Goodbye Jesus

Carmen's Challenging Questions for Atheists

Guest questioner4

Um...I hate to tell this to everyone but Halloween is more of a Christian holiday than Christmas or Easter.

Halloween means All Hallows Eve or All Saints Eve, which is the eve of All Hallows Day, November 1. It was first celebrated in the 300's by early Christians as a day to honor the dead. All Hallows Eve was believed the time that the spirits of the dead would come and visit from the spirt world. The costumes and Jack-o-Lanterns were to ward off the evil spirits or ghosts and confuse them.

In Latin American countries All Hallows Day is a huge holiday. People go to cemetaries and picnic with their dead relatives on their graves and decorate them. They have parades and festivals celebrating and honoring their dead. It's a big Catholic tradition. Christians really need to know their history.

oops sorry purple, I must have been typing my post when you posted yours.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fweethawt

• crazy-tiger

• Ouroboros

• Taphophilia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The questions we, at The Refiner's Fire, would like to pose are as follows:

* Since you are an atheist, why do you celebrate Christmas or Easter? Why do you take vacations during that time? Why do you sing Christmas carols?

* Nearly every American partakes of the pagan holiday of Halloween. As an atheist, do you allow your children to partake of this 'fun' holiday? If so, you are, in essence, bowing down to pagan gods!

* Why do you take a 'day of rest'? Do you take off Saturdays and Sundays, or some other day of the week? Why? It was YHWH who commanded us to rest on the seventh day. Since you're an atheist, why bother taking a day off from work at all?

Jesus Christ on a stick, the logic. Carmen is obviously light years ahead of me. I have been changed for good. I realize the error in my ways, and I will never take a day off from work EVER again!!! Shit, I don't need one because the only reason people take a vacation is to get down on their knees and pray until they pass out.

Ever since realizing I was never of His flock, all need for those pesky vacations is gone.

Some weird people like to spend time with their families or travel, but that does not make as much sense as working until you drop dead.

This thread brings up an interesting point about hypocrisy among those of us who are atheists, and has prompted me to reform. Yes. From this day forward I shall eschew paying my mechanic, tipping the waitress or exchanging currency for my groceries because, as an atheist, I really shouldn't be handling anything onto which some imbecile has imprinted "In God We Trust."

oops sorry purple, I must have been typing my post when you posted yours.

No problem Taph, you added a lot of cool info I didn't. :)

This thread brings up an interesting point about hypocrisy among those of us who are atheists, and has prompted me to reform. Yes. From this day forward I shall eschew paying my mechanic, tipping the waitress or exchanging currency for my groceries because, as an atheist, I really shouldn't be handling anything onto which some imbecile has imprinted "In God We Trust."

This is good. :woohoo:

I'll even be your accountability partner. :scratch:

So, for starters, you just send me everything and anything that you have that has the words "In God We Trust" printed, stamped or engraved on it. :wicked:

I'll make sure that you never see them again. :HaHa:

I'm here for you, Pitchu. If after sending me all of your stuff, you find that you're having withdrawal symptoms, just let me know and maybe I can send you a little somethin'. :grin:

* Since you are an atheist, why do you celebrate Christmas or Easter? Why do you take vacations during that time? Why do you sing Christmas carols?

They are commercial holidays, and a time for family to get together and enjoy one anothers company, so why not? Why shouldn't we celebrate them or take vacations at that time, or sing christmas carols?

* Nearly every American partakes of the pagan holiday of Halloween. As an atheist, do you allow your children to partake of this 'fun' holiday? If so, you are, in essence, bowing down to pagan gods!

Not really, since it is nothing like the pagan holidays, nor is it intended to be worshipping of any gods...if it were then you would have a point.

* Why do you take a 'day of rest'? Do you take off Saturdays and Sundays, or some other day of the week? Why? It was YHWH who commanded us to rest on the seventh day. Since you're an atheist, why bother taking a day off from work at all?

....this has got to be the dumbest question I have ever read.

:lmao::loser:

I do celebrate my birth day too. That doesn't mean that I am bowing down to myself as a god, isn't it? Do you feel that way about your own birthday? Likewise with the parties of my friends. I enjoy to make fun with my friends. I don't bow down to them. I take off Saterday and Sunday yes. That's not because of its origins. By the way, what is this question that does arise so often? My dignity is not dictated by my origin. I'm proud on what I am and that is not gouverened by my descent (be it from slaves or monkeys). Christians do take holidays off, while that isn't allowed by the ten commandments. It does state that christians should work six days a week. A saterday and a sunday off, makes five. Inventing a lot of holidays damages this commandment even further. As an atheist one is free.

It was YHWH who commanded us to rest on the seventh day. Since you're an atheist, why bother taking a day off from work at all?

Those people at the refiners fire ough to know, that Sunday is the first day of the week. So since most christians consider Sunday as the proper day to go to church, they are breaking the laws if YHWH.

And they also ought to know, that the reason for this goes back to the first christians, who chose Sunday, because it was the established day for worship of the sun.

Why do Christians celebrate Christmas and Easter? They are totally pagan.
Exactly. Christmas has so little to do with Christianity, it's not even funny. It's just like a Christian to think that since they've hijacked a holiday that suddenly, nobody else is allowed to celebrate it.

And Easter is even worse. Easter is clearly not a Christian holiday. It predates Christianity by at least a couple millennia. It's obviously a celebration of springtime and fertility. I mean, hello, the imagery of the holiday includes grass, pastel colors, eggs, and rabbits! You have to be pretty dumb to think that this has anything to do with Christianity.

Good point about Easter, Neil.

Hey, anybody know where to look in the bible to find the word "Easter" ? :scratch:

Oh, and I will celebrate December 25th for the rest of my life. It's the birthday of the one who set me free. Who liberated me from closed-minded religion and silly superstition. Mithras.

Good point about Easter, Neil.

Hey, anybody where to look in the bible to find the word "Easter" ? :scratch:

Oh, and I will celebrate December 25th for the rest of my life. It's the birthday of the one who set me free. Who liberated me from closed-minded religion and silly superstition. Mithras.

I've always had this question about Easter. If Jesus supposedly died on a Friday (good Friday) then how could he have risen three days later. Isn't Friday evening, when Jesus was buried, to Sunday less than three days?

I've always had this question about Easter. If Jesus supposedly died on a Friday (good Friday) then how could he have risen three days later. Isn't Friday evening, when Jesus was buried, to Sunday less than three days?

Erm... a lot less, since it was Sunday morning when it was still dark/as the sun was rising/just after sunrise...

You are assuming we are all atheists. We aren't. As has been said before, this is exchristian.net, not atheist.net. Please stop stereotyping.

From this day forward I shall eschew paying my mechanic, tipping the waitress or exchanging currency for my groceries because, as an atheist, I really shouldn't be handling anything onto which some imbecile has imprinted "In God We Trust."

Guess this means ex-Christians in the U.S. don't have to pay taxes either, especially since Bush said we aren't Real True American Citizens .

* Since you are an atheist,
I'm not.
why do you celebrate Christmas or Easter?
I don't.
Why do you take vacations during that time?
I often don't. if I do, It's because my company closes like most other businesses in the rest of the country.
Why do you sing Christmas carols?
I don't.
* Nearly every American partakes of the pagan holiday of Halloween. As an atheist agnostic, do you allow your children to partake of this 'fun' holiday?
yes.
If so, you are, in essence, bowing down to pagan gods!
So? They're not real, are they?
Why do you take a 'day of rest'?
Because resting feels good.
Do you take off Saturdays and Sundays?
yes.
It was YHWH who commanded us to rest on the seventh day.
Your religion turned out a good idea. Praise the lord.
Since you're an atheist agnostic, why bother taking a day off from work at all?
I told you, because it feels good. I'd take 4 days off every week if my company would pay me the same for that little work.

These questions are like asking,

If a British person lives and works in the US, do they still celebrate our Independance Day and Thanksgiving? Yes, they do. Just because they are not US nationals doesn't mean they don't take time off from work and go see the fire works.

Questioner, I realize fully these aren't your questions. I got the hint from the title description. :)

So, here's my refutation to these silly questions, as if I'm talking to the original author of this quiz.

Since you are an atheist, why do you celebrate Christmas or Easter? Why do you take vacations during that time? Why do you sing Christmas carols?

Since I'm not an atheist, that label doesn't apply to me. However, I celebrate the Yuletide with my family because they are Christians. My special day (Winter Solstice) usually falls on the 21st of December. So the whole week is dedicated to the celebration of the Yuletide. The focus at this time is not on the birth of a mythical godman neccesarily, but of the special bonds one has forged over many years with family and close friends.

For me, the Winter Solstice is a time of renewal, compassion to my fellow Terra-dwelling beings (human or otherwise) and deep contemplation. Not of a fictional baby in a ratty-looking manger sleeping among animal dung and fodder. And I like some Christmas carols because the tunes are pretty. Don't like it? Well, it ain't your problem, so you can bite my Italian-American butt.

Nearly every American partakes of the pagan holiday of Halloween. As an atheist, do you allow your children to partake of this 'fun' holiday? If so, you are, in essence, bowing down to pagan gods!

You're an idiot. Dressing up as ghoulies, ghosties, long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night ISN'T the same thing as celebrating a pagan tradition.

Halloween in the modern American sense is strictly a fun day for the kids and kids at heart to play dress-up without having to concern themselves that it's childish. It's dedicated to the innocent youths in our communities. It is THEIR time to be young again.

Samhain, the traditional pagan holiday, is a day to remember those who've passed on before us. Hmmm, sounds a lot like All Soul's Day doesn't it? Well, that's because your religion co-opted the concept for their own use and vilified the original.

Why do you take a 'day of rest'? Do you take off Saturdays and Sundays, or some other day of the week? Why? It was YHWH who commanded us to rest on the seventh day. Since you're an atheist, why bother taking a day off from work at all?

The only day of rest I have is whatever day I'm not scheduled to work and, even then, I have responsibilities to deal with. My "day of rest" changes from week to week, or is sometimes eliminated entirely, because I work whenever I'm needed.

It has nothing to do with religion and EVERYTHING to do with the state of my employment. Maybe once you pull your head out of your ass and get a job of your own, you might get that. But I'm not holding my breath.

As an atheist one is free.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell isn't it?

This is good. :woohoo:

I'll even be your accountability partner. :scratch:

So, for starters, you just send me everything and anything that you have that has the words "In God We Trust" printed, stamped or engraved on it. :wicked:

I'll make sure that you never see them again. :HaHa:

I'm here for you, Pitchu. If after sending me all of your stuff, you find that you're having withdrawal symptoms, just let me know and maybe I can send you a little somethin'. :grin:

I wouldn't dream of sullying your hands with my god-entrusted filthy lucre, dear friend Fwee.

I guess I'll just have to burn it... along with the flag.

Are you sure that Halloween is a christian holiday? :eek:

Because, well, I asked my grandparents, and my parents, and my acquaintances, about Halloween, and for all of them, Halloween is some strange kind of american holiday they've only seen in tv shows and movies. Halloween is celebrated in Italy only since last year or two years ago. And we are the most catholic nation there is, I think... hmmm. We don't even have an "official" translation for trick or treat. :shrug:

We have a religious (THUS national) holiday called "Tutti i santi" or "Ognissanti", which means "all saints", on 1st november, and it is simply a day in which all saints are remembered. No going around asking for candies, no dressing up (dressing up is reserved for Carnevale here, in February), nothing at all. It is not a funny holiday, it is just a day in which one stays at home, a bit like sundays.

On the 2nd november we have "Tutti i morti", which means "All dead people", and that is the day we celebrate dead people. Our way to celebrate is rather different from yours, though. No candies, no dressing up, no having fun: during the afternoon, the parents dress their children with formal clothes and drag them to the local graveyard, to visit the tombs of the lost relatives and pay homage, and pray (only christian prayers of course) on the graves of the dead.

After this praying and mourning, everybody gets back home, and nothing else happens.

1st and 2nd november are somehow linked. First you "celebrate" saints, then you "celebrate" other dead people (not saints). So, I think that Halloween is not exactly "catholic". Maybe some bastard hybrid between the "eve" of the saint's day and some pagan druidic celebration?

Are you sure that Halloween is a christian holiday? :eek:

I'm going by memory here, so it's not going to be perfect, but this is what I know...

Nov 1st... All Saints Day, aka. All Hallows Day. The most saintly day of the year...

Oct 31st... All Hallows Eve. The day when witches, warlocks and demons were at their strongest. Something to do with the saintlyness getting weaker as time went by... :shrug:

As you can guess, All Hallows Eve would very likely "mutate" over time to be known as Hallows Eve and thence, through lingual changes, into Halloween. (een being a corrupt form of e'en, which is a varient of even, and archaic or literatery form of evening... while eve is a short form of evening and denoted the day or evening before a religious festival)

Maybe some bastard hybrid between the "eve" of the saint's day and some pagan druidic celebration?
All too likely...

I wouldn't dream of sullying your hands with my god-entrusted filthy lucre, dear friend Fwee.

I guess I'll just have to burn it... along with the flag.

Well, no. See? Umm... I can do that too. :eek:

You live within city limits right? :shrug:

That means that it's not legal for you to burn stuff outside. (that's how it is in Ohio, anyway)

So, since I live in a 'township' and not in the 'city', I'm allowed to burn stuff. :grin:

Like I said, just send it ALL to me, and I'll take care of it. :mellow:

I can see that you are in denial here and that you're letting yourself rationalize the problem, in any way, that will allow you to keep your Godly goods. Like I said earlier, I'm here for you. Don't throw away this opportunity to get some help. Just send your stuff to me. :mellow:

:HaHa:

Incredibly off-topic here, but what the hell happened with your avatar Fwee?

Incredibly off-topic here, but what the hell happened with your avatar Fwee?

CT, tomorrow is the Thanksgiving Holiday over here. Most people celebrate the holiday with a big dinner that includes turkey.

So, I just switched my stuff around for a day or so. That's all. :shrug:

My meeces will be back. I can guarantee that. :HaHa:

<<hint>>

(look under my avatar)

(check out my "Any Gods?" answer. hehe

I don't celebrate christmas or easter.

I don't have children.

My job runs monday through friday, 6am until finish. I reserve sunday for sleeping in late, fucking my gf, and telling your god to go fuck him/her/itself.