Goodbye Jesus

The christian bible

thomas

I have been thinking about this, and I am not sure. What do you think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• currentchristian

• Fweethawt

• Ouroboros

• Sexton Blake

Not enough choices. I'd have to go with None of the Above. The bible is a book of mythology and folklore. And as much as I would LIKE to burn them all, that would be a grave mistake. For "those who forget the past are DOOMED to repeat it." We need to keep the bible and the Koran around if only to remind future generations of how STUPID it is to follow religious/superstitious beliefs.

So the VALUE of the bible is as a painful and poignant reminder of man's cruelty and gullibility when we turn off common sense and devote ourselves to myths.

P.S. - Thomas, what is YOUR vote? You didn't answer your own poll.

It may blow the mind of some, but I chose There is literary value in some of the stories told in the bible.

As history shows us what not to do, the bible shows us what not to believe. For example:

History: 'Burning witches' <- don't do that

Bible: 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' <- don't believe that

Although I think the bible the worse piece of fucking written garbage unfit to even wipe my ass with, I cannot bring myself to say it should be banned or burned.

Like history, we need the bible for no other reason than to show us our mistakes in plain view. The bible should be put on a pedestal for all to see, with the words 'Book of Lies' and 'Root of all Evil' inscribed around it.

I needed an "other" choice, but chose, none of the above..

Some parts of it are as valuable as Aesop's Fables..emphasis on "Fables".. :HaHa:

There are two things I take from it and I suppose you could say "live by"..

"Treat others as you would be treated."

and..

the loving your neighbor thing..

although on the last one, its not always the case. I try to start out that way, that is, form no negative opinion until experience tells me I should.

The rest of it is good to induce overwhelming feelings of guilt..

I believe the bible is an important piece of literature if only because of the amount of impact it has had on human history (good and bad). I would put it in the same category as say the Odessey or the Analects. Personally, I find the other two a better read.

Guest ckbanks

Hello everyone,

Well I guess now we have a more balanced vote. Glad to see that was an option here. Why is it so crazy for someone to believe that the Bible is the infallabile word of the only true God?

Why is it so crazy for someone to believe that the Bible is the infallabile word of the only true God?

Well I guess that depends, which version do you believe is the infallible one... :shrug:

I do not guess it matters. I just wish Christians would not try too make others believe it and think were crazy and treat us like dirt because we don’t believe it.

Why is it so crazy for someone to believe that the Bible is the infallabile word of the only true God?

Well I guess that depends, which version do you believe is the infallible one... :shrug:

102160[/snapback]

Hello everyone,

Well I guess now we have a more balanced vote.  Glad to see that was an option here.  Why is it so crazy for someone to believe that the Bible is the infallabile word of the only true God?

102131[/snapback]

not crazy, just ignorant

I'd like o go for a mix between most answers.

There are good philosophical concepts and ideas to be found. One just has to learn to separate the good stuff from all rubbish

This is True IMO.

There are both literary and philosophical value to be found in the bible

This is true too.

But more than half is it is bad philosophy and not that much is literal.

But the Proverbs contain a lot of wisdom that is still wise in today's world. The bible is OK, as long as we take it as a normal book.

Hello everyone,

Well I guess now we have a more balanced vote.  Glad to see that was an option here.  Why is it so crazy for someone to believe that the Bible is the infallabile word of the only true God?

102131[/snapback]

:lmao: Good one. There's always got to be a cut-up in every crowd.

:lmao:

Huh?

Oh, sorry, man. I thought you were joking.

:woopsie:

umm. Welcome to the forums.

IMHO, what is valuable about the Bible is that it helps us to understand the current state of affairs. It is helpful to realize that some people take that stuff literally, and that others encourage them, and that taking myths literally can lead to violence and hate. And hopefully, we can learn from the mistakes of the past someday. But until people stop taking the Bible literally, I don't think that's going to happen.

P.S. - Thomas, what is YOUR vote?  You didn't answer your own poll.

102079[/snapback]

I have not been reading in my bible for a couple of years, and I do not miss it. So I tend to go for the first option “The true value is the few calories of heat you can get, if you burn it.”

But there are so many people praising the bible. Take for example a look at: Bible famous quote.

So I was thinking if I had missed something, and wanted to hear your opinions.

But now I have voted, and I took the first option. It does not mean that I am ready to burn my bible, but I does mean that it is hard for me to see any intellectual value in it.

Hello everyone,

102131[/snapback]

:lmao: Hahaha... snort...snort... Ha haha... *gasp*... (gasping for air)... (falls of chair)... (getting cramps of laughter)... *snicker,snicker*...

I voted for choice number 4: "There are both literary and philosophical value to be found in the bible.", although I think I would have added "but not much, go ahead and use it for target practice anyway"......

I do find the Song of Solomon to be at least a somewhat decent piece of literature:

1 How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince's daughter! the joints of thy thighs are like jewels, the work of the hands of a cunning workman.

2 Thy navel is like a round goblet, which wanteth not liquor: thy belly is like an heap of wheat set about with lilies.

3 Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins.

4 Thy neck is as a tower of ivory; thine eyes like the fishpools in Heshbon, by the gate of Bathrabbim: thy nose is as the tower of Lebanon which looketh toward Damascus.

5 Thine head upon thee is like Carmel, and the hair of thine head like purple; the king is held in the galleries.

6 How fair and how pleasant art thou, O love, for delights!

7 This thy stature is like to a palm tree, and thy breasts to clusters of grapes.

8 I said, I will go up to the palm tree, I will take hold of the boughs thereof: now also thy breasts shall be as clusters of the vine, and the smell of thy nose like apples;

9 And the roof of thy mouth like the best wine for my beloved, that goeth down sweetly, causing the lips of those that are asleep to speak.

I don't find anything wrong with this statement:

....and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Of course, the above two are far outweighed by shit such as this instance regarding biblegod the child-killer and child sex-slave trader:

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. 18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

And no one can match biblegod as far as instilling brutality and barbarism in his followers, with some some fucking great old-fashioned murder and dismemberment!

And David commanded his young men, and they killed them, and cut off their hands and feet, and hanged them beside the pool at Hebron. But they took the head of Ish-bo'sheth, and buried it in the tomb of Abner at Hebron.
I have to give them credit, though. They did bury the head.

......Well I guess now we have a more balanced vote. Glad to see that was an option here. Why is it so crazy for someone to believe that the Bible is the infallabile word of the only true God?

First, welcome to the boards.

Secondly, with regard to your choice in this poll, you may want to saunter over to the Colloseum and peruse our comments in the 'A Christian's inerrancy challenge, Can the Bible can be trusted?' thread:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=4548

Of course, in light of what has already been posted about the "inerrant" "divinely inspired" "word" of biblegod, it is highly doubtful that you will be able to assist iprayican in her current predicament, although you're certainly welcome to try.......

K

And there are some really good proverbs too.

Like:

Pro 1:5 KJVA A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

or

Pro 24:26 CEV Giving an honest answer is a sign of true friendship.

Guest ckbanks

Well thanks for your gracious welcome, I think. It was intended to be a light hearted, easy going comment. Sorry to offend so easily.

Guest ckbanks
First,  welcome to the boards.

Secondly, with regard to your choice in this poll, you may want to saunter over to the Colloseum and peruse our comments in the 'A Christian's inerrancy challenge, Can the Bible can be trusted?' thread:

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=4548

Of course, in light of what has already been posted about the "inerrant" "divinely inspired" "word" of biblegod, it is highly doubtful that you will be able to assist iprayican in her current predicament, although you're certainly welcome to try.......

K

102325[/snapback]

Thanks, I may just take your advice on that. Some of those questions looked pretty interesting and iprayican doesn't seem to be getting back with them.

I keep a bible at my computer all the time..when I am doing some reading , visit these forums ,etc and come across some really adsurd text I highlight them. If some of my well meaning christian friends or family starts quoting verses I'll have mine ready. I have read more of the bible since I left the faith than before. Go figure..I voted "none of the above"

Well thanks for your gracious welcome, I think.  It was intended to be a light hearted, easy going comment.  Sorry to offend so easily.

102569[/snapback]

We're a tough crowd, and not easy to please. ;)

Guest J. Fitzmyer, S.J. (Rameus Spoof)
Moral edification.

jf

102813[/snapback]

What do you find preferable, the Communist Manifesto?

jk

Moral edification.

jf

102813[/snapback]

What do you find preferable, the Communist Manifesto?

jk

102830[/snapback]

Well, its sort of a toss-up between that, and Mein Kampf. :mellow: