Goodbye Jesus

The Material?

Ancey

Now, you know that houses exist. And I am beginning to suspect that I cannot take you seriously.

I am near certain that there are more than four correct answers. There may be 10,000 legitimate answers. But what do you think of the notion that these 10,000 answers will fall within the 4 categories that Aristotle described?

This is not unlike the myriad of statements which begin with, "There are X types of people in the world:" Invariably, these sorts of classifications end up generally being true, but don't really tell us anything about the world around us.

A couple of my favourites:

"I only drink on two occasions: When I'm alone, or when I'm with someone."

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who know binary, and those who don't."

You may choose to take me seriously or not, but the fact of the matter is, such categorizations are the stuff of armchair philosophers everywhere. Materialism doesn't preclude the concepts of efficient, formal and final causes; so the claim that materialism misses these concepts is incorrect.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Legion

• PaulQ

• Shyone

• Antlerman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... such categorizations are the stuff of armchair philosophers everywhere. Materialism doesn't preclude the concepts of efficient, formal and final causes; so the claim that materialism misses these concepts is incorrect.

Okay, you're not serious. Carry on.

Aristotle is well known for his armchair philosophizing.

Edit: For that matter can there be an armchair philosopher? It is a discipline open to all and practiced by all in some capacity.

... such categorizations are the stuff of armchair philosophers everywhere. Materialism doesn't preclude the concepts of efficient, formal and final causes; so the claim that materialism misses these concepts is incorrect.

Okay, you're not serious. Carry on.

I can only be as serious on this topic as you are.