Goodbye Jesus

Why Did You Choose Atheism?

Woodsy

I suppose I am technically an atheist but if I am labeling myself I prefer 'skeptic' because it is more descriptive, and because 'atheist' seems so loaded.

Skepticism is a broader principle and has to do with examining evidence obtained via the scientific method in order to determine the likelihood of a claim.  Before I discovered I was an atheist, I was already skeptical about things such as spiritual warfare, ghost, aliens, etc.  So it was easier to just say that I am applying my skepticism more consistently, than doing an about face with my beliefs.

I identify more with skepticism than with full blown atheism because it encompasses more of how I try to think about things, like the same principles of atheism applied to other things. That so because the science part of it is what convinces me more than anything else that Christianity is a very convincing illusion, and not in any way compatible with what we know to be true of the universe or ourselves. The principles of skeptcism and the importance of evidence-based reasoning for ruling out falsehood, deception snd superstition, are some of the MOST IMPORTANT tools we hav for improving the quality of life on this planet.

I can't rule out the possibility of any higher mind, but is certainly not concerned with whether of not I play with my naughty bits or eat bacon.

I agree with everything in your post and consider myself an athiest (and a skeptic too of course).  Not sure what you mean by full blown atheism?

Funny I basically posted the same thing twice without remembering.  I'm not sure what I meant by 'full blown' either. I think it's just my choice of labels, but 'atheist' just seems like a loaded word and I'm more comfortable with 'skeptic' for right now.

Funny I basically posted the same thing twice without remembering.  I'm not sure what I meant by 'full blown' either. I think it's just my choice of labels, but 'atheist' just seems like a loaded word and I'm more comfortable with 'skeptic' for right now.

Fair enough, I'm all for people choosing a label they feel most comfortable with.  Skeptic is a good label because it says more about a much wider range of things.  I also like the labels secular humanist and freethinker.

I identify more with skepticism than with full blown atheism because it encompasses more of how I try to think about things, like the same principles of atheism applied to other things. That so because the science part of it is what convinces me more than anything else that Christianity is a very convincing illusion, and not in any way compatible with what we know to be true of the universe or ourselves. The principles of skeptcism and the importance of evidence-based reasoning for ruling out falsehood, deception snd superstition, are some of the MOST IMPORTANT tools we hav for improving the quality of life on this planet.

I can't rule out the possibility of any higher mind, but is certainly not concerned with whether of not I play with my naughty bits or eat bacon.

l'm skeptical of ALL absolutes. haha.

I like "skeptical freethinker" and "humanist."

I like agnostic and humanist best.  

May be fence-sitting, but Christian dogmatism got me way too much into good v. bad, right v. wrong, us v. them.  

Atheism chose me.  There was a spirited recruitment process, culminating in a bidding war between the atheists and agnostics.  Turns out the atheists can get me backstage at the annual beer festival, and I get to use the performers' port-a-potty instead of waiting in line.

The humanists thought I would join them out of the goodness of my heart.  Dumbasses.

• Like 2

For me it wasn't a "choice" per se.  At first, all I knew was that I no longer believed in the bible.  Next, I realized that I had no reason to believe there was a god at all (This is an over simplified statement.  Coming to this position was a long, complex process.).  Once I learned what the word atheist means, a lack of belief in god(s), I realized that described me. For me, atheism wasn't a choice, it was a realization that that is what I already was. 

Atheism, in the pure sense of the word, leaves room for the possibility of god(s) existing, but does not believe in the existence of god(s) because there is simply no evidence to support the idea.  

I don't believe in the bible god or any other god who supposedly "revealed" things to certain humans. I don't have a clue as to whether there is a god or gods other than "revealing" gods.  I don't have a deep enough understanding of science to be an atheist.   People can pick whatever label they chose for me.   bill

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
People can pick whatever label they chose for me.   bill

Okay if I call you Bill?

• Super Moderator

People can pick whatever label they chose for me.   bill

Quoted for truth.  Other than "apatheist", I don't label myself.  There are plenty of others out there who will do that for me.

Guest ninurta

I don't like the atheist label because I don't like the tone and authoritative claims regarding subjects outside of popular atheist speakers' areas of expertise.  I don't want to be thought of as a disciple of Hitchens, Dawkins or Shermer.

You're a humble guy from what I know of you. It's a respectable thing. Though why care so much what others think? Over the past year, I've gone from somewhere along similar lines, to just not caring. Sure it bristles some feathers, but sometimes making people uncomfortable with questions is what builds them up.

As far as the reputation of Hitchens, Dawkins, or Shermer, I'd be gladly associated with them. I don't agree with them on everything, but their clarity of thought and consistency is something to be admired.

I don't like these labels, nor the atheist label, though all labels that hold true apply to me. I'm a skeptic, freethinker, humanist, atheist, and agnostic; But I don't care either way.

I'd be honored to be a disciple of Shermer or Dawkins.

I don't like the atheist label because I don't like the tone and authoritative claims regarding subjects outside of popular atheist speakers' areas of expertise.  I don't want to be thought of as a disciple of Hitchens, Dawkins or Shermer.

You're a humble guy from what I know of you. It's a respectable thing. Though why care so much what others think? Over the past year, I've gone from somewhere along similar lines, to just not caring. Sure it bristles some feathers, but sometimes making people uncomfortable with questions is what builds them up.

As far as the reputation of Hitchens, Dawkins, or Shermer, I'd be gladly associated with them. I don't agree with them on everything, but their clarity of thought and consistency is something to be admired.

I don't like these labels, nor the atheist label, though all labels that hold true apply to me. I'm a skeptic, freethinker, humanist, atheist, and agnostic; But I don't care either way.

I don't know when you decided that I'm a horrible guy, but I don't imagine that it was any interactions that you had with me personally.  I've given my time and money without asking for anything in return.  

I don't know when you decided that I'm a horrible guy, but I don't imagine that it was any interactions that you had with me personally.  I've given my time and money without asking for anything in return.  

Who skyped you on your birthday?  Fuck.  You hurt my feelings.

Guest ninurta

I said humble, not horrible. It was a compliment.

Guest ninurta

It was also a way of saying, "I see and understand where you're coming from. Your view is valid. Though I think the opposing view equally valid." As I was about to take an opposite stance.

Oh, wow.  Thanks for clarifying that. I need glasses.  :)

Guest ninurta

Oh, wow.  Thanks for clarifying that. I need glasses.  smile.png

Gives TrueFreedom a big hug! Nah, I think you're a great guy. I could never refer to you as horrible. :)

We all misread things at times. Even worse, is when we mistype things, and they actually spell something. It could be worse ;)

I'm just trying to state more often that I can see other peoples points of view. I'm trying hard in debates to seem less narcissistic. I've found out over the past year, that its probably the cause of half my social problems, on top of my social anxiety.

You are good people, ninurta.  We all have areas to work on.  Keep at it.

Sorry for derailing.  I'll get back to working on my issues.

I don't believe in the bible god or any other god who supposedly "revealed" things to certain humans. I don't have a clue as to whether there is a god or gods other than "revealing" gods.  I don't have a deep enough understanding of science to be an atheist.   People can pick whatever label they chose for me.   bill

I'm confused, why is a deep understanding of science necessary for being an atheist? Curious.

florduh: I've been called worse many times.  Ask my wife. On second thought...... bill