Goodbye Jesus

Do You Believe In Spirits?

Vomit Comet

Guest algorithm
Guys,

i have left Christianity two weeks ago, but I "backslid" back to believing. The thing is, when I was going through some doubts, one day I was visiting my friend and his mom ended up sharing with me how great it is to live with God. She didn't know why she ended up telling that to me, but it felt like God was speaking to me through her, saying not to leave Him.

Also, people prophesied over me and it made so much sense and it hit exactly on the nail, in terms of what I was going through and what that prophesy meant. I have hard times disproving these experiences and situations as they seem to supernatural and real, that it makes me think that Christianity is true.

What about other gifts of the Spirit, if they happen in charismatic churches, doesn't it prove that the Bible is true and it works, despite the seemed contradictions?

Please respond!...

Should you encounter people who have ..."certain abilities". That doesn't prove the existence of your God, or any other God for that matter. All it proves is

there are some people with..."certain abilities". I happen to believe, due to certain experiences I've had, that there are people who happen to know a little

more than the rest of us. If you find you have this ability, or develop it later, you will usually run to your default God. If you are a Christian you will

believe you are a prophet. If you are native American, a shaman. African, a voodoo doctor. Every religion has it's own name for prophet/seer. If you

are secular you will probably just believe you're psychic. On another note, there are certain realms of theoretical physics that would allow for things

like mind reading/astral projection..whatever. Unproven, but ideas to toy with.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vomit Comet

• florduh

• sergei29

• RevOxley_501

Guest algorithm
For me, any type of supernatural is completely ludicrous.
I believe that "supernatural" is the label that religious folk apply to anything they don't understand. Lightning was once believed to be

caused by the God(s). Up until Robert Locke, disease was caused by demons, not little germies. If folks from the 18OOs could see doors opening all by

themselves, people talking who are continents apart, music coming out of boxes the size of credit cards....we would surely all be burned as witches

and sorcerers. It has been said, "a miracle is a scientific phenomenon that has yet to be discovered".

Christian: Known=natural, Unknown=Super Scientist: Known=science, Unknown=philosophy.

Guest algorithm
How do you forget...how do you move on with you life thinking that there is no Christian God who wants you to follow the Bible, and spread the Gospel, etc...how do you rationalize stuff like that, even if it makes sense in your mind, something is still telling you that it must be true and Christianity is the only way of life...even after reading many arguments on this site and first believing them, i am back to 'feeling' that my 5 years as a Christian exposed me to the true God, and his Bible is still the book to follow. Even if it doesn't make sense logically, u know that 'feeling' when u just know or think u do? How do u ignore that and move on? i need some advice here!

You are saying we should trust our feelings. What if I "feel" like cheating on my unattentive husband with my oh-so understand and sympathetic boss. What if I "feel" like slapping my son in the face when he disrespects me. What if I "feel" like quiting my job despite the fact I have a family to support. Don't you see how illogical that stance is? We all "feel" like doing things we know are not right. For those of us that are smart we ignore these feelings when they don't make sense, and we follow them when they do. I don't believe feelings are bad or good. I believe they are amoral. Just like "feeling" warm by the heater, cold outside, and pain when you run into something isn't bad/good. They are just there. Are you sure you aren't confusing needwith belief?

Guest algorithm
Now what I mean to say with that is that no matter how old an observation is, we always KNOW something about it. Our knowledge may be limited, but we know something, and as time passes we learn more and more till we have a sharp picture of what it is. The idea of the soul on the other hand, has been around for at least the last 10,000 years, and WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING now, that we didn't know 10,000 years ago. We're asking the exact same questions now that we did back then. Outside of things that are withheld from ALL observation and interaction (such as being integrated into our physical being), if it exists, we should have some concrete info about it by now. Come on, it's been 10,000 years at least.

That may be true for observable phenomena, but not for unobserved phenomena. The theory of relativity unobserved phenomena was never one the table, until Einstein brought it up. On the other hand the germ theory of disease had (hypothetically) been around for thousands of years before any evidence of it was found. I think of the idea of a "soul" as a hypothesis. Mabey it'll pan out. Mabey it won't.

While we have chemistry to feel something that is awesome, causing us to feel transcendence or alike, I do not believe there is anything out there, no deities, ghosts/spirits, demons etc. The closest thing we can describe as an angel is a compassionate human being, beyond that, I can't say.