Goodbye Jesus

Evolution Is A Religion According To Darwin

Guest FormerThings

Guest FormerThings

“We may conclude that all the members of the vertebrate kingdom are derived from some fishlike animal. The BELIEF that animals so distinct as a monkey, an elephant, a humming-bird, a snake, a frog, and a fish, etc., COULD all have sprung from the same parents, will appear monstrous to those who have not attended to the recent progress of natural history. For this BELIEF IMPLIES the former existence of links binding closely together all these forms, now so utterly unlike.” – Charles Darwin Descent of Man

“The principle of natural selection may be looked at as a MERE HYPOTHESIS, but rendered in some degree PROBABLE by what we positively know of the variability of organic beings in a state of nature. The mystery of the beginning of all things is INSOLUBLE (impossible to solve) by us” – Charles Darwin Autobiography

“I THINK that I have become a little more skilful in GUESSING right explanations and in devising experimental tests” – Charles Darwin

“I BELIEVE in the truth of the THEORY” – Charles Darwin

"The more one studies paleontology, the more certain one becomes that evolution is based on faith alone” - Louis Trenchard, Professor of Physics University of Cincinnati

Definitions of the Words Theory and Religion

Theory: A belief, hypothesis. An unproved assumption. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture. Speculation.

Religion: A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator.

Charles Darwin Denied Being an Atheist

“I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic” – Charles Darwin Autobiography

"In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an Atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God” – Letters of Charles Darwin

“When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist” – Charles Darwin Autobiography

Yet Evolutionists will try to convince you that Darwin was an Atheist:

"Charles Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist"

- Richard Dawkins, from The Blind Watchmaker

“Evolutionary biology tells us loud and clear. There are no gods”

- Dr. William Provine, Professor of Biological Sciences, Cornell University

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abiyoyo

• Shyone

• Ouroboros

• Legion

Top Posters In This Topic

just in case you're not another drive-by:

- Belief does not equal religion. I believe my chair will support my weight. Does that make me a chair-ist?

- At the time that Darwin wrote this, the Theory of Evolution was still an untested hypothesis. Please read my thread on theories, hypotheses, and the scientific method.

- Neither one of the following quotes claims that Darwin was an atheist:

Dawkins says that Darwin's theory makes it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist. He doesn't say that Darwin was an atheist, only that atheists who read Darwin's theory can be intellectually fulfilled.

Provine does not even reference Darwin. Evolutionary Biology is a branch of science that sprang out of Darwin's original ideas, but it is not Darwinist evolution per se.

Please do some basic research before spamming the web with cut-and-paste drivel.

You are an ignorant idiot. You are not worth my time to refute.

Thank you. It needed to be said, but I've been the jerk too often lately. I always appreciate it when another poster is willing to share the heavy "shut up and go away, you moron!" load.

It warms the cockles of my heart.

(Didn't House do a show on heart cockles?)

Well, if Evolution is a religion, can we start a Church of Evolution and get tax exemption?

Well, if Evolution is a religion, can we start a Church of Evolution and get tax exemption?

Only if I get to be an usher. I want to take collections. :wicked:

Thank you. It needed to be said, but I've been the jerk too often lately. I always appreciate it when another poster is willing to share the heavy "shut up and go away, you moron!" load.

I'm normally a patient guy and kind hearted, but this guy isn't here to converse; he's convinced he's right and is absolutely closed minded. I truly hope he proves me to be wrong and a complete asshole, but I think he will be an annoyance to us all.

I'm normally a patient guy and kind hearted, but this guy isn't here to converse; he's convinced he's right and is absolutely closed minded. I truly hope he proves me to be wrong and a complete asshole, but I think he will be an annoyance to us all.

So far he's just spamming the board with links to his crap website and cut-n-paste theology.

I doubt he'll even engage in conversation. More likely to get bored and leave or get banned.

Only if I get to be an usher. I want to take collections. :wicked:

Absolutely. And we'll have miracle healing sessions, putting people with flu in a wheelchair and raise them up to walk. Stuff like that.

Darwin be with you.

Ho hum, another post and run troll. Anyway, let the fun begin!

Darwin be with you.

And with you, my evolutionary cousin. May your sperm be strong, and your DNA successfully reproduce, even unto the millionth generation.

Already fulfilled. :HaHa: I got 5 crazy mini-me-s. :woohoo:

Evolution a religion? No damn way. I think organisms are beautiful. But I believe the process of evolution is nearly without mercy. It would be a brutal religion in my opinion.

“We may conclude that all the members of the vertebrate kingdom are derived from some fishlike animal. ....

Why is it debunked? Why all the sad faces? he just made some valid points.,..No? Why not? I seriously am curious, because even though this troll spreading a site is trolling, ...it still is giving an argument.

I have read these statements before in creationist reads. What is the Ex-C's defense to Darwin's statements of the unknown?

...carry on :dumbo:

I have read these statements before in creationist reads. What is the Ex-C's defense to Darwin's statements of the unknown?

That there are things unknown to us. There's nothing to defend. And the quotes that supposedly claim Darwin was an atheist are about Evolution and the theory as such, not Darwin. It's a very poor argument.

Dawkins say that Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist, not that Darwin was himself an atheist. Bad support for argument.

"Evolutionary biology [not Darwin] tells us loud an clear." Also very bad support for his argument.

So who claims that Darwin was an atheist? Perhaps the simple answer is that Darwin was an agnostic, like he said in the quote?

That there are things unknown to us. There's nothing to defend. And the q

But Hans, if we don’t understand then it must be God, right? :shrug:

Of course. I don't understand my wife... she must be God. :HaHa:

Of course. I don't understand my wife... she must be God. :HaHa:

I think that's a great attitude Hans. You'll go far. :HappyCry:

Already fulfilled. :HaHa: I got 5 crazy mini-me-s. :woohoo:

Pra-a-a-aise natural selection! I am a profit! A profit of Darwin! A big, fat, fit, cold cash profit!

Glory to the fittest! All praise and honor to the punctuated equilibrium! HAL2000a-loo, ya!

Why is it debunked? Why all the sad faces? he just made some valid points.,..No? Why not? I seriously am curious, because even though this troll spreading a site is trolling, ...it still is giving an argument.

I'll try to deconstruct the post for you, Abi.

“We may conclude that all the members of the vertebrate kingdom are derived from some fishlike animal. The BELIEF that animals so distinct as a monkey, an elephant, a humming-bird, a snake, a frog, and a fish, etc., COULD all have sprung from the same parents, will appear monstrous to those who have not attended to the recent progress of natural history. For this BELIEF IMPLIES the former existence of links binding closely together all these forms, now so utterly unlike.” – Charles Darwin Descent of Man

“The principle of natural selection may be looked at as a MERE HYPOTHESIS, but rendered in some degree PROBABLE by what we positively know of the variability of organic beings in a state of nature. The mystery of the beginning of all things is INSOLUBLE (impossible to solve) by us” – Charles Darwin Autobiography

“I THINK that I have become a little more skilful in GUESSING right explanations and in devising experimental tests” – Charles Darwin

“I BELIEVE in the truth of the THEORY” – Charles Darwin

"The more one studies paleontology, the more certain one becomes that evolution is based on faith alone” - Louis Trenchard, Professor of Physics University of Cincinnati

OK, what we have here are some quotes by Darwin which were intended to support his theory, not bring it into question. By making certain words all-caps which Darwin himself did not stress, the poster tries to make the quotes say something they do not say.

He makes the classic mistake of equating the scientific process of educated guesses, formulating hypotheses, testing them, and arriving at a theory with the non-scientific process of guessing haphazardly and clinging to your unconfirmed guess. It's exactly what I wrote in my post about the word "theory" as used in science.

This is followed by one of Darwin's detractors, as if it were somehow relevant to what Darwin wrote. It is not, and it has no place here. It proves nothing, says nothing, adds nothing. Darwin had detractors. Doesn't everyone?

Definitions of the Words Theory and Religion

Theory: A belief, hypothesis. An unproved assumption. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture. Speculation.

Religion: A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator.

And here he proves exactly what I was saying about the non-scientific use of the word "theory" vs. the scientific meaning. He needs to read my post.

Charles Darwin Denied Being an Atheist

“I for one must be content to remain an Agnostic” – Charles Darwin Autobiography

"In my most extreme fluctuations I have never been an Atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God” – Letters of Charles Darwin

“When thus reflecting I feel compelled to look to a First Cause having an intelligent mind in some degree analogous to that of man; and I deserve to be called a Theist” – Charles Darwin Autobiography

At the very end of his life Darwin continued to embrace agnosticism. He was never an atheist, and nobody is claiming otherwise. But the poster goes on to lie through his teeth:

Really? Got any proof? No - just a couple of quote from atheists which happen to mention Darwin or evolution. Neither quote gets even close to saying "Darwin was an atheist."

Take a look at the first quote. Dawkins could just as easily have said "Charles Darwin made it possible for me to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist," and he would not have changed the meaning of the quote at all. As for the second quote, it is an extrapolation from what Darwin said, not a direct attribution. Anyone who knows anything about the Origin of Species knows this.

There is not a single "good point" made in this post. It's pure crap, worthy of a political campaign.

In the church of evolution, I assume Darwin is god. Would Dawkins be the reincarnated profit?

There is not a single "good point" made in this post. It's pure crap, worthy of a political campaign.

I see your points for those particular statements, but what about this one. IMO it plainly says that the start is unknown. Do you think he would have changed his mind if the Big Bang theory was accessible?

In the church of evolution, I assume Darwin is god. Would Dawkins be the reincarnated profit?

I guess I would be the spirit of the anti-Dawkins :shrug:

I see your points for those particular statements, but what about this one. IMO it plainly says that the start is unknown. Do you think he would have changed his mind if the Big Bang theory was accessible?

Quite probably so. Darwin did not have access to the tools available to today's astrophysicists. Darwin published Origin of Species in 1859. the first "big bang" hypothesis was proposed by Georges Lemaître in 1927, and the first inklings of confirmation did not come for another two years, when Edwin Hubble discovered the redshift effect.

Darwin was quite right to say that the beginning of all things was beyond the ability of anyone to solve - at that time. They simply had no way to approach the problem. Darwin had no way of knowing that within 70 years astronomy would progress as far as it did.

I guess I would be the spirit of the anti-Dawkins :shrug:

Crap - now we need an Unholy Book so we'll know whether to stone you, shun you, excommunicate you, or just feed you pizza until you explode.

Religion is so doggone complicated!