Goodbye Jesus

Speaking in Tounges

dynomatastic

I really don't know where to post this, so uh...I'll do it here.

Lately, I've been interested in this whole being-filled-with-the-holy-spirit-and-falling-to-the-ground-shaking-and-speaking-in-'tounges' bit, and was just wondering if there is there a chemical reaction in the brain that happens? Is part of the brain/human body reacting to an imbalance? Do preachers have some special technique they use to "fill somebody with the holy spirit" that causes them to do that (using pressure points, etc etc)? What causes some people to shake so violently that they look like they're having a seziure? Is it all just acting, people believing in something so much they want it to be real, so they just do it?

Even when I went to church, I thought it was wierd, so I was never "filled with the holy spirit," but I observed several different people. Some had no reaction at all, while others just flung themselves on the ground and started rambling on and on. When I went to go see my niece's play at her church, I had a nasty case of the flu bug. They dragged me up onto the stage, did the olive oil bit, and said a prayer for me in tounges. What the hell causes a person to speak in tounges? Is it just "all in their head?"

I tried doing a search for it, and all I've found where websites referring to "Jesus predicted that the believers would 'speak in new tongues' (Mark 16:17)," etc. I was just wondering if there are psychiatrists/psycologists/etc. that have done any research, or just consider it an absurdity?

Sorry if this post seems lame, but I am just trying to figure out why people would ramble on and on in a "language" that nobody can understand. Any old forum posts/books/sites? Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• dulce

• spamandham

• dynomatastic

Personally, I think it's all in the head. The person believes they should speak in tongues so they do.

On a weird note, my second girlfriend told me once that she could speak in tongues. I had never seen it before so I dared her to demonstrate for me. She closed her eyes, looked at the ground as if she were meditating, then opened them and said 'Monasdgaletiaohsdgaksdngasldgkhaoweithl'. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. :blink:

Edit: I'm really interested in foreign languages and I've actually created 2 of my own. I've always wanted to go to a revival meeting or something and start rolling around speaking my constructed language just to freak people out. It would sound authentic but would also be complete bullshit. Unfortunately, no one at any of the revival meetings my youth group goes to ever speaks in tongues.

I spoke in tongues, and can still do it.

Some standup comedians can do language imitations that sounds like tongues.

Our mind is an extraordinary machine, and I think it all lies in there.

We have an ability to do pattern recognition subconsciously. It wouldn't surprise me that if we could unlock those abilities more, we could learn complete languages in just a few days.

I tried doing a search for it, and all I've found where websites referring to "Jesus predicted that the believers would 'speak in new tongues' (Mark 16:17)," etc.  I was just wondering if there are psychiatrists/psycologists/etc. that have done any research, or just consider it an absurdity?

Instead of doing a search for 'tongues' or 'speaking in tongues', try doing a search for glossolalia. You will find much information about it.

And yes, it has been researched, and yes, it is quite bunk. :mellow:

What causes some people to shake so violently that they look like they're having a seziure?  Is it all just acting,  people believing in something so much they want it to be real, so they just do it?

It's a combination of "rightious fraud", peer pressure and hypnosis.

The Biblical tonges is not just babbling unintelligibly, but speaking in a way that people of all languages simultaneously understand it in their native languages.

To my knowledge, there are no recorded instances of the Biblical version of tongues outside the Bible.

For more balanced views, search using the technical term 'glossalia' instead of "speaking in tongues" as the latter phrase is almost always used in religious discussions about the act. In my opinion, it is the visible [audible] result of a trained response to entering an Altered State of Consciousness. Meaning it is both "acting" and "real" to the person doing it. They recognize, at the lowest level, that they are controlling it but as a result of what is actually a state of self-hyonosis they do not permit themselves to consciously recognize that fact.

It's a very interesting thing...

A question I've always had on this subject:

To those who have heard it or spoken it (I haven't). Is it actually a foreign language they speak, like, say Russian, or Urdu or something, or are they indeed just spouting meaningless bable?

After all, in the book of Acts (ch 2), aren't those who begin "speaking in tongues" actually speaking other recognisable languages? Paul also recommended getting a translator for someone speaking in tongues, otherwise, whats the point?

I have considered on more than one ocassion going with a specific "tongues speech" and interrupting a service with it.  And using a tape recorder to record both my "speech" and the interpretation.  Then going to several different churches of that type.,..and using the exact same speech and waiting for an interpretation.

I then considered possibly writing an expose on it.  Because obviously all the interpretations would be different. 

I think this would make a fantastic expose' story. Who cares what the christian's response would be, it would be the observers that would be most affected. Perhaps you could sell the idea to a news mag like 20/20 or 60 minutes.

It's a combination of "rightious fraud", peer pressure and hypnosis.

That's about what I suppose until I sometimes may do some research of my own on that topic. Auto-hypnosis, self-induced epilepsy, whoknowswhat.

To those who have heard it or spoken it (I haven't).  Is it actually a foreign language they speak, like, say Russian, or Urdu or something, or are they indeed just spouting meaningless bable?

After all, in the book of Acts (ch 2), aren't those who begin "speaking in tongues" actually speaking other recognisable languages?  Paul also recommended getting a translator for someone speaking in tongues, otherwise, whats the point?

The general consensus among those who study speach and language is that it is not at all possible it is a language. Not only is it not a language which currently exists but it isn't one which ever existed and it certainly isn't one which will exist. It lacks many fundamentals of language, like syntax, and has more to do with babbling than actual language. Which is untrue in one respect, babbling is MORE representative of another language as babies babble in phonemes which are universal. Meaning a Chinese baby sounds like an Italian baby when they babble... so a baby's babbling would be closer to what the Christians claim to be doing. The sounds produced by a Christian speaking in tongues will always reflect the sounds native to their tongue and will not include those not found in their speech. For example, that sound Arabic(?) women make (I can't describe it better than that -- victory chant or whatever) is a uvular sound... a concept completely unknown in spoken English and thus you will not hear uvular sounds by a person speaking in tongues (rare cases might exist where they have heard it before and try and emulate it but such attempts tend to disrupt the Altered State of Consciousness).

Anyway, no chance it is a language.

I have spoken in tongues and still do on occasion. It's one of those things that when I'm feeling a certain type of stress, just happens. I find myself muttering in tongues every once in a while.

To those who have heard it or spoken it (I haven't).  Is it actually a foreign language they speak, like, say Russian, or Urdu or something, or are they indeed just spouting meaningless bable?

It's meaningless babble. I've been around people who started doing it, and it's freaky. They start off by praying intensly over and over the same thing until someone starts babbling. Then it spreads through the room as others start babbling similar sounds.

I have spoken in tongues and still do on occasion. It's one of those things that when I'm feeling a certain type of stress, just happens. I find myself muttering in tongues every once in a while.

Apparently god does work in mysterious ways when even apostates can be 'filled with the holy spirit' and speak in tongues. :grin:

I have spoken in tongues and still do on occasion.  It's one of those things that when I'm feeling a certain type of stress, just happens.  I find myself muttering in tongues every once in a while.

Just to try it on again, I did it in the car yesterday, for 5 seconds or so...

I did it again right now, and I can't write it down, it looks to funny.

I'm not sure how to spell it. Maybe I should record it and take it "word" by "word"?

I started to post and my computer kicked me offline. So here it goes again.

Speaking in tongues is bullshit. I came from a church where people walk through the magic doors and start speaking in tongues like it's their second language. It's so stupid. They never speak in tongues unless they're in church. Why does it only happen in church? If god is going to give you this great gift by filling you with his spirit, can't he do it anywhere? Or is he like, "Oh, shit, this guys in the grocery store, better wait till Sunday night."

My ex pastor would be in the middle of a sermon and if the "saints" weren't looking enraptured he would stop mid sentence and say some jibberish like.... Molakashandalala. And then some super spriritual ass hole would jump up out of his pew and run the aisles screaming..Shalala Mokalosha blah blah blah. Then his ultra spiritual wife would fall on the floor moaning and groaning. And then everybody would get "in the spirit" and flop and scream and shalala all over the place.

Then when church was over, everybody would go to Denny's for dinner like nothing happened.

I started to post and my computer kicked me offline.  So here it goes again.

Speaking in tongues is bullshit.  I came from a church where people walk through the magic doors and start speaking  in tongues like it's their second language.  It's so stupid.  They never speak in tongues unless they're in church.  Why does it only happen in church?  If god is going to give you this great gift by filling you with his spirit, can't he do it anywhere?  Or is he like, "Oh, shit, this guys in the grocery store, better wait till Sunday night." 

My ex pastor would be in the middle of a sermon and if the "saints" weren't looking enraptured he would stop mid sentence and say some jibberish like.... Molakashandalala.  And then some super spriritual ass hole would jump up out of his pew and run the aisles screaming..Shalala  Mokalosha blah blah blah.  Then his ultra spiritual wife would fall on the floor moaning and groaning.  And then everybody would get "in the spirit" and flop and scream and shalala all over the place.

Then when church was over, everybody would go to Denny's for dinner like nothing happened.

I used to do it anywhere I went. When I prayed at home or in cellgroup.

And it sounded like you say Shalalal mokalashockalabock hubba di-dubba di-hey!

Very funny if you think about it...

I used to do it anywhere I went. When I prayed at home or in cellgroup.

And it sounded like you say Shalalal mokalashockalabock hubba di-dubba di-hey!

Very funny if you think about it...

Don't want to sound stupid, but what's a cellgroup?

Don't want to sound stupid, but what's a cellgroup?

A prayer and study group, gathered on mondays at homes.

The church was divided in cell groups. Each group between 10-20 people.

If you ever heard of a preacher/pastor Yong Gi Sho (SP?), he invented this thing.

It was actually one of the best things in Church that I remembered. The people in the cell group became your extended family, and you had closer connection with them than the rest of the church. Of cource the CG-leaders were under strict regulation and supervision from the leaders of the church, so no heretic teaching would start somewhere.

I prefered to go to the CG rather then church. More personal. Actually I miss that part still a bit...

There is no such thing. No one can speak in tongues and no one can interpret someone speaking in so-called tongues. This is speaking in tongues:

"Llanfairp wllgwyngyllgogery chwyrndrobwllllanty siliogogogoch" OR

"pneumonoultram icroscopic silicovolcano coniosis"

:lmao::lmao:

I've seen videotape of this tongues crap.

I've also seen videotape of voodoo ceremonies.

The only difference in terms of babble or action (falling down and rolling around), was the race of the participants.

I've seen videotape of this tongues crap.

I've also seen videotape of voodoo ceremonies.

The only difference in terms of babble or action (falling down and rolling around), was the race of the participants.

And the gods they prayed too. And how good dancers they were :lmao:

And the gods they prayed too. And how good dancers they were :lmao:

:lmao: That's a matter of race too. The dancing I mean. Most white men are better off standing perfectly still. Hence speaking tongues instead of dance trance. :lmao:

Coming from a Charismatic background, I can say with certainty that "speaking in tongues" is pure bull SHIT!

According to the bible the believer is SUPPOSED to be speaking a language that some OTHER human can comprehend and THUS interpret.

Many Xians, however, wish to believe that you may ALSO speak in a "heavenly language" that ONLY "the Holy Ghost" understands.

Uh, yeah. Bullshit!

To prove my point in church, I fucked with everyone by "speaking in tongues". People prophecied and interpreted my utterances with gusto.

Unfortunately, what I was doing was mere babbling. I was quoting the first of the 93 sayable mantra mumbles I recalled from Samuel R. Delaney's sci-fi novel Triton! Fucking retards!

A prayer and study group, gathered on mondays at homes.

This always bugged me. Like going to church 3 days a week wasn't enough. You had to go to study group.

I went to church on Sunday morning, Sunday evening. Then I went to church Tuesday evening. On Thursday was church in another town. ( our outreach ) On Friday was Youth Service. On Saturday was prayer night. Then it was Sunday again. Not to mention I was a teacher Monday through Friday at the same damn church. ( they had k-12 school there, also )

Talk about NO LIFE!

:loser:

Unfortunately, what I was doing was mere babbling.  I was quoting the first of the 93 sayable mantra mumbles I recalled from Samuel R. Delaney's sci-fi novel Triton!  Fucking retards!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Coming from a Charismatic background, I can say with certainty that "speaking in tongues" is pure bull SHIT!

According to the bible the believer is SUPPOSED to be speaking a language that some OTHER human can comprehend and THUS interpret.

Many Xians, however, wish to believe that you may ALSO speak in a "heavenly language" that ONLY "the Holy Ghost" understands.

Uh, yeah.  Bullshit!

To prove my point in church, I fucked with everyone by "speaking in tongues".  People prophecied and interpreted my utterances with gusto.

Unfortunately, what I was doing was mere babbling.  I was quoting the first of the 93 sayable mantra mumbles I recalled from Samuel R. Delaney's sci-fi novel Triton!  Fucking retards!

Oh my god, that shit cracked me up! I know exactly what you're saying! Coming from a very charasmatic church myself. :lmao: