Goodbye Jesus

atheists: how did you deal with this

willybilly30

Why can't you just have an afterlife without any gods ?

I mean, isn't it entirely possible that we are something before we are born and something else again after we die ?

Do we need gods for that ?

104998[/snapback]

I think atheism is more than simply not believing in a (theistic) god. An atheist does not want to waste life on faritales, and therefore (s)he employes an approach based on critical/scientific thinking.

This leaves neither room for a god, nor for eternal life.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• willybilly30

• MQTA

• Ouroboros

• spamandham

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IV read several posts on no afterlife.

To be honest that thought scares the crap out of me.

Not existing just being nothing but a mindless corpse

It is so scary I about want too become the biggest health freak ........

104957[/snapback]

I think the transition from being a christian believing (and investing your life) in an afterlife, to become an atheist, is scary.

For most of my life, I have not been able to imagine a world without a creator controlling it. And I have not really been able to imagine, that the feeling of that I call "me", wasn't a soul that could have a life independent of the body.

So it was really an "aha" -experience for me first time, I really underststood atheism, and that it could be a serious answer to my questions about life. It filled me with a strange mix of freedom and fear of the future. The fear was not so much related to death (although I would like to live forever), but for the idea that nobody was controlling this world.

After leaving christainity I have really tried to find a way to justify belief in a higher meaning and in eternal life. I do not think it can be done on a rational scientific basis, so I have really been thinking, if other approaches to life so to speak can be justified as a (spiritual) supplement to scientific thinking.

But I don't see, that his can be done. To me it seems most likely, that when the brain is gone, it is over.

The good side about atheism is, that you are motivated to live a good and helthy life here and now. Personally I have not become a health freak, but I have become much more aware about how I live my life. Through atheism, you learn to appreciate life, here and now.

And this is a good thing.

I think atheism is more than simply not believing in a (theistic) god. An atheist does not want to waste life on faritales, and therefore (s)he employes an approach based on critical/scientific thinking.

This leaves neither room for a god, nor for eternal life.

Wikipedia defines atheism as without God" or the belief that no God actually exists. I suppose a belief in an afterlife thereafter would differ from person to person - atheist to atheist. Rebirth, reincarnation, another demenision or nothing.

But what does any of that matter in the present, which is all I have. I will die, that is an unavoidable fact. So in the meantime I alone am accountable for how I chose to live this life, how I chose to conduct myself and what I want to get out of it. If I spend the rest of my life fearing the unknown of what happens when I die, I risk not getting the most out of what happens while I am alive.

The good side about atheism is, that you are motivated to live a good and helthy life here and now. Personally I have not become a health freak, but I have become much more aware about how I live my life. Through atheism, you learn to appreciate life, here and now.

Nicely said. It's funny how many people of faith view us atheist as leading unmoral and reckless lives. Nothing can be further from the truth. When I do something wrong (ie: say something hurtful to a family member) I have no Satan to blame or God to put it right...only me.

A spirit in the afterlife waiting to be born again so I can learn some more

80 years ago: a hippie in a commune I died in a war protest grabbing a gun away from a soldier

800 years ago: I was a Native American hunting down a deer. I was  killed in a war fighting for my land

8000 years ago: damn that is so far back I do not know what happened back then.

Shit I guess im just daydreaming.  No wait I was a cave man and a dinosaur ate me

105269[/snapback]

:lmao: Funny answers!

But sorry to break it to ya', but I don't there there were any dinos 8000 years ago. But maybe you where in a fight with another caveman, and he hit you with his club? Or maybe you got trampled by a stampede of mammoths (I think they existed back then, but not sure)... :scratch:

While I hope there is an afterlife, I can not know for sure.

I look at it this way.

I didn't mind not existing for the first bazillion years of eternity, so I'm sure I won't mind not existing for the remaining bazlillion years of eternity.

Non-existance is the normal state. The 70 or so years of living is the abnormal event. So one day, everything will get back to normal.

No big deal.

While I hope there is an afterlife, I can not know for sure. 

I look at it this way.

I didn't mind not existing for the first bazillion years of eternity, so I'm sure I won't mind not existing for the remaining bazlillion years of eternity.

Non-existance is the normal state.  The 70 or so years of living is the abnormal event.  So one day, everything will get back to normal.

No big deal.

105435[/snapback]

Yeah. You're a bit abnormal

JUST KIDDIN'

You started it! :HaHa:

For those who feel a need to live for eternity, there is a natural possibility that might fulfill your dream, depending on the nature of reality.

If the universe is in some sense eternal, and if it plays out all possibilities in some sense, then the odds that "you" will once again live are 100%, and not just once, but an infinite number of times (which means you already have existed an infinite number of times). In that case, we are all eternal, although the fraction of trials in which we exist is an incredibly small portion of eternity.

If the universe is in some sense eternal, and if it plays out all possibilities in some sense, then the odds that "you" will once again live are 100%, and not just once, but an infinite number of times ...

105451[/snapback]

So we all play a minor role in the big endless movie. :nono:

These damn websites, they not only get rid of the shit I Knew wasn't true, but they also get rid of a lot of doubts that I left open to maybe. LOL

Seems like I'm reading threads that just so happen to be related to the pages I'm up to on the Jovial Atheist site. This Thomas Blaylock guy is good!

http://www.jovialatheist.com/thesoul.html

[q]

IF everyone believed that to die was to cease existence, how difficult it would be to raise an army to fight a selected enemy on foreign soil. If people believed that when you die, you are dead, not alive, how difficult it would be getting people to support a religion which taught, "If you give up here and now a portion of your worldly goods, your time and your pursuit of happiness on earth, you will be rewarded an hundred fold after your soul leaves your body and goes to your heavenly body." How difficult it would be to collect people's children in busses on Sunday and teach them fables, untruths and half-truths.

IF people knew there was no "religious life" after death, how difficult it would be to get them to give ten percent of their hard earned income to support some religion. How close to impossible would it be to get people who knew there was no “religious” life after death, to believe in sin and salvation? How soon would priests, ministers and rabbis be forced to obtain some honest and honorable employment?

IF a people really knew there was no “religious” afterlife, how difficult would it be to get people to be satisfied with the injustices, the cruelties, the wars, the excessive taxation, the deprivations and humiliations which religion and government forces upon people? And, all of this evil is forced upon us because there is supposed to be a better life after death! We are assured, "There IS pie in the sky in the sweet bye and bye." Our religious and government authorities said so. If you knew beyond doubt, you were being lied to, would you stop submitting to the political, religious and business schemes which steal your money, land, water, forest, children, time and your health from you? And don't forget your freedom and future.

So to start, belief in a religious soul and a religious after life is a very profitable weapon of coercion used to make you fit the mold of the authorities, and make you into a "good mold-fitting citizen." This concept of the “religious” soul and religious after life is used by kings, politicians, priests, salesmen, churches, casket makers, lawyers, insurance companies and indeed, it is profitable for all types of businesses, religions and governments.

[/q]

I guess that wasn’t a past life memory then lol

But sorry to break it to ya', but I don't there there were any dinos 8000 years ago. But maybe you where in a fight with another caveman, and he hit you with his club? Or maybe you got trampled by a stampede of mammoths (I think they existed back then, but not sure)... :scratch:

105433[/snapback]

I understand about living life to the fullest and enjoying life now.

However, no life after death is horrible.

Why was I born just to later see my life end?

I cannot think of anything worse than not existing and thinking of your friends and family not existing.

but its probally true. science seems to have a good explanation against anything people suggest about life after death.

I look at death this way:

I am chasing Death around; Death is running from me. As with anything, sooner or later I will catch him, strangle that mother-fucker with my bare hands, and drag him kicking and screaming into the afterlife, to which Death will be my slave for eternity.

But we each have our own Death, and should I finally subdue mine, it would have no effect on your Death.

I hope theirs some form of eternity. that sounds better than not existing

For those who feel a need to live for eternity, there is a natural possibility that might fulfill your dream, depending on the nature of reality.

If the universe is in some sense eternal, and if it plays out all possibilities in some sense, then the odds that "you" will once again live are 100%, and not just once, but an infinite number of times (which means you already have existed an infinite number of times).  In that case, we are all eternal, although the fraction of trials in which we exist is an incredibly small portion of eternity.

105451[/snapback]

Why was I born just to later see my life end?

105523[/snapback]

That's the problem right there... you are not born to just die later on, you are born to live.

But sorry to break it to ya', but I don't there there were any dinos 8000 years ago. But maybe you where in a fight with another caveman, and he hit you with his club? Or maybe you got trampled by a stampede of mammoths (I think they existed back then, but not sure)...  :scratch:

105433[/snapback]

105515[/snapback]

Oh, don't say that. Maybe you were a dino, and maybe you mixed up your 8000 year with the 80 million year mark? :HaHa:

105433[/snapback]

105515[/snapback]

Oh, don't say that. Maybe you were a dino, and maybe you mixed up your 8000 year with the 80 million year mark? :HaHa:

What im fixing so say is probably going to sound insane but oh well?

If some part of me is just going to insist on having a religion based on no evidence god or any spirituality exists then im just going to create my own religion.

It will be a part of me my holy book will be that spiritual side speaking.

If I die and cease to exist then it will die with me.

The gods I follow in my head will join me when im dead.

At least ill be following something I can agree with and be my true self.

Paganism is what I believe the most and maybe it is all a fun little game I enjoy playing.

Im going to live life to the fullest and be who I truly am and be kind to others so when I die at least ill have a good memory in peoples minds.

I will try my best to live the way I want to live and be happy and true to myself.

This life’s the only thing I can be certainly sure I have so im going to enjoy ever minute of it

What im fixing so say is probably going to sound insane but oh well?

If some part of me is just going to insist on having a religion based on no evidence god or any spirituality exists then im just going to create my own religion.

It will be a part of me my holy book will be that spiritual side speaking.

Check out Wayne Dyer's books in a books store, or scan the web. http://www.drwaynedyer.com should give some insight. Start with his early books, they lay a good foundation and help come to terms with your past, til now. Then his later books get into a more spiritual realm, he even quotes from the bible, along with all wisdom through the ages.

I read his early books because there was no religious undertones. By his 4th book he's into metaphysical discussions and then his later books are more spiritual.

Varying degrees, can help anyone on their path. I don't go so much for the spiritual, but it seems more feasible than anything else I've heard about. If I'm a spiritual being having a human experience, then Bring On the Human experience, only hold back the cyanide. Since I'm still breathing, I guess I managed to avoid the cyanide. Only 3 regrets in life, and they're things I didn't do and coulda, shoulda, but didn't. Sure, there's lots of things I coulda done but didn't, but these 3 stand out above all others. But that's life.

My life changed in 1989 when I read The Satanic Bible and that lead up to 1993 when I found Dyer's books. Changed everything. I used to say his books helped me change, but I used his books to help me change. I read lots before, lots after, nobody compares though. Awesome journey. Had another child cause of it, he was born a year later and is going on 12. Both children have Christian and Jewish relatives, we go to their parties and dinners, but neither have ever opened, read, or been force-fed a Bible or Jesus or God.

They're my test. They're lightyears ahead of their cousins. We see it, others see it, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Change the locus of control to the one in the mirror, that's the one you gotta face, day in and day out. :)

So we all play a minor role in the big endless movie.  :nono:

105496[/snapback]

Oh great. Now you've just encouraged me to continue my nonsensical babbling! :grin:

You see, nothing actually exists. But since nothing exists, there is nothing to prevent everything from existing. Logic is part of that everything, which thus creates a contradiction since nothing exists. Since there is an actual contradiction that exists, everything exists, including all possibilities (and impossibilities!). The Christians are right, the atheists are right, the Buddhists are right, even Mary Ann and the Professor are right regardless of what the Skipper says (of course, he's right too). ...and they are all wrong...

He sounds interesting im going too look for his books.

I want to find his book the sacred self that’s interesting have you read it?

Check out Wayne Dyer's books in a books store, or scan the web. http://www.drwaynedyer.com should give some insight. Start with his early books, they lay a good foundation and help come to terms with your past, til now. Then his later books get into a more spiritual realm, he even quotes from the bible, along with all wisdom through the ages.

I read his early books because there was no religious undertones. By his 4th book he's into metaphysical discussions and then his later books are more spiritual.

Varying degrees, can help anyone on their path. I don't go so much for the spiritual, but it seems more feasible than anything else I've heard about. If I'm a spiritual being having a human experience, then Bring On the Human experience,

• Admin

The way I deal with the problem of death goes like this:

Death is but the absence of life.

Before I was born, I was not alive. For all intents and purposes, prior to my life beginning, I was effectively dead.

I do not feel compelled to mourn the time before I was alive, neither was I in any way inconvenienced by the long millenia of personal lifelessness prior to my birth.

I expect the time following my death to be equally as inconvenient and troubling - which is to say: not at all.

As far as purposelessness goes, does the amount of time lived really determine the purposefulness of a life? Is my pet cat purposeless because it only lives 15 years or so and goes in the ground? If something lives 1000 years does it have more value and purpose than that which lives 100? Do trees and turtles have more purpose than people?

Purpose is not derived from longevity but from how we use the time we have.

Not existing just being nothing but a mindless corpse

Someone's probably said this, but...you won't care because you'll be dead. And that's all the more reason to enjoy life while you're still living it. I deal by enjoying my life or at least trying to.

Purpose is not derived from longevity but from how we use the time we have.

106002[/snapback]

Ramen to that Dave.

I find it entertaining that people worries about that they only live 70 years, while if life allowed us to live 700 years, people would be worrying about why they only live 700 years.

How long you live is not important, but what you do with it. It's like poker, it's not only about the cards you get, but how well you play them. You can win a game with crappy hands. (I've done it :grin: )

Very good points all I can do is live life and whatever happens after death happens.

He sounds interesting im going too look for his books.

I want to find his book the sacred self that’s interesting have you read it?

Yep, read them all, 3-4 times each. I'd read the first 4 books before delving into YSS