Goodbye Jesus

Carmen's Challenging Questions for Atheists

Guest questioner4

Incredibly off-topic here, but what the hell happened with your avatar Fwee?

CT, tomorrow is the Thanksgiving Holiday over here. Most people celebrate the holiday with a big dinner that includes turkey.

So, I just switched my stuff around for a day or so. That's all. :shrug:

My meeces will be back. I can guarantee that. :HaHa:

<<hint>>

(look under my avatar)

(check out my "Any Gods?" answer. hehe

There may be a problem then... the meeces are there, just squished up...

:edit: then again... clearing the cache sorts it out. (and I can't find where to auto-clear the damn thing every time I shut down Firefox... :vent: )

post-38-1132798110.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fweethawt

• crazy-tiger

• Ouroboros

• Taphophilia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There may be a problem then... the meeces are there, just squished up...

:edit: then again... clearing the cache sorts it out. (and I can't find where to auto-clear the damn thing every time I shut down Firefox... :vent: )

TOOLS - OPTIONS - PRIVACY - CLEAR ALL

:grin: That should help. :grin:

Tools - Options - Privacy - Cache - Clear if you want to clear only the temporary internet files (like copies of bboard avatars saved on your computer).

Anyways... just in case anyone else can't see my awesome new Thanksgiving Day avatar and signature, I'll just put them in this here post. :HaHa:

I know how to clear it manually... I just don't know how to get it to auto-clear the damn thing whenever I shut the browser down. (I really don't fancy going through all that palaver myself...)

Here's a thought though... if I set the cache space to 0, that might work. *buggers off to try it*

So, I just switched my stuff around for a day or so. That's all. :shrug:

ONLY a day or so?

But... it is so cute and plumpy and tasty-looking! :HappyCry:

At least keep it in your signature! I want the L33T zombie stuffed turkey!

Ah, Fwee, you're always such a help and support for me -- what would I do without you? :wub:

But no, no city limits issue here, no zoning, no burning regulations, no nothing. It's New York State's equivalent of the Wild West. So why waste the postage and put you to that trouble, right?

I can see the pleasant little fire from my window as I type this.

Are you sure that Halloween is a christian holiday? :eek:

Because, well, I asked my grandparents, and my parents, and my acquaintances, about Halloween, and for all of them, Halloween is some strange kind of american holiday they've only seen in tv shows and movies. Halloween is celebrated in Italy only since last year or two years ago. And we are the most catholic nation there is, I think... hmmm. We don't even have an "official" translation for trick or treat. :shrug:

We have a religious (THUS national) holiday called "Tutti i santi" or "Ognissanti", which means "all saints", on 1st november, and it is simply a day in which all saints are remembered. No going around asking for candies, no dressing up (dressing up is reserved for Carnevale here, in February), nothing at all. It is not a funny holiday, it is just a day in which one stays at home, a bit like sundays.

On the 2nd november we have "Tutti i morti", which means "All dead people", and that is the day we celebrate dead people. Our way to celebrate is rather different from yours, though. No candies, no dressing up, no having fun: during the afternoon, the parents dress their children with formal clothes and drag them to the local graveyard, to visit the tombs of the lost relatives and pay homage, and pray (only christian prayers of course) on the graves of the dead.

After this praying and mourning, everybody gets back home, and nothing else happens.

1st and 2nd november are somehow linked. First you "celebrate" saints, then you "celebrate" other dead people (not saints). So, I think that Halloween is not exactly "catholic". Maybe some bastard hybrid between the "eve" of the saint's day and some pagan druidic celebration?

The American Halloween is an Irish Catholic tradition, brought here by the many Irish immigrants. The holiday is drived from the same Tutti i morti that you celebrate.