• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• dulce

• spamandham

• dynomatastic

I'm drunk right now.  It looks like pig latin but I can't put it together.

:HaHa: I got the gift of decrypting tongue speaking... I says "speaking in tongues is fake!" Hehe

Guest Red Snyper

"pneumonoultram  icroscopic  silicovolcano  coniosis" 

Whoa! I didn't know other people knew this word. We used to impress each other on the school bus saying it and this other word (the spelling may not be right):

Lopadotimacocellicogallilocranioipsinodrimhypocigclopaleobefetraganopteragon...

or something like that. Still not sure if this was a real word or not.

Red Snyper

I had just one or two phrases - I even wrote them down in my Bible so I could remember them..........I added the 'translation' later as it 'came' to me......

:Doh:

The 'fake' speaking in tongues phrases that were my favorites were....

hereshecomesonahonnnnnnndaaaaaaaaaa

ooooooohhhhkomandtiemybowtieeeeeee

say 'em fast enough and you, too can speak in tongues!

Speaking in Tongues/Glossolalia is an extreme example of the emotional root of most religions. That and being 'slain in the Spirit' are heightened states of emotion. They are in the same family as 'fainting spells' or trauma-induced shock.

The initial accounts of this in Acts involved proclamations in foreign languages, presumably to help spread the gospel. Later mentions indicate that this practice had been incorporated into worship and was generally *not* understood by the hearer without divinely inspired interpretation. The practice died out with time but popped up throughout history. This site has a good overview:

The New Birth

Guest gnosis.sophia
Lately, I've been interested in this whole being-filled-with-the-holy-spirit-and-falling-to-the-ground-shaking-and-speaking-in-'tounges' bit, and was just wondering if there is there a chemical reaction in the brain that happens?  Is part of the brain/human body reacting to an imbalance?  Do preachers have some special technique they use to "fill somebody with the holy spirit" that causes them to do that (using pressure points, etc etc)?  What causes some people to shake so violently that they look like they're having a seziure?  Is it all just acting,  people believing in something so much they want it to be real, so they just do it?

Here is my perspective, as a still attending member of a Charasmatic church. [an aside, i'm agnositc... but details on that later...] I'll also give the perspective of the pastoral staff, or at least what they've 'preached':

Mine: Tounges seems to be totally useless, as anything other than a mind focusing device. You are just babbling random, or repeating phonemes. If you carfully listen to people, almost all of them use similar phonemes that they know, but are rearranged. So, anyone can do it, and it would qualify you as baptised in the holy spirit if you were ever to enter a charasmatic church. Try it, just make up crap, out loud, and keep doing it over and over, until it becomes natural.

The chruch really harps on this, you practice it, and it sounds like it's all spiritual. So, back to my "focusing device" theory. You are having your mind focus on making these "tounges", and in turn, thinking about god / whatnot, and you feel all spiritual, afterall, you're supposedly talking to god in an angelic language that even you don't understand.

Pastors Perspective:

You are talking to god in an angelic language. You still have to use your mouth to make the speach. So it's just like talking, only you're using tongues. heh.

Sounds silly, and is silly. I always envisioned it as something cool and mystical, that was produced from a trance, etc.. but Charasmatic churches just babble outloud...

Even when I went to church, I thought it was wierd, so I was never "filled with the holy spirit," but I observed several different people.  Some had no reaction at all, while others just flung themselves on the ground and started rambling on and on.  When I went to go see my niece's play at her church, I had a nasty case of the flu bug.  They dragged me up onto the stage, did the olive oil bit,  and said a prayer for me in tounges.  What the hell causes a person to speak in tounges?  Is it just "all in their head?"

so, the flinging on the ground, I believe has a lot to do with expectation and emotional overload. I've even felt weak-kneed myself, and sat on the ground...[my explaination is peer-pressure / emotional excitement / WANTING something... [seems that emotion is ] ] some of these people just fall over when teh preacher walks by.. expectation, self hypnosis, and super-hyper emotional states..

PLUS, you look all spiritual and touched by god if you fall on the ground and start shaking. After a while it becomes natural, and then you end up with people who at every church service yell out loud, and shake, and whatnot...

(as a side note, none of these phenomena are unique to Christianity, tho they won't tell you that, as they're unique gifts of holy spirit!)

these are just opinions of one person, namely me.

anyway, i can give you more info from my neck of the woods if you want.. i see it weekly.. =)

gnosis loves sophia