Goodbye Jesus

Top 100+ Things I Enjoy Now That I'm An Ex-Christian

Abmin9

Being able to make my music and fiction writing as obscene and fucked up and gross and anti-Christian as I want. I only have to worry about freaking out my family, friends, and colleages. I don't have to worry about pissing off Jesus! Because the thing was, pseudonymous pen names don't fucking work on Jesus, that omniscient voyeuristic asshole.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abmin9

• Vomit Comet

• Citsonga

• lunaticheathen

No longer waking up in the middle of the night from nightmares in which god was sending me to Hell despite me begging him to save me.

Man, I hated those.

#π - Not having to explain how the world is only 6,000 years old and that two or more of every kind of animal were brought onto a wooden ship in order to survive a worldwide flood, with absolutely no evidence to back me up except an ancient book.

Respectfully,

Franciscan Monkey

For me, what's liberating is being able to cuss and blaspheme with impunity. It's rare these days that "Goddammit" doesn't slip out of my mouth, even if only whispered. And I've gotten creative sometimes, with such gems as "God Fucking Dammit" and "Jesus Armageddon Christ." It's liberating to know I don't have to worry about saying the most innocent thing and worrying about being condemned by an angry god with no sense of humor.(When I was a teen, I was so paranoid about taking God's name in vain, I was afraid to say "Gee" or "Gee Whiz". Gotta love how Christianity makes you terrified you'll unwittingly damn yourself. NOT!)

By the way Yahweh can eat my shit and drink my piss.

Things I Enjoy Now That I'm An Ex-Christian

Well,first of all,sanity. Not feeling a criminal because of natural sexual urges would be the second best thing.Also being free to read what I want and listen to whatever music I like.

not worrying all the time if I am sinning or not is my major one.

Reading FUN fairy tales to my children, not obscure tales of men in whales because god wanted them to do something. Pinocchio vs. Jonah.... go for Pinocchio!

* I have 10% more money!

* Parking in the expectant mothers spots and not fearing punishment!

* Doing errands on Sunday mornings before all the crazies get out of church!

* The shock of others who NEVER thought I would leave the faith!

* Posting on this site!

* I have 10% more money!

* Parking in the expectant mothers spots and not fearing punishment!

* Doing errands on Sunday mornings before all the crazies get out of church!

* The shock of others who NEVER thought I would leave the faith!

* Posting on this site!

* Going to movies on Sunday mornings & not feeling guilty.

* Having conversations in Cracker Barrel during early Sun. afternoons about the 'poisonous effects of Christianity'

and really enjoying the reactions of those seated near us.:wicked:

* That wonderful feeling of freedom and living in reality.

* Not being stuck in that constant obsessive-compulsive state of asking gawd for forgiveness for every perceived wrong thing I may have done.

Cheers, Elana

This is a really good topic!

No more going to church on Sundays.

No more "praying the gay away" or feeling bad because of my same-sex attraction.

No more delusions of the Holy Ghost nor the "speaking in tongues" nonsense.

No more tithing and offerings.

No more praying! I fucking hate prayer.

I can be good just because I want to and not because I have to.

I can listen to any music I want to and not have to feel that I'm committing a sin.

No more nightmares about Satan hauling my ass off to hell.

No more worrying about and being frightened about end time prophecy, new world order, and the antichrist bullshit.

No more buying christian books.

666. Not having to shun my eyes from nudity

Actually, quite a number of things (some of which have already been mentioned):

Listening to mainstream music

Not having to think that all non-believers are going to hell

Not having to try to conform my life to an ancient text

Not being mind-fucked with religious indoctrination

Admiring a pretty face and (gasp!) a nice body

Thinking more rationally

Sleeping in on Sunday morning

Not feeling compelled to "share the gospel"

Being more open-minded

The world is more amazing and beautiful in it's own right. Don't need a religious overlay to make things seem more awesome.

Whatever amount I give to a good cause is good. I don't have to feel disappointed that it was less that 10% of my income which "is the tithe, and anything above that is your offering!" In other words, you can't really feel good about giving until you give more than 10%.

To hell with whether or not I am giving 10% of gross or 10 % of net income.

When I give, I give to a cause that does some real good. I'm not paying for computer paper, a housing allowance for a minister, or Sunday school material.

Being free in my thoughts/mind/reasoning. Having lost that cloud that limits one's ability to think clearly - my clarity of thought is more precious to me than most things.

That, and also being able to meet a bunch of cool heathen reprobate atheists from all over the world here on our home-site and actually enjoy your company and conversation :twitch:

I didn't do anything different, I just quit worrying.

what-me-worry-715605.jpg

When I give, I give to a cause that does some real good. I'm not paying for computer paper, a housing allowance for a minister, or Sunday school material.

...or church building projects, pastoral salaries and missionaries spreading religious nonsense....

I know it's been mentioned, but I have to say I fuckin' love to swear, and I have no damn idea why, except that it's so hard to suppress myself all the time and "watch my mouth." I thought I was the only one, and that it was really immature of me. Glad to see I'm in good company. Sometimes a good cuss word expresses the exact magnitude of my feelings when I'm tired of playing nice.

Guest ephymeris

Sexual freedom! I can do what I want with who I now and I'm absolved of guilt from my "sins" of the past. I love being able to be randy when and with who I chose! :wicked:

Edit: Also love never feeling bad for being myself or horror and guilt at those blasphemous thoughts that seem to pop up when I'm trying to pray. I love never having to submit myself to or change myself for anyone!

Having a lesbian relationship as my first ever relationship!! FUCK YEAH!!!!

Doing any drugs I please

DOing anything I want without being judged for it

Not praying before meals in restaurants in the hopes that someone would approach me and ask what I was doing so I could tell them that I was thanking Jesus for my double cheeseburger.

- being able to think clearly, without fear of the "world's wisdom" (hence the name - i do indeed love my brain)

- being at home here on earth and having permission to enjoy this life now

- finding real joy, real freedom, and letting go of fear, and being completely sane

- finding that I am a strong person, and that it's okay to enjoy being me (self-esteem was almost a bad word in my church) :twitch:

- above all else, being able to just enjoy getting to know people who I was formerly supposed to look down on - people are so interesting and cool! (tolerance was an even worse bad word)

- being able to think clearly, without fear of the "world's wisdom" (hence the name - i do indeed love my brain)

- being at home here on earth and having permission to enjoy this life now

- finding real joy, real freedom, and letting go of fear, and being completely sane

- finding that I am a strong person, and that it's okay to enjoy being me (self-esteem was almost a bad word in my church) :twitch:

- above all else, being able to just enjoy getting to know people who I was formerly supposed to look down on - people are so interesting and cool! (tolerance was an even worse bad word)

This is probably the best list I've seen on how it feels to become religion-free. Nice post Brain (now we can take over the world hehe).

you took all the good answers.

not tipping with a tract and actually tipping the waitress generously without the dirty looks of my "christian friends"

hanging out at a starbucks on a sunday watching people rush off to church.

relax or work on a sunday if i so choose.

-Not worrying about whether or not I actually am lusting when I feel any kind of attraction for someone.

-Not feeling bad, or feeling like I'm "falling too far" when I actively lust.

-Getting to spend more of my relationship with my spouse naked and comfortable than I would otherwise.

-Getting to prepare for married life by having sex with my husband.

-Not having to deal with jealousy on either side, viewing sex with previous partners as normal, and not something to be upset by.

-Not worrying about my family and friends being saved. Babies can be born and I don't look at them in their cribs and pray they'll be christians.

-Not having to believe that my grandparents are in hell.

-Being able to get on with my life, being able to get married, have kids, and go to Disney land, which I might not have felt ok with when I believed my purpose in life was evangelism.

-Going to a church that doesn't care if you skip to sleep in.

-My wedding got to be focused on US, not god. No prayers, no Adam and Eve, no political thing about "man and woman". Just us, our love, our friends and family, a little ceremony for my religion, but even that was very much focused on us.

-Crossing my fingers and not worrying if I'm allowing witchcraft a foothold in my life.

-I can listen to songs without turning down the volume to bleep curse words, or having to burn cds to exclude that one track with the "S" word (Garbage and No Doubt, most notably). In fact, now I can listen to Mindless Self Indulgence if I want to.

-I can go to Hollywood, New Orleans, etc without feeling like I am only there to witness. I got to go to Hollywood and actually see the sights!!

-No more feeling like a dirty worthless criminal for being bisexual.

-I can go to Hollywood, New Orleans, etc without feeling like I am only there to witness. I got to go to Hollywood and

I'm from the inland hick part of L.A. County, and every so often they'd bus us down to Venice Beach to hassle the bums and stoners. 98% of the time we got hostility for it, and in hindsight I can empathize completely. I remember thinking "here we are getting cussed out and threatened by street punks when we could be chillin' on the beach instead."

I live in Las Vegas now, and these assholes with bullhorns and signs are all over the Strip on some nights. Fortunately we locals rarely go to the Strip, but it's always irritating to see it. One time I was walking down the Strip and some young eager beaver gets in my way and said "I know why you came here this weekend." I wanted to say "more like two years ago you asshole!!!"