Goodbye Jesus

Church Giving To Help The Needy

electech98

I was going through my church's financials today (since I used to be a deacon, I received all the financial reports).

And I am pissed I didn't see this sooner when I was blinded as a Christian.

At the end of 2011, a year-end report of the financials is given to all the members of the congregation. Here is what is pissing me off (numbers are rounded to nearest $50):

Total income for 2011: $242,100

Total Minister's Compensation Package: $86,650 (35.79%)

Total Dues to Denominational Bodies: $32,350 (13.36%)

Total Payments to Subcontractors (Secretary, Organists/pianists, Custodian, Gardener, Guest Speakers): $19,550 (8.08%)

Total Utilities: $9,100 (3.76%)

The rest is maintenance, insurance, advertising, supplies, etc.

And the kicker:

Total given to Benevolence: $12,650 - fucking
5.23%(!!!)
went to programs or individuals in need.

Fucking sham, that's all it is.

<RAGE> cussing.gif

How the FUCK do churches qualify for tax-exempt charity status again??????

According to the Better Business Bureau, the American Red Cross uses 92% (!!!) of its income on its programs to help those in need. http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/human-services/american-red-cross-in-washington-dc-679/financial

Fuck my church.

• Like 3

I hear you. 07-09 I lived in FL and the people at the local greek church were loaded (I was / am not). They paid 110,000$ for a famous ikonographer to come in and paint a huge ikon on the wall.

The majority of the giving goes to the paid propagandist - the pastor. Makes me sick.

They're able to get away with it because the IRS and other government people are too scared to enforce the rules about tax exempt statuses for churches.

• Like 1

This is one big reason why I hate organized religion of any kind. Its always the same, the guy at the top gets the most.

A church is a business just like any other.

When you read the financials, all you need to do is substitute the word "tithes" for "sales", and "minister" (or "pastor") for "President/CEO".

As with any other private business, the President/CEO is free to reward himself with generous bonuses and perks, as well as help himself to petty cash for emergency expenses such as VIP tickets for the Super Bowl, or a weekend shopping spree in Beverly Hills for his wife.

And i'll remind you that when you fail to tithe, you are stealing the Lard's money (Malachi 3:8)!! PageofCupsNono.gif

On average only 29 percent of church spending is given to humanitarianism.

At least with church and state we dont haft to worry about the theocrats controlling our government.

Fuck, my wife almost gives that damn much. Alone.

So why not 10%?

Hypocritical fuckers.

It's rare to see a church give even 10% to an outside cause. Most funds tend to go to facilities and salaries.

This makes me wish I could see the numbers for our mainstream churches over here. :scratch:

A church is a business just like any other.

When you read the financials, all you need to do is substitute the word "tithes" for "sales", and "minister" (or "pastor") for "President/CEO".

I was telling this to a (Christian) friend of mine. Suffice it to say, he was not happy.

Apparently it's unfair to tar them with the same brush because it implies a church exists to maximise profit, and businesses are unethical.

By the way, I know I'm actually being generous with that 5.23%. Some of the money that went to "benevolence" actually went to another church in the denomination for a new sign for their property. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual figure for money going to humanitarian causes was closer to 3.5% or 4% at the most.

Oh, how Jesus would weep.

Wait a minute, that pastor was paid $86,650 for the year??!! Jesus mother-fucking christ!! That's $1,666.35 a week!! No wonder some pastors who lose their faith have trouble with leaving and facing the inevitable drop in salary!!!

• Like 1

Wait a minute, that pastor was paid $86,650 for the year??!! Jesus mother-fucking christ!! That's $1,666.35 a week!! No wonder some pastors who lose their faith have trouble with leaving and facing the inevitable drop in salary!!!

I was thinking I'm not too far into college, and I can just change majors, then make the big bucks $$$$

Just kidding. I can't scam innocent people. I'm not a monster.

• Like 2

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Singapore_s_Methodist_bishop_overpa_08292006.html

Singapore- The bishop of the Methodist Church in Singapore was mistakenly overpaid for five years, the church said Wednesday. An internal review found Bishop Robert Solomon's pay and allowances totaled 946,000 Singapore dollars (606,410 US dollars) since he took office in January 2001.

The church's highest office bearer received nearly 372,000 Singapore dollars (238,000 US) more than what he should have.

The overpayment was an "honest mistake," The Straits Times quoted a church spokesman as saying.

A couple of sites of interest regarding this topic. The first one will show the actual tax form, 990, of their organization if they use this form to file taxes which many do. Over on the right side of the page is where you get started by hitting the 990 button to get to the next page where you can plug in the actual EIN if you know it. If you don't you can just use some of the org's name in another part to get to their 990s. It was a fucking eye opener for me when I was checking out a radio clown's salary. I've been following his show, off and on, for years because I've been fascinated by his downward spin into a fantasy world of 'only Jesus counts and nothing else including this world, family, etc.'. Also, he begs shamelessly for money during bi-annual 'fund raisers' as he calls them. During those times he talks non stop about how his ministry has changed lives, he reads testimonies ad nauseum, and craps out bible verses forever. The thing that really made me wanna vomit was during one of these events he said that even some unemployed folks were sending him money because of the importance of his alleged work. So I checked him out and found that during the best economic times he paid himself over 150,000/yr and his 3rd wife (he deserted the 2nd one who had 2 small kids prior to this marraige) was paid over 50,000/yr as his secretary. All for doing just about 1 hr radio time plus a few hrs/daily for peripherial duties. Not bad for preaching the good news eh?

So the first site shows actual 990s with all the salaries and other pertinent facts. The second site doesn't go into as much detail but still shows percentage of salary vs total revenue, etc.

http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

I think that means salary and medical and retirement. But it still is much more than the avg American makes. The mega church pastors probably make 6 figs plus benefits and any of the fuckers on TV are getting 7 figs. Then, the brainwashed brag about Pat Robertson's operation blessing which takes in tens of millions a yr and has like a couple trucks they will send to disaster areas and once a yr they will go to bumfuck india and dig a well and make it look like the money is actually doing something.

Total Dues to Denominational Bodies: $32,350 (13.36%)

What? What the hell does a demonation do to support the local church that justifies this kind of fee? At best, it lends them their name, which makes the local church more marketable. If this is the case, which I suspect it is, this is hard evidence that a church is merely a franchise business like a McDonald's.

If you are still on your church's FB page or have their mailing list, I'd make these numbers known to other members of the congregation. They have a right to know and make up their own minds.

• Like 2

I've said it in another post, it's all about the money. Many people go into the preacher-hood because of the money. My step-father did.

I alwasy thought it would be a better idea for the church members to see the pastor's income and if if they want to contribute to that, they could, by choice.

Getting the member of the church to bring items, each week for the needy, like diapers, baby formula, coats, socks, clothing and food, would be better than blindly giving your "tithe" to the church.

But then, the pastor would be living in poverty and the mega churchs would go bankrupt.

• Like 1

But then, the pastor would be living in poverty and the mega churchs would go bankrupt.

I see no problem with this situation :P

I was thinking I'm not too far into college, and I can just change majors, then make the big bucks $$$$

Just kidding. I can't scam innocent people. I'm not a monster.

Yeah, it takes a special type of person to be able to do that deliberately. Losing your faith while in the ministry is one thing. But deliberately bullshitting people out of their money? That's fucked up. Nevertheless, I have no doubt that there are many out there who have done and continue to do exactly that.

I'm not going to say that every church should be taxed but those mega millionaries ripping off the poor should be taxed and taxed heavily.

Here's billionaire Kenneth Copeland and his 1.3 billion dollar tax free business.....

Giving to a church is probably one of the worst ways to give to charity.

• Super Moderator

Fucking amateurs. The RCC really has it going on!