Goodbye Jesus

What Is Your New Spirituality?

Googledotman

But isn't anything that is atman just a manifestation of brahman? I think I get a slanted view on Hinduism due to my teacher liking a particular sect a bit more than the others :D

That is the view of groups who follow the Advaita Vedanta philosophy. As I said followers of Dvaita philosophy believe differently. A well known example of a Dvaita sect is ISKCON, who believe that the atman is distinct from Brahman. Most teachers in the west teach Advaita Vedanta, to the extent that many people think that it is Hindu philosohy. My school follows Advaita Ishvaravada, which like Advaita Vedanta does believe that all souls are God, but differs from classical Advaita Vedanta in some other ways. Most Hindu schools can be seen as broadly following Advaita or Dvaita.

I should say that we are getting much more philosophical than many Hindus do, the majority don't concern themselves with this detailed philosophical distinction.

The philosophy part of it is the interesting part :D. I don't see how you could properly follow a religion without understanding things like that. "Losing your self" in your yoga doesn't seem to have much meaning unless you understand what it means, yes? We should continue this some other time in a more appropriate thread :)