Goodbye Jesus

Why We Need Ex Christians To Come Back To The Church

truthseeker10000

TS10000, you just showed up here and started preaching your personal superstitions without lurking long enough to find out who we are and why we're here.

Essentially what you're doing is equivalent to handing out free beer at an AA meeting. As far as we're concerned, you are the ass here.

I'm very familiar with this site. I've posted here before, many months ago. I'm here because I didn't bring beer. I brought a new kind of beer. A beer alternative that doesn't break up families, but strengthens them. A community building beer. I too was a member of AA. I lost religion when I studied biology. I found it when I read the catachism as an adult. My world was destroyed and then I was ready to learn the real lesson. God is God and all religions and there differences are just people problems.

The thing about christ however is that his church is his body. The body is the sum of all the parishioners. The church has screwed up in the past. To change it you need a body of better representatives of christ. There are thinkers in these forums. That can be put to use.

If the church is made of those who understand christs message, the church would be good.

Charity is all I'm interested in. Loving others more than yourself. I believe living like christ only means loving others. Everything else in church is a means to this end.

I know thats not true of protestants.

they believe that if you believe then you'll be a better person.

I believe you will be better, and the world will be better when you try to love like christ.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthseeker10000

• Grandpa Harley

• R. S. Martin

• florduh

Do you have to call people names when you are unconverted or is that just part of internet forum etiquette.

We did give you fair warning. It does say to "expect heated responses" in this section. Dont complain to us because you didnt read.

Charity is all I'm interested in.

No its not. Your interested in religion...specifically Christianity... as a vessel to bring about charity. You believe in one form of charity, your kind. There are other kinds. Just because you bring your wheat to market in a wagon dosent mean we cant use the train to do the same thing.

I believe you will be better, and the world will be better when you try to love like christ.

Did you not get the memo where we said we had already tried that and found it didnt work all that well? If I dont like beer you dont offer me beer to drink.

B u l l s h i t

Maybe I could soften up the nounage with "field flowers" "prairie puffin's" "naturally dropped fertilizer"

nahhh.....

B u l l s h i t

kFL

[...i'm a scientist.

Reality check. I doubt you are a scientist. Where do you work? What field? No one talks theological shit and claims to be a scientist too.

Let's see some credentials.

I worked in a genetics lab working on the isolation of the sequence responsible for galactosemia.

I worked in a biotech research lab in san diego where I studied better ways to produce western blot kits testing for various bugs. burdorferi pertussis etc.

I taught 10th grade physics, 7 and 8th grade science and computers.

and the reason i can talk theological shit is cause i know what i'm talking about.

science doesn't touch truth.

it just says how stuff works.

absolute truths lie in invisible stuff. happiness, love, why?, etc.

TS10000, you just showed up here and started preaching your personal superstitions without lurking long enough to find out who we are and why we're here.

Essentially what you're doing is equivalent to handing out free beer at an AA meeting. As far as we're concerned, you are the ass here.

I'm very familiar with this site. I've posted here before, many months ago. I'm here because I didn't bring beer. I brought a new kind of beer. A beer alternative that doesn't break up families, but strengthens them. A community building beer. I too was a member of AA. I lost religion when I studied biology. I found it when I read the catachism as an adult. My world was destroyed and then I was ready to learn the real lesson. God is God and all religions and there differences are just people problems.

The thing about christ however is that his church is his body. The body is the sum of all the parishioners. The church has screwed up in the past. To change it you need a body of better representatives of christ. There are thinkers in these forums. That can be put to use.

If the church is made of those who understand christs message, the church would be good.

Charity is all I'm interested in. Loving others more than yourself. I believe living like christ only means loving others. Everything else in church is a means to this end.

You really believe what you wrote? You should tape record it and play it back to yourself several times.

I'm surprised I thought you guys were ex christians I didn't know you were asses. For those of you unaware, its difficult to discuss any topic with responses like. "read above posts, stupid"

Do you have to call people names when you are unconverted or is that just part of internet forum etiquette.

We've seen this kind of stuff before, it gets old real fast. Not many RCC people come this way though... I was RC for many years, I even made my confirmation, until I started questioning things, the basic "truths" of the RC doctrine. Not to mention some stuff just didnt make sense. People cant walk on water, why the hell would a god choose one people to babysit and why would a supposedly all powerful god kill himself and then say it was for our benefit? Church dogma makes about as much sense as a cow driving a truck.

i agree people can't walk on water, but i'm not a fundamentalist. christ taught in parables. maybe that story is a parable. what lesson could be taken from that particular story. If its lesson that might bring about happiness, or charity, then maybe that's why its there.

absolute truths lie in invisible stuff.

No, it dosent. Stop grasping at straws in a desperate attempt to be happy or feel superior or whatever you need to feel. Absolute truth dosent exist, there are always exceptions to any rule, always. Love is not always happiness...trust me.

i agree people can't walk on water, but i'm not a fundamentalist. christ taught in parables. maybe that story is a parable. what lesson could be taken from that particular story. If its lesson that might bring about happiness, or charity, then maybe that's why its there.

Your operating off a false premise...dont. Religion is not all about "happiness and charity" thats what it SHOULD be about. However, it is actually about how an individual can secure favor with their chosen god/goddess like secretaries lining up to blow the boss.

You really believe what you wrote? You should tape record it and play it back to yourself several times.

if I treated you better than I treat myself, wouldn't your world be better?

No, it dosent. Stop grasping at straws in a desperate attempt to be happy or feel superior or whatever you need to feel. Absolute truth dosent exist, there are always exceptions to any rule, always. Love is not always happiness...trust me.

love is not happiness like ectasy, or heroin is happiness. but doing for others is satisfying. even kids recognize the excitement of giving a gift at christmas or a birthday party.

and when i say love i mean how christ loved. he loved others more than himself. ...or so the story goes

God is God and all religions...

Bzzt! Wrong, wrong, 10000 times wrong. Your god is definitely not My religion.

"Þegi þú, Freyja,

þú ert fordæða

ok meini blandin mjök,

síz þik at bræðr þínum

stóðu blíð regin

ok myndir þú þá, Freyja, frata."

- From the Lokasenna

The church has screwed up in the past. To change it you need a body of better representatives of christ. There are thinkers in these forums. That can be put to use.

I, personally, have no interest whatsoever in saving your church.

Destroying it for all time, on the other hand... I am *so* there. (pets Her fluffy white EvilGenius cat) Mwahahaha!

Go away.

[...i'm a scientist.

Reality check. I doubt you are a scientist. Where do you work? What field? No one talks theological shit and claims to be a scientist too.

I worked in a genetics lab working on the isolation of the sequence responsible for galactosemia.

I worked in a biotech research lab in san diego where I studied better ways to produce western blot kits testing for various bugs. burdorferi pertussis etc.

and the reason i can talk theological shit is cause i know what i'm talking about.

You are are a fucking moron! I bet you don't work teaching anyone anymore. 'science doesn't touch truth.' 'it just says how stuff works.' What are you? Really? You just don't talk shit here without proving something along the way. I've confronted many people like you. You are no scientist except in your own mind. Delusional thinking is a sign of mind control. Perhaps you should seek mental health? Try some Zoloft. It will make the manic high go by by. What would Jesus do?

Your operating off a false premise...dont. Religion is not all about "happiness and charity" thats what it SHOULD be about. However, it is actually about how an individual can secure favor with their chosen god/goddess like secretaries lining up to blow the boss.

religion is people stuff- christ IS about charity and happiness.

if everyone goes to church the world won't necessarily be better.

if everyone goes to church and lives like christ the world would be better.

I think you speak much bullshit, but this is precisely the reason I feel that the agnostics and the non-theists need to be more warm to others. Far more concerned with everyone else's lives.

love is not happiness like ectasy, or heroin is happiness. but doing for others is satisfying. even kids recognize the excitement of giving a gift at christmas or a birthday party.

and when i say love i mean how christ loved. he loved others more than himself. ...or so the story goes

My point is you dont need religion to do that. You insist that a person does need religion to help others and thus make the world a better place. Im sorry...ive never seen such a large steaming pile of FAIL before. Weather you know it or not, that thought is insulting to all those who do good and charitable work without religion. The last thing this world needs is the RCC trying to do charitable works, it would only do so on the condition it could preach thus they would be serving only themselves.

if everyone goes to church and lives like christ the world would be better.

Nyet. If everyone lived lived and tried to be humane then they would be living better.

One does not need church or religion or a mythical "christ" archetype to have charity and happiness. One need only have empathy, and that we get naturally.

And the RCC has caused suffering around the world for over 1600 years. The time for its dissolution is long overdue.

[...i'm a scientist.

You are are a fucking moron! I bet you don't work teaching anyone anymore. 'science doesn't touch truth.' 'it just says how stuff works.' What are you? Really? You just don't talk shit here without proving something along the way. I've confronted many people like you. You are no scientist except in your own mind. Delusional thinking is a sign of mind control. Perhaps you should seek mental health? Try some Zoloft. It will make the manic high go by by. What would Jesus do?

science suggests models based data. the models explain the data. taken out of context the models explain nothing. look at newtonian mechanics. when you look at big stuff , it works. airplanes fly, cars run.

when you change the context. move to the very smalll. newton breaks down. in comes a different model. quantum physics.

each model explains particular phenomena in a particular context. there is no model that explains everything. if you had one maybe you'd be god.

and stop being mean.

if my son ever talked like that i give'em a crack.

So you want one model to explain everything? For you thats god? Thats fine if its what YOU want, what the hell does it have to do with charity and remaking the corrupt RCC?

No thanks.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why christians think nonbelievers are unhappy. Pretty big assumption on the lives of complete strangers in my opinion. Not to mention pretty damn insulting for someone who doesn't even know me, to think they are in any way qualified to give me advice. Particularly when the advice is unasked for.

One does not need church or religion or a mythical "christ" archetype to have charity and happiness. One need only have empathy, and that we get naturally.

And the RCC has caused suffering around the world for over 1600 years. The time for its dissolution is long overdue.

agree and agree and agree - but how else you gonna get people to be nice. the bible says christ came for those who needed him. people already living the way christ asked are already doing God's work.

buddhists seem to end on empathy and compassion and charity, but it takes a long freakin time to reach that end. christ says start with charity. i just seems easier to me.

and stop being mean.

You will *not* lecture us on how we conduct business on our own website. If you don't like the way we talk here, fuck off.

No thanks.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why christians think nonbelievers are unhappy. Pretty big assumption on the lives of complete strangers in my opinion. Not to mention pretty damn insulting for someone who doesn't even know me, to think they are in any way qualified to give me advice. Particularly when the advice is unasked for.

I think unhappiness is the understandable response to living in a dog eat dog world. i ain't dancin' on clouds. but i was more miserable when i had no God.

I'm offering my experience cause two years ago I would have appreciated it from someone else.

and stop being mean.

You will *not* lecture us on how we conduct business on our own website. If you don't like the way we talk here, fuck off.

I was just kidding, its actually fun. This reminds of prank calling people when I was a kid, and everybody talk really tough till they realize the guy on the other end can *69'em.

Besides being fun, it makes for great conversation.

f you- know f you- i f u and your mom- oh yeah - f you monkey head.

i'm only poking fun at the meat heads though, i know many people here are very serious and have good reason to have left christianity.

We are not interested in your version of reality. Read this before you post another word. And yes, there *will* be a test.

So you want one model to explain everything? For you thats god? Thats fine if its what YOU want, what the hell does it have to do with charity and remaking the corrupt RCC?

i didn't say god is a model for anything. actually i'm proposing that god is the only thing not a model. the only real truth. our understanding of the world takes models to understand anything more complicated than hitting a rodent with a rock to eat it.

...natural being evolved as hunters and gatherers.

if however you had a model to understand everything you'd be omnicient an maybe omnimpotent and all that stuff like god.

i was addressing someone claiming i don't know science or whatever they said so it doesn't have anything to do with the charity stuff.

...but i'll say it again before i go to bed.

the catechism, the book i was raised on but never read, until after leaving the church for many years, i found it made sense on the second reading when it said all god wants is for you to seek him out and the way you do that is through charity.

i think this is the way to build community to make the world better. and fixing a broken church makes more sense than leaving it the same way fixing a broken country makes more sense than leaving it.

We are not interested in your version of reality. Read this before you post another word. And yes, there *will* be a test.

i like how when you get backed in a corner you get all huffy and threatening. as if i might destroy atheism or something. this is what the fundamentalists used to do when they ran out of arguments too.