Goodbye Jesus

Dumbest Of Fundies

ireckinso

Okay, I was waiting to post this because I wanted to make sure it was true first. I was told by a third party that a co-worker was a fundy and dumber than most. I never saw him that way but it makes sense now that I look back. He is a quiet person so I never really have spoken to him. However in hind sight I do remember him getting up from the break table whenever someone would curse in a conversation or start talking about sex or women and what not. He was so nonchalant about it that I never paid attention at the time. I did however talk to two guys that directly with him all day and they told me that they have talked about his beliefs often. This is no B.S.

So here it is and the fact that I cannot believe that fundies think that they are right about crap that is clearly just STUPID!

First off he doesn’t believe that dinosaurs ever existed. His belief is that the world is only 6k years old and that scientists are trying to cast doubts in Christians beliefs by making up stories and fake bones of dinosaurs.

Secondly, man has never been to the moon or into space for that matter. There is no space station, or man made satellites in space orbiting the Earth. That is all science fiction and Hollywood. When asked about satellite imagery of the Earth he said they were fictitious as well. They are artist renditions of what the Earth might look like to God. There is no way man could fly into space nor get a satellite to rotate around the Earth, the satellite would not be able to carry enough fuel to keep going around all the time. Which takes me to...

Third, the moon does not reflect the suns light it makes its own. Further more the Earth does not rotate around the Sun nor does it revolve. It also stands straight up on its axis not leaned over. The moon in no way effects the earth as in tidal shifts and such. God created the Earths gravity and put it inside the earth to hold things in place.

His explanation for the seasons is that the sun cools and heats up whenever the seasons change.

There is more but at the moment I can’t quite remember what exactly but I’ll probably update later as I am beside myself in disbelief at this mans ignorance.

This man is 43 F#cking years old!! Has 2 little boys and coaches baseball and is a Boy Scout leader. In my head I cannot fathom how anyone could actually have hardened beliefs like this and teach it to his children. What about the scouts that he supposedly is supposed to be a role model for. How in this day and age can you be so ….ahhh! It makes my head hurt trying to find the reason in it. I have never talked to him about these things myself so I don’t know all of his reasoning, but does it matter? These are not mainstream ideas. I have not heard of anyone thinking this way in this day and time.

Okay, I have to stop thinking about it for a while and go take an advil.

Somebody inserted a 'chip' into his brain a long time ago. Even an operation can't remove this because they don't want the surgery. Poor old people... probably got to do with about the anxiety of dying......

I believed in 'talking snakes' myself at one time.....Don't know where I got the courage ...My mind must not have been completely talen over by the 'chip'..... I was one of the lucky ones to take control of my own mind again. What a shame....I guess we just gotta be nice to these people......Wendyshrug.gif

Unless enough of us start thinking for ourselves again...We're probably going to have to sit back and watch these people destruct the whole earth. Wendytwitch.gif I'm glad I'll be gone.

I have found that a surprising number of the most hardcore fundies are also susceptible to belief in multiple conspiracy theories. I'm not sure why this correlation exists, but I have seen it personally often enough to establish some sort of connection between the mindset of a fundy and the mindset of a conspiracy theory believer.

• Like 2

I have found that a surprising number of the most hardcore fundies are also susceptible to belief in multiple conspiracy theories. I'm not sure why this correlation exists, but I have seen it personally often enough to establish some sort of connection between the mindset of a fundy and the mindset of a conspiracy theory believer.

This is true, you are not the only one. As they say ignorance is bliss

I think in both cases, it contributes to their sense of being special and "elite." They think they are privy to knowledge no one else has. A sense that they are smarter and better than everyone else because they "see" what's REALLY going on. It gives them a sense of identity and fulfills their ego.

So this isn't a surprising correlation to me. God has been the biggest conspiracy theory that ever existed.

• Like 2

what the fuck is wrong with that guy? o wait i know...

thats what happens when you ignore reality becuase of your own security prefixes.

I think in both cases, it contributes to their sense of being special and "elite." They think they are privy to knowledge no one else has. A sense that they are smarter and better than everyone else because they "see" what's REALLY going on. It gives them a sense of identity and fulfills their ego.

So this isn't a surprising correlation to me. God has been the biggest conspiracy theory that ever existed.

That's a pretty damn good attempt at an explanation, if you ask me.

Okay, I was waiting to post this because I wanted to make sure it was true first. I was told by a third party that a co-worker was a fundy and dumber than most. I never saw him that way but it makes sense now that I look back. He is a quiet person so I never really have spoken to him. However in hind sight I do remember him getting up from the break table whenever someone would curse in a conversation or start talking about sex or women and what not. He was so nonchalant about it that I never paid attention at the time. I did however talk to two guys that directly with him all day and they told me that they have talked about his beliefs often. This is no B.S.

So here it is and the fact that I cannot believe that fundies think that they are right about crap that is clearly just STUPID!

First off he doesn’t believe that dinosaurs ever existed. His belief is that the world is only 6k years old and that scientists are trying to cast doubts in Christians beliefs by making up stories and fake bones of dinosaurs.

Secondly, man has never been to the moon or into space for that matter. There is no space station, or man made satellites in space orbiting the Earth. That is all science fiction and Hollywood. When asked about satellite imagery of the Earth he said they were fictitious as well. They are artist renditions of what the Earth might look like to God. There is no way man could fly into space nor get a satellite to rotate around the Earth, the satellite would not be able to carry enough fuel to keep going around all the time. Which takes me to...

Third, the moon does not reflect the suns light it makes its own. Further more the Earth does not rotate around the Sun nor does it revolve. It also stands straight up on its axis not leaned over. The moon in no way effects the earth as in tidal shifts and such. God created the Earths gravity and put it inside the earth to hold things in place.

His explanation for the seasons is that the sun cools and heats up whenever the seasons change.

There is more but at the moment I can’t quite remember what exactly but I’ll probably update later as I am beside myself in disbelief at this mans ignorance.

This man is 43 F#cking years old!! Has 2 little boys and coaches baseball and is a Boy Scout leader. In my head I cannot fathom how anyone could actually have hardened beliefs like this and teach it to his children. What about the scouts that he supposedly is supposed to be a role model for. How in this day and age can you be so ….ahhh! It makes my head hurt trying to find the reason in it. I have never talked to him about these things myself so I don’t know all of his reasoning, but does it matter? These are not mainstream ideas. I have not heard of anyone thinking this way in this day and time.

It sorta makes you wonder how much science we really need to know to live. Not much, it seems.

It sorta makes you wonder how much science we really need to know to live. Not much, it seems. "Midniterider"

Well I do live in Va. close to WVA. The education in this area is mostly how to make shine and babies.

I think I worry more about how many other people around me have beliefs like this that I don't even realize.

I have neighbors that are drug dealers, have the cops over at least once a week for domestics and drunk in public, yet they dress up and go to church every Sunday.

I guess everyone has their own beliefs but when they are scientific FACTS, that is what I can't seem to wrap my mind around.

I can tell you why this correlation exists. Christianity IS a conspiracy theory. at least the fundamentalist version of it is. They explain everything that contradicts their viewpoint of having a one true revealed truth with The DEVIL deceiving people. It's no different than people who believe in the Illuminati or reptillian overlords. It is the SAME blame game, assuming a grand conspiracy to keep your viewpoint going. Christianity, now faced with increasing science that doesn't fit their worldview as well as being exposed to more and more diverse religious views and the people who hold them... are forced into one of two directions: "an allegorical interpretation of the faith" (which actually has a lot of interesting and deep ideas that fit well with a lot of thoughts in other world religions if they would go in that direction) or fundamentalism which in the modern age quickly devolves into the world of paranoid conspiracy theory.

If you already believe in The Devil Conspiracy... it's not much of a leap to believe in Jewish banking families controlling the world, government mind control, Aliens among us, or not going to the moon. The psychology that allows someone to be susceptible to one conspiracy theory makes them vulnerable to most of them.

Yep. Lots of people can have weird and wonderful beliefs about life. One guy I work with once felt that he had to pay for a post office box at the post office because he was worried about people stealing mail from his letter box.

And this was in Canberra, Australia, which would arguably have the lowest crime rate in the world!

Unless his wacko belefs affect the way your work is done (I hope you don't work in aerospace!!) or he bangs on about them to you, it is just part of the rich variety of people that you get t work with.

Just think, you will probably get some gratuitous prayer benefits from this guy praying for you!!! lol

Wow. I see why your head is exploding. He sounds like the most extreme of extremist conspiracy theorists!

This. Totally this. I don't know if anyone here saw an Australian television program called The One: The Search For Australia's Most Gifted Psychic... To my way of thinking, it was utterly tragic, and so obviously an exercise in guesswork that I found myself laughing in disbelief almost every minute (and by the way - I feel strangely compelled to point out - I only saw it because I work as a teletext captioner). There is a definite tendency amongst humans in general to want to believe we are in possession of knowledge that others don't comprehend, and I have to say that in my more self-aware moments, I do actually acknowledge a certain pride in my lack of belief in supernatural phenomena, including anthropomorphic gods.

Hi Irecksino,

Maybe you should check the date on his desk calender, maybe it says 1220 and not 2012? What does he think of all the modern technology? Witchcraft? Demonic deception?

I remember having an argument at university with a female fundamentalist who claimed that the fossil records of the dinosaurs were faked by Satan himself as a weapon to confuse mankind.

• Like 3

I agree that those that engage in conspiracy thinking tend to fall for quite easily for the other "theories". A fundy that I knew fairly well believed that modern translations are of Satan to deceive mankind, that the translators of these Bibles were immoral people at best, if not homosexuals at worst and of course they're all unsaved. She believed that Sun revolved around the Earth and disregarded arguments concerning gravity (i.e. if the moon affects the Earth's tides, how much would the Sun affect the Earth if it indeed rotated around it?), she believes vaccines are evil and cause various issues like aspergers and autism and I could go on.

The people that swallow the biggest lies (that I know personally) are ironically enough some of the most "intelligent" people. Aside from the whackjob fundy girl I mentioned earlier, the others that I know are scientists and doctors. Even further irony here: one of them is a microbiologist.

ah wall my old friend :banghead:

Oh my! :0

Funny thing about people who think vaccines are evil and cause aspergers? Without science, we wouldn't even know about aspergers. I can't stand the "Scientists are evil" theory. People who don't believe in satellites and crap should all be shoved into a rocket and shot into space. I think the millions of dollars would be worth it to remove the ignorance from the world. I mean, it's not like science has helped people survive cancer and let people with autism live normal lives. No, not at all.

For the hell of it, here's an alternative view on our stupid fundy. He's smarter than other fundies because he actually recognizes the inconsistencies with his belief system and reality and has chosen the denial route and created an alternative reality for himself.

Most fundies can't connect the dots and don't see how their personal beliefs are contradictive with other facts in their life they accept to be true.

smile.png

Funny thing about people who think vaccines are evil and cause aspergers? Without science, we wouldn't even know about aspergers. I can't stand the "Scientists are evil" theory. People who don't believe in satellites and crap should all be shoved into a rocket and shot into space. I think the millions of dollars would be worth it to remove the ignorance from the world. I mean, it's not like science has helped people survive cancer and let people with autism live normal lives. No, not at all.

This is true but science is also turning into a religion in it's own right for some. Many people can't comprehend that science is a method of inquiry. It is a process and it is fallible. Theories are made to be overturned by other theories or changing paradigms. No truth is set in stone. And YET... I've seen many behave as if science is some monolithic structure. While I don't believe vaccines cause autism, I don't think somebody who does is automatically 'anti-science' or unintelligent. They merely question a reached conclusion. Since science is ever-changing, there is no way to say they are wrong. (Autism and aspergers are incredibly complex and there is no way to say with 100% certainty that vaccines CAN'T play a role in certain cases with pre-existing factors. We just dont' know. I personally don't think vaccines are involved at ALL, but... I could be wrong.)

There was a time when SCIENCE believed pellegra was a contagious illness, even though there were people AT THAT TIME with evidence and a theory suggesting it was a vitamin deficiency. It took 100 years for mainstream science to finally come around to the truth that it was a vitamin deficiency. Science has more questions than answers. Answers are all tentative. When people start using Science as some "authority" to rule their lives, it's no better than fundamentalists with the bible.

Any theory scientists come up with can later be overturned or expanded with new knowledge.

• Like 1

This is true but science is also turning into a religion in it's own right for some. Many people can't comprehend that science is a method of inquiry. It is a process and it is fallible. Theories are made to be overturned by other theories or changing paradigms. No truth is set in stone. And YET... I've seen many behave as if science is some monolithic structure. While I don't believe vaccines cause autism, I don't think somebody who does is automatically 'anti-science' or unintelligent. They merely question a reached conclusion. Since science is ever-changing, there is no way to say they are wrong. (Autism and aspergers are incredibly complex and there is no way to say with 100% certainty that vaccines CAN'T play a role in certain cases with pre-existing factors. We just dont' know. I personally don't think vaccines are involved at ALL, but... I could be wrong.)

There was a time when SCIENCE believed pellegra was a contagious illness, even though there were people AT THAT TIME with evidence and a theory suggesting it was a vitamin deficiency. It took 100 years for mainstream science to finally come around to the truth that it was a vitamin deficiency. Science has more questions than answers. Answers are all tentative. When people start using Science as some "authority" to rule their lives, it's no better than fundamentalists with the bible.

Any theory scientists come up with can later be overturned or expanded with new knowledge.

I do agree with this and you have a good point. People shouldn't throw out science, but they also shouldn't worship science. There are people who do this. Just like everything, moderation is best.

• Like 1

This is true but science is also turning into a religion in it's own right for some. Many people can't comprehend that science is a method of inquiry. It is a process and it is fallible. Theories are made to be overturned by other theories or changing paradigms. No truth is set in stone. And YET... I've seen many behave as if science is some monolithic structure.

This is a strawman. I've seen virtually no one worship science. Science is a process of understanding and like it or not, it's the only process we have that helps us discover and understand the world we live in. The alternative is to just make up shit or take stabs in the dark hoping you hit a target.

• Like 1

I do agree with this and you have a good point. People shouldn't throw out science, but they also shouldn't worship science. There are people who do this. Just like everything, moderation is best.

I see science in the same way I see my own personal spirituality. It's a working framwork with "tentative truth". The problem is when people refuse to let their assumptions ever be questioned no matter what and refuse to accept they "could be wrong". THat kind of certainty and inability to handle ambiguity in life is the real problem, IMO.

On some level I can feel pity for fundies at the same time they infuriate me. People need stability, safety, and security. These are fundamental human needs. ANd yet our world is so big and incomprehensible now it's entirely human for someone to pick something and close off their world to just that thing... whether it is "jesus" or one particular viewpoint in science. I try not to be that way but I also understand that it is less crazy-making for me to live within a certain set of assumptions that make the most sense to me without harming others or insisting they agree with me because keeping everything in the world "open" just leaves no ground to stand upon.

This is true but science is also turning into a religion in it's own right for some. Many people can't comprehend that science is a method of inquiry. It is a process and it is fallible. Theories are made to be overturned by other theories or changing paradigms. No truth is set in stone. And YET... I've seen many behave as if science is some monolithic structure.

This is a strawman. I've seen virtually no one worship science. Science is a process of understanding and like it or not, it's the only process we have that helps us discover and understand the world we live in. The alternative is to just make up shit or take stabs in the dark hoping you hit a target.

Nevermind. This is pointless. You are close-minded on this issue and think you KNOW how everybody who conducts science thinks and feels with regards to science. That kind of attitude can't be reasoned with. So I give up. Think what you want to think.

• Like 1

Nevermind. This is pointless. You are close-minded on this issue and think you KNOW how everybody who conducts science thinks and feels with regards to science. That kind of attitude can't be reasoned with. So I give up. Think what you want to think.

I implore you to watch this if you are truly interested in being open minded.

• Like 1