Goodbye Jesus

Backsliding

Adam5

Emotions are a powerful thing. We let emotions trump rationality all the time. Until people are willing to accept an inconvenient truth over something that gives them a warm fuzzy feeling they will stay in their bubble.

That term suggests to me that you view your period of rejection of Christian teachings as a period when your judgment was led astray by sin or sinful desires - I'm just concluding that from my experience with the term "backsliding." Does this mean that you can demonstrate to yourself that your insights then entailed or were based on false conclusions from evidence?

The Christian life is not easy. We all have doubts. Why I fell away, and why I have come back, I dont know. I am trying to figure it out.

Adam, if you're genuinely trying to figure things out, then I take back my recent "sounding like a troll" comment.

Hey, Adam, your responses of one-liners cum Bible verses and the occasional emoticon and the snarky tone sounds JUST LIKE JayL. Like JayL and Thumby, you are playing around with superficial bullshit replies. You're sounding already like a troll.

Agree.

Adam5 is JayL.

The pattern fits. After being banned, he's stayed away for a while to let the heat die down. Now he's back.

Hello again, Jay! :)

BAA.

• Like 1

Notice you stil haven't got around to those posts yet, Adam. Think I am the only one who has noticed that? It's effecting your testimony, but I'm sure you know that. Have the decency to admit it, Adam. I'll give you a few more posts to get to that before I discount you as yet another hypocritical Christian. Remember, your fruits are showing and they don't look that good at the moment.

Personally I don't care what religion you have as long as you don't hurt others. So if you respect us we will respect you. Then we can all get along.

I like that. I think tolerance of differing opinions is a good thing on a web forum.

Hi folks, I was on this forum for a couple of months in summer when I had backsliden from the Christian faith. I have since gone back to Christianity again. Why the hell would I do such a silly thing you ask smile.png I have entered the Lion's Den. I know I am in big trouble now! Kinda missed this place, but going to be strange now I am on the other side.

We don't care what you believe.

Where does it say, in the bible, that it was in fact a metaphor?

Hi Raoul, well I guess thats just personal interpretation. Taking a verse, and reading it in the immediate context, and in the light of the other teaching in the gospel.

I'll take that as a concession since 'personal' interpretations are subject to the wild whims of an individual. Regarding your other 2 posts

1. In the one you cast aspersions on what I said about other religions and philosophies teaching the same or similar things as Jesus. You claim they don't 'stand up to scrutiny'. I guess that depends on how much faith you have in your own interpetation of those teachings compared to the academic/scholastic writings that support them. Writings by many of the serious minded non-xtians I and others have studied. And this leads to the 2nd comment by you

2. You said in another note that faith plays a keyrole and then quote Hebrews as though I'm not familar with that book - I am. It does nothing to support your premises because it's from a xtian writer's perspective which has nothing to do with critical thinking, empirical observations, etc. So your point, if you had one, is mute.

In fact, without believers in the US it's highly unlikely there would have been enough political support to invade Iraq. Belief in god/bible is not correlated with good values.

Yes warmongers like George Bush and Tony Blair as Christians. Not something I could get my head around either.

What are you seeing that I'm not Adam....everything god made?? Does that include the talking snake in Genesis? It ALWAYS ends right there for me...no need to go any further into the 'holy book'.

Maybe that was the problem, perhaps, and I'm not saying this is the case, but you could have taken the stories from the Bible too literally, when you were a Christian.

Maybe it's my skeptical mind at work (again) but why do I think you're just putting everyone on?

Hi Raoul, I just telling it as it is. When I joined ex-C I had lost faith and stopped going to church for a few months. Recently I have started going back again. I'm not a fundamentalist, and Im not out to force my views on anyone, and I dont claim to have it figured out, so maybe my style is different to others who visit here.

Then what's your take on the book of Genesis, Adam?

Was your namesake really created out of mud? And his wife, out of his rib?

Oh and the universe... 6-10,000 years old or 13.72 billion years old?

Greetings BAA, Genesis - legends, maybe some history. Adam & Eve - not real people. Age of the universe - ~13 billion. I guess this disqualifies me from genuine Christian TM status :)

• Super Moderator
Maybe it's my skeptical mind at work (again) but why do I think you're just putting everyone on?

Hi Raoul, I just telling it as it is. When I joined ex-C I had lost faith and stopped going to church for a few months. Recently I have started going back again. I'm not a fundamentalist, and Im not out to force my views on anyone, and I dont claim to have it figured out, so maybe my style is different to others who visit here.

So why hang out here rather than a Christian website where there are people who can relate to your unfounded beliefs?

Yeah, right - it's true because Paul said it right? But isn't that the SAME Paul who actually created the cult out of thin air? (Re-read Galations and ponder its significance before responding)....

Jesus founded Christianity. The apostle Paul was chosen by God to preach the gospel of Jesus to the gentiles.

Clever! wink.png

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you will win a thousand battles."

Sun Tzu.

You have to know your enemies, otherwise you can't pray for and bless them ;) btw I dont consider anyone here my enemy.

Two people so far have pointed out that you've answered your own question about the rationality of Christianity, care to acknowledge them or will you continue ignoring them? What you chose to do will reveal your fruits that you just spoke of, remember that.

lol :D very good I like that. I agree all posters have made some good points, and I really need time to reflect.

I am trying in vain to respond to every post, but can't keep up. I could really do with other Christians here to pick up the mantle.

Yeah, right - it's true because Paul said it right? But isn't that the SAME Paul who actually created the cult out of thin air? (Re-read Galations and ponder its significance before responding)....

Jesus founded Christianity. The apostle Paul was chosen by God to preach the gospel of Jesus to the gentiles.

I cannot believe you are responding like this - just blanketly and blindly quoting the cult doctrine. Where is your source and yes even in the bible, to support those allegations? Jesus' message was primarily if not ONLY for the Jews as what he said himself over and over. And then he appointed Peter to spread the message. Paul comes along and in Galations he sets the strawman up by claiming to have been given the message from god himself and NOT from men which is denigrating Peter along with all the other disciples! But I'm not about to fall into some kind of trap of trying to explain every jot and tittle regarding these facts. Especially when the only responses you utter are what you've been doctrinally fed by the cult itself.

Two people so far have pointed out that you've answered your own question about the rationality of Christianity, care to acknowledge them or will you continue ignoring them? What you chose to do will reveal your fruits that you just spoke of, remember that.

lol biggrin.png very good I like that. I agree all posters have made some good points, and I really need time to reflect.

I am trying in vain to respond to every post, but can't keep up. I could really do with other Christians here to pick up the mantle.

they're not going to pick up the mantle because:

1. There aren't any around or if so they're hiding like xtians usually do and

2. There's no mantle to pick up because we defend the truth whereas the cultists defend a delusion based on some kind of childlike, blind faith.

There can be no christianity without the OT, because THAT IS THE GOD JESUS FOLLOWED. He KNEW what was in the OT... and he promoted THAT god shamelessly.

Thats not the Christian view. Jesus didnt just follow God, he is God. Jesus is God the flesh.

As to understanding the OT, that reflects the understanding of God by the authors of those books at that point in history. It reflects the culture at the time of writing.

Do you not see the elitism in the NT? Is not christianity itself elitist? Where do you think bigotry comes from? You can't whitewash christianity... it's very base is hatred, violence, misogyny, genocide, bigotry, and elitism.

I disagree. Its very base is the belief in the person of Jesus Christ. Thats what Christian means, A follower of Christ.

In fact, without believers in the US it's highly unlikely there would have been enough political support to invade Iraq. Belief in god/bible is not correlated with good values.

Yes warmongers like George Bush and Tony Blair as Christians. Not something I could get my head around either.

Seems like you have good values despite your beliefs regarding one subject. I'll join with others then that say it's cool with me if want to believe in christianity. As long as you maintain your humanity, don't use it to discriminate against or otherwise harm others, it doesn't bother me what you believe. (not that you need my approval smile.png )

Hi Adam,

I wondered where you went :)

Your statement below completely nullifies the entire gospel:

...Genesis - legends, maybe some history. Adam & Eve - not real people...

According to the bible (Romans 5:12), if there was no Adam, then there was no original sin. If there was no original sin, then we are not all born into sin. If we are not all born into sin, then we did not need a redeemer (Jesus).

I appreciate you coming back here. It shows that you are still searching and that is good. You will figure out what's best for you if you keep an open mind.

Why not keep the positive character qualities from your faith? I did. I live by love, compassion, and generosity and I affect people for the good because of it. It works the same with or without an unsupportable belief in an invisible god.

I am going to take a guess here that you faced massive relationship pressure to re-convert. Perhaps the risk of losing relationships with your family and friends was just too much? I totally get that, but that is not a reason to accept something you know is false. You are too young to sell out like that. Follow your own thoughts. When you do, you will find new friends. If your family pushes you away, then there were bigger relationship issues there to start with.

Just a few thoughts my friend.

Jason

• Like 5

Nope, once more you're merely spouting doctrine. He NEVER even claimed to be a god. Any verse such as the one where he allegedly said 'I and the father are one' was translated incorrectly. In fact that verse, when studying in the original Greek meant 'we are of the same mind' - no different than me saying my wife and I are in complete accord (agreement) regarding something. The more salient and correct view if you're a theist is to say he was 'appointed' to be a prophet or teacher or whatever. He could also be considered to be the first born of the Jewish/xtian sect per Rom. 8:29; Col 1:15, 18; Heb 1:6; Rev. 1:5.

Also, didn't he even say to Mary 'go to my brothers and tell them I am going to my father and their father'? (loose paraphrase - I'm not about to go get a bible to thump it out with you).

If you're gonna blindly quote doctrines, you'd better get them right because you're actually insulting our intelligence or at least mine!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
Jesus is God the flesh.

Get the fuck outta here! Really??? Prove it.

There can be no christianity without the OT, because THAT IS THE GOD JESUS FOLLOWED. He KNEW what was in the OT... and he promoted THAT god shamelessly.

Thats not the Christian view. Jesus didnt just follow God, he is God. Jesus is God the flesh.

As to understanding the OT, that reflects the understanding of God by the authors of those books at that point in history. It reflects the culture at the time of writing.

Do you not see the elitism in the NT? Is not christianity itself elitist? Where do you think bigotry comes from? You can't whitewash christianity... it's very base is hatred, violence, misogyny, genocide, bigotry, and elitism.

I disagree. Its very base is the belief in the person of Jesus Christ. Thats what Christian means, A follower of Christ.

ohh... I get it. God figured out what a prick he was, decided to be 'born again' as Jesus to show us a gentler, more loving side. (without actually admitting he was a bastard, or apologizing for being a bloodthirsty monster...a non-apology really)

So Jesus is the reformed and contrite god. Sort of a 'god 2.0'

• Like 2

ohh... I get it. God figured out what a prick he was, decided to be 'born again' as Jesus to show us a gentler, more loving side. (without actually admitting he was a bastard, or apologizing for being a bloodthirsty monster...a non-apology really)

So Jesus is the reformed and contrite god. Sort of a 'god 2.0'

I am laughing my arse off reading your comment. And because of what you just wrote I think I'll bow out and let you continue the fun - you have a gift of putting stuff down that is both funny and yet serious...

Nope, once more you're merely spouting doctrine. He NEVER even claimed to be a god. Any verse such as the one where he allegedly said 'I and the father are one' was translated incorrectly.

My mormon buddy's father, a college prof in linguistics, blew me out of the water on this when I was still a believer. I very much knew I had been pawned when he was through with me.