Goodbye Jesus

Spells

PandaPirate

HadouKen, suppose I told you that one night recently, I got in my car, levitated it, and flew it from Florida to Maine.

Before you believed me, what kind of proof would you demand of me? One eyewitness? A video? A repeat performance in front of your own eyes? Six minutes on Oprah?

Suppose I told you I could only do that levitating alone, when nobody is watching. I could repeat the feat, but everything has to be just right for it to happen, so I can't do it on demand. Besides, it wouldn't work anyway if you didn't believe it would.

I'm guessing you'd need some pretty hard evidence to believe my story. The same kind of evidence I need to seriously entertain outrageous and bizarre claims.

Of course, I would need evidence to accept such a claim. It does not conform to the criteria I laid out above! Not only would there still be evidence you could possibly produce--such as your sudden appearance, say, in the middle of the ocean, having been suddenly seen by an early morning fisherman--but there is no reason for me to make such a judgment. It has absolutely no impact on my actions--and certainly not any pressing reasons forcing me to make a choice. Such a scenario fails on both the second and the third criteria, and possibly the fourth.

The example you provide is well provided for by the guidelines I presented above.

Your argument seems to have abandoned rational consideration of the problem and gone in a purely emotive direction. Rather than respond to the logic of my previous post, you simply rail against the "absurdity" of accepting apparently ridiculous notions. But you lay out no criteria for labelling something as absurd. I am left with the impression that you consider the absurd to be absurd just because it strikes you as such.

Just because we don't know absolutely everything there is to know doesn't mean we can't safely rule out the obviously absurd just because "anything is possible." Simply calling an absurdity "non-rational" rather than "irrational" doesn't fix it.

Where did I say that "anything is possible?" Such certainly does not reflect my viewpoint.

By what criteria are we to rule out the absurd? What makes something "obviously" absurd so obvious?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• PandaPirate

• florduh

• HadouKen24

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe they have used up four pages so far to argue spells work. It is the same kind of brain drain as xtianity.

HereticZero,

Please read the Rules for this section:

In this one area of Ex-Christian.net, each individual who has adopted an alternative spiritual expression should feel encouraged to freely express any experiences, thoughts, or opinions without fear of being brow beaten, harshly criticized, or condemned.

This particular section of our wonderful website, is dedicated to those who do not want to be attacked or ridiculed for whatever belief they have. So I ask you to respect that this is a free-zone for these kinds of discussions. If you don't agree, or if you don't like it, then don't participate in this part of the "building". Simple as that.

/Hans

• Super Moderator
HadouKen, suppose I told you that one night recently, I got in my car, levitated it, and flew it from Florida to Maine.

Before you believed me, what kind of proof would you demand of me? One eyewitness? A video? A repeat performance in front of your own eyes? Six minutes on Oprah?

Suppose I told you I could only do that levitating alone, when nobody is watching. I could repeat the feat, but everything has to be just right for it to happen, so I can't do it on demand. Besides, it wouldn't work anyway if you didn't believe it would.

I'm guessing you'd need some pretty hard evidence to believe my story. The same kind of evidence I need to seriously entertain outrageous and bizarre claims.

Of course, I would need evidence to accept such a claim. It does not conform to the criteria I laid out above! Not only would there still be evidence you could possibly produce--such as your sudden appearance, say, in the middle of the ocean, having been suddenly seen by an early morning fisherman--but there is no reason for me to make such a judgment. It has absolutely no impact on my actions--and certainly not any pressing reasons forcing me to make a choice. Such a scenario fails on both the second and the third criteria, and possibly the fourth.

The example you provide is well provided for by the guidelines I presented above.

Your argument seems to have abandoned rational consideration of the problem and gone in a purely emotive direction. Rather than respond to the logic of my previous post, you simply rail against the "absurdity" of accepting apparently ridiculous notions. But you lay out no criteria for labelling something as absurd. I am left with the impression that you consider the absurd to be absurd just because it strikes you as such.

Just because we don't know absolutely everything there is to know doesn't mean we can't safely rule out the obviously absurd just because "anything is possible." Simply calling an absurdity "non-rational" rather than "irrational" doesn't fix it.

Where did I say that "anything is possible?" Such certainly does not reflect my viewpoint.

By what criteria are we to rule out the absurd? What makes something "obviously" absurd so obvious?

Main Entry:

1ab·surd

Pronunciation:

\əb-ˈsərd, -ˈzərd\

Function:

adjective

Etymology:

Middle French absurde, from Latin absurdus, from ab- + surdus deaf, stupid

Date:

1: ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous <an absurd argument>

2: having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence>

3: dealing with the absurd or with absurdism <absurd theater>

I can't believe you wish to call into question the meaning of "absurd." Definition 2 is particularly relevant here.

You win. I'm too tired to continue.

I can't believe you wish to call into question the meaning of "absurd." Definition 2 is particularly relevant here.

I feel a little insulted that you quoted a dictionary, as if I can't very well open one up on my own. I'm well aware of what the dictionary definition of "absurd" is.

If you read closely, you'll find that I was not calling into question the definition of absurdity, I'm asking by which criteria you would propose something fits that definition.

Anyway, if you don't want to continue the discussion, that's fine. It doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'm glad you brought the issue up, though; it's sparked some interesting thoughts regarding epistemology that I think I should spend some time working out.

• 1 month later...
Guest evilution disciple

Hmm.. my friend gave me the link to this forum and this topic caught my attention. So here's my first post.

Anyone can give me the spell to make someone love and marry you? :P