Goodbye Jesus

How Do We Know That God Exists?

Guest Joanna

Guest Joanna

In another thread, R.S. Martin wrote:

Without referencing age-old excuses like watch-maker theory for God's existence or atonement theory for Jesus' death AND without mimicking the Bible, can you answer these questions:

1. How do we know God exists?

2. Why did Jesus have to die?

Remember, I've read the Bible. I've done a degree in theology. AS HAVE MANY OTHERS HERE. Many here have been ministers or missionaries or in some other way involved in "the Lord's work." But when we really searched out the foundations of the religion we professed and trusted we found no foundations were there. We were left with the choice to lie about personal beliefs or deconvert. As stated, it was not so much bad treatment by Christians as it was bad theology that caused our deconversion. Christianity is custom-made for bad Christians--it does not withstand intellectual scrutiny.

You think the story is compelling and I'm still at the place where I want to see answers if answers exist. Let's hear the answers.

As I said earlier, these are big questions, if not THE questions of life. One forum post cannot possibly answer them -- at least not in a way that would satisfy everyone.

I'd like to offer my own story about how I've come to trust in a Being known as "God"; but for now I'll start with a very rough summary of why I believe He exists. I cannot speak for others' experiences, hence the "I" instead of "We".

So:

How Do I Know That God Exists?

The Universe.

It is magnificent. It is beautiful. It is bizarre. It cannot be wholly explained. Every time we think we've got it figured out, we realize that there's more to it. Because I know that I'll never be able to fully comprehend the Universe, I take into consideration, like Hamlet, that there could be "more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Dreams.

For reasons still not wholly known to me, I've been given glimpses of the future via dreams, and these glimpses have come true. Not once, but repeatedly. I would be lying if I said that this wasn't disturbing at times. I'd love more than anything to chalk it all up to coincidence, or even quantum physics, but I can't.

Visions.

Likewise, I've experienced profound experiences and insights, even while awake.

Miracles.

They have been small, but meaningful.

A Voice.

A lot of people claim to "hear" from God; therefore I cannot expect anyone to believe me when I say that God has spoken to me. I cannot even fully describe the voice, except to say that it's somehow more audible than my own thoughts -- powerful and startling and real.

Transformation.

This, for me, is the most powerful convincement. It's not just a matter of a few tweaks here and there to my personality; it's a complete overhaul. I am slowly being changed from the inside out. I thought I was a fairly nice, loving person, but now I know I've been called to real Love, which is quite a different thing altogether. Being raised in a "Christian" environment, I thought I understood what that meant. I was wrong.

I'm fairly certain that these reasons for belief are neither new or unique, and might even come across as a bit unbalanced. Someone else could have similar dreams, a similar Voice, and so on, and dismiss them as psychological phenomenon. The only difference, as far as I can tell, is that I've chosen to listen -- and to respond.

J

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mwc

• Ouroboros

• Asimov

• Neon Genesis

So would I be correct in saying that your belief in God is largely based on UPG (Unsubstantiated Personal Gnosis)?

And if I could add a further question to this, why this particular god?

The Universe.

It is magnificent. It is beautiful. It is bizarre. It cannot be wholly explained. Every time we think we've got it figured out, we realize that there's more to it. Because I know that I'll never be able to fully comprehend the Universe, I take into consideration, like Hamlet, that there could be "more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Begs the question. Why is a God the answer to "not knowing," or "not understanding?"

Why not two gods, or three, or an infinite number of gods?

Think about this: if the universe is so complex that it needs a creator, then does it mean that creator is more or less complex than the universe? If that creator is more complex, then you have a circular argument, since that creator is so bizarrely complex that he/she also needs a creator. But if that creator is less complex than the universe, is he/she really a god?

Dreams.

For reasons still not wholly known to me, I've been given glimpses of the future via dreams, and these glimpses have come true. Not once, but repeatedly. I would be lying if I said that this wasn't disturbing at times. I'd love more than anything to chalk it all up to coincidence, or even quantum physics, but I can't.

Could be other explanations than God. Supernatural okay, but God no. It's not like God is coming to your dreams and tell you the future, since it's you who dream about the actual future events. Maybe our understanding of time and space is so limited (see your own argument above) and there's the possibility we can "remember" the future?

Visions.

Me too. However, I don't attribute that to a God.

Miracles.

I've seen random circumstances that seem to have a "purpose", but I soon realize that random chance would account for that some people would have certain experiences that coincide. By pure numerical chance.

If you toss two coins and they both come up heads, it's a matter of probability, not supernatural miracles.

A Voice.

A lot of people claim to "hear" from God; therefore I cannot expect anyone to believe me when I say that God has spoken to me. I cannot even fully describe the voice, except to say that it's somehow more audible than my own thoughts -- powerful and startling and real.

Unfortunately if you are schizophrenic you wouldn't attribute your experience to your mind playing tricks with you, but your would attribute it to "external forces" to keep yourself intact. If you do hear voices (audible), remember, this is the most common mental disorder in America today, and it can be treated.

Transformation.

This, for me, is the most powerful convincement. It's not just a matter of a few tweaks here and there to my personality; it's a complete overhaul. I am slowly being changed from the inside out. I thought I was a fairly nice, loving person, but now I know I've been called to real Love, which is quite a different thing altogether. Being raised in a "Christian" environment, I thought I understood what that meant. I was wrong.

The funny thing is, I felt a transformation (radical one) when I lost my faith and finally realized I didn't believe in God anymore. My life turned around, and I felt lighter, happier, more assertive, and definitely better equipped to handle the situations coming at me and my family.

I'm fairly certain that these reasons for belief are neither new or unique, and might even come across as a bit unbalanced. Someone else could have similar dreams, a similar Voice, and so on, and dismiss them as psychological phenomenon. The only difference, as far as I can tell, is that I've chosen to listen -- and to respond.

So does patients with psychological disorders. They do have a hard time accepting it to be purely physical and a matter of the brain giving them false information. They rather accept the experience that they're hired by CIA, or talking to aliens through the radio or the TV. Some even believe they have a direct link to God. It's not uncommon. But what's interesting is that God's voice can be silenced through medication. How can a chemical, affecting your brain, also be so powerful that it can quench God's voice?

since most of your reasons, joanna, are related to personal experiences (gnosis as blue giant said), can we former christians, whom have experienced things beyond our explanations not be reason enough to question the experiences?

I , for example...and I am surely not the only one here was an exorcist before my deconversion...as such i saw and experienced the demonic and the amazing power of god (a god i now do not believe exists mind you) and jesus (also, not real)....those experiences seemed as real to me as anything i am sure you have experienced....therefore ...i guess i have a point---should you not also question those experiences as possibly explainable through some other means?

My best recommendation for the prophetic dreams/visions: write them down.

It's VERY easy to feel things line up after the fact (not saying you are doing this or being dishonest, it's just the way our brains work). Write down your dreams/visions in a journal and see how well they actually line up with reality.

Just a suggestion, take it as you will.

As or this part:

The Universe.

I always find it bizzare how 2 people can look at the same thing and come up with such dramatically different ideas. I agree with everything here 100%... right up to where you see it as proof of god. For me the universe is plenty. It's everything you described and "more" (in the Hamlet sense you brought up). I guess for me, saying "god did it" closes more doors than it opens.

IMOHO,

:thanks:

Every time we think we've got it figured out, we realize that there's more to it.
Just wanted to say that as far as science is concerned, I don't think anyone has ever thought we had the universe figured out.

I have a question for you, Joanna. Why does the existence of god need to be proven? As I posted in your other thread, in Mark 12:28-34, Jesus says that the greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself. He doesn't say faith is the greatest commandment, he says that love is the greatest commandment. Paul echoes this in 1 Corinthians 13:13 where he says that love is greater than faith. If love is the greatest commandment, not faith, why is it important to prove the existence of god? You yourself stated that a compelling story doesn't need to be proved, so why do you need to prove it? By focusing so much on whether or not the bible is true, aren't you missing the point of the scriptures? That the point isn't to lead us to historical or scientific truths but to spiritual truths, that is that the truth is love is greater than everything else? Since Jesus stated in Mark 10:45 that he didn't come to be served but to serve others, then isn't it more important for us to love each other than be concerned about the truth of god's existence since Jesus doesn't desire worship? Why is it so important for god to be real if love is greater than faith? If there's any "truth" to the bible, isn't the most important truth to believe in that we love? If god is truly a god of love, why do we need to believe in it if we follow the greatest commandment of all to love?

The Universe.

Joanna, I'm interested in your thoughts on this question: If god created the universe and everything in it, why would he create evil?

Guest Joanna

I'm taking a break, and thought I'd check in.

There are now more than fifteen questions that've been asked in response to this post, and it's only the first page.

Do you really wish to know my thoughts on each one of these points? If so, it will take awhile, as I consider all of them quite valid.

J

There are now more than fifteen questions that've been asked in response to this post, and it's only the first page.

Do you really wish to know my thoughts on each one of these points? If so, it will take awhile, as I consider all of them quite valid.

J

lol, more than you bargained for eh? take your time...skip me if you want.

I actually am interested. Take your time.

J

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on my questions.

J

It's up to you. We've gone through these questions and 50,000 more the last couple of years on this website, and so far there's only been a handful of reasonable answers. Most of the time, every answer only brings up 100 more questions.

Also, with regards to your dreams and visions, Joanna, please consider this quote from Thomas Paine's The Age Of Reason

No one will deny or dispute the power of the Almighty to make such a communication if he pleases. But admitting, for the sake of a case, that something has been revealed to a certain person, and not revealed to any other person, it is revelation to that person only. When he tells it to a second person, a second to a third, a third to a fourth, and so on, it ceases to be a revelation to all those persons. It is revelation to the first person only, and hearsay to every other, and, consequently, they are not obliged to believe it.

It is a contradiction in terms and ideas to call anything a revelation that comes to us at second hand, either verbally or in writing. Revelation is necessarily limited to the first communication. After this, it is only an account of something which that person says was a revelation made to him; and though he may find himself obliged to believe it, it cannot be incumbent on me to believe it in the same manner, for it was not a revelation made to me, and I have only his word for it that it was made to him.

Hi Joanna,

I'm interested in the fact that whilst I recognise all your examples, I don't think they are linked to or represent an explanation for the existence of god (although I hear that these are linked for you)

The Universe.

It is magnificent. It is beautiful. It is bizarre. It cannot be wholly explained. I agree with all this!

Dreams.

It is important to me to pay attention to some of my dreams. Some are just a mishmash of thought past and present but I have some that differ in quality that I pay special attention to. Before my deconversion I considered these from God - I still ascribe special significance to them, but experience them as communications from my own subconscious.

Visions.

Likewise.

Miracles.

A Voice.

I have an inner voice - there is a 'me' who answers back sometimes who seems to know stuff I hadn't yet fully realised.

Transformation.

I'm really into personal development and have accessed some really helpful resources since my deconversion - some of them have a religious component, others do not.

I think the only thing I'm not in agreement with is this comment

The only difference, as far as I can tell, is that I've chosen to listen -- and to respond.

I've listened and responded and so have countless others - the only difference is not calling these experiences 'god' or linking them in our minds to evidence of the existence of god.

Joanna,

Here's another thought you might consider:

If the beauty and the good of the world is a proof that God exists, then what is the ugly and bad in the world a proof of? Think about it.

Lets say we establish a hypothesis like this: If God exists, everything in the world must be good and beautiful. And then lets test it. Is cow droppings beautiful and good? Hindus think so, but I don't. Is death, pain, cancer, and human excrement good and beautiful? Eh, not much. So we can see our hypothesis didn't hold. So lets change it.

New hypothesis: If God exists, everything in the world is good or bad, and beautiful or ugly. Now our hypothesis fits. But we have another problem now. It also fits another hypothesis, which is: if God does NOT exists, then the world is good or bad, and beautiful and ugly. So suddenly, our only hypothesis that fit reality, is in conflict with a complete contradictory hypothesis.

From this we should be able to conclude that beauty and goodness is not the proof of the pudding at all. The world is the way it is, and if you add God to the mix or not, doesn't change or explain the world.

In reality what you're doing, without you realizing it, is thinking the opposite way. You feel or think that God exists, and then you want to have some evidence for your belief, and you selectively think of the good things in the world, and those good things become your proof. But I'm sorry, that doesn't work. We can apply any kind of belief that way, and we can make our own conclusions of anything by assuming our end-point before we selectively pick the things that fit our idea.

Did you follow that?

I'm interested. Take your time as you need.

In another thread, R.S. Martin wrote:

Thank you for trying to address my questions. I didn't see this thread till now. I don't have much to add to what the others have said but felt I should acknowledge having seen it. Your answers don't answer a thing for me. There's natural explanations for everything. My story is much like that of Hans, or whoever said life turned so much better after deconversion. I actually experienced the new birth at the very moment that I turned my back on God, church, parents, and all I had been taught to consider holy. That's pretty powerful.

It's up to you. We've gone through these questions and 50,000 more the last couple of years on this website, and so far there's only been a handful of reasonable answers. Most of the time, every answer only brings up 100 more questions.

Yes, indeed we have - well I've only been here on and off about six months though.

I have no questions to add, but I'm interested in any reponses too.

So:

You don't.

The Universe.

How does that constitute knowledge of the existence of God? This is known as an argument from ignorance, and a bad one at that.

An argument to ignorance occurs when one makes a positive claim based on a lack of information.

Dreams.

So you'll chalk it up to God. What utter, ridiculous, asinine bullshit. If you're having such amazing futuristic dreams, then call the James Randi foundation and they'll give you a million dollars for being able to accurately see the future.

Not only is this not proof of God, but this is another argument from ignorance.

Visions.

See above.

Miracles.

See above.

A Voice.

See above.

Transformation.

So?

None of these constitute anything remotely close to "knowing" that God exists.

Knowledge is demonstrable. Stating that you "know" (with quotations) God exists is emotional appeals in leiu of reason. It is the rape of fact and logic to suit your own personal desires.

So would the woman who drowned her kids because she thinks God told her to is actually hearing from God?

Take it as a complement that people are interested in what you have to say Joanna. Most Christians that come through here show themselves to be no different to any other Christian who thinks they have all the answers. We can see that you are a little more thoughful and respectful.

The Universe.

The universe is what? 12-14 billion years old? We've been scrutinizing it, really, scientifically scrutinizing it for what? I'll be extremely generous and just say since we could write so maybe 4000 years (even though a few hundred years is more ike it and modern research, where we could see into other wavelengths and so on, is far less than that). So what are you expecting? Really. Be totally honest. That we've managed to figure out as much as we have in such a short period of time is amazing. Yet, you see it differently. You seem to think that we should have it all figured out by now and since we've barked up the wrong tree many times in our efforts that, well, this "god" must be the answer. Hell, we've only just breached the edge of our own solar system with Voyager after ~30 years. We haven't even made a dent in the universe much less our own local system. You're expecting way too much far too soon. Unless we have a major breakthrough in technology this is going to take a very, very, very long time. We're lucky if we are even the amoeba in the evolution of all this.

Dreams.

Visions.

I have had this happen too. Both as xian and not. I'll explain why. I have a brain. It functions. It works on problems even when I'm not awake or when I'm focused on doing other things. It's like multitasking. The hamster is up there on its wheel turning the gears. Suddenly...AHA! Insight. Usually it's the answer to a problem from the past but sometimes it's "the future." Really my brain is just aware of all the things it needs to know to make a prediction and so it does just that and passes it along to me. If it happens my brain gets it "right" then I'm far more likely to make a big deal of it since "I knew." If I got it "wrong" then I probably just say nothing to anyone and forget about my stupid brains "prediction." Liar brain. We remember and make a big deal out of the "hits" and downplay and forget the "misses."

Miracles.

See above. It's related to the last sentence or three. Hits and misses.

A Voice.

I have a voice too. As I'm typing this it has said "I have a voice too. As I'm typing this it has said." That voice is me. Well, not the one in YOUR head. The one in YOUR head is YOU. Any voice in YOUR head is YOU. The exceptions to this are unless the government has implanted a radio in your head or the aliens are beaming signals directly into your brain. Both of these are easily tested by the application of a tinfoil hat. If the voice(s) cease when the hat is applied you have identified an extra-cranial source and need to seek help elsewhere.

Transformation.

Many here became "happier" (however you wish to define it) once they *left* the delusion of a "god" and the xian cult. Likewise people of any other belief system. How would you explain this in light of your own experience? That these people are experiencing a "fake" love? Aren't you just going to end up playing the No True Scotsman game?

mwc

Visions.

Visual and auditory hallucinations are common symptoms of drug and alchohol abuse, and may also be a sign of psychosis or other mental illness.

I'm just sayin'....

The Universe.

<snip>

I realize the question was framed to you by Ruby asking "How do we know God exists". But contextually in your response it's clear you mean it in the sense of "Why do I believe God exists?". Therefore, I don't see a point to argue issues of these being "proofs".

How I understand it, you are telling us how you see God in these things. When you look at the universe, you see God; when you have a remarkable experience in your humanity that causes wonder and awe, you see God; etc. All these things are simply descriptions for you, a way to put a face on what inspires you, a way to relate to it a way to talk about it to yourself. It's all tied together for you, so you can say "this is why I believe in God".

I think an important thing that people who hold to a system like this recognize, is that when others say they don't believe in God, it does not mean they aren't inspired the same way you are. All it means is they don't call it God and have other ways to put a face on it, to relate to it, to talk about it with themselves. You may already realize this, but I've seen many, if not most who "believe" not recognize that. They get too focused on the terms and not what they point to.

Your thoughts?

As I'm majoring in psychology, I have to add my two cents into here...

I have had this happen too. Both as xian and not. I'll explain why. I have a brain. It functions. It works on problems even when I'm not awake or when I'm focused on doing other things. It's like multitasking. The hamster is up there on its wheel turning the gears. Suddenly...AHA! Insight. Usually it's the answer to a problem from the past but sometimes it's "the future." Really my brain is just aware of all the things it needs to know to make a prediction and so it does just that and passes it along to me. If it happens my brain gets it "right" then I'm far more likely to make a big deal of it since "I knew." If I got it "wrong" then I probably just say nothing to anyone and forget about my stupid brains "prediction." Liar brain. We remember and make a big deal out of the "hits" and downplay and forget the "misses."

This, right here, is a perfect example of the "confirmation bias," a well-known phenomena in psychology. When we see things that are extraordinary, or strange, or just not normal, we are more likely to remember it, and we are more likely to use it to "confirm" a theory we have about the world.

As an odd example, and slightly silly, I have a pair of "rain pants." They're a bit too long for me, and so they drag on the ground. And every time I wear them, it seems to rain. Why? Because the bottoms get all wet, and it's kind of annoying, so I tend to remember it more. Of course, my "rain pants" have no effect on the weather, but it seems that way because I remember the times when I'm frustrated by my wet pant-legs, and so I (humourously) chalk it up to my magical pants.

What you have described, Joanna, are dreams that have come true. However, here's how it goes. You have a dream; you wake up and go, "Hey, that was strange." Then you go about your day. During the day, something happens which corresponds with your dream (which by this time has gotten a little hazy in the details), and you go, "Hey wait a minute! I had a dream about this!" But of course, you don't remember all the times that you've woken up from a dream, and then gone about your day and that recollection hasn't happened. Bingo - confirmation bias.

I actually used to think that I was some sort of "prophet" or "psychic" or whatever, simply because I had this same thing happen. I would faintly remember something happening in a dream I had had - it felt similar to deja vu. But when I actually started trying to test it out to see if it worked, I figured out that it was just a matter of seeing what I wanted to see.

Visual and auditory hallucinations are common symptoms of drug and alchohol abuse, and may also be a sign of psychosis or other mental illness.

I'm just sayin'....

Actually, "visions" and other forms of hallucinations are common amongst all humanity. Many people have visual or auditory hallucinations just before drifting off to sleep, or when they wake up during the night but are still partially asleep, or soon after they wake up. See the hypnagogic state and the hypnopompic state. They are very common, and although most hallucinations during these stages are fairly simple, everyone's brain is different, and so some brains are more conducive to more complex hallucinations. Truly, the more you learn about the states of consciousness and sleep patterns, the more you will find that "visions" and "dreams" are no proof of, well, anything. Unless, of course, you can accurately and specifically predict the future with a reasonable degree of success. That's something interesting at least...