Goodbye Jesus

Why Is It So Hard For Some To Let Go Of The Bible?

Geezer

My faith, when I was a believer, was definitely linked to the bible being literally true, factually, and historically accurate. I intuitively realized if I ever found any evidence that the bible wasn’t the inspired inerrant word of God that would damage, and maybe even destroy, my faith.

I was a long time member of the Church of Christ and that relationship clearly influenced my belief that they bible was the literal words of God. Biblical inerrancy is an enormously significant tenet in the Church of Christ. Their allegiance and faith in the inerrancy of the bible is so strong they have committed the heresy of bibliolatry. In other words they have turned the bible into an object of worship. Their words and actions indicate they believe the bible is essentially a divine instruction manual that must be followed as literally as humanly possible 100% of the time.

Although the Church of Christ takes biblical inspiration and inerrancy to ridiculous extremes I am relatively certain most believers “faith” is contingent upon the bible being true in some literal sense. In order to be a Christian a person must at least believe Jesus was a real person, he was literally crucified, and literally rose from the dead. If a person isn’t willing to accept or “believe” at least that then they really aren’t Christians no matter what they may call themselves.

Long before it became a real problem I recognized the contradictions and inconsistencies that are replete throughout the bible. Due to the extreme and oppressive legalism that is prevalent throughout the Churches of Christ my recognition of the problems that were obvious to me in scripture eventually became so problematic that I had to resolve those issues.

I ended up dedicating several years of my life to studying and researching religious history searching for truth that could be validated by real historical evidence. Long before I finished my research I had validated to my complete satisfaction that the bible was a fully human creation as was Christianity. The evidence conclusively proved to my complete satisfaction there was nothing “Divine” about either the bible or Christianity.

I say all of that to get to my point. I see numerous posts by folks who have left the faith that apparently have not resolved their issues with the bible. They seemingly continue to believe the bible is in some way true. If you really believe the bible is true then you probably need to rethink your decision to leave the faith. That is so because you will continue to live in fear that you are going to end up in hell if you can’t resolve the question of the bible’s supposed divine status.

The bible is simply a collection of ancient myths, legends, and folklore written in the form of parables, metaphor, and allegory. Several acknowledged bible scholars believe the gospels are parables and some believe the gospels are Jewish Midrash, in other words stories/parables created from OT stories that were rewritten into new stories.  

When a non-believer willingly enters into a debate on the potential meaning or interpretation of some specific scripture or book with a Christian they are acknowledging they believe the bible is in some way literally true. Once that barrier is breached the “debate” has already been lost. At that point the meaning of words is being argued instead of whether the words are true or not. The real debate should be about whether the bible reflects history or myth assuming a person wants to waste their time in a meaningless argument that isn’t likely to change anyone’s mind.

I am firmly convinced that until a person can fully accept the fact that the bible isn't true in any literal, factual, or historic sense they will never be able to resolve their issues with religion or be able to  walk away from it and put it behind them......forever. And the only way to be able to let go of the bible is through education. Stop reading apologists and start reading religous historians like Robert Price, Bart Ehrman, Karen Armstrong, Elaine Pagels, and numerous other religious historians or continue to fret about spending eternity in hell.

• Like 4

Hey geezer

Great point. I too was a Biblical literalist Wendyloser.gif  and it was hard to change how I viewed the Bible. As a fundy at heart (black/white thinker) it was hard to move into the gray (a la Brian McLaren's Generous Orthodoxy) but once I did, the whole thing came undone. Only once I was "out" was I able to read Bart Ehrman (without checking over my shoulder from time to time). As a fundagelical, I'd only have read such a book if forced to read it, and even so, I'd have prayed in tongues the whole time I did so.

I look forward to others' comments!

Unfortunately for me, I get tripped up on the details.  Take a look at some of my older posts and you will see that I delve into things very deeply, trying to get answers-- and in religion, that is a difficult thing.  I can convince myself that that the entire bible is sheer bunk and utterly ridiculous, then out of nowhere, I will see something religious that will get me thinking-- I will go on a few Internet sites to see if I can clear things up, and then come across a few apologist arguements that seem convincing and ugghh--- I am back to questioning everything.  I have to keep digging myself out of holes over and over.  So, for some of us, we just have a hard time working through every apologist arguement-- as some are fairly convincing at times.  Some of these people truly believe that the scriptures mean something-- and spend a lot of time building their defense.  I am learning to do the same thing from the other side now-- the atheist arguement, if you will!-- and that I why I so often come to this site for assistance.  But, letting go, or getting tripped up by the Bible at times happens to me more often than I wish it would. 

There are definitely Christians out there who don't really *need* the bible to be literally true. And that's a whole different kind of faith than the literalists push.

"Bibliolatry" is an interesting word. I didn't have the word as a kid, but I noticed the same thing: these people were literally worshipping a book. In a literalist church, they'll happily question society, the nature of their gawd... even reality itself. But the accuracy of their book/idol... Unthinkable!

.........  But, letting go, or getting tripped up by the Bible at times happens to me more often than I wish it would. 

Would it be helpful at all for you to know that there is not one single word that has thus far been found anywhere in the annals of history that confirms anything written in the gospels actually happened, or that any of the gospel characters ever existed in the flesh, including Jesus?

Most people are not aware no one even knows where the gospels came from? The only existed in oral form for untold decades before anyone began writing them down. There are no original autographs because they never existed in the first place. The similarities between the gospels and numerous other pagan dying rising god men stories is impossible to conceal. These stories existed for hundreds of years before the Jesus story began to circulate.

Many of the NT writings are proven forgeries. Paul’s letters preceded the gospels by decades and if they are read it context it becomes evident that Paul was unaware of an earthly Jesus. Paul’s Jesus was a spiritual messiah that lived in the heavens. God spoke to Paul through the OT not by verbal inspiration. Paul believed Jesus was coming soon to establish an earthly Kingdom but that has yet to occur.

No one named Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John wrote anything. Those names were added to the oral stories after they were written down decades later by unknown scribes. When the bible is read and studied form the historic critical method the stories and events quickly unravel and it becomes clear the stories are myths. When the Book of Acts, for example, is read by a critical historian it quickly becomes obvious that the entire book is a complete fabrication. Its fiction disguised as history and that is true of the gospels too.

The entire bible is a collection of myths and fables masquerading as historical fact. There is no, as in none, not any paper trail that confirms any of it ever happened. According to history no one living in the early part of the first century ever heard of a man named Jesus of Nazareth and that makes sense because Nazareth didn't exist when Jesus supposedly walked the earth.

And all of that only touches on all the problems with the gospels and the bible in general  that have been exposed to the light of day by religious scholars.

• Super Moderator

Americans can't escape the Bible.

It's in every motel room. We swear on the Bible. It's the most common literary reference. It is the symbol of America, just like the flag.

It's no wonder some people have difficulty not taking it seriously. The fucking book is everywhere.

I think it's because brainwashing is so hard to undo. The neural pathways are already there, and it's easy to slip back into them. It's comfortable and easy. Also, there are some things that give a positive emotional feeling about believing. (You can feel the same thing when you listen to a moving Broadway tune about something that didn't really happen in real life, but emotionally resonates, the same way you can listen to a moving hymn on how beautiful and wonderful it is that Jesus died so selflessly for sinners.) Emotions are very powerful, and they can sweep away logic and reason. But making decisions based on emotions alone (without facts) is foolish.

Deconverting fully takes time. We have to be patient with ourselves and each other as we / they go through this process.

Geezer, you're right to point out that arguing with apologists on actual bible meanings isn't a good strategy. It really only addresses one prong of what makes us leave the faith--that is, the text itself: the vile and cruel nature of God as presented in the bible, the unfairness of the morality as presented in the bible, the historical and scientific inaccuracies, the contradictions in the text from one book to another.

The reasons to reject the book itself are not disputable: Once you have any basic understanding of science (hence why Christians are trying SO HARD to make public schools "teach the controversy" of creation vs evolution when there IS NO controversy among scientists... or anyone who has eyes and a functioning brain who has allowed themselves to look at the fossils of bones on display in any natural history museum or even online via the internet, also old cave formations like stalagmites which cannot be formed any more quickly whether there was a worldwide flood or not) you can't be duped into thinking we live on a young earth. Then you realize this Christian religion hasn't been around as long as mankind itself has been around--not even close. Then you start looking at history and realize just how much this religion drew from its previous influences on society.

That's why so much of it isn't making sense to people today--we don't have a general superstitious agreement / accepted suppositions that there is some sort of afterlife, or that sacrifices to gods will appease them and prevent natural disasters, or that women are property of men, or that slavery is okay, or that being gay is morally wrong, or that responsible sexuality outside of marriage is horrific and should be condemned and that the death penalty isn't too strong of a punishment for sex between consenting adults who aren't married.

The bible came out of a primitive time before people had access to knowledge. Almost all of them were illiterate as well. Now that we can read and we can so easily research to find out what the truth is, we can't be duped so easily anymore, and if we WERE duped, we can learn enough to dismantle those beliefs and leave them behind like the rubbish they are.

A lot of people don't want to believe, so they won't look or see the information that's out there even when it's right under their own noses. In psychology, this is known as cognitive dissonance. We'll do anything to defend an important belief that we hold and don't want to release. The human brain does not like being wrong, especially when it has high stakes in being right.

I still say, we must have compassion for those who have begun to see the truth and are adjusting their thinking to reality. It isn't an easy process even though all the available knowledge is obviously in support of reality rather than Christianity. And of course when a recent deconvert speaks with a believer, that believer is going to present all the arguments he uses on his own brain to keep himself brainwashed--and distract away from any issues that could truly be a threat to his own beliefs. (Try discussing evolution with someone who doesn't believe it, and you'll see the most willful refusal to even LOOK at the evidence all around us. Distracting sentences like, "Well, if it were true, and we had actual evidence of transitions between species, then so many people wouldn't believe in creation and there wouldn't be a controversy." In other words, "I don't need to look for myself, because a lot of people agree with my point of view, so that must mean we could be right." When... no, it doesn't.)

This is getting long-winded, so I'll just say that the more you look for the truth, the more you'll find it, and the more proof you'll have against the bible being the inspired word of god. But we should have compassion for people who are still stuck in superstitious thinking and lies, because we know it takes courage to be intellectually honest with ourselves after so much brainwashing. We're all only human, after all.

• Like 2

Yes- RaLeah-- you nailed it!  It is brainwashing-- and apologists are very good at what they do-- some actually believe what they profess even!!  It is hard for me sometimes because people want to try to prove the bible true-- an archeological find becomes proof the bible is true.  An egyption story has some tenuous tie with a bible story--poof, the bible is true.  Some things are not easily disproven, and even as someone who no longer believes that that bible is true-- I find my self having to rely on faith sometimes to do just that.  A perfect example of this might be that in the future, if there is an archeological dig somewhere near where Nazareth is purported to be-- if the archeologist is trying to prove the bible-- any discovery will be trotted out as "Nazereth discovered--confirms Bible"-- uggh.  You then have your proof.  It may just be a community that existed, and have nothing to do with Nazereth, but you will never hear it like that!

I think it's because brainwashing is so hard to undo.

This is why VBS should be banned and religion illegal to practice for anyone under 21.

• Like 1

Yes- RaLeah-- you nailed it!  It is brainwashing-- and apologists are very good at what they do-- some actually believe what they profess even!!  It is hard for me sometimes because people want to try to prove the bible true-- an archeological find becomes proof the bible is true.  An egyption story has some tenuous tie with a bible story--poof, the bible is true.  Some things are not easily disproven, and even as someone who no longer believes that that bible is true-- I find my self having to rely on faith sometimes to do just that.  A perfect example of this might be that in the future, if there is an archeological dig somewhere near where Nazareth is purported to be-- if the archeologist is trying to prove the bible-- any discovery will be trotted out as "Nazereth discovered--confirms Bible"-- uggh.  You then have your proof.  It may just be a community that existed, and have nothing to do with Nazereth, but you will never hear it like that!

Right, Kris! This is called confirmation bias. It means when we hear something that supports what we already think (even if it isn't true) we're more likely to believe it. (That is, we aren't nearly as critical of it as we might be if it went against what we believe or it was a neutral statement.)

Since there is a lack of supporting archeology, science, and history discoveries out there to bolster a believer's faith in the bible, they often end up grasping onto some ludicrous hoaxes, because that's pretty much all they have.

Yes, I was raised in a Fundamentalist Baptist Church and they insisted the Bible was the word of God.  No exceptions, every dotted i and crossed t.   It is extremely difficult to go to a more metaphorical and nonliteral approach after having had it hard wired into your skull that the Bible was basically God.

Then when I realized that it was not the Word of God, but had errors and was obviously the work of men, my rock bottom confidence in Christianity fell apart. If I had been raised with a more liberal approach, who knows, I might still be an xian but it was impossible once this basic confidence that this book was really unique was destroyed. I cannot accept an approach, such as a liberal church has, to the Bible that ignores passages on the premise that they are "too difficult". I have had the wool pulled over my eyes too long to accept that.

I still have to fight to keep perspective on things. I decided I would always read the other side of the story whenever I came upon something controversial. I decided I would never again accept the status quo. Although I find truth in eastern religions it will never be the case that I accept everything about any religion that I know of.

When a non-believer willingly enters into a debate on the potential meaning or interpretation of some specific scripture or book with a Christian they are acknowledging they believe the bible is in some way literally true. 

I agree with much of what you say, but not the above quote. One can point out that some passages taken in context mean something completely different from what Christians make them out to be. That demonstrates that the Christian's position is flawed, but it does not demonstrate that the Bible is actually true.

Why is it so hard for some to let go of the bible?  Same reason why its so hard for a child to let go of a favorite toy.  Its disturbing to watch someone who's grown past their faith still give any credibility to this childish book of fables.  Its somewhat like watching a full grown adult walk around with a teddy bear.

• Like 2

Being raised Catholic, I was never encouraged to read the Bible. I think it is common for Catholics to feel that they'll get all the Bible they need every week at Mass and there is no need to read it on your own. When I was a senior in high school, the priest teaching my religion class lectured that a literal interpretation of The Old Testament is not necessary and made it pretty clear that he himself did not believe that stories such as Adam and Eve and Noah and the flood were ever real people or events.

As I questioned more and finally read the Bible for myself and stopped going to Mass, it was easy to let go of it once and for all. I am amazed that people struggle to let go of this repulsive collection of mind poisoning threat theology.

When fundies try to lure me into Biblical debate, my favorite point to make now is that I consider any focus on debating the Bible as a waste of my precious time in this lovely universe.

• Like 1

My rigidly fundamentalist a-mum is attached to the bible as if she were a person on life support and the bible were the life support.  And she doesn't see this- but I do see it from the outside- where I think this deep and unhealthy attachment came from.  Her parents were not good parents.  They were abusive and cold and didn't know how to be parents and same with my a-dad.  The bible became a source of security, Yahweh a replacement parent telling them what is good and evil (oh god...the last thing we need is Yahweh teaching us morals, right?  rape virgins, ok, worship other god, not ok) and Yahweh supposedly going to be there to protect them and give them a future and all these things their parents didn't do.  It really is their security blanket they look at it as if it were a formula, do these things, you'll be safe.  Do these things, you'll suffer. 

Now here is the difference between a-parents and I...experience.  I did not have parents from the beginning of my life I needed to be my own parents.  Sure I got adoptive parents early on but it's very different than having the bio ones.  You are still an orphan.  My life experience being vastly different than theirs, realizing that applying the "truths and promises" of the bible yielded me no results (and in fact did a lot of damage with false hopes and messed up morality).  For instance I know if I'd had my real mum alive she would have taught me its wrong to lie and she would have explained to me why it's important to be a truthful person.  With a-mum all that mattered was being "right with Christ" (having said a sinner's prayer) so really it doesn't matter if we lie or not.  I grew up to be a pathological liar because I was never taught real values and true morality. 

I guess I'm getting off point here a bit but suffice to say that life experience and passion for truth and real morality led me away from the bible whilst my a-mum was led toward the bible by her black and white thinking, her need for security and a parental figure.  What are these fundamentalist Christians going to do when the rug is pulled out from under their feet by some unexpected tragedy and they find that there is no god there to save them?

... a-mum ... a-dad. ... a-parents ...

Just curious, what does the "a-" stand for?

EDIT: Oh, I guess it means "adoptive."

The Catholic Church doesn't emphasize the Bible because to the Catholics, tradition holds an equal or higher place than scripture. They don't idolize it to the extent that Protestants do.

Americans can't escape the Bible.

It's in every motel room. We swear on the Bible. It's the most common literary reference. It is the symbol of America, just like the flag.

It's no wonder some people have difficulty not taking it seriously. The fucking book is everywhere.

My coworker in the area I work in a lot during the week has a little green gideon bible from a hotel at his desk everyday and a devotional reader.

I come in and immediatly go to work and he spends his first 45 min reading the fucking bible. Sure he gets paid and if I say one word about it to my boss who is also a christian I will take shit for it and be called intolerant even though he is wasting resources in the form of time paid for zero work.

I don't think he noticed yet but a few days ago when he was not here I crossed out some passages and wrote in other stuff in some of the stories... I bet he says nothing and a new bible shows up in a week or two...

I can type responses here while I work a few minutes here and there and am 150% more productive than he is even when he is actually doing anything other than nodding off at his desk...

Thank you gideons...assholes.

.........  But, letting go, or getting tripped up by the Bible at times happens to me more often than I wish it would. 

Would i...........e Word of God?

The Catholic Church doesn't emphasize the Bible because to the Catholics, tradition holds an equal or higher place than scripture. They don't idolize it to the extent that Protestants do.

The Catholic Church doesn't emphasize the Bible because most of their rituals are man made, so they don't want their flock to read for themselves, they might learn that their religion is false......................

Would it be helpful at all for you to know that there is not one single word that has thus far been found anywhere in the annals of history that confirms anything written in the gospels actually happened, or that any of the gospel characters ever existed in the flesh, including Jesus?

Most people are not aware no one even knows where the gospels came from? The only existed in oral form for untold decades before anyone began writing them down. There are no original autographs because they never existed in the first place. The similarities between the gospels and numerous other pagan dying rising god men stories is impossible to conceal. These stories existed for hundreds of years before the Jesus story began to circulate.

Many of the NT writings are proven forgeries. Paul’s letters preceded the gospels by decades and if they are read it context it becomes evident that Paul was unaware of an earthly Jesus. Paul’s Jesus was a spiritual messiah that lived in the heavens. God spoke to Paul through the OT not by verbal inspiration. Paul believed Jesus was coming soon to establish an earthly Kingdom but that has yet to occur.

No one named Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John wrote anything. Those names were added to the oral stories after they were written down decades later by unknown scribes. When the bible is read and studied form the historic critical method the stories and events quickly unravel and it becomes clear the stories are myths. When the Book of Acts, for example, is read by a critical historian it quickly becomes obvious that the entire book is a complete fabrication. Its fiction disguised as history and that is true of the gospels too.

The entire bible is a collection of myths and fables masquerading as historical fact. There is no, as in none, not any paper trail that confirms any of it ever happened. According to history no one living in the early part of the first century ever heard of a man named Jesus of Nazareth and that makes sense because Nazareth didn't exist when Jesus supposedly walked the earth.

And all of that only touches on all the problems with the gospels and the bible in general  that have been exposed to the light of day by religious scholars.

Do you have solid proof the Bible is not the Word of God?

I will refer you to Dr. Bart Ehrman, Dr. Elaine Pagels, Dr. Garry Wills, Dr. Karen Armstrong, Dr. Robert M. Price, and Dr. John Dominic Crossan. After you have finished reading their books I'll give you another list.

I will refer you to Dr. Bart Ehrman, Dr. Elaine Pagels, Dr. Garry Wills, Dr. Karen Armstrong, Dr. Robert M. Price, and Dr. John Dominic Crossan. After you have finished reading their books I'll give you another list.

A list of books written by imperfect humans........

The Catholic Church doesn't emphasize the Bible because most of their rituals are man made, so they don't want their flock to read for themselves, they might learn that their religion is false......................

Yes, just like all the other man made religions on this planet. If you have any interest in learning where religion came from I will suggest you read A History of God by Dr. Karen Armstrong.

http://www.amazon.com/History-God-000-Year-Judaism-Christianity/dp/0345384563

A list of books written by imperfect humans........

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were asking a serous question and was seeking a serious informed answer. Apparently you are just trolling. No problem, it apparently gives you something to do.

Yes, just like all the other man made religions on this planet. If you have any interest in learning where religion came from I will suggest you read A History of God by Dr. Karen Armstrong.

http://www.amazon.com/History-God-000-Year-Judaism-Christianity/dp/0345384563

An imperfect human writing a book about God based on the Catholic religion? Oh please.