Goodbye Jesus

See you at the Pole Day

Guest questioner4

Actually public prayer is against the Bible. Jesus told his disciples to go to their rooms and pray in secret. Not stand in the corners and show everyone how wonderful faithful and religious they are.

Based on the attitude many fundie-Christians that has been visiting us, I'd say that many modern Christians are exact copies of the Pharisees. Judging others, and not showing love, peace and compassion to the poor, needy and sinners like Jesus did. Instead they shout their faith on the roof tops to let everyone know what they believe. They condemn and criticize everyone around them that doesn't believe like they do. Modern Christians are today Pharisees, and if Jesus actually did come today, they would not recognize him and he wouldn't recognize them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Fweethawt

• Caretaker

• Totallyatpeace

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if you were aware of this, but that's one of the major criticisms brought against mainstream Christianity from within the faith. Calling other churches "Pharisaical" or "hyper-legalist" is something of a cliche these days. A lot of Christians find the bigotry and hypocrisy of much of the Christian church apalling. As well they should.

Really isn't this some form of hidden discrimination?

If they're trying to hide it, they're not doing a very good job.

A lot of Christians find the bigotry and hypocrisy of much of the Christian church apalling. As well they should.

That was one of the reasons I left, but not the only one.

Actually public prayer is against the Bible. Jesus told his disciples to go to their rooms and pray in secret. Not stand in the corners and show everyone how wonderful faithful and religious they are.

Based on the attitude many fundie-Christians that has been visiting us, I'd say that many modern Christians are exact copies of the Pharisees. Judging others, and not showing love, peace and compassion to the poor, needy and sinners like Jesus did. Instead they shout their faith on the roof tops to let everyone know what they believe. They condemn and criticize everyone around them that doesn't believe like they do. Modern Christians are today Pharisees, and if Jesus actually did come today, they would not recognize him and he wouldn't recognize them.

Can I get a big AMEN?

Xtian thinking is delusional for a number of reasons, but I'm always in awe of how they easily and constantly overlook this biblical principle. It's written in very plain, straightforward language and not only Christ but Paul go back to it again and again - don't go around making public displays of your faith. Don't do things to be noticed by people so they say what a spiritual big shot you are. Be anonymous with your charities. Don't be a noisy gong, showing off your belief, etc.

Why is that so hard for fanatics to grasp?

Can I get a big AMEN?

Xtian thinking is delusional for a number of reasons, but I'm always in awe of how they easily and constantly overlook this biblical principle. It's written in very plain, straightforward language and not only Christ but Paul go back to it again and again - don't go around making public displays of your faith. Don't do things to be noticed by people so they say what a spiritual big shot you are. Be anonymous with your charities. Don't be a noisy gong, showing off your belief, etc.

Because they are not True Believers.

The more you doubt what you believe, the more noise you make to show-off how big your "faith" is.

I've seen it over and over again. The smaller the dog, the larger and more they bark.

And to think that when I was in high school, I wouldn't have seen anything wrong with nailing those names. I may have called it an innovative form of prayer, had I ran with a group that did the whole see you at the pole (how phallic is that?) thing. Guess it was a good thing that I grew up, then.

Yeah, I'd be pissed if my name got used like that. Personally, I'd pull mine off and let it be at that (after all, I didn't give them permission to attatch my name to that tripe...). This doesn't seem like the kind thing to file a lawsuit over. If it were more egreigeous, well, I like a more personal touch than a lawsuit.

I would have suggested that the names not be nailed to the cross. I'm not sure what possitive effect it was thought to have. Will it magnify God's power to act, or maybe it's just something they did to remember the day they went out there... Make it more memorable perhaps.

I would have suggested that the names not be nailed to the cross.  I'm not sure what possitive effect it was thought to have.  Will it magnify God's power to act, or maybe it's just something they did to remember the day they went out there...  Make it more memorable perhaps.

Or was it partly to do with the human psyche that is drawn to the practice of ritual?

What's the difference between what is mentioned in this thread and say, someone casting a "spell" over a lock of someone's hair?

Nothing, really. :shrug:

The thought occurred to that even though this was clearly offensive to non-Christians; the joke is about the young Christians themselves who put the names up there. The motives behind that sort of thing is them trying to impress their fellow Christians with their own piety, showing how they understand the importance of praying for unsaved people, and that they too carry the prayer-warrior's burden as the other super-spiritual do. It's a peer contest.

They are children and haven't fully matured understanding the social ramifications of their choice of publicly displaying names. However, I understand there are adult Church leaders who get involved in this "student" activity. It is THEM who I would chastise for their utter lack of sensitivity. It is them that drive people away from Christianity through such utter arrogance. They are the hypocrites and deserving of the world's scorn.

:grin: Wow! How wonderful! A debate where everyone agrees! :woohoo:

The thought occurred to that even though this was clearly offensive to non-Christians; the joke is about the young Christians themselves who put the names up there.  The motives behind that sort of thing is them trying to impress their fellow Christians with their own piety, showing how they understand the importance of praying for unsaved people, and that they too carry the prayer-warrior's burden as the other super-spiritual do.  It's a peer contest. 

Add all of that up, and what do you get?

Ritual!

It's just more of a refined version of umm...

let's see now...

Humph! :scratch:

:Doh:

:Hmm:

Dancing around while smacking your fellow believers in the head with a dead chicken or somethin'.

I thought that this deserved getting repeated. :grin:

It's a peer contest.

That's only cause I've been hangin back, Amanda.

How nauseating. If I were back in high school and saw this happening, I think I would walk up and write my own name on the list and draw flames around it.

Ok, I'll bite. So some students (assumed to be non-Christian) got singled out and their names put on a cross. It is likely that these students are already singled out in the school, and were chosen for convienence, after all, how often do Christians, especialy high-school Christians, actually try to get to know someone well before condemning them (or claiming that their god or someone has them condemned)? No, these were probably the obvious targets, and they are probably used to it, and it will probably draw no more attention to them than they already have (kind of hit a maximum, you know).

I love playing the Devil's Advocate.

Doesn't this breach privacy laws? Either way, why can't people just mind their own goddamn business? If somebody nailed my name to a cross, I'd shove it up their backside and then kick them to the curb - hard. Not that I condone violence, mind you.

What flarking advantage if any do the sectarians have placing these names of the supposed *unbelivers* on that cross?

Man, if it were me, or one of mine, and we in turn were harrased or hurt in part or because of that silly assed little religious game, heads would explode..

Understand folks, I am a peaceful man by nature, do not wish to go about causing harm or injury to others *just for the fuccovit*. However when the assklowns come for me, they had better have more than their good shirts and ties and leather covered, hand tooled, blessed by Jimmy Swaggart hisself bibull in hand..

Force will be met with force.. Hopefully the little fucks at the pole will realize that their invasion of my space with their little game is a serious event that has consequences far beyond *feeling good*.

Dumbass adults whom have designed and condone this oughta have more nod in their noggin's..

k, fuckin' mean_old_man, L.

Force will be met with force.. Hopefully the little fucks at the pole will realize that their invasion of my space with their little game is a serious event that has consequences far beyond *feeling good*.

I can visualize Nivek being approached by a fundy:

Them: "We ony want you fell and see the God's force."

Nivek: "I'll show you force! I got my RPG over here, and my semiauto here. Which one do you want to feel the power off?"

:lmao:

Can I get a big AMEN?

Could anyone quote me scripture on this one?

(No no, I am not converting back... I am pointing it out to Christians on my local newspaper message board because the topic has come up.)

Ok, I'll bite. So some students (assumed to be non-Christian) got singled out and their names put on a cross. It is likely that these students are already singled out in the school, and were chosen for convienence, after all, how often do Christians, especialy high-school Christians, actually try to get to know someone well before condemning them (or claiming that their god or someone has them condemned)? No, these were probably the obvious targets, and they are probably used to it, and it will probably draw no more attention to them than they already have (kind of hit a maximum, you know).

I love playing the Devil's Advocate.

So bullying is right and shouldn't be stopped? It's just "kids being kids" and it doesn't matter that it scars the victim for life?

Could anyone quote me scripture on this one?

(No no, I am not converting back... I am pointing it out to Christians on my local  newspaper message board because the topic has come up.)

Matthew 6:5-7

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Verse 7 is more for those who count the same prayers over and over, or go Jesus, Jesus, Jesus... :lmao:

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Verse 7 is more for those who count the same prayers over and over, or go Jesus, Jesus, Jesus... :lmao:

:eek: I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!

Guest christmuncher
Holy shit! I just realized that's my hometown!

* HadouKen24 is feeling just a bit more nervous about the consequences of eventually coming out as a non-Christian *

I used to work at the grocery store across the street from that school. The flag is like, right there where everyone can see it as they go into the school. Goddamn, that's a horrible place to put the names of kids singled out as non-Christians.

Will there be lawsuits? I doubt it. Not in that town. Most conservative, uptight, snobby, keeping-up-appearances place in the entire state.

Holy shit! I just realized that was my high school!

I graduated in 2002, thankfully. I only wish I had been as militant an atheist then as I am now. There would be hell to pay.

I agree with your assesment of the town itself. Edmond: you will never find a more wretched hive (W.A.S.P. nest ?) of yuppie scum and fundy villany.

You don't need to be a militant atheist to get angry about that. You don't even need to be a non-Christian.

I probably would have gotten extremely angry about it even before I deconverted.

Yeah... I never quite fit in with the people of Edmond.

Prayin' round the flagpole.......

"Oh! Oh! Lookit us! Lookit us! Look! Can you see how holyweare? See? See? Maybe someone will take pictures and everyone who reads the school newspaper will get to see how much like Jesusweare!!"

:notworthy:

:pyth::pyth::pyth:

Ego. It's all about the ego.