

:shrug: