Goodbye Jesus

Did You Find God Again?

Riz

Guest Valk0010

Yes and no to answer your question

I hate labels but if I have to pick I would say agnostic, I believe that there is not enough evidence to decide either way on the existence of god.

But lately I have found my self finding I "god" in things in this world like music and nature.

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Deva

• Riz

I prefer thinking of it as I discovered the true gods.

Love, wisdom, strength, etc are my gods. My pagan gods are more like images I use to put a picture on a picture-less concept.

There's only one God: Reality, and I try to be its prophet.

;)

Prophet or profit?

Now I'm here asking myself the tough questions "What do I really believe?" without the influence of any religion at all, and it's almost daunting, and confusing.

I feel lost in a lot of ways. I spent so long in a religion without ever asking myself what I believed. How sad is that...

One of the interesting things I've noticed is this tendency for humans to want a belief in God that is "comprehensive" and "tangible". That is, they want the "god belief" to explain their purpose in life, or the meaning of their existence, and so on, as if this somehow will provide a sense of self-identity and value. Or something like that.

I sometimes think about my former goldfish. (I no longer keep an aquarium) In their little world, they were concerned with looking for food and swimming around. They perhaps could sense my shadow when I approached, for they would come to the surface and I would scatter the fish food and they would engage in a connection with their god- that being me.

There is really no way they could ever understand what I was, it is beyond their mental capacity, of course. If they could think, for sake of argument, they might postulate all sorts of theories about me, and what was outside of their tank. They might decide what appeases me and what offends me. They might sense that their behavior was important to being fed and kept alive and comfortable. But in the end, none of this speculation would help them, except for giving them a sense of meaning to it all. For they would eventually die, and with that my concern for them would be ended. If they thought there was an afterlife, they were mistaken. But that won't matter, because they are not aware of anything after death. Perhaps they engaged in "Pascal's Wager" too, and had some kind of ritual and shrine in the fish tank which they thought would enable their continued existence into an afterlife. But alas, none of that could come to pass, because I am not capable of resurrecting them, and even if I could, I really don't see the point.

Imagine a god that would do all the things that religion claims, yet never once communicate with you, show himself, give you a complete series of miracles and rewards in return for faithfulness, or manifest himself in any ways that could not be called ambiguous. It is because of this very nature of a mysterious god that I am convinced does not exist; and even if such a god does, it has no interest in us humans, because we are nothing more than clever monkey creatures born out of the slop from which all other organic life forms are made. We are like the gold fish to a god that creates galaxies for breakfast, knows all things, and totally controls the universe and reality. Such a being could not even relate to such a primitive creature as ourselves; just like me and the gold fish. The whole premise is ridiculous, and the proof is in the pudding.

But feel free to "imagine" all the things that you feel that you need in order to give yourself purpose and value. "Imagine" what a convenient god would be like, and what it would "feel like" if it had a personal interest in you. If we were not so stubborn, and passionate about our existence, and didn't mind the mere sixty or seventy years that (potentially) a human has, then we would not really worry so much about these questions.

Make every day count. Make happiness and good moments the meaning of your life. Enjoy being the person you want to be; and be glad that you were lucky to experience existence, if only for a brief season, but a powerful existence compared to most other creatures that crawl upon the earth.

On the other hand, maybe God really likes goldfish. Or monkey brained humans. Maybe god's not as advanced as we think, or maybe he has a fetish about us humanoids. Perhaps he likes having pets, and maybe there is a plan for us.

Whatever the case, I doubt that it falls along the lines of human created mumbo-jumbo religions, or follows the narrative of our myth-making ancestors, all of whom lived in a world of magical processes and superstitions.

However, I sometimes do miss my goldfish.

Well, I certainly enjoyed reading this post, I could not have put it more eloquently myself, well done.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in Ex-Christian Life or in this area. I chose this area because it has to deal with God more specifically...

Did anyone else leave Christianity and find themselves just confused by the question "Is there even a God?" -- you know Christianity was bad for you but, at the same time, you aren't ready to throw in the towel on Divinity all together... or Did anyone leave Christianity and honestly have no clue what they really believed?

That's where I am right now. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been there, and how they began to resolve and answer this question for themselves without falling into yet another religion trap... because sure, Christianity was awful, but any religion right now is unappealing to me.

Now I'm here asking myself the tough questions "What do I really believe?" without the influence of any religion at all, and it's almost daunting, and confusing.

I feel lost in a lot of ways. I spent so long in a religion without ever asking myself what I believed. How sad is that...

Can anyone relate?

I think it's helpful to realize that "God" is not the property of any religion, and any religion that tries to claim they have the truth of it, and that people are responsible to believe what they claim, betrays their ignorance and their blindness. "God" can be experienced in many ways, including the pursuit of science and reason, and in any mundane thing. It is not this, not that. Any anthropomorphic notion, is just that; a face, a mask that people try to put on it. And that mask becomes the things itself, and an easy matter to either "believe in", or reject and debunk. Neither is talking about it, but calling the mask it and making all their concerns about the validity of that object. But "God" is neither object nor subject.

If this sounds obtuse, well it will since "God", whatever that means, is beyond any category of object. Yet that is precisely what religion makes God; an object. For years I've struggled with just that question you raised, and I can only best describe it as believing in God's God. Whatever that undefinable is that all religion's Gods are masks of. And it is no god that has books and record keeping, elves and angels nor heavenly beings looking down from on high. It is infinite and absolute and beyond any category or mask. No religion can own it. It is the essence of all being, and beyond any such trite imagery.

Now to divorce oneself from the primitive past, and to find in one's self the freedom to become what we are, that's the struggle. We push against religion, trying to 'debunk' it, and in my opinion, it's because of trying to find that freedom from it to find the potentials in us, whatever form that takes. Be true to yourself.

Well taking it from the name , this is an Ex christian forum after all , not ex religion itself i suppose. I gotta admit it , main stream religions have ruined all the religion experience for everyone all together.

I personally fail to see the use of religion itself anymore , dont take me wrong i do think we have amazing forgotten deities - but the mainly reason of religion itself was to ask for something , you want an storm? ask the god of rain for it , easy deal right?

We will have to admit our intelligence is starting to progress in an high rate , lets face it , right now all we have over our heads is lady luck watching over us , you may or might not get what you want , you cant expect things to magically appear just because you prayed 3 times , jumped in one foot and touched your nosetip after that.

All i can recommend you is to ask yourself , is it THAT neccesary for me to have an religion? A god? A deity watching my every steps?. Lets face it , first of all , we ALL humans die until we find the potion for eternal youth , were all going to the same dark hole of oblivion - so why crying over spilled milk? Just because your going to cupcakes heaven and hot cakes hell? isnt some tortures in life enough to send someone back inside its mother uterus and never seen anymore? - and second , just think of the amazing amount of humans , animals and else there is in this world , cant anyone of them live theyre lifes withow having to have an magical babysitter over theyre heads and start using theyre own strengh to change the world?

The world will never change until we change ourselfs , religion is an important thing in civilizations past but the thing that sended most of them to the ruin , so you can just pick an god from the list - jesus isnt the first not the last one of gods there are , so get in the line alredy. Personally i feel more comftable having some backup divinity since everyone is into this " god is my hommie yo " , i decided : lets see i want this exact traits in my divinity : knowledge and wisdom , and PRESTO! an list of pretty friends to work with.

So if you ever feel alone or that your life is lacking of something , just close your eyes , breath and think , is it really necesessary in my life? Is there any actual REALISTIC way to solve it or to see it? You will see almost 99% of your problems had an REAL CAUSE and most of the time an REAL SOLUTION.

( To anyone having troubles finding an personal divinity to follow in an more LITTERALY sense if you cant change your own pants : Let the divinity find you in an PERSONAL way , an divinity that just acts to be an selfish maniac and FORCES you to follow it is not an good start point , remember , tell me what you brag about and i will tell you what you LACK from. ) :jesus:

May Papa Jesus and the flying spaguetti monster bless you all , hommies :jesus: :jesus:

Haven't been around in awhile, but thought I'd stop in here since I made the topic ;)

Basically I decided a bit ago that my search for God was simply an attempt to fill the gaping void inside of me left by Christianity. I am slowly being able to let go of the concept of God though, and with it comes the cessation of constantly seeking answers I will honestly never be able to answer until I die anyway... so that's where I am now.

Makes this thread a moot point; however, I did want to address something:

What in the world is the point of having an Ex-Christian Spirituality section if a bunch of atheists are just going to come in and say spirituality/religion/God is pointless?

Just saying. I thought the point of this sub-forum was to discuss non-Christian theism and religion/spirituality. It just seems strange to have posted this here for the purpose of hearing other people's theistic experiences, only to be bombarded by atheism. Which is fine: By atheist, I'm probably an atheist too, but I just figured the purpose of this subforum WAS NOT atheism, lol.

The site is full of atheism... the site is atheism. But I figured this was the one place I could discuss theism with other people who were considering, or following, other theistic paths.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that it really struck me as strange. Why even bother with the sub-forum :D I could have put this thread anywhere and gotten these responses :P

But as I said... moot point. I've moved away from the belief in God. It's just hard to break the cycle/habit, like any addiction.

What in the world is the point of having an Ex-Christian Spirituality section if a bunch of atheists are just going to come in and say spirituality/religion/God is pointless?

Just saying. I thought the point of this sub-forum was to discuss non-Christian theism and religion/spirituality. It just seems strange to have posted this here for the purpose of hearing other people's theistic experiences, only to be bombarded by atheism. Which is fine: By atheist, I'm probably an atheist too, but I just figured the purpose of this subforum WAS NOT atheism, lol.

The site is full of atheism... the site is atheism. But I figured this was the one place I could discuss theism with other people who were considering, or following, other theistic paths.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that it really struck me as strange. Why even bother with the sub-forum :D I could have put this thread anywhere and gotten these responses :P

Tell me about it. There are some very nice people here, some who aren't atheist, but the atmosphere of the "atheist club" seeps into everything. Sometimes makes me feel rather left out. Which I was under the impression, wasn't the point of the site.

Oh well. If I'm told eventually that this IS the atheist/antitheist club, I suppose I'll leave.

Tell me about it. There are some very nice people here, some who aren't atheist, but the atmosphere of the "atheist club" seeps into everything. Sometimes makes me feel rather left out. Which I was under the impression, wasn't the point of the site.

Oh well. If I'm told eventually that this IS the atheist/antitheist club, I suppose I'll leave.

I hope you don't leave, please stick around. I have never been able to consider myself an atheist. I just don't believe in the God portrayed in the Bible. For awhile I considered myself a pantheist of a sort, having been inspired by Spinoza. Now I don't know. Maybe "what is" is God. I don't object to the idea of a God or Gods per se, just not the absurd BibleGod.

I hope you don't leave, please stick around. I have never been able to consider myself an atheist. I just don't believe in the God portrayed in the Bible. For awhile I considered myself a pantheist of a sort, having been inspired by Spinoza. Now I don't know. Maybe "what is" is God. I don't object to the idea of a God or Gods per se, just not the absurd BibleGod.

Thanks Deva. I do believe in kinds of gods, more like divine immanence, which is similar to Spinoza, I suppose. And I'd hope we can all agree on this site that the Bible's god is absurd/evil/stupid/cruel/what have you. That's basically why I'm here - I used to be enslaved to that god, real or not, and I am no longer chained to him/it.

Thanks Deva. I do believe in kinds of gods, more like divine immanence, which is similar to Spinoza, I suppose. And I'd hope we can all agree on this site that the Bible's god is absurd/evil/stupid/cruel/what have you. That's basically why I'm here - I used to be enslaved to that god, real or not, and I am no longer chained to him/it.

Yes, that is the major factor that unites us - we reject Bible God. Not all conceptions of God are evil/stupid and cruel.

What in the world is the point of having an Ex-Christian Spirituality section if a bunch of atheists are just going to come in and say spirituality/religion/God is pointless? Just saying. I thought the point of this sub-forum was to discuss non-Christian theism and religion/spirituality.

You're right. You make a good point. Simply saying something is pointless is not really having a reasoned dialog. I agree. We know atheists think it's pointless. So what's the point in stating the obvious? Doesn't really contribute to a discussion amongst those interested in dialoging about other ways of having spiritual pursuits beyond Christianity. Does it?

It just seems strange to have posted this here for the purpose of hearing other people's theistic experiences, only to be bombarded by atheism.

Indeed.

I hope anything in what little time I have to contribute helped to balance that out with a reasoned perspective on these matters. Intelligent pursuit of spiritual ideas is of great value to me. I find the rhetoric of those who deride others who do so by mocking it saying thing like saying "woo woo", delusional, etc, to be themselves sorely lacking in anything of true substance to the discussion.

I respect science, and reason, and rationality, but that sort of rhetoric is not engaging in or exercise any of those. And any discussion of spirituality, by those in particular who have seen the failings of the Christian system and are trying to build out of the past into the future and exploring possibilities for themselves, are to be commended for the embrace of liberty. And to deride them, instead of engage them in reasoned dialog as true, genuine freethinkers, is barely a shake above the religious mentality they seek to put down.

Why can't this be as you say a discussion of options beyond philosophical/religious materialism without some feeling a compulsion to have to call it "woo woo". Seriously, why the insecurity? I don't see it any other way than that. I frankly am sick of it, and anyone who wishes to challenge me head on, I'm certainly not concerned about responding with reason, research, and intelligence to any who think they have it figured out enough to put others down like that.

Seriously. I am sick of it. I am bored with it. To make that perfectly clear. This forum was set aside for these sorts of discussions, and if you're so insecure you need to attack those of different views, then take me on if you care to. I respect your right to voice your point of view without calling you things like "the village atheist".

Sucks to hear that? "Woo woo".

This is one of the difficulties, and why this forum was created. It was intended as a safe-haven from those who are feel a need to convert others to the anti-religious strain of atheism. It seems the tide is sweeping over the dike that was built to keep open discussion safe from that. An unfortunate truth is shown in this.

You've made a powerful point and I have heard it. It's unfortunate, and I apologize this has happened. I considered myself atheist for many years, but I have moved beyond it, as well as its sister. I had seen myself far more in the category of atheism like Sartre and Camus, and nothing remotely like Dawkins and Harris and the anti-religion crowd, but I've been allowing myself to take it to new places that don't settle into any camp. If you are actually interested in a serious, reasoned discussion in matter of beliefs and spirituality, I can certainly provide that for you if you wish.

I'm sorry for the out-lashing here. I think that's my first ever here. But it has really grown wearisome to me, intellectually, and in every other way 'spiritually'. I respect the membership here quite highly and this is a challenge to take it up a notch to something better than this. Reason. Heart. Truth. This is the point. Not just another "I've got the Truth and you don't", version of Christianity. Move beyond it.

Why can't this be as you say a discussion of options beyond philosophical/religious materialism without some feeling a compulsion to have to call it "woo woo". Seriously, why the insecurity? I don't see it any other way than that. I frankly am sick of it, and anyone who wishes to challenge me head on, I'm certainly not concerned about responding with reason, research, and intelligence to any who think they have it figured out enough to put others down like that.

Seriously. I am sick of it. I am bored with it. To make that perfectly clear. This forum was set aside for these sorts of discussions, and if you're so insecure you need to attack those of different views, then take me on if you care to. I respect your right to voice your point of view without calling you things like "the village atheist".

THANK YOU!!!

What in the world is the point of having an Ex-Christian Spirituality section if a bunch of atheists are just going to come in and say spirituality/religion/God is pointless? Just saying. I thought the point of this sub-forum was to discuss non-Christian theism and religion/spirituality.

You're right. You make a good point. Simply saying something is pointless is not really having a reasoned dialog. I agree. We know atheists think it's pointless. So what's the point in stating the obvious? Doesn't really contribute to a discussion amongst those interested in dialoging about other ways of having spiritual pursuits beyond Christianity. Does it?

That's why I mostly shut up in this section. :grin:

Antlerman wrote:

We know atheists think it's pointless. So what's the point in stating the obvious?

Yep, it's pointless. I mean... Well, what you said. I mean, it's pointless to state the obvious. :grin:

I don't usually counter people's positions regarding the supernatural unless it relates to Christianity, but sometimes questions get asked that seem relatively neutral, like "Are there ghosts?"

Some questions are really deep and deal with the nature of reality and our perceptions. "Is there more to the universe than meets the eye?" I enjoy participating in those discussions, particularly when there are natural explanations for mysterious events. I try not to be dismissive of others' opinions, but I don't feel I should exclude myself if I can offer another opinion.

Should the rules be amended to not allow materialists to post in this section?

Some questions are really deep and deal with the nature of reality and our perceptions. "Is there more to the universe than meets the eye?" I enjoy participating in those discussions, particularly when there are natural explanations for mysterious events. I try not to be dismissive of others' opinions, but I don't feel I should exclude myself if I can offer another opinion.

Should the rules be amended to not allow materialists to post in this section?

Oh, no, no. Not at all. Certainly putting out points of views in the interest of dialog are more than welcome. To me, that's what it's all about. My only complaint is the dismissive, religious rhetoric of essentially, "That's nonsense, that's stupid, that's "woo woo", that's idiotic", blah, blah. That's not discussion. That's stating the obvious that they have a religious opinion. That variety of Atheist thinks everything not-how-they-think is "stupid". I challenge that as itself less than rational. What you said isn't that.

Actually, I know you respect others with different points of view, and you enjoy engaging them in the interest of discussion. I admire that.

Adding some thoughts to this after my comments last night. I think what is bothersome is that in a discussion where ExChristians who are not Atheists are talking about how they see God, or other non-atheist points of view, to have an atheist in the conversation saying things like "imaginary" or "invisible friend" is not engaging in the actual topic, but merely stating contrary, and frankly offense rhetoric to those who don't consider "God" to be either imaginary, an invisible friend, woo-woo, etc. If you join in as an atheist in a discussion started to talk about "Did you find God again," then I don't see how that is actually engaging in the discussion. If I were an atheist sitting in such a discussion and that's all I had to offer, I would not engage. In a nutshell, the appropriate response to the question would simply be "No," not your opinion of what a God belief is to you. That's stating the obvious and only irritates those who care to have a discussion. Why is it necessary? I don't see it.

Now, to those who want to pull out this whole "PC" crap, I'm going to stamp that into the ground before it is even attempted as a defense. This is not political correctness. It's basic manners. It's basic respect of others. Taking a dislike of 'political correctness' and calling any sort of criticism of one's behavior as inappropriate as "PC", is frankly juvenile. You can say whatever you want about it, but just because you have that freedom doesn't mean we can't ask that it be not exercised in forums which are specifically designated for civilized, polite, respectful, and intelligent discourse. Take it to the Lion's Den, and if someone wants to mock an atheist to his face for being silly, arrogant, or whatever they want, they can do it there. But to be clear, I wouldn't consider that an actual reasoned discussion.

This site is NOT an Atheism site. Atheists and all others who have left Christianity who are needing to sort out their junk, and explore the future for themselves in the limitless possibilities that Freedom offers are welcome and supported here. This is a diverse site and seeks to support NO single belief, such as atheism. There are sites that are specifically atheist, specifically religious, and those that are specifically anti-religious. This site is none of those. And that's what attracts me to it. It's wide open to freedom of thought and belief. And our greatest strength that is beyond all the rest, is our ability to be together as diverse group. Being "right" is too easy. Being greater than our points of views and opinions, is far superior and surpasses all religious views, including atheism.

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you from me, too.

While I'm mostly atheistic, I am curious about God-concepts, but not in discussions with that kind of language to filter.

Phanta

This site is NOT an Atheism site. Atheists and all others who have left Christianity who are needing to sort out their junk, and explore the future for themselves in the limitless possibilities that Freedom offers are welcome and supported here. This is a diverse site and seeks to support NO single belief, such as atheism. There are sites that are specifically atheist, specifically religious, and those that are specifically anti-religious. This site is none of those. And that's what attracts me to it. It's wide open to freedom of thought and belief. And our greatest strength that is beyond all the rest, is our ability to be together as diverse group. Being "right" is too easy. Being greater than our points of views and opinions, is far superior and surpasses all religious views, including atheism.

Thank you for saying that, AM. I agree totally.

I think it's helpful to realize that "God" is not the property of any religion, and any religion that tries to claim they have the truth of it, and that people are responsible to believe what they claim, betrays their ignorance and their blindness. "God" can be experienced in many ways, including the pursuit of science and reason, and in any mundane thing. It is not this, not that. Any anthropomorphic notion, is just that; a face, a mask that people try to put on it. And that mask becomes the things itself, and an easy matter to either "believe in", or reject and debunk. Neither is talking about it, but calling the mask it and making all their concerns about the validity of that object. But "God" is neither object nor subject.

Part of one of my favorite songs by my favorite group, Nightwish:

The Riddler

Riddler Riddler ask me why

The birds fly free on a mackerel sky

Ask me whither goes the wind

Whence the endless tick-tick stream begins

Make me guess if the earth is flat or round

Set a guessing if fantasies are unbound

If tales aren't just for children to see

That it's peace if sleep walks with me

As you wish

For kingdom come

The one to know all the answers

You think you dwell in wisdoms sea

Still sweet ignorance is the key

To a poet's paradise

Challenge the Riddler and you will see...

Riddler Riddler ask me why

All mothers beneath the Earth and sky

Hold their children's hands for a while

Their hearts forever - yours and mine

Make me wonder what's the meaning of life

What's the use to be born and then die

Make me guess who's the one

Behind the mask of Father and Son

Bold is mine.

This is exactly what you are speaking of AM. You, I, and many others, understand this.

That's why I mostly shut up in this section. :grin:

Mr. Hans...you don't fool me any. I know how you think. :D

Thank you for saying that, AM. I agree totally.

Me too. When I first came here, I was an athiest. Now that I have changed, it is still nice to be able to come here. I've been here off and on (mostly on) since 2003 I believe. I can't see myself ever leaving for long. It's a wonderful place.

Me too. When I first came here, I was an athiest. Now that I have changed, it is still nice to be able to come here. I've been here off and on (mostly on) since 2003 I believe. I can't see myself ever leaving for long. It's a wonderful place.

Yes, there is something about the unique free exchange of various ideas that keeps me here long after I have resolved the Christian vs. not Christian issue.

Agree, but only as long as we can give atheists a place or a chance to express their opinions too somewhere on this site. Of course, "Theism & Spiritualism" is not that section. This part of the site should be where non-atheists can discuss in a civil manner.

Mr. Hans...you don't fool me any. I know how you think. :D

:grin: Hey, get out of my brain, you!