Goodbye Jesus

History Channel

florduh

• Super Moderator

I hate it. It's become the All Alien Network. I thought cable channels were supposed to find new audiences and interests and not cater to the lowest common denominator like network TV does. Fucking aliens, Bigfoot and Nessie. WHERE'S THE HISTORY CONTENT??? I guess Jerry Springer reruns are next.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

I second that rant! I rarely watch that channel anymore. The History Channel should be re-named... Maybe to something like The Channel of Historical Myths and Their Idiotic Followers. (Although All Alien Network fits better on the program guide grids) GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I have to agree. They do have a bit of history but it's mostly wars and the content has been re-run to death. They should drop all the paranormal crap. There is a lot more cool stuff to history than just wars. You know what I wish they would re-run is that old show Connections with James Burke. That was awesome.

Jerry Springer interviews an alien from an intergalactic race who helped Hitler hide stolen artifacts -- 'cause it's not just the History and Alien channel, it's also the Hitler channel; all Hitler, all the time.

• Like 2

Next week on Springer, Ice Road Truckers and highway crack whores that love them.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Oh wait..... here's another name-change suggestion.

Anti-Science Sociopaths.... A S S

Growing up I watched The History Channel almost every single day. Back when they had more than just WWII stuff (which was still interesting), but also shows like How Is It Made and a ton of other cool shows like Future Weapons. I learned a ton watching it. Now, like everyone has pointed out, it's all just a bunch of alien, Bigfoot, Nessie, Nostradamus, Swamp Loggers, Ice Road Truckers, Hillbilly Hand Fishing, Gold Diggers, and even religious bullshit. It's a fucking joke. Too bad it had to go all MTV.

Luckily, I get the Science channel now. Hopefully, the reality shows and Ancient Aliens stay away from that.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I think Nostradamus predicted the rise of the History Channel.

• Like 2

I hate it. It's become the All Alien Network. I thought cable channels were supposed to find new audiences and interests and not cater to the lowest common denominator like network TV does. Fucking aliens, Bigfoot and Nessie. WHERE'S THE HISTORY CONTENT??? I guess Jerry Springer reruns are next.

Many years ago when I lived with my husband he loved to watch the History Channel. I used to tell him, "If I was in charge of that remote, my finger would never pause on that channel." Of course, I've never been big on watching television. I would rather read.

• Super Moderator
Of course, I've never been big on watching television. I would rather read.

WTF??? I thought you said you were a hillbilly!

• Like 2

Those shows are really cheap to produce and can run are their other networks. So that's what they make. It's also what the American audience likes.

The actual scripted shows cost real money and are harder to put on other channels. Also (and I've said it before) according to a mailing list I read, they've pissed off a lot of scholars by editing them to make them look like idiots that agree with some premise or idea they don't so they've lost most of their experts. These edits are generally made for the American audience as well (ie. we tend to like the religious shows that don't show the whole truth but a slight variant).

mwc

The international history channel is cool. We get it here, but since it's dubbed into Russian I don't watch it much. I did watch it while I was in India and it had some really great programming.

History International is now H2. It's taken a hit since "history" is no longer even in its name (I would say it's still better than History for now though).

mwc

Even a few years ago, History channel used to be decent.

I don't even have cable anymore... nothing is worth watching. I still haven't forgiven Syfy (don't get me started on the new name) for canceling Stargate Universe. It was actually starting to become a worthwhile series when they killed it. (though not quite as good as SG:Atlantis or SG:1)

I miss the History Channel and to be honest I am sick of all the "reality tv" programming.

Two shows I noticed on the E (entertainment) channel:

'100 Most Grisliest Murders'

'Jail' which goes inside a real jail (with cool metal guitar theme song and jagged logo to cater to the kids)

that's entertainment!!

The history channel broke my heart long ago when all it played was WW2, End of the World, conspiracy theory, and Secret Society stuff all the time. I stopped watching.

I mostly hate when they post shit with names like "The Real Jesus Christ" or "Inside the Bible" or anything religious. The FUCK? This isn't HISTORY. I admit I like a UFO show here and there, but Ancient Aliens is just...well, it sucks. I watch IRT though, but it really should be on a different channel.

• Like 1

My workmate used to tell me all the stuff he learned on history channel. I tuned into the alien show also. That aint history. :-)

The crap on History Channel and other cable networks is why my family gave up on cable altogether. Even Food Network didn't have actual cooking shows anymore, but it was all just competitions of one sort or another (just a variation of reality shows, really). I used to enjoy watching History Channel, The Learning Channel (before it became The Redecorating Channel), and SciFi.

Well, to hell with all of them. Now we only have the most basic cable package (which pretty much gives us reception plus one or two local cable networks), and we're not watching any of the shows. Hopefully enough people do the same thing to make all the networks come crashing down.

I saw the title of this thread and instantly knew what was going to be said. I have cable at home, but I rarely watch it. The few times that I have...I've raged deeply.

My wife is terribly adiccited to:

RuPaul's Drag Race

Dance Mom's

Swamp People

Smash

Dancing with the Stars

Grimm

Once Upon a Time

The Voice

well you get the idea.

So we will not be getting rid of cable for awhile.

I have to admit I love watching Ancient Aliens. the dude with the hair is just funny.

My wife is terribly adiccited to:

RuPaul's Drag Race

Dance Mom's

Swamp People

Smash

Dancing with the Stars

Grimm

Once Upon a Time

The Voice

well you get the idea.

So we will not be getting rid of cable for awhile.

Dude, I'm...

I'm... uh...

I'm sorry.

• Like 1

You people watch too much Television. It's a disease. Get some help, PLEASE.smiliegojerkit.gif

You people watch too much Television. It's a disease. Get some help, PLEASE.smiliegojerkit.gif

For sure. There are better ways to waste time. If you've got DSL, who needs TV?

• Like 1