Goodbye Jesus

Did You Find God Again?

Riz

This site is NOT an Atheism site. Atheists and all others who have left Christianity who are needing to sort out their junk, and explore the future for themselves in the limitless possibilities that Freedom offers are welcome and supported here. This is a diverse site and seeks to support NO single belief, such as atheism. There are sites that are specifically atheist, specifically religious, and those that are specifically anti-religious. This site is none of those. And that's what attracts me to it. It's wide open to freedom of thought and belief. And our greatest strength that is beyond all the rest, is our ability to be together as diverse group. Being "right" is too easy. Being greater than our points of views and opinions, is far superior and surpasses all religious views, including atheism.

Agree, but only as long as we can give atheists a place or a chance to express their opinions too somewhere on this site. Of course, "Theism & Spiritualism" is not that section. This part of the site should be where non-atheists can discuss in a civil manner.

I wouldn't say atheists are unwelcome though. It's just a matter of appropriate discourse that treats those at the table with respect to their feelings and points of view. Are the comments pertinent and relevant, even if they are from the atheist perspective? I don't see restricting participants being necessary, but would just ask for some common courtesy and respect to the purpose of these discussions. If everyone has that, then anyone is welcome.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Deva

• Riz

I wouldn't say atheists are unwelcome though. It's just a matter of appropriate discourse that treats those at the table with respect to their feelings and points of view. Are the comments pertinent and relevant, even if they are from the atheist perspective? I don't see restricting participants being necessary, but would just ask for some common courtesy and respect to the purpose of these discussions. If everyone has that, then anyone is welcome.

Of course.

But what I've seen being the difficult part is to know when and where to draw the line. Is calling a religion "dumb" or "false" derogatory? How about "silly" or "untrue"? And let's say a theist says, "Atheism is stupid." Would that go over the line, or should it be allowed here? Should quoting the Bible that unbelievers are fools a derogatory action?

I know what you want to achieve, but I also see the danger of restricting people's right to voice their opinions even when they want to express that something is "silly" or "dumb." These statements are claims of value. Someone feels this way and wants to express it. Of course it doesn't necessarily promote a continuation of discourse because it's a show-stopper phrase in a civil discussion.

With that beings said, I agree that this section, "Theism and Spirituality," is kept clean from any and all derogatory and such value claims that stop a civil discourse. As long as those who wants to express their feelings (including "silly" or "woo-woo") can do so in the Rants section or Lion's Den.

Of course.

But what I've seen being the difficult part is to know when and where to draw the line. Is calling a religion "dumb" or "false" derogatory? How about "silly" or "untrue"? And let's say a theist says, "Atheism is stupid." Would that go over the line, or should it be allowed here? Should quoting the Bible that unbelievers are fools a derogatory action?

I know what you want to achieve, but I also see the danger of restricting people's right to voice their opinions even when they want to express that something is "silly" or "dumb." These statements are claims of value. Someone feels this way and wants to express it. Of course it doesn't necessarily promote a continuation of discourse because it's a show-stopper phrase in a civil discussion.

With that beings said, I agree that this section, "Theism and Spirituality," is kept clean from any and all derogatory and such value claims that stop a civil discourse. As long as those who wants to express their feelings (including "silly" or "woo-woo") can do so in the Rants section or Lion's Den.

I think this expresses what I'm saying.

I think the guiding principle is everyone consider it first, a discussion about having and practicing or exploring spiritual matters. That's what the forum is about. Second, that if someone who doesn't have any interest themselves in that, but finds the discussion worth joining in on, that the discussion is interesting, that they strongly bear in mind the feelings of trust that everyone in the discussion is entering into it with. To suddenly make dismissive editorializing comments without regard for another in that setting is a betray of individual trust, and threatens participation in these discussions. It goes in all directions, and I would expect someone voicing objection when that trust is violated, whether its a theist or an atheist entering that discussion.

As for the Lion's Den and someone making comments like "woo woo", that is their choice, but that doesn't mean they're not going to get a slap in the mouth from people for offending others in that discussion. They're not violating a forum rule, but those in those discussions are free to call them on those sorts of derogatory comments, or call them a village atheist in exchange, if it so suits them. Telling them in there that it's offensive, is a right of someone in that conversation. It's not a censoring of speech. No one is saying they can't say it, but they shouldn't expect everyone to just lay down and take it either. If I object in there, it's not as a moderator. It never has been. In here, it's a forum rules violation, on top of just bad manners.

I think the guiding principle is everyone consider it first, a discussion about having and practicing or exploring spiritual matters. That's what the forum is about. Second, that if someone who doesn't have any interest themselves in that, but finds the discussion worth joining in on, that the discussion is interesting, that they strongly bear in mind the feelings of trust that everyone in the discussion is entering into it with. To suddenly make dismissive editorializing comments without regard for another in that setting is a betray of individual trust, and threatens participation in these discussions. It goes in all directions, and I would expect someone voicing objection when that trust is violated, whether its a theist or an atheist entering that discussion.

As for the Lion's Den and someone making comments like "woo woo", that is their choice, but that doesn't mean they're not going to get a slap in the mouth from people for offending others in that discussion. They're not violating a forum rule, but those in those discussions are free to call them on sorts of rhetorical comments, or call them a village atheist in exchange, if it so suits them. Telling them in there that it's offensive, is a right of someone in that conversation. It's not a censoring of speech. No one is saying they can't say it, but they shouldn't expect everyone to just lay down and take it either. If I object in there, it's not as a moderator. It never has been. In here, it's a forum rules violation, on top of just bad manners.

We have reached a mutual understanding.

(I wanted to sound a little formal there. :grin:)

We have reached a mutual understanding.

(I wanted to sound a little formal there. :grin:)

Are you being a little smart ass. :HaHa: (I know I sound pretty formal in my writing).

Are you being a little smart ass.

Always. I never stopped. :grin:

(I know I sound pretty formal in my writing).

Nah. That wasn't it.

It was a correlation to that we're supposed to have a decorous discourse. It wasn't proper to use pauper parlance. (Yes, I'm a master of alliteration!)

Mr. Hans...you don't fool me any. I know how you think. :D

:grin: Hey, get out of my brain, you!

:woohoo:

It was a correlation to that we're supposed to have a decorous discourse. It wasn't proper to use pauper parlance. (Yes, I'm a master of alliteration!)

huh? What the...

Where's my dictionary?

I just like that there is a forum on this site that is open to a possibility outside of the dualistic "christian or atheist" that lots of sites seem to have. One of my main objections to christianity was simplistic duality, and I had no wish to entertain it by thinking I had only unbelief in everything spiritual to go to when I left. Besides, atheism just doesn't fit me. Being christian didn't fit, and it drove me nuts trying to be one.

And it fills a spot where just going to pagan-geared sites just didn't seem to quite fix. For one, even I find some types of pagans/Goddess worshipers on the "woo-woo" side, and believe it or not, some can get dogmatic. I don't need that shit. I didn't like people telling me what to believe in christianity, why would I want it from someone else as well? Guess that's what gets to me about a few atheists too - calling me stupid or saying I'm "entertaining another fairy-tale delusion" is basically telling me I shouldn't believe as I do. I don't need that either, even if your view is more "rational."

Also, it's good to have some place to vent the anger I still have towards christianity. I think I need that right now, and this entire site serves that, and I thank everyone keeping it around. I'd just also like the space to believe any OTHER crazy shit I want. :)

huh? What the...

Where's my dictionary?

:grin:

• 1 month later...

Well, I still worship God and I still believe in spiritual realms beyond the physical realm. This is due to personal spiritual and psychic experiences with God, spirits, and astral travel, among a few other things that I don't expect anyone else to believe. I suppose for me it was never a question of not believing in God - at my lowest point I was cursing God because he didn't exist :P There was never any stern "God does not exist" feeling and there probably won't be. My de-conversion was a slow process of years, and it was more of an unfolding than a removal. What I mean is that I no longer hate Christianity like I once did. I still pray to Jesus because that's what I grew up with and it worked for me as a kid. I don't mean that all my prayers were answered, I mean that it fit with my life. I even started saying Hail Mary and various traditional Catholic/Orthodox prayers after I de-converted (I grew up Pentecostal and there was never a single unified prayer. We didn't even say Our Father.)

The main thing I found is that as an angry ex-Christian I was still obsessed with Christianity. I couldn't escape it. I was a perfect example of my belief that "what you hate is what you become". Only once I re-embraced Christianity to a point where I was able to take from it what I wanted and leave the rest was I able to be free from it. It sounds weird, but it allowed me to continue on with my life without the hang-ups. I loved it in order to leave it. I no longer get mad at Christians or Christianity in general. I even visited my old church again recently after years of not going and I was completely peaceful and happy. I didn't agree with most of what was said but it didn't matter - I felt finally free.

At this point, I worship God in various forms. I feel like the name is not as important as the essence. I sometimes call God Jesus, Vishnu, Shiva, Allah, etc. but I still feel that I am referring to the divine creative principle and ground of the universe. I suppose it seems a bit perennialist, but I know that each religion has major differences and they aren't simply reflections of each other. I just believe that it's much easier and more rewarding to look at every religion that interests me rather than close myself off to just one.

I've been criticized by family for creating my own religion, which is a valid statement, but I don't see why it's a problem. I don't have a creed or doctrine, so there's nothing for me to preach or evangelize about. I get along with all people of faith - we don't argue or debate, only discuss. I like to learn about the various belief systems of the world. In my opinion, most religious people have their "own religion" anyway, even those who belong to formal churches. They pick and choose what they want to believe just like me.

This may be confusing but I hope it makes some kind of sense. For me it's not really a question of "again" but rather "after" Christianity.

If you believe in life after death, so what? A part of me hopes there is some sort of after-life--not Christian Heaven where apparently you spend all your time worshipping God and happily watching your 'unsaved' family roasting in hell--but rather a place where I can spend forever with my husband and daughter. Can't think of anything more awesome, really!

Hell is where you spend eternity with your spouse, but you've been divorced.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:17:

The main thing I found is that as an angry ex-Christian I was still obsessed with Christianity. I couldn't escape it. I was a perfect example of my belief that "what you hate is what you become". Only once I re-embraced Christianity to a point where I was able to take from it what I wanted and leave the rest was I able to be free from it. It sounds weird, but it allowed me to continue on with my life without the hang-ups. I loved it in order to leave it. I no longer get mad at Christians or Christianity in general. I even visited my old church again recently after years of not going and I was completely peaceful and happy. I didn't agree with most of what was said but it didn't matter - I felt finally free.

At this point, I worship God in various forms. I feel like the name is not as important as the essence. I sometimes call God Jesus, Vishnu, Shiva, Allah, etc. but I still feel that I am referring to the divine creative principle and ground of the universe. I suppose it seems a bit perennialist, but I know that each religion has major differences and they aren't simply reflections of each other. I just believe that it's much easier and more rewarding to look at every religion that interests me rather than close myself off to just one.

I've been criticized by family for creating my own religion, which is a valid statement, but I don't see why it's a problem. I don't have a creed or doctrine, so there's nothing for me to preach or evangelize about. I get along with all people of faith - we don't argue or debate, only discuss. I like to learn about the various belief systems of the world. In my opinion, most religious people have their "own religion" anyway, even those who belong to formal churches. They pick and choose what they want to believe just like me.

Thank you for your response, Jovan, and welcome to the forums.

What you are saying makes sense to me. I am now Buddhist, but my Christian background is so deeply ingrained it seems to be impossible to completely jettison. I finally said to myself - why is it necessary to throw the whole out? It may be necessary to embrace elements of it to find peace. And why not?

To me, the figure of Jesus can be re-imagined or re-defined or re-whatever to divorce the image of Jesus from the crazy theology that has developed over the centuries. To me, there are broad similarities in ethics with other religions (certainly Buddhism) and the mystical side of Christianity is very interesting to explore.

Each to their own. Forget about the criticism. It works for you. As you point out, they pick and choose as well. They just don't have the insight to realize it, and you do. Congratulations. And I mean that sincerely.

Thank you for your response, Jovan, and welcome to the forums.

What you are saying makes sense to me. I am now Buddhist, but my Christian background is so deeply ingrained it seems to be impossible to completely jettison. I finally said to myself - why is it necessary to throw the whole out? It may be necessary to embrace elements of it to find peace. And why not?

To me, the figure of Jesus can be re-imagined or re-defined or re-whatever to divorce the image of Jesus from the crazy theology that has developed over the centuries. To me, there are broad similarities in ethics with other religions (certainly Buddhism) and the mystical side of Christianity is very interesting to explore.

Each to their own. Forget about the criticism. It works for you. As you point out, they pick and choose as well. They just don't have the insight to realize it, and you do. Congratulations. And I mean that sincerely.

Thank you Deva. It's good to finally join after reading the forums and website for years! Yeah you're right, I feel like if I completely remove everything I once held dear I'll just replace it with something else. It's almost like an immunity - my knowledge of my past gives me a chance to be a different person than who I used to be. Buddhism helped me a lot when I was deconverting - the Dhammapada is one of the best books I've ever read. I don't consider myself a Buddhist but I've learned a lot from Buddhism. And yes, there are similar ethics if you consider passages like the Sermon on the Mount.

I feel like much of what happens to Buddhism also happens to Christianity; because they both came from such strong spiritual/moral figures, there's a tendency to focus on their personality rather than what they are saying. I also think that the Pure Land Buddhism is very similar to Christianity - how do you feel about that? From what I've read of it, repeating Amitabha Buddha's name 10 times guarantees one's rebirth in heaven/Nirvana. It's a curious divulgence from the philosophy at Buddhism's core. And do you belong to any specific Buddhist school?

Thanks. I don't know much, but admitting that fact is refreshing :P

I feel like much of what happens to Buddhism also happens to Christianity; because they both came from such strong spiritual/moral figures, there's a tendency to focus on their personality rather than what they are saying. I also think that the Pure Land Buddhism is very similar to Christianity - how do you feel about that? From what I've read of it, repeating Amitabha Buddha's name 10 times guarantees one's rebirth in heaven/Nirvana. It's a curious divulgence from the philosophy at Buddhism's core. And do you belong to any specific Buddhist school?

I don't really know that much about Pure Land Buddhism except they do a certain chant and I think they revere a certain text. Sometimes things in Buddhism can superficially seem like Christianity but in fact are not. I can't really comment on it since I have never really studied that particular branch of Buddhism.

I am in the Nyingma School of Vajrayana Buddhism. In Vajrayana Buddhism it is said that samsara and nirvana are the same. This is because everything is emptiness. You hear talk of other realms, but this does not have to be understood as literal places, like heaven is thought of by Christians.

I don't know much either.:)

Once I came to the conclusion that god was in my head, that I was praying to a compartmentalized part of myself and not to a higher power, I lost my faith in xtianity. After that discomforting awakening, I found it impossible to see any religion or god concept in any other way. If my idea of god had simply been a part of me all along, then surely I don't require a religion to access that, just a new way of thinking about it.

That being said, I know many people who still believe in a god. I just couldn't, it would have been intellectually dishonest of me to have risked putting myself back at risk for hyper religiosity. I do think it is good advice to wait a year before committing to any new faith, so that you aren't filling a god-shaped whole with an equally square peg.

I hope that you find whatever it is you need to come to terms with the loss of your faith in xtianity, be that religion, really good poetry, nature, or what have you :)

I've never "felt God" in some rapturous personal ecstasy. But recently (well after I have been out of Christianity), I have had a sense of the way of things, and I don't mind calling it God. It is most like the Tao, from what I know of various belief systems (not much). There does seem to me to be a way for me to follow, and ways for others to follow, that are based on certain general principles but with much variety among individuals because we as a single person is limited and can only experience portions of The path.

Studies on self-organized systems seems promising in illuminating the path. I'm still developing my thinking in this area.

Phanta

I did. I've gone through quite a few religions, myself.

I can still connect with that wonderful, peaceful, joyful feeling that I called "god" once. It allows me to simply enjoy living and feel connected with all things. I often hear a very loving, compassionate voice when I'm in that state bringing me truthful insights, advice, comfort, and revelations about things...the voice I called "God" once.

It feels very much like talking to another being, but I really don't think there are actually any godly beings or entities running the universe. I've heard it called "Higher Self," "Inner Voice," "Inner Wisdom," "Buddha Nature," "God Nature," and a whole bunch of other things along with a whole bunch of theories and beliefs about it.

Personally, I just don't really care very much what it is, or have any beliefs surrounding it anymore. It just isn't necessary.

Well, I still worship God and I still believe in spiritual realms beyond the physical realm. This is due to personal spiritual and psychic experiences with God, spirits, and astral travel, among a few other things that I don't expect anyone else to believe. I suppose for me it was never a question of not believing in God - at my lowest point I was cursing God because he didn't exist :P There was never any stern "God does not exist" feeling and there probably won't be. My de-conversion was a slow process of years, and it was more of an unfolding than a removal. What I mean is that I no longer hate Christianity like I once did. I still pray to Jesus because that's what I grew up with and it worked for me as a kid. I don't mean that all my prayers were answered, I mean that it fit with my life. I even started saying Hail Mary and various traditional Catholic/Orthodox prayers after I de-converted (I grew up Pentecostal and there was never a single unified prayer. We didn't even say Our Father.)

This may be confusing but I hope it makes some kind of sense. For me it's not really a question of "again" but rather "after" Christianity.

That's interesting. I agree with you about most Christian's having their own religion. Do you ever feel guilt when you engage in spirituality, since it's not the same as what your Church used to teach?

I don't really know that much about Pure Land Buddhism except they do a certain chant and I think they revere a certain text. Sometimes things in Buddhism can superficially seem like Christianity but in fact are not. I can't really comment on it since I have never really studied that particular branch of Buddhism.

I am in the Nyingma School of Vajrayana Buddhism. In Vajrayana Buddhism it is said that samsara and nirvana are the same. This is because everything is emptiness. You hear talk of other realms, but this does not have to be understood as literal places, like heaven is thought of by Christians.

I don't know much either.:)

Yeah. I can understand that because it's said that nirvana isn't really something/somewhere you reach but something that was always there that you wake up to, right? Are offerings made to devas/spirits or whatever, or is it all seen as an elaborate myth for enlightenment?

My Hindu friend from India once told me that most Hindus don't actually believe in all of the literal miracles and incarnations/stories of God (e.g. some of the stories of the Ramayana, like Hanuman and Ravana) but they see them as metaphors for enlightenment. I suppose you can't ask every Hindu whether they believe it's literally true but I was definitely surprised by that. You don't hear that much except from very liberal Christians. It's considered blasphemous for a Christian to say, for example, that the parting of the Red Sea didn't really happen. I felt for years as a Christian that not every myth was true, but I knew it wasn't wise to admit that lest I invoke the wrath of both God and man :D I always wonder to what degree each religious myth is based in reality.

That's interesting. I agree with you about most Christian's having their own religion. Do you ever feel guilt when you engage in spirituality, since it's not the same as what your Church used to teach?

No, I don't feel guilty because I believe it's better that I incorrectly assume good things about God rather than assume it's a murderous tyrant. Plus it's not like I sacrifice animals or anything :P It's nice to pray now and not worry about the end of the world, sinners, hell, etc. I hate that "Oh God, SAVE THEIR SOULS! *sob*" prayer I used to do. I enjoy practicing my spirituality because it's my personal thing and I don't feel pressured to convert anyone.

But I often question things like what exactly God is and what will happen after we die. I never believe in the entire Bible and Christian concept of God but I think maybe *some* Christians have a certain spiritual power that is connected to their religion. I'm not sure what the connection is, though. I think it has something to do with their openness towards the concept of spirituality, which applies to people of many faiths and practices. It's like how if you are interested in something, you may pursue and recognize it more than someone else. I know that it isn't only Christians or even believers who have those types of experiences - I've talked to atheists and other religious people who've described supernatural/psychic experiences. I can't validate anyone else's experience, of course, and that's partly why I deconverted. I felt silly for basing my whole religion on other peoples' opinions. Consquently, I have a lot fewer strong beliefs as an ex-Christian, but at least I know I don't fabricate my own experiences.

Maybe that connection feeling comes from the fact that I went to a charismatic Pentecostal church my whole life, where people danced on chairs and kicked and screamed on the ground... lol. Does any other ex-Christian who believes in God still have "holdovers" from Christianity, or did you completely wipe away everything you ever believed?