Goodbye Jesus

What's your Fav Dinosaurs?

Onyx

Gladly...

http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/nitpick.cgi?np=495

Notice how these twits try to fabricate a lame-brained harmonization that Han Solo was able to navigate through a black hole cluster, thus avoiding a much longer route and making his 12 parsec Kessel run"faster".

However, this is contextually invalid, as the conversation in the cantina was clearly about ship speed, not navigation. And to further the blunder, when the Millenium Falcon is being chased by two Star Destroyers later in the film, Luke says, "Why don't you out run them? I thought you said this thing was fast!" Oopsie.

A better explanation would have been to simply say that a parsec is a unit of time in the Star Wars universe, but alas, George Lucas fell prey to the stupid harmonizations provided by his fans. And so in Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Anakin and Padme use the term "parsec" in its proper Earth context of distance, completely contradicting the context of Episode IV. :Doh:

At least before, it was a somewhat neglegable error, but now it's become a full-blown inconsistancy and is thus completely irreconcilable. Just like the Bible! :grin:

Notice how Christian-like this all is. Instead of just accepting a teensy error, they attempt to plug the hole with a convoluted explanation, which actually ends up making it much worse! And all along, they completely miss the point, because to even have to provide an explanation is to assume that the author made an error while telling his story. In the case of Star Wars, it's quite clear that George Lucas didn't know what a parsec was, and even the best, most compatible explanation couldn't possibly change the fact that George Lucas made an error.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Neil

• Gnosis of Disbelief

• Wertbag

• Onyx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't rule it out, but it seems that to get to T-Rex as a hunter, you have to assume other things that there just isn't evidence for.

I reckon thats where our knowledge will hit the brick wall of time. Finding physical evidence is going to be incredibly hard, and we know that soft tissue doesn't remain, so barring a Jurrasic Park type resurrection chances are we will never know a large piece of the puzzle.

Still at the speed of human development who knows what might be possible in another hundred years...

In fact, if you want to see a good parallel to Christian apologetics, look no further than Star Wars. Those movies are just loaded with contradictions, and the harmonizations are often funnier than the mistakes themselves. In fact, nothing is more Christian-like than the so-called "explanation" for Han Solo's use of the word "parsec".

Ah, the joy of fan boys. Its always amazing how many people wish Star Wars/Star trek/battlestar galactica or similar shows are real. Ol' Lucas created a great story and a whole industry around his mental image, but he'd be the first to admit that his knowledge of space is limited and what you see is simply his dreams of what it should have looked like.

Some of the major movie mistakes are a good laugh, my favourite has to be the gas tank on the back of the chariot in Gladiator. Missed it first time I saw the movie, but now that I've had it pointed out I can't fail to see it.