Goodbye Jesus

Panendeism

sjessen

PanenDeism is a modernized version of Deism. I find this classification seems to fit my beliefs pretty well. I thought I would use this thread to post things relating to Panendeism and converse with you about the subject.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I'll start with this quote off of an online newspaper today:

Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

He is regarded as the most famous atheist in the world but last night Professor Richard Dawkins admitted he could not be sure that God does not exist.

Wikipedia's definition of PanenDeism:

Panendeism combines deism with panentheism, the belief that the universe is part of God, but not all of God. A component of panendeism is "experiential metaphysics" – the idea that a mystical component exists within the framework of panendeism, allowing the seeker to experience a relationship to Deity through meditation, prayer or some other type of communion.[67] This is a major departure from classical deism.

I haven't found one good definition of PanenDeism yet, but am piecing bits together from various sources so please bear with me!

From www.panendeism.webs.com

Deism is a category of belief in god (Spirit, Deity, ground of being, Dao, etc...) based on reason, experience, and the observation of nature.

Deism vs. Atheism

Deism differs from Atheism in that Atheism is a Rational based category of belief that asserts that God doesn't exist (Strong Atheism) or simply a lack of belief in any god, gods, or any higher power, etc... (Weak Atheism). Deism is a Rational based category of belief in god.

Deism vs. Theism

Deism differs from Theism in that Theism is a traditional and scriptural based category of belief in God, where Deism is a rational based category of belief in god.

Panendeism Defined

Panendeism is a sub-category of Deism. It is based on the speculation that the universe is a part of god, but not all of god and literally means "all in god". Some panendeists have established numerous additional beliefs, some of which are quite detailed, and use more specialized terminology to describe their beliefs. However, any deist who believes that the universe is a part (but not the whole) of god, can be considered a panendeist.

I'm an IDGAFist.

I'm an IDGAFist.

Good to know. Start your own thread then...

Lol! It sounds interesting tho.

Now that there is most likely a multiverse, this could be more true than ever, in a sense.

I've decided to discontinue this thread. I would delete it if I could. I didn't realize this was a place where people were made fun of for their thoughts and beliefs. I thought this Discussion Group was for people to discuss their spirituality. Apparently I was wrong. I guess this topic belongs on the PanenDesim site.

Sorry about this, sjessen. I wish we were more free to express our different views on spirituality/other religions without a lot of criticism, but the nature of this site doesn't really lend itself to that.

I think most people reason that if Christianity is crap, then all other religions are also. A very narrow view.

• Like 2

Guest Valk0010

Isn't there a old school phrase called, don't shit in my pond. Let others have there fun. Their lives don't effect you so let them have there way.

I think your misinterpreting things here.

Nobody, far as I can tell, is poking fun at you or this belief system. Don't ask why I inserted my comment. Sometimes I just throw out what's on my mind. All I meant was I'm beyond caring, at least right now, about what is "true". Mainly because I don't think it's possible to know what "ism" is correct. It was a pointless, off topic post. Sorry if you felt it was making fun.

Ouro was just pointing out that Dawkins is an open atheist. He doesn't believe in "god" bit was at least honest enough to say he couldn't completely rule it out. It had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding.

I've decided to discontinue this thread. I would delete it if I could. I didn't realize this was a place where people were made fun of for their thoughts and beliefs. I thought this Discussion Group was for people to discuss their spirituality. Apparently I was wrong. I guess this topic belongs on the PanenDesim site.

I get where you are coming from. I lean towards deism myself. although I don't think any label can really describe my views entirely.

The best I can put it is I feel there had to be some originator to set things in motion. but I'm not convinced in a personal god like theists believe in. Also I think some of the "everything is part of "god" " Idea is somewhat interesting.

Let's say for example that "god" exploded in the big bang and now the whole known universe/multiverse is now a part of whatever "god" is made up of. I see it as a complex system that operates off it's own feedback. on a very large scale as well as on a smaller scale as it relates to this planet and it's biosphere. All life effects other life in either negative or positive ways and we often affect the world in many ways we are not aware of. it's like many pebbles being tossed into a pond that create ripples that overlap and interact with each other.

one of my room mates (who admittedly was crazy beyond belief) used to say something along the lines of "we are all parts of god experiencing himself" I guess to some degree that is true. whether you are looking at it form a pure physics based perspective or a more spiritual one.

In either case I hope my impact on the overall system turns out to be a good one over all. (at least as far as other living things that my choices and other factors end up impacting anyway)

• Like 1

Sorry. I removed my post. Carry on.

Don't let the Atheist Club here piss on you. This is the Spirituality section. Report maliciousness immediately.

I'm an ex-christian Polytheist. I don't let them chase ME away. Don't let them chase you off. And I'm a fuck of a lot more "silly" than you, in their eyes.

• Like 1

Maliaciousness? Seriously?

I'm not saying it happened in this particular thread, but I have seen it here on occasion and Lunaticheathen has too.

Yes, upon reflection I would say there was no maliciousness here. You should certainly report any harsh criticism to the moderators.

For those of us who have adopted another religion, especially if it was adopted after a long period of searching and reflection, goes very deep and it is very important to us.

• Like 2

I think your misinterpreting things here.

Nobody, far as I can tell, is poking fun at you or this belief system. Don't ask why I inserted my comment. Sometimes I just throw out what's on my mind. All I meant was I'm beyond caring, at least right now, about what is "true". Mainly because I don't think it's possible to know what "ism" is correct. It was a pointless, off topic post. Sorry if you felt it was making fun.

Ouro was just pointing out that Dawkins is an open atheist. He doesn't believe in "god" bit was at least honest enough to say he couldn't completely rule it out. It had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Again, apologies for the misunderstanding.

Oh my, McDaddy, I did totally misunderstand what you and Ouroborus were saying. Now I understand. Thanks for explaining. All is well. smile.png

Don't let the Atheist Club here piss on you. This is the Spirituality section. Report maliciousness immediately.

I'm an ex-christian Polytheist. I don't let them chase ME away. Don't let them chase you off. And I'm a fuck of a lot more "silly" than you, in their eyes.

Thanks, Lunaticheathen! Your comments made me feel much better! smile.png

Sorry. I removed my post. Carry on.

It's okay. smile.png

:)

Good! That's the problem with text though. Can't convey certain things like body language, etc. I'm a smart ass, I play around too much probably. There's certain personality types that dont like it. (*cough*Legion*cough) :)

But I meant nothing besides, well apparently, nothing.

• Like 1

For those of us who have adopted another religion, especially if it was adopted after a long period of searching and reflection, goes very deep and it is very important to us.

This is so true for me, too. Ever since I left Christianity I have been looking and looking to understand what I think and feel and believe. I feel like most my life I have been on a spiritual quest. It is very important to me and it helps me personally to be able to find a place to fit in.

• Like 1

smile.png

Good! That's the problem with text though. Can't convey certain things like body language, etc. I'm a smart ass, I play around too much probably. There's certain personality types that dont like it. (*cough*Legion*cough) smile.png

But I meant nothing besides, well apparently, nothing.

yelrotflmao.gif

You crack me up (when I get where you are coming from). You're so right about the text thing. A lot of what we normally pick up in person is lost. You meant no harm. I thought you were making fun of me, like "This is dumb. What the fuck does it matter?" I see now I was totally wrong. You were just saying something like, "I'm at the point where I don't care what I am." (I hope that is close to what you meant) Anyway, I am glad we straightened this out!

Didn't say it was you. Didn't say there was any in this thread. Just supporting a fellow ex-christian non-atheist.

After the shit we ALL get for being non-christians, we few deists/theists don't need shit from atheists.

I get where you are coming from. I lean towards deism myself. although I don't think any label can really describe my views entirely.

The best I can put it is I feel there had to be some originator to set things in motion. but I'm not convinced in a personal god like theists believe in. Also I think some of the "everything is part of "god" " Idea is somewhat interesting.

I feel similarly. I don't think I will probably agree with everything in Panendeism, but it is a close fit so far. This is a relatively new concept. The name, Panendeism, was coined in 2000 and according to the website on Panendeism the number of people reporting to be Panendeists is growing.

I like Panendeism or Panentheism because according to the definitions I read, Panentheism is based more on scriptures whereas Panendeism is deist which relies on reason and nature.

If God does help us, I think it is to help us with our path, our personal growth, our understanding, finding solutions to situations that have us flummoxed. I think this is done through an inner knowing or giving us inspiration.

Didn't say it was you. Didn't say there was any in this thread. Just supporting a fellow ex-christian non-atheist.

After the shit we ALL get for being non-christians, we few deists/theists don't need shit from atheists.

I'm kinda glad this happened to bring some things out in the open because I have felt uncomfortable not being an atheist on this site at times. It appears others here have too. It's like if you're not a Christian, then you must be an atheist. I think Christians see it that way and that is a stigma I am not comfortable with 'cause I do believe there is a God, just not biblegod.

This is so true for me, too. Ever since I left Christianity I have been looking and looking to understand what I think and feel and believe. I feel like most my life I have been on a spiritual quest. It is very important to me and it helps me personally to be able to find a place to fit in.

I think all of us here relate to this.

It's difficult extracting "god" out of the "god-shaped hole" and not having something to stick back in. That's why many ex-C's go through other forms of worship, try other religions, etc before arriving at atheism. It's a big change. When you've had an object to focus your worship on for so long, simply discarding it with nothing to replace it with feels "empty".

As such, I have come to believe that that is just the nature of reality. So I embrace the emptiness. And I believe humanity has got to take care of ourselves, since there is no superpower to do it for us.