Goodbye Jesus

Interview: India

Reach

They transformed me in a way that can’t be explained with words, as hard as I try. They give me hope, help me keep things in perspective in my own life, teach me a greater depth of compassion and make me want to do more to help others right here at home.

That's quite some impact.

Hope. I hope you can find the words to tell us a bit more about the hope they inspired.

:)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Totallyatpeace

• Reach

• Fweethawt

• SkepticOfBible

They talk about how they feel about the British since India was a British colony not too long ago?

Nobody mentioned it at all but they are changing the names of their cities from their British names to Indian names. That might be a clue but I’m not sure.

Bombay is now Mumbai and Madras is now Chennai.

The people have very strong British accents.

TAP, oddly the best piece I have seen on Amy Carmichael is called Amma: The Life and Words of Amy Carmichael which is a biographical sketch of her life and recap of her best writings. This work is by Elizabeth R. Skoglund who has read all of Amy's books. If your time is as tight as I think it is this book will save you some time and also offers a brief overview of India. I have to admit that there are parts of it where I felt my heart getting ripped out for India's little girls.

You mentioned and referenced the link to India's Caste System. Thinking about growing up in that kind of system where the quality of life will be predetermined for each individual, what is your view on that? As an American, I'm kind of screaming, "Injustice!" To an Indian is there a sense of predestination regarding the social class of one's birth?

I had hoped that the position of the Harijan would have changed over the last couple decades, but what is the position of these "Untouchables" in Indian society today? What can you tell us about them?

Are some of the little girls in orphanage/homes from this class?

I'm Indian, and it's been many years since I was there on vacation, but I never wiped my bum with my hand. Only the very poor have this kind of setup. I was told what to do. Basically it's just a cemented hole in the ground with two pads for your feet. I remember doing it, but can't remember how I cleaned myself up. That's why the flies infested my arse!

Kevin:

Reach: TAP, oddly the best piece I have seen on Amy Carmichael is called Amma: The Life and Words of Amy Carmichael which is a biographical sketch of her life and recap of her best writings. This work is by Elizabeth R. Skoglund who has read all of Amy's books. If your time is as tight as I think it is this book will save you some time and also offers a brief overview of India. I have to admit that there are parts of it where I felt my heart getting ripped out for India's little girls.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered it along with three other books about 10 minutes ago.

Reach: You mentioned and referenced the link to India's Caste System. Thinking about growing up in that kind of system where the quality of life will be predetermined for each individual, what is your view on that?

I refuse to believe that there is no way out of a situation. Any situation.....but of course, that is my American mind speaking and also my upbringing. My view is that if they can get the "outcaste" label replaced with an "educated" label.....they will move out of the lower social class. It doesn't mean they will become wealthy. It means they will have a chance to hold a decent job and have a roof over their heads.

Reach: As an American, I'm kind of screaming, "Injustice!" To an Indian is there a sense of predestination regarding the social class of one's birth?

I wasn't there long enough to speak for the India people but from my conversations that I had, a parent wants nothing more than to see their child do better than they have done. Whether that moves them into a different social class or not, I do not know.

Reach: I had hoped that the position of the Harijan would have changed over the last couple decades, but what is the position of these "Untouchables" in Indian society today? What can you tell us about them?

I don't know enough about this to fully answer you. One thing I witnessed that really disturbed me was the treatment of the lower class. I had a driver there that took me everywhere I needed to go. He wouldn't let me even carry my own water bottle or anything, serving me left and right before I could even anticipate my own needs. When we went out to eat, he would wait by the car until we were through, ready to open our doors for us. This was all very uncomfortable for me, as I am use to taking care of myself and don't like the feeling of anyone waiting on me. (unless it's my birthday or something) :HaHa:

I would ask if we could bring him to lunch with us and the people I was with told me that he would decline, even if I asked because he would be so uncomfortable with it himself. That told me that he believed his place in life was that he couldn't interact (dine, have conversations) with a certain class of people..... that he wouldn't even consider it. Every day I still tried to include him somehow and finally, the day before we left, I asked him to join us for lunch...............and he did. He still finished before the rest of us and left to wait by the car before we came out. The night he drove me to the airport I told him I never considered him my servant and in America, he would be my friend.

Reach: Are some of the little girls in orphanage/homes from this class?

I would say most likely all of them are.

I'm Indian, and it's been many years since I was there on vacation, but I never wiped my bum with my hand. Only the very poor have this kind of setup. I was told what to do. Basically it's just a cemented hole in the ground with two pads for your feet. I remember doing it, but can't remember how I cleaned myself up. That's why the flies infested my arse!               

Kevin:

Kevin,

I would love to spend time talking to you. Truly.

Whether I was in a dirty filthy place or at a nice hotel, the spicket was in place.

I have a question about the caste system. I understand you are born into it, but does that affect the level of education you can recieve, and if not, can that enable you to rise class-wise?

I have a question about the caste system. I understand you are born into it, but does that affect the level of education you can recieve, and if not, can that enable you to rise class-wise?

Your stuck in it for life if you are a guy. For women, it is considered an honor for them and their family to marry above their caste. My friend is a Brahman by birth who converted to christianity, and is now back to being a Hindu. He is a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, but secretly likes the position and status he holds. There is a lot to do with skin color as well. Girls are not allowed to stay in the sun too long, for fear of getting dark etc. (Men prefer the white meat!) I am no authority on India, and can't even speak Hindi, so please continue with your experiences TAP, I am all ears.

Kevin:

Your stuck in it for life if you are a guy. For women, it is considered an honor for them and their family to marry above their caste. My friend is a Brahman by birth who converted to christianity, and is now back to being a Hindu. He is a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, but secretly likes the position and status he holds. There is a lot to do with skin color as well. Girls are not allowed to stay in the sun too long, for fear of getting dark etc. (Men prefer the white meat!) I am no authority on India, and can't even speak Hindi, so please continue with your experiences TAP, I am all ears.

Kevin:

I'm actually learning from you.

The woman often put a white powder on their face as adornment to lighten the skin, believing that the lighter, the better.

post-77-1124332268_thumb.jpg

Pardon my lack of imagination, but in hope that the left hand has nothing to do with the spicket, what DO they do?

You so should not have... :puke:

Khan, once my children and I looked up "useless" facts online.  Many in those kinds of countries think that those of us who use toilet paper are disgusting.  They use their left hand for um, well, for lack of better words; to wipe and discard of feces.  If you try and shake hands using your left hand, many in those kinds of countries would be very offended.
Oh no you didn't... :puke:

Perfect answer, thankful. That's the reason.

Tap

You've got to be kidding me... :twitch:

So, the bible itself does indeed have a message for India. :Doh:

I've always wondered why the bible teaches to us to not let the right-hand know what the left-hand is doing... Now that I know, I must say, I find the lesson quite profound. :twitch:

Eat with right hand, do the  spicket  with the left.

Don't they wash their hands??

Now THAT......cracked me up.  :lol:

Nice, Fwee.  :P

It cracked me up too. :HaHa:

Actually, I was wrong. The actual verse is Matthew 6:3 that says : But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth

Well no freakin' duh!!!! :Doh:

In the case of those in India, if the left-hand ever found out what the right-hand was doin', it would know that it's getting the (literal) shitty end of the bargain.

Just think about that. They'd have a lot of ticked-off left-hands over there if the secret ever got out. They'd all end up goin' on strike or something, and everything would get really stinky really quick. :twitch:

:HaHa:

The woman often put a white powder on their face as adornment to lighten the skin, believing that the lighter, the better.
Not that my opinion on this really matters, but when I look at that pic, I see a beautiful girl under the make-up. :shrug:

That was my point in showing the picture.

I couldn't agree with you more.

That was my point in showing the picture.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Well, she doesn't exactly look too happy. :mellow:

Perhaps she knows that she looks like she

stepped into a flour fight at the local bakery? :shrug:

Hi TAP

I am a Indian from India living in New Zealand. I am glad your experiance was not too bad. Which City in India did you visit?

Pritish

Hi TAP

I am a Indian from India living in New Zealand. I am glad your experiance was not too bad. Which City in India did you visit?

Pritish

Madras/Chennai

I have to tell you, your avatar is interesting to me. ;)

Maybe you wouldn't mind answering some of the cultural questions since you know it and I just experienced bits of it.

Tap

Is it really that much different than women here, in the USA, who spend oodles on foundation, cover-up and powder so that their skin looks smooth and without any "blemishes"?  Put different colors on their eyelids.  Redden up their cheeks and lips.  Paint their eyelashed black.  It's the same concept.  Coloring ones face to meet some odd social expectation.

OR.....spend hours in tanning booths or sun bathing to darken our skin?

OR.....spend hours in tanning booths or sun bathing to darken our skin?
Some wise man once said, "All is vanity." ;)

TAP, you mentioned two particularly interesting conversations you had. One of them was with an Indian man who you sat next to on the 23 hour plane ride. And the other one involved a man I think I read elsewhere you had dinner with. You said, "Like I said in one of my posts (or maybe it was a PM), my most interesting encounter there was with an Atheist."

I don't want to steer this discussion in the direction of atheism but I'm curious. On a Christian mission-related trip, how did you come to be dining with this gentleman? What was significant to you about this meeting? How did the conversation go? Do you care to share any thoughts here?

I don't want to steer this discussion in the direction of atheism but I'm curious. On a Christian mission-related trip, how did you come to be dining with this gentleman? What was significant to you about this meeting? How did the conversation go? Do you care to share any thoughts here?

I came in contact with him because I was staying at a hostel. The people staying there were of all different faiths or no faith and from different countries. In the evening, dinner was served from 7:30-9:30pm and you could eat at any time during those hours. I had come in late one evening and was in the dining room alone. He walked in and asked if he could join me and I said "sure".

He sat down and looked up at me and his first words were......

"I want you to know that I don't believe in any gods."

I just looked up at him and wondered why that was his opening statement. I said......

"I want you to know that I believe there is One God. Do you still want to have dinner with me?"

The conversation was bazaar as he proceeded to tell me that he believes we are all "god" when we do good works. So if I help an elderly person cross the street.....from this man's POV, I am god at that moment. Then we talked about Hinduism for a while and he called himself a Hindu, which again, made no sense to me from what little I know about it. He was just an interesting person to spend time with.

The plane ride conversation was about everything. This is the gentleman that was on his way to meet his arranged bride for the first time. He lives in California.

He had Hindu meditation music with him and I listened to that for a while and we really just talked about everything. It made the time go by quickly.

Side note*

Today I will be buried at the office so I don't know if I will be back on until tomorrow.

Side note*

Today I will be buried at the office so I don't know if I will be back on until tomorrow.

If you would prefer, we can just pick this up tomorrow.

We should all be so fortunate to have good company on 23 hour plane trips. :)

TAP, when you get back here...

You mentioned traveling to Belize earlier this year. Have you made any other trips outside of the USA? How does your trip to India compare to the trip to Belize or any other place you have been to?

My first trip abroad had me leaving with the feeling that I left my heart in Japan. Do you ever hope to go back to India and if you do, what would you do first of all? Would one of your first stops be to the place with the pitter-patter of little feet?

What impacted you the most about being in India?

TAP, when you get back here...

You mentioned traveling to Belize earlier this year. Have you made any other trips outside of the USA? How does your trip to India compare to the trip to Belize or any other place you have been to?

My first trip abroad had me leaving with the feeling that I left my heart in Japan. Do you ever hope to go back to India and if you do, what would you do first of all? Would one of your first stops be to the place with the pitter-patter of little feet?

What impacted you the most about being in India?

When I went to Belize I was part of a team of 20 adults and we did a number of different things while I was there. Construction, mercy, roadside assistance, prison visitation and compassion work, such as spending time with those suffering from AIDS. When I was in Belize, I thought I was seeing poverty........that is, until I saw how bad it can be in India. The Belize trip was good and the people of Belize are some of the happiest peole I have ever seen. They laugh at anything and know how to find joy in the small things. They never appeared “oppressed” to me.

India, on the other hand DID seem oppressed. They are very friendly and kind and easy to talk to, but I didn’t sense an underlying happiness like I did in Belize. Also, eye contact is not as common in India. To look at somebody and smile, and have them smile back, would be much more likely in Belize than in India.

I do hope to return, summer of 2007 and stay much longer. My first stop would be to see the girls again and spend a few weeks at the orphanage but after that, I would like to take a train all over India and just spend time in the culture. There is so much to see there and from what I understand, the train is the way to go. I would like to spend my entire 9 weeks there.

What impacted me most about being in India?

How much I have taken for granted the hand I’ve been dealt and how I need to figure out a way to make a lasting impact on somebody else’s life......either here or there. It’s easy to think that there are too many problems there for one person to make any difference and it’s easier to just turn the other way. I don’t want to do that............ but now I need to figure out how to help.

That about sums up what’s going through my mind.