Goodbye Jesus

To All Of God's Critics

Thumbelina

• Super Moderator

Maybe something will break through some day, but if BAA wants her to see that image, then isn't that what PMs are for?

Well, it's the Lion's Den. Expect pretty much anything.

The thread is so redundant I was just wondering if it still has any value. It's 58 pages and 3 years' worth of "God is good" vs "No, and here is a hundred examples why."

• Super Moderator

Banning her would give her (an even bigger?) martyr complex and I don't want that either.

Who said anything about banning anyone? I love a good mud wrestler. The thread is pretty stale, though.

• Super Moderator

About that pic BAA posted --

Thumby avoids the tough questions.  Maybe someday something will break through her  rose-colored glasses god goggles.

Maybe something will break through some day, but if BAA wants her to see that image, then isn't that what PMs are for?

I really don't know.  I agree that the image is very disturbing. I also find that picture of the vulture hovering near a starving child equally disturbing (and I'm not going to post it!).  But I guess I'm also seeing BAA's approach from the aspect that he may be making a point to the many lurkers who hang out here as they try to leave the cult.  

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Banning her would give her (an even bigger?) martyr complex and I don't want that either.

Who said anything about banning anyone? I love a good mud wrestler. The thread is pretty stale, though.

Yes, the thread is definitely stale.  58 pages of crapola.  

Is everybody still having fun with this interminably long thread? Are we being enlightened, entertained, or just wasting bandwidth at this point? Inquiring minds want to know.

I was being entertained by seeing the things Thumbelina would eventually say to the many things people have said to her in this thread, but my enjoyment disappeared the moment I saw the image of a horribly burned person in it.

Thumby avoids the tough questions.  Maybe someday something will break through her  rose-colored glasses god goggles. 

Crazyguy,

To add to what Buffetphan said...

Thumbelina is trying to trick people (i.e., the lurkers, the waverers and those trying to de-convert) into thinking that her God is merciful because he doesn't burn these sinners in hell forever.  She said this years ago and since then, every time she's re-surfaced, I've tried to get her to spill the beans on just how long God will take to reduce the damned to ashes.  A very, very long time indeed.  An Aeon to be exact. 

Every time I use an appalling image of a horribly burnt person to give a vague and limited hint of the her God's sadism, which she's trying to portray as something good and just and loving and merciful.  It isn't.  It's sickening in it's calculated cruelty.  It puts anything any human can do to shame.

If I were to just PM her with this stuff, the lurkers and others wouldn't be made aware of her lying ways.  Also, she could claim that I'm persecuting and harrasing her.  By keeping this out in the open, I'm avoiding those problems, ok?

I'm sorry if the image offends, but what she's trying to pull here is just as offensive.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 2

It's easy to forget the real suffering that goes on in the world.. especially in first world countries. It's even easier to forget the very real concept that christians (most anyway) deny themselves - that their 'god' has promised to torture people who do not 'tow the line' just like that - and much, much worse. It ain't all love and bunnies... it's actually abhorrent to a degree I can't stomach.

So... I am NOT offended, because I know BAA to be a patient and kind person... from other threads and I've seen how deceptive some xtians can be.

I'll take the ugly truth over a beautiful lie any day.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 2

Well, it's the Lion's Den. Expect pretty much anything.

The thread is so redundant I was just wondering if it still has any value. It's 58 pages and 3 years' worth of "God is good" vs "No, and here is a hundred examples why."

Ah, I guess I didn't expect everything. The thread does have some value if lurkers are able to see it, so that they could see exactly what exactly is wrong with what Thumbelina is attempting to sell (or perhaps re-sell?), but there isn't much of a purpose in continuing. Maybe it would be a good idea for the thread to be closed eventually, but maybe it could become one of those "sticky" threads, or whatever they are called, so that anyone who comes into the Lion's Den could still see it on page 1 and read through, to gain anything they need from it.

I really don't know.  I agree that the image is very disturbing. I also find that picture of the vulture hovering near a starving child equally disturbing (and I'm not going to post it!).  But I guess I'm also seeing BAA's approach from the aspect that he may be making a point to the many lurkers who hang out here as they try to leave the cult.  

Yeah, the picture of a vulture hovering near a starving child is equally disturbing, but I understand now what the purpose of the image is.

Is everybody still having fun with this interminably long thread? Are we being enlightened, entertained, or just wasting bandwidth at this point? Inquiring minds want to know.

I was being entertained by seeing the things Thumbelina would eventually say to the many things people have said to her in this thread, but my enjoyment disappeared the moment I saw the image of a horribly burned person in it.

Crazyguy,

To add to what Buffetphan said...

Thumbelina is trying to trick people (i.e., the lurkers, the waverers and those trying to de-convert) into thinking that her God is merciful because he doesn't burn these sinners in hell forever.  She said this years ago and since then, every time she's re-surfaced, I've tried to get her to spill the beans on just how long God will take to reduce the damned to ashes.  A very, very long time indeed.  An Aeon to be exact. 

Every time I use an appalling image of a horribly burnt person to give a vague and limited hint of the her God's sadism, which she's trying to portray as something good and just and loving and merciful.  It isn't.  It's sickening in it's calculated cruelty.  It puts anything any human can do to shame.

If I were to just PM her with this stuff, the lurkers and others wouldn't be made aware of her lying ways.  Also, she could claim that I'm persecuting and harrasing her.  By keeping this out in the open, I'm avoiding those problems, ok?

I'm sorry if the image offends, but what she's trying to pull here is just as offensive.

Thanks,

BAA.

Ok, I understand the purpose of the image now and I also understand why you posted it here in this thread, but it was a bit of a shock to see. It didn't deeply disturb me too much, mainly all I felt when I saw it was how sorry I felt for the person, but I was just thinking of other people who aren't already disturbed like me who will see it and could be mentally scarred with that image.

I do agree that Thumbelina's agenda is equally as offensive as the image and if the point you were trying to make defeats Thumbelina in the minds of any lurkers or doubters who need help escaping from Christianity, then that is a good thing.

It's easy to forget the real suffering that goes on in the world.. especially in first world countries. It's even easier to forget the very real concept that christians (most anyway) deny themselves - that their 'god' has promised to torture people who do not 'tow the line' just like that - and much, much worse. It ain't all love and bunnies... it's actually abhorrent to a degree I can't stomach.

So... I am NOT offended, because I know BAA to be a patient and kind person... from other threads and I've seen how deceptive some xtians can be.

I'll take the ugly truth over a beautiful lie any day.

Just my 2 cents

The ugly truth is definitely better than a beautiful lie, but the thing is, I guess every time I am confronted with new information about something else terrible that has happened in someone's life, then it brings back the feelings I had when I was still a Christian, of wanting the world to just end right away and be replaced with the paradise that I thought it was supposed to be replaced with. Now that I know that Christianity is nothing than some big lie, I still want the world to end, right now, without anyone realizing what was happening.

worldwide euthanasia?

I get it... I really do. I've bled emotionally for mankind, silently, many times. It was one of the things that first attracted me to religion.. and now to humanism.

But then I see something kind and amazing and I think.. NO dammit - there IS a whole lot of good out there. My hope is we keep evolving towards what we can be... and even in the midst of all the yuck, it does seem to be trending that way.

SLOOOOOOOOOWLY

worldwide euthanasia?

I get it... I really do. I've bled emotionally for mankind, silently, many times. It was one of the things that first attracted me to religion.. and now to humanism.

But then I see something kind and amazing and I think.. NO dammit - there IS a whole lot of good out there. My hope is we keep evolving towards what we can be... and even in the midst of all the yuck, it does seem to be trending that way.

SLOOOOOOOOOWLY

I realize there is progress, even if it is slow. But no matter how much good there is out there, it's nowhere near enough to stop all of the terrible stuff from happening. At the very least, I hope that somehow humanity does evolve into something far greater than it is now, before humans actually destroy each other, slowly, leaving very few living things alive, suffering even more than they would be already due to radiation poisoning from weapons of mass destruction.

Here's a challenge to all of God's critics. If you were God and you had to create beings:

1.Will the beings you create be equal to you or less powerful?

2.What degree of free will will you allow to those beings?

3.How will you prevent those beings from hurting you, each other and their creation?

4.What will you do with those beings who break your rules?

Thumbelina, I've done some thinking and I have revised my response to this challenge of yours. You may be able to criticize it somehow, just like before, but I don't see how you could.

If I was a god and did create things: 1. They would be about as close to being equal to me as possible, without them being able to destroy me and turn the whole universe into a giant piece of crap. My creations would be below me, but not very far below me.

2. These beings would have total free will. I would not know or plan out the future for anyone. Their destinies or fates will be what they choose them to be. Simple as that. Both evil and good would exist and every being I create will have the ability to choose either good or evil, with none of them ever being forced to have an evil nature and require salvation from it from the moment they are born. I also would not create a whole planet full of animals without free will and punish them for the sins of one species.

3. It would not be possible for them to hurt me since I would not have created my creations for my own narcissistic reasons. Any consequences that a being was forced to deal with from either choosing good or evil would only affect them and not me, even if in some way I did feel sorry for the beings that chose evil. I would actually create a universe of suffering where there is nothing but evil and a universe of paradise. Each creation would have full knowledge of what is evil and what is not, as well as every possible consequence of every action they might commit. This way, from the moment they were created, they could choose either good or evil. The ones that choose good will live in the universe of paradise where no evil or suffering of any kind exists, while those that choose evil will go to the evil universe of suffering to carry out any evil actions they want. This separation would be the plan that would stop any creations that choose evil from hurting those that do not choose evil. 

4. There will, as I believe I said before, be no rules. Since every creation would have a full knowledge of good and evil as well as a full knowledge of every possible consequence of choosing good or evil, they will just automatically know what is right and wrong without me needing to write it down in stone. Any being that chooses evil and inflicts suffering upon other beings, which will actually be nonliving beings, possibly robots or holograms designed to simulate the suffering that the beings choosing evil wish to conflict, without them ever knowing that the beings they are torturing or killing are only robots or holograms. However, the main consequence of choosing evil is that the beings choosing evil will be able to suffer from the very same thing that the robots or holograms appear to be feeling and actually feel the suffering. Once they have had enough, they will have the option to completely reject evil and choose good, which they did not do from the very beginning, and transfer into the universe of paradise.

I also want to add one more thing. 5. Each being will have the ability to choose good or evil again and again, making different choices if they want to, so they could switch back and forth between the universe of suffering and the universe of paradise. Though it is possible for a being that chooses good to choose evil, if they enjoy having made the choice of being good, it is not likely they will choose evil, or if they had previously been evil, it is also not likely that they will choose evil again. It's quite simple. The suffering only is experienced by those that choose to experience it and those that do not want to suffer, simply will not. The ones that choose not to will never be forced to suffer because of the crap that beings choosing evil do.

What do you think of this Thumbelina? I'm curious to know, since I have changed a great deal about this. With this system, I see very much so how it would be better than anything your god has done, according to your religious texts.

1. Once again, nothing wrong with your god creating inferior beings.

2. Your god completely screwed up with the free will department. There is either none whatsoever or very little. He forces the consequences of the stupidity of his first creations upon all of his creations. Obviously a god allowing absolute free will would never do such a thing.

3. Your god had made it impossible for a creation to choose good instead of evil after they die. For choosing evil in their life, they eventually die and that's it. There is no chance of changing for them once they die. They choose one over the other, they're stuck once their body dies. He does absolutely nothing to prevent the suffering of others which result from the actions of those who choose to do evil, since he forces the consequences of their actions upon innocent people who do not want to suffer or do evil. When it comes to preventing his creations from harming each other and him (of course hurting your god is fairly easy since he's a narcissist and really gets pissed over rejection), your god has failed.

4. The consequences of breaking your god's rules are another area in which your god has failed, an obvious sign that he was definitely an invention of fallible humans, or worst case scenario, a demon or other type of powerful being that posed as a god (which is a highly unlikely possibility due to the lack of evidence for your god's existence as a being). Your god has this habit of killing the innocent for the sins of the guilty. He seems to really enjoy killing babies, I do not honestly know why. He doesn't seem to care very much about killing children of any age for the sins of their parents and other adults within their community (if it's a community full of evil and crazy people). Your god has been known to reward obedience and loyalty by releasing Satan/Lucifer upon a loyal and obedient worshiper and their family in such a way that brings to mind the idea of a human father letting his rabid pit bull tear his children and their own families into pieces, just to prove to Satan/Lucifer that this person will remain loyal and obedient no matter what crap happens to them. You should know who it is that I am referring to Thumbelina. I believe his name is Job, according to the story.

I hope I stated everything in as clear and easy to understand way as possible. If I did not, then I apologize and will fix whatever I need to, in order to make all of this less confusing. Anyway, in my opinion, I have defeated you and won your challenge on my second try Thumbelina. Of course my opinion does not determine whether or not I successfully won this challenge or defeated you. The only way to determine whether or not you have been defeated is to see how the doubters who come to this site react to all of the different things that have been said in this thread since its creation.

Have a nice day Thumbelina, or should I call you Thumby? Apparently that is your pet name around here.

BAA, as disturbing as it was to see that picture I'm glad you posted it.

There is a phenomenal amount of suffering occurring on this planet right at this very moment, and unless it affects us personally it's easy to brush aside others' pain as an abstraction -- Something we know about intellectually, and feel that we should care about, but often do not actually feel in any meaningful way.

When I looked at the picture, I was drawn immediately to the patient's face and the first thing I felt was sorrow.  It's a picture of a person in distress, an unknown distance away in space and time, and yet for that one moment I was right there beside them.

Reasonable and compassionate people do turn away from graphic representations of things that frighten and horrify them... And yet people like Thumbelina revel in the suffering of others from a safe. smug distance, taunting and tormenting with dire warnings of what their "loving god" will do to unbelievers -- For a moment, an aeon or an eternity makes no difference -- exploiting fear in the hope of coercing fealty to a vicious-minded overlord.  I must conclude, therefore, that Thumbelina is neither reasonable nor compassionate, as she seems to believe that her own god has some sort of "right" to horribly burn sentient beings.

• Like 2

Here's a challenge to all of God's critics. If you were God and you had to create beings:

1.Will the beings you create be equal to you or less powerful?
2.What degree of free will will you allow to those beings?
3.How will you prevent those beings from hurting you, each other and their creation?
4.What will you do with those beings who break your rules?

Okay.. I'm ready to answer.

First I do not agree with the supposition that any god would HAVE to create anything. So I will replace that with want/desire.

1) I would not actually 'create' beings... but something more along the lines of mitosis. I would allow tiny bits of myself to emerge or break off and separate. These bits would be parts of the divine, but not yet 'mature'.

2) They would have ultimate free will, because I do and out of love I would desire them to become like myself which would only be possible if they had the same qualities (in essence) the same way humans want their children to become like themselves, or even surpass that.

3) I wouldn't. I would know that to exercise power one must learn responsibility and compassion. So, I would create an environment where the infant entities could learn from experience... duality. A baby learn about what 'hot' means when his mommy lets him touch the outside of her tea cup, or he puts his hand on a stove. The pain is instructional - though the degrees are not always necessary. The point is the environment itself is the teacher... each entity because they are now separate would need to learn it's own lessons in reality.

4) The only rule I would make is that they can take as long as they wish to explore and mature... and that the 'source' (me) of their existence would always welcome them back... and then I would let them go to do their thing. Same as we let our children go to become what they will.

The secret to my universe would be that ultimately I would already know that eventually the lessons would be learned by all - there is no other outcome. I would provide for multiple lives.. because becoming gods isn't going to happen overnight and until all is experienced, true compassion and understanding is impossible - because it requires all knowledge, and true knowledge comes from experience.

and isn't that the point of having children? So they can grow up to become like you? You don't want them to remain children forever.

This is the only way any kind of supernatural existence makes sense... if we are spiritual beings (ie: the 'soul' is immortal) this is the only way that is truly loving that accords with the reality we actually see (ie: suffering, etc.)

My sincere thanks to CrazyGuy, Ravenstar and Astreja. smile.png

First, for giving me leave to explain my actions and secondly, for listening to my words with an open mind.  I really appreciate the fact you folks gave me a fair hearing on this one.  I'm also glad that you now understand why I felt obliged to do something that could have been easily misconstrued as needlessly offensive, thoughtless and cruel.  But now you know I'm putting the interests of weaker, more vulnerable people first, so that dysfunctional and predatory people like Thumbelina aren't given the chance to hurt them further.

Following up on Astreja's point about reason...

Yes, Thumbelina is unreasonable.  Unreasonable, in the sense that her beliefs don't stand up to a reasoned examination.  Unreasonable, because scriptural experts like Centauri have repeatedly pointed out her errors and misinterpretations - yet she refuses to budge an inch on anything, always claiming that she knows the truth and everyone else is deceived.  Unreasonable, in that she just can't see that if Jesus didn't taunt, tease and mock those he came to save, she shouldn't do so either.  Unreasonable, because sensible and reasonable people eventually realize that if their efforts are always thwarted, they'll never succeed in what they're trying to do, no matter how hard they try.  The mere fact that she never, ever, ever gives up trying to force herself onto us is a fair indicator of her ruling mindset - unreasoning fanaticism.

So, what are reasonable, sensible and rational people of good conscience to do, in the face of this unyielding, unreasoning fanaticism?

Sadly, we are required to oppose it for as long as it takes, all the way down the line, for the sakes of those who might be hurt by it.  We shouldn't meet unreason with unreason - because doing that means that Thumbelina's won and has dragged us down to her level.  No.  We should oppose her scripture-soaked tirades of unholy unreason with the best defenses there are - evidence, proof and logic.  This is why, whenever she pops up, I smack her down again, by asking the same questions... over and over again, for as long as it takes.  These questions use the evidence (her own words, the Bible, Wikipedia, etc.) to reveal the nasty truths of her unreasoning beliefs.  The secrets she would otherwise conceal or sanitize and sugar-coat, for the consumption of the unwary and the vulnerable. They need to know just what a viper she really is and to fully comprehend the calculated, sadistic cruelty of her loving, just and merciful God.  Hence the horrible images.

Look, I'm really sorry that you have to see these pictures.  I really am!

But sometimes reasonable people have to step up to the plate and reveal the true face of unreason so that everyone can see it for what it really is.

So, the pattern we've seen in this thread is just going to be repeated, over and over again, so long as Thumbelina's a threat.

Someone (possibly a newbie) will answer the opening challenge of this thread or Thumby will lie low for a while and then start posting again; innoccuously enough at first, gently teasing the regulars at first perhaps.  Once I become aware of her return, I'll slap her down again by posing questions she won't want to answer.  She'll sink out of sight again or simply ignore me and try to stubborn things out.  But, sooner or later (usually after Centauri's cut her to ribbons) she gives up and fades away.  But she'll be back!  And so the whole, stupid, irrelevant, pointless cycle re-sets itself, ready to start over again. And again...and...again...and...

Anyway folks, here's a simple comparison for you.

Reasonable people, knowing the risks of theft, fire, accidents and other potential threats, take sensible safeguards against these things, don't they?  They remain vigilant and they equip themselves with smoke alarms or security lights or they listen out for hurricane and tornado warnings and take shelter.  All reasonable and sensible responses to threats to life and limb, right? 

Unreasonable people - those who are incapable or unwilling to yield to reason, keep on banging their heads against brick walls, metaphorically speaking.  (There's an emoticon for this.) They can't or won't learn from their experiences, as reasonable people can do.  They can't or won't figure out that their efforts will always be futile, no matter how long they try.  "Those who fail to learn from their experiences are doomed to repeat them."

Remember Reverend Jim Jones? 

'nuff said?

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 4

Our physical death is a sacrifice because of our fear of death and physical harm.

I don't fear death.  Where does that leave you?

Come on now, did you need to show an absolutely disturbing image of human suffering to make a point to Thumbelina?

Well sometimes a person needs a rock upside the head to shake up their myopic thought patterns. Besides, with this cultist I find her condenscending behavior along with her running away and not really addressing challenging questions, like BAA's here, to merit any and all shocking facts and behavior from us. She deserves no less!

My sincere thanks to CrazyGuy, Ravenstar and Astreja. smile.png

First, for giving me leave to explain my actions and secondly, for listening to my words with an open mind.  I really appreciate the fact you folks gave me a fair hearing on this one.  I'm also glad that you now understand why I felt obliged to do something that could have been easily misconstrued as needlessly offensive, thoughtless and cruel.  But now you know I'm putting the interests of weaker, more vulnerable people first, so that dysfunctional and predatory people like Thumbelina aren't given the chance to hurt them further.

You're welcome BAA.

Come on now, did you need to show an absolutely disturbing image of human suffering to make a point to Thumbelina?

Well sometimes a person needs a rock upside the head to shake up their myopic thought patterns. Besides, with this cultist I find her condenscending behavior along with her running away and not really addressing challenging questions, like BAA's here, to merit any and all shocking facts and behavior from us. She deserves no less!

I wasn't actually concerned about Thumbelina seeing the image. I was concerned about other people who were actually likeable seeing it.

So this child deserves no more than a rock upside the head?

I was NOT referring to the kid but to the person the writer was addressing by using the video. Please go back to school and learn reading comprehension 101.

• 3 months later...

(Bumped back to the top of the Lion's Den for Thumbelina's benefit.)

Please answer the question I put to you in #1146, months ago.

BAA

I was NOT referring to the kid but to the person the writer was addressing by using the video. Please go back to school and learn reading comprehension 101.

raoul,  major oops on my part.  It seems that you were right and I was wrong.

They told me the day of miracles was over, LOL!

• Super Moderator

Hey! Thumbelina!

There are still unanswered questions here. Do you want to keep your thread going?

Hey! Thumbelina!

There are still unanswered questions here. Do you want to keep your thread going?

Now when has Thumby ever given a real answer to any theological question?  When she likes a few of the ex-C members, and I am certainly not on her list, then she will respond with condescending excuses that do not address the issue.

"cuz I love the lions"

"cuz you don't have spiritual discernment"

"cuz you lions are arrogant and already made up your minds"

"cuz you don't want the whole truth"

"cuz silly lions are blind"

Those are not exact quotes, of course, but that has been the trend as long as I have been here.  Has anybody ever seen Thumby address a real issue in her answers?

• Like 4

Hey! Thumbelina!

There's something I wanted to write on here but I did not put it together yet. :)

• Super Moderator

There's something I wanted to write on here but I did not put it together yet. smile.png

Well, try to do it before Jesus returns, okay? zDuivel7.gif

Hey! Thumbelina!

There's something I wanted to write on here but I did not put it together yet. smile.png

Welcome back, gosh how long has it been? :-)

There's something I wanted to write on here but I did not put it together yet. smile.png

Well, try to do it before Jesus returns, okay? zDuivel7.gif

I knew you  believe that He's coming. You ain't ready though.